inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's official, 2022 sucks

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/23/22 at 10:18 pm

Russia just declared war and started bombing cities in Ukraine unprovoked. My wife is from there so this is really hitting us hard. Not to mention nothing else seems to be going right.

Subject: Re: It's official, 2022 sucks

Written By: Elor on 02/23/22 at 11:13 pm

I just hope that the west will find some much stronger answers this time than when Russia took Crimea.

On the other hand do we even have a leg to stand on after the invasion of Iraq? ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/22 at 8:27 am

I just hope that the west will find some much stronger answers this time than when Russia took Crimea.

On the other hand do we even have a leg to stand on after the invasion of Iraq? ::)

I hope we will have stronger answers than just sanctions. You can't compare it to Iraq since that's totally different. It may or may not have been about the oil, but the country was under an oppressive regime. Ukraine is a sovereign country which was blatantly attacked. It's not just about Ukraine either, the rest of the world will feel the effects of this, and it's about to get ugly. I'll take 2020 and the pandemic over this.

Written By: Elor on 02/24/22 at 8:52 am

I hope we will have stronger answers than just sanctions. You can't compare it to Iraq since that's totally different. It may or may not have been about the oil, but the country was under an oppressive regime. Ukraine is a sovereign country which was blatantly attacked. It's not just about Ukraine either, the rest of the world will feel the effects of this, and it's about to get ugly. I'll take 2020 and the pandemic over this.
Iraq was a sovereign country too so it's actually the exact same thing.The type of government is completely irrelevant. One country attacks another one without being provoked to do so.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/22 at 10:00 am

Iraq was a sovereign country too so it's actually the exact same thing.The type of government is completely irrelevant. One country attacks another one without being provoked to do so.

I still don't think it's the same, but that's missing the point of this entire thread.

Subject: Ukraine crisis: Uefa to move Champions League final after Russian invasion

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/22 at 10:55 am

Uefa will take the 2022 Champions League final away from St Petersburg following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The decision will be made at Friday's emergency meeting of European football's governing body. Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a military invasion of neighbouring Ukraine on Thursday. World football's governing body Fifa is to meet on Thursday, with Russia and Ukraine both scheduled to play in World Cup play-off matches in March. Russia are set to play Poland on 24 March, while Scotland host Ukraine on the same day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60504979

Written By: Elor on 02/24/22 at 11:26 am

And the majority of Canadians seem to be on the government's side rather than the people's side.
Do you see a contradiction here?

*edit*
Nevermind, seems the post was deleted while I responded.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/24/22 at 11:27 am

I agree BatFan. 2022 is looking like it is gonna really suck. Like "2020 too" as the name suggests. But even worse than 2020 it seems so far. This is very sad and horrifying what's happening in the Ukraine now. I am sorry you're family is there. I cannot believe they are attacking civilians. This makes me so angry.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/24/22 at 11:29 am

Do you see a contradiction here?

*edit*
Nevermind, seems the post was deleted while I responded.

I deleted that whole post since I didn't see the news and what's happening in the Ukraine until right now. What's going on over there is much more important and concerning. Despite government overreach here, it cannot compare to what's happening with the Russia-Ukraine situation.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/24/22 at 11:31 am

Let's all hope it doesn't happen, but this could quickly spiral out of control.

The best thing we can do right now is try our best to be strong and keep cool heads.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/22 at 1:42 pm

Eurovision: Russia can compete despite invasion of Ukraine

For me this is all wrong!

Russia will be allowed to participate in this year's Eurovision Song Contest, despite launching a military assault on neighbouring Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60514388

Written By: Howard on 02/24/22 at 2:11 pm

I agree BatFan. 2022 is looking like it is gonna really suck. Like "2020 too" as the name suggests. But even worse than 2020 it seems so far. This is very sad and horrifying what's happening in the Ukraine now. I am sorry you're family is there. I cannot believe they are attacking civilians. This makes me so angry.

We're not even into the 3rd month in 2022 and how can you say that 22 sucks?  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/22 at 2:38 pm

Thank you for the support. Yeah, suddenly not being able to get a haircut or attend concerts or sporting events doesn't seem so bad. The surreal feeling from watching the news (especially since it's a city I'm familiar with from visiting family) is what brings back the feelings from 2020.

Let's all hope it doesn't happen, but this could quickly spiral out of control.

The best thing we can do right now is try our best to be strong and keep cool heads.

Putin has gone psycho. I wouldn't put anything past him, and that's scary knowing his/Russia's capabilities and his threats.

What we are seeing is something that hasn't been seen by anyone under around 80, and could be worse than that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/22 at 2:41 pm

We're not even into the 3rd month in 2022 and how can you say that 22 sucks?  ::)

Mainly because of the last 18 hours. Ever since about 10 pm Eastern (5 am Ukraine time) has been every minute "but wait, there's more!" At least in 2020 we had until mid-March. I don't think it's going to get better over the next 10 months either. We're going to be feeling the impact of this, on top of the impacts we're already dealing with from the pandemic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/22 at 2:44 pm

In the meantime, China sent warplanes into the Taiwan airspace. While the world is not looking when concentrating on Ukraine, who knows what will go on?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/22 at 3:07 pm

In the meantime, China sent warplanes into the Taiwan airspace. While the world is not looking when concentrating on Ukraine, who knows what will go on?

It is a perfect storm for a World War III scenario. China allying with Russia, and possibly India. Don't forget North Korea with their capabilities. What the world has always feared could become a reality.

Suddenly the pandemic has become old news, and it's not technically over. Just something more concerning is happening.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/22 at 3:08 pm

I think this is basically "Count Vlad's" last hurrah. He has overstepped this time. For a few years now, I have been saying that Count Vlad's days are numbered. Yeah, he basically just took Crimea before anyone knew what happened. This time, the entire world is watching and the entire world will hold him accountable. And when this is all said and done, Russia will have a new leader and Crimea will once again be part of Ukraine.

Unfortunately, before all of that will happen, the people of Ukraine ARE in the cross-hairs. They have been for the past 8 years. I am hoping that the European Union along with the U.S., U.K. and most other nations of the world will help defend Ukraine against a Hitler wannabee trying to take over the European continent. 

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/24/22 at 4:31 pm

I think this is basically "Count Vlad's" last hurrah. He has overstepped this time. For a few years now, I have been saying that Count Vlad's days are numbered. Yeah, he basically just took Crimea before anyone knew what happened. This time, the entire world is watching and the entire world will hold him accountable. And when this is all said and done, Russia will have a new leader and Crimea will once again be part of Ukraine.

Unfortunately, before all of that will happen, the people of Ukraine ARE in the cross-hairs. They have been for the past 8 years. I am hoping that the European Union along with the U.S., U.K. and most other nations of the world will help defend Ukraine against a Hitler wannabee trying to take over the European continent. 

Cat

I can't see how this doesn't blow up in Putin's face but if it does and he ends up getting backed into a corner, who knows what he'll do out of desperation.  :o :o :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/22 at 4:41 pm

I can't see how this doesn't blow up in Putin's face but if it does and he ends up getting backed into a corner, who knows what he'll do out of desperation.  :o :o :o

Very true. I think I heard that he has already threatened to use nukes.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/24/22 at 5:52 pm

Very true. I think I heard that he has already threatened to use nukes.

Cat

I would not be surprised if he disrupted our supply chains and power grid with cyberattacks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/22 at 6:03 pm

I would not be surprised if he disrupted our supply chains and power grid with cyberattacks.

He already has. Last year Russia launched the SolarWinds hack and several hospitals were also hacked.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/22 at 6:34 pm

He already has. Last year Russia launched the SolarWinds hack and several hospitals were also hacked.

Cat

And the Colonial Pipeline which affected the region I live, with ransomware.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/24/22 at 6:47 pm

Interesting all the fuss about Russia invading the Ukraine. Where was the outrage when the US invaded Iraq without provocation, or when the US bombed Libya? (Both actions, by the way, that I staunchly opposed)

I am not advocating what the Russkies are doing, but hypocrisy is in ample supply here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/22 at 6:56 pm

Interesting all the fuss about Russia invading the Ukraine. Where was the outrage when the US invaded Iraq without provocation, or when the US bombed Libya? (Both actions, by the way, that I staunchly opposed)

I am not advocating what the Russkies are doing, but hypocrisy is in ample supply here.

I was against that, too. I was VERY angry when the U.S. invaded Iraq. You can go back into the archives and read what I wrote back then.

Cat

Written By: Emman on 02/24/22 at 7:25 pm

I've thought about that too, this is a very bad situation that seems lose-lose, if the US/NATO doesn't do anything/or not enough then faith in the US and it's economy will tank. If the US reaction is too strong, we risk a tit for tat that could escalate into thermonuclear warfare.

The global US lead order created after World War 2 has been crumbling for several years, in fact around 2015-ish, before Trump's election and Brexit, I predicted major upheaval and I got flak for it from a poster on here, I've hated to been right about my predictions.

Written By: Elor on 02/24/22 at 9:47 pm

The international outrage was there. Your coalition of the willing was pretty small after all. I guess you just didn't hear much about it in the US? ???
But overall I agree with you. However I don't think it would have been in our interest to put massive sanctions on the US for obvious reasons. :-X

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/22 at 9:51 am

The international outrage was there. Your coalition of the willing was pretty small after all. I guess you just didn't hear much about it in the US? ???
But overall I agree with you. However I don't think it would have been in our interest to put massive sanctions on the US for obvious reasons. :-X

Throughout US history we have done lots of reprehensible things, no doubt about it.  On the other hand, we have done some rather good things, as has every other nation.  There's enough hypocrisy in this world to go around ten times over.  In this case, I think Putin is an existential threat to the western world, which I for one am rather fond of, so I hope NATO and the EU  stop him in his tracks

Written By: Elor on 02/25/22 at 10:06 am

I think Putin is an existential threat to the western world, which I for one am rather fond of, so I hope NATO and the EU  stop him in his tracks

So do I.
I also really hope that Europe in general and Germany in particular will finally get their act together before it's too late. For more than 20 years I've been saying that we can't just let our armed forces deteriorate the way we have to the point of them being non functional. Freedom has a price tag and one is either willing to pay it or will fall under "new management" at some point. >:(
Too bad so many people here have been fast asleep when it comes to that and there were/are even people who wanted to get rid of the armed forces all together and get out of NATO. I hope they realize what a huge egg they have on their face right now but I doubt it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/22 at 10:25 am

This, from the Washington Post, lays out some of whats at stake:

By David Ignatius
Columnist
Yesterday at 8:20 p.m. EST

When Russian President Vladimir Putin launched his all-out invasion of Ukraine on Thursday, he effectively ended the post-Cold War era. A new architecture for global relations must be built, and its shape will depend on whether Putin’s brutal campaign succeeds or fails.
Opinions to start the day, in your inbox. Sign up.

Putin’s attack awakened the ghosts of war that had haunted Europe for a century. The world watched in horror as a massive assault force attacked Ukraine from three sides with missiles, bombs, tanks and the electronic wizardry of cyberwarfare. Scores of nations condemned the invasion. But the gut-wrenching fact is that Ukraine is fighting Putin by itself.

The Post's View: Why Ukraine -- and Russian aggression against it -- matters to Americans

This conflict isn’t a case of sleepwalking toward war, as historians have described the blind march into World War I in 1914. It is closer to the attack that a bitter, vengeful German leader launched on neighboring Czechoslovakia in 1939. Putin isn’t Adolf Hitler — yet — but he shares a similar brooding obsession with settling scores by military force.

Putin’s willingness to escalate all the way to war has been increasingly clear to the Biden administration since CIA Director William J. Burns visited Moscow in early November. He traveled there to warn Putin that U.S. intelligence had concluded that behind a Russian troop buildup along Ukraine’s border lay serious war-planning.

Burns told colleagues that Putin, normally a cool calculator, seemed ready to go to war. Partly, it appeared to be a sense of personal destiny as Putin neared age 70, partly his calculation that the moment was ripe because the United States and its allies were disoriented while Russia was relatively strong. At the core was Putin’s long-standing obsession with a defiant Ukraine, which he saw moving inexorably toward the West despite Kremlin warnings — and against the weight of Russian history itself.

Sebastian Mallaby: How Putin has fortified Russia against the West's sanctions

Putin had expressed his fixation with Ukraine to Burns back in 2008, when Burns was the U.S. ambassador to Moscow. That conversation, described in Burns’s 2019 memoir, makes for eerie reading now, with missiles falling on Kyiv. “Doesn’t your government know that Ukraine is unstable and immature politically and NATO is very divisive there?” Putin admonished Burns. “Don’t you know that Ukraine is not even a real country? Part of it is really East European and part is really Russian.”

Putin repeated those words almost precisely this week in announcing the war. Ukraine is his rawest nerve. He evidently believes that Russia cannot be a great power unless it controls Ukraine.

The Biden administration tried to deter Putin by warning him of potentially crippling sanctions, which it imposed on Thursday shortly after the invasion began. The White House also adopted a novel disruption tactic of revealing Russian military planning, false-flag plots to provoke war and even schemes for targeted killings.

Officials believe this information barrage checked some of Putin’s plans; it also shattered the narrative Putin had hoped to create. For once, the United States had the initiative in the information wars in which the Russian leader has been so adept.

As Putin moved toward all-out war, he was counseled by a tiny inner circle, led by three hard-liners: Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu; FSB chief Alexander Bortnikov; and security council chief Nikolai Patrushev. Lower down in the military and Kremlin bureaucracy, some were skeptical about the Ukraine war plans, U.S. officials believe. But that questioning clearly didn’t penetrate to Putin himself.

Now that Russian troops have surged into Ukraine, how does Putin plan to extricate himself? It’s likely that he hopes to keep Russian ground troops out of Kyiv and other big cities, instead using Spetsnaz special forces and FSB operatives to neutralize these targets. He will probably seek to install a puppet government. But here’s where U.S. officials believe Putin’s planning breaks down.

What Putin doesn’t appear to realize, with his vision of Russian-Ukrainian oneness, is that his bullying has deeply alienated Ukrainians. I saw that anti-Putin sentiment when I visited Kyiv in late January, and it’s undoubtedly even stronger now that Russian tanks are on the streets and jets are in the sky. Putin obviously believed his own rhetoric that Ukraine wasn’t a real country. That level of self-absorption so often leads to mistakes.

Eugene Robinson: Putin's attack on Ukraine is about more than his own delusions of grandeur

With his unprovoked invasion, Putin has shattered the international legal rules established after World War II, along with the European order that followed the Cold War. That old architecture was getting shaky, and it was destined to be replaced eventually.

The Ukraine assault, pitting a messianic Russian autocrat against the wishes of every other major nation, perhaps including China, will determine the shape of the new order to come. If Putin loses his battle to subjugate Ukraine, the new order will have a solid and promising foundation. If Putin wins, the new era will be very dangerous indeed.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/25/22 at 1:00 pm

Eurovision: Russia can compete despite invasion of Ukraine

For me this is all wrong!

Russia will be allowed to participate in this year's Eurovision Song Contest, despite launching a military assault on neighbouring Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60514388

Not anymore. Russia has been banned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60530513

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/25/22 at 1:49 pm

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/22 at 12:45 am

See and I love how, after GeeDubya voiced his opposition to Trump a few years back, the media stsrted to portray him as being some genial, affable elder statesman.

"Operation Iraqi Freedom" was the biggest foreign policy disaster in American history, and GeeDubya should never, ever be forgiven for it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/22 at 8:58 am

Now here’s a bit of background. While the Russian invasion is clearly wrong, what really burns me is the “virtue signaling” that somehow Ukraine is some sort of bastion of democracy. It isn’t.

Ukrainian President Zelenskyy’s election campaign was heavily funded by one oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky. Ol’ Ihor is not permitted to enter the USA because he and his cronies (a couple of whom I’ve had the displeasure of having to meet, and all of with whom I refused to do business) were laundering billions of dollars of funds through US institutions.  Said money having been plundered from Ukraine’s Privat Bank, which ultimately was nationalized (~$5.5 Billion missing) due to the shenanigans. None of this stopped Zelenskyy from allying with Kolomoisky.

But more about the oligarch. He funded the rise of Yulia Tymoshenko. He then funded her ouster when she did not play ball with him. He funded his own private army to strong-arm businesses from other owners. He then funded his own army again in 2014 during the “revolution” and was appointed Governor of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast (roughly equivalent to an American state).

Exiled from Ukraine prior to Zelenskyy’s election, Ihor immediately came back, and officials in the “democratically elected” government have learned to not mess with him. Read about it here: https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/will-zelenskyy-target-all-ukrainian-oligarchs-equally/.

My point in all of this? Virtue-signaling about the Ukrainian “democracy” is misplaced. The government over there is bought and paid for by the oligarchs.

But don’t listen to me. Read what the US State Department has to say about this confidante of President Zelenskyy: https://www.state.gov/public-designation-of-oligarch-and-former-ukrainian-public-official-ihor-kolomoyskyy-due-to-involvement-in-significant-corruption/

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/26/22 at 9:39 am

Now here’s a bit of background. While the Russian invasion is clearly wrong, what really burns me is the “virtue signaling” that somehow Ukraine is some sort of bastion of democracy. It isn’t.

Ukrainian President Zelenskyy’s election campaign was heavily funded by one oligarch Ihor Kolomoisky. Ol’ Ihor is not permitted to enter the USA because he and his cronies (a couple of whom I’ve had the displeasure of having to meet, and all of with whom I refused to do business) were laundering billions of dollars of funds through US institutions.  Said money having been plundered from Ukraine’s Privat Bank, which ultimately was nationalized (~$5.5 Billion missing) due to the shenanigans. None of this stopped Zelenskyy from allying with Kolomoisky.

But more about the oligarch. He funded the rise of Yulia Tymoshenko. He then funded her ouster when she did not play ball with him. He funded his own private army to strong-arm businesses from other owners. He then funded his own army again in 2014 during the “revolution” and was appointed Governor of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast (roughly equivalent to an American state).

Exiled from Ukraine prior to Zelenskyy’s election, Ihor immediately came back, and officials in the “democratically elected” government have learned to not mess with him. Read about it here: https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/will-zelenskyy-target-all-ukrainian-oligarchs-equally/.

My point in all of this? Virtue-signaling about the Ukrainian “democracy” is misplaced. The government over there is bought and paid for by the oligarchs.

But don’t listen to me. Read what the US State Department has to say about this confidante of President Zelenskyy: https://www.state.gov/public-designation-of-oligarch-and-former-ukrainian-public-official-ihor-kolomoyskyy-due-to-involvement-in-significant-corruption/

This is why Ukraine is not already part of the EU or NATO.  But apparently it is (was) moving to end the corruption and build a working democracy.  In any case it appears that the Ukrainians don't want to be part of Putin's paradise and it is in the interests of the EU and NATO to support their desire for independence     

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/22 at 11:43 am

This is why Ukraine is not already part of the EU or NATO.  But apparently it is (was) moving to end the corruption and build a working democracy.  In any case it appears that the Ukrainians don't want to be part of Putin's paradise and it is in the interests of the EU and NATO to support their desire for independence   

The President courting Mr. Kolomoisky is not what I would characterize as “moving to end the corruption”.

Written By: Elor on 02/26/22 at 3:54 pm

Germany has finally decided to send anti tank and anti air weapons to Ukraine. The government also allowed other nations to deliver arms of German production to Ukraine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/22 at 4:14 pm

Germany has finally decided to send anti tank and anti air weapons to Ukraine. The government also allowed other nations to deliver arms of German production to Ukraine.

Good! I was saying to Carlos yesterday, "It is great that everyone is wearing Ukraine colors in solidarity but the Ukrainians are alone in this fight. I wish that other nations would send military to help them."

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/22 at 4:44 pm

Good! I was saying to Carlos yesterday, "It is great that everyone is wearing Ukraine colors in solidarity but the Ukrainians are alone in this fight. I wish that other nations would send military to help them."

Cat

Since the United States Air Force is phasing out the A-10 Warthog, why couldn't our government just donate some of them to the Ukrainian Air Force and train their pilots to fly them? They'd make mincemeat out of Russian tanks.

Plus, I don't know if you ever seen them in action but the A-10 is one of the most awesome and terrifying warplanes ever built, and the effect they'd have on the morale of Russian troops would be devastating.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/22 at 4:47 pm

Since the United States Air Force is phasing out the A-10 Warthog, why couldn't our government just donate some of them to the Ukrainian Air Force and train their pilots to fly them? They'd make mincemeat out of Russian tanks.

Plus, I don't know if you ever seen them in action but the A-10 is one of the most awesome and terrifying warplanes ever built, and the effect they'd have on the morale of Russian troops would be devastating.

I know we are giving them some firepower but I don't know exactly what.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/22 at 5:18 pm

I know we are giving them some firepower but I don't know exactly what.

Cat

Mostly Javelin anti-tank missiles from what I've heard, which are also supposed to be very effective against Russian armored vehicles.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/22 at 6:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzgViS4Rpf8

Cat

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/22 at 11:25 pm

We will see how this all plays out.

Written By: Elor on 02/27/22 at 1:57 am

Because you need to train pilots and ground crews for months or even years to become effective. Another thing is that the Warthog is super slow and has very limited air to air capabilities. It's a pure bred ground attack aircraft. It can only be used when air superiority is achieved or it will be destroyed by enemy fighters with ease. There is no way for Ukraine to get air superiority over Russia so the A10 would be worthless to them. Besides to my knowledge all plans to phase the A10 out of US service were stopped indefinitely and the plane isn't going anywhere.

If Ukraine request jets I would suggest F16s (should be in ample supply in your bone yards). They can do both air to air and air to ground combat. But again training the personnel would probably take too long.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/27/22 at 7:09 am

You must’ve missed the entire first page of this thread.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/27/22 at 9:15 am

You must’ve missed the entire first page of this thread.

Again, I don't want to sound like one of those biased Americans that say "America is always the good one" or "God is always on our side", but you cannot compare the likes George W. Bush or any US president to the likes of Putin, and you cannot compare the likes of Vladimir Zelensky to the likes of Saddam Hussein or Gaddafi. I'll admit I wasn't for going to war with Iraq, even when I had to act like I was in 2003 since I was in the military, but that wasn't near the level of evil and malice that Putin is going against Ukraine. Also Ukraine is not a breeding ground for extremist groups like Iraq which our troops also had to help protect the free Iraqis from.

Written By: Elor on 02/27/22 at 10:19 am

Again, I don't want to sound like one of those biased Americans that say "America is always the good one" or "God is always on our side", but you cannot compare the likes George W. Bush or any US president to the likes of Putin, and you cannot compare the likes of Vladimir Zelensky to the likes of Saddam Hussein or Gaddafi. I'll admit I wasn't for going to war with Iraq, even when I had to act like I was in 2003 since I was in the military, but that wasn't near the level of evil and malice that Putin is going against Ukraine. Also Ukraine is not a breeding ground for extremist groups like Iraq which our troops also had to help protect the free Iraqis from.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean I don't want to come across as an America hating a$$hole but from my perspective it is comparable:
Did the Iraqi people invite you? No.
Did Iraq threaten you or any other nation at that point? No.
Did you need fabricated evidence as an excuse for your invasion? Yes.
Did the invasion and it's aftermath leave hundreds of thousands dead? Yes (some sources claim up to 460,000 dead).

Sorry but that doesn't sound "good" to me.
You can't just invade a country and pile up the bodies because you don't like the government and then call it justified without asking the people who you "liberated".
Besides to my knowledge Iraq wasn't a breeding ground for extremists until you removed Saddam. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm not that deep into that, but to my knowledge Saddam saw all Islamic extremists groups as a danger to his absolute power and would therefore crack down on them. If that's correct you actually created the need to protect the Iraqis from extremists yourself.

Anyway, enough America bashing from me back to the Ukrainian mess.
In the wake of the Putin invasion Germany has finally announced to massively improve it's military spending (as was long demanded by NATO allies but skillfully ignored for decades). At least they seem to have finally woken up from their nice "peaceful world" dream. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/27/22 at 1:38 pm

I'm not so sure about that. I mean I don't want to come across as an America hating a$$hole but from my perspective it is comparable:
Did the invasion and it's aftermath leave hundreds of thousands dead? Yes (some sources claim up to 460,000 dead).

You can't just invade a country and pile up the bodies because you don't like the government and then call it justified without asking the people who you "liberated".
Besides to my knowledge Iraq wasn't a breeding ground for extremists until you removed Saddam. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm not that deep into that, but to my knowledge Saddam saw all Islamic extremists groups as a danger to his absolute power and would therefore crack down on them. If that's correct you actually created the need to protect the Iraqis from extremists yourself.

In the wake of the Putin invasion Germany has finally announced to massively improve it's military spending (as was long demanded by NATO allies but skillfully ignored for decades). At least they seem to have finally woken up from their nice "peaceful world" dream. ::)

Elor, I AM an American and I agree with you. In the run-up to the Iraq war, I was in a Rio De Janeiro on business. The Brazilians were curious as to what I thought about it.

I told them “Iraq is no threat to us, and they certainly are not in bed with Al Qaeda.  If anything, in their eyes he’s gotta go too. Invading Iraq will be a disaster because it will unleash all sorts of intra-Islamic violence”.

And I was right on all counts. Invading Iraq was a stupid move. GWB just wanted to “get back at Saddam” for his attempt on GHWB’s life years before, and both Democrat and Republican senators went along for the ride.

It was a waste of American blood, fortune, and credibility.

Written By: Emman on 02/27/22 at 3:10 pm

I'm hearing stories of Ukrainians refusing to let Africans go into Poland, threatening them at gun point, time for racism even during an invasion.

I'm not a African immigrant but as a black american I find this despicable, we're being ramped into hating Russians but the US backed and funded neo nazi groups in Ukraine, I'm guessing that's what Putin was referring to when he said he wanted to "de nazify" Ukraine. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/27/22 at 3:33 pm

I'm hearing stories of Ukrainians refusing to let Africans go into Poland, threatening them at gun point, time for racism even during an invasion.

I'm not a African immigrant but as a black american I find this despicable, we're being ramped into hating Russians but the US backed and funded neo nazi groups in Ukraine, I'm guessing that's what Putin was referring to when he said he wanted to "de nazify" Ukraine. 

Despite the various “virtue signalling” you read about the Ukraine, it is far from the bastion of democracy and virtue that people would have you believe. Mind you, none of that justified Russia’s invasion of the country.

The Ukraine is shadow-governed by its oligarchs, who trace their riches back to the post-Soviet era when they plundered the country’s resources by deception, outright theft, and violence. I’ve heard that black people are not treated well over there, but given what we sometimes see in the USA, I cannot say if it’s any worse or better in UA.  Calls of “Naziism” from either side of this current conflict are disingenuous. When in doubt, always call the other side “Nazis”.  ::)

Gotta give the Ukrainians credit, they are standing up against the Russkies pretty well. But the virtue being endowed upon their country is a tad misplaced. Note that the primary co-sponsor of President Zelenskyy’s political campaign is barred from entry into the USA by our own State Department, for money laundering and bank fraud. Nevertheless he returned to Ukraine for exile, after Selenskyy entered office.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/22 at 4:05 pm

I hope you realize that there are many Americans who agree with you. I was angry when Bush decided to give us a war that we did not need nor want. I had hoped that Bush & company would have been held accountable for that but unfortunately, they weren't and won't be.

I also know that there are many Americans throughout the world who have that arrogance because they are American so they can be @$$holes. I have seen it first hand when I was stationed in Greece. There were people who I was stationed with thinking their sh!t didn't stink. I was on our shuttle bus going from our little remote site to Athens. Our driver was going a little bit too fast and was stopped by a cop. When the cop came on the bus, there were these @$$holes yelling obscenities from the back of the bus. We were trying to get them to shut their mouths but they just thought it was funny because they assumed that the cops didn't speak English. It was a good thing for all of our sakes that they didn't. They didn't realize that we were GUESTS in that country and we should treat them with respect! But, many Americans do not know the word RESPECT and how to use it!

Sorry. Rant over.

Cat

Written By: Elor on 02/28/22 at 1:49 pm

I hope you realize that there are many Americans who agree with you.

Don't worry, I do. ;)

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/04/22 at 9:35 am

Don't worry, I do. ;)

I just don't think now is the time or place to be having this discussion. The situation has gotten even worse over this past week. The Russians are ruthless and destroying any targets at random including residential apartments, schools, children's hospitals, etc. and last night they were trying to create a Chernobyl x10 with the largest NPP in Europe. What's really upsetting is now the US and NATO don't want to get involved.

I was really looking forward to The Batman finally being released. I actually keep forgetting that it's opening this weekend. I don't know when I'll go see it and if I'll be in the mood for it. I wish it would have released back in summer of 2021 when it was supposed to.

Written By: Emman on 03/04/22 at 6:47 pm

What's really upsetting is now the US and NATO don't want to get involved.

That's the smart thing to do, I wouldn't risk a nuclear war over Ukraine as Putin has warned, if Putin would've invaded some random African country nobody would care or risk serious war with a nuclear power.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/05/22 at 8:35 am

Meanwhile gas/oil prices have had their biggest spike since right after Katrina in 2005, and could top the record high back in 2008.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/22 at 3:41 pm

What's really upsetting is now the US and NATO don't want to get involved.

Bottom line, for all the blabbering that we’ve heard for the past 8 years,  The Ukraine is of no strategic value to the US or NATO. So it is not a situation where NATO or the US could justify entering with lethal force.

And a “no fly zone” ultimately would have to deal with Soviet S-400 and possibly S-500 air defense systems. This is not a cake walk like Libya or Iraq.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/05/22 at 4:33 pm

Bottom line, for all the blabbering that we’ve heard for the past 8 years,  The Ukraine is of no strategic value to the US or NATO. So it is not a situation where NATO or the US could justify entering with lethal force.

And a “no fly zone” ultimately would have to deal with Soviet S-400 and possibly S-500 air defense systems. This is not a cake walk like Libya or Iraq.

On the other hand, Russians are targeting Ukrainian civilians. Ukraine may not have strategic value (except it kinda does considering it’s right on the border with Russia’s economic and political center), but by not intervening we’re turning a blind eye to war crimes by the dozens.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/05/22 at 5:16 pm

On the other hand, Russians are targeting Ukrainian civilians. Ukraine may not have strategic value (except it kinda does considering it’s right on the border with Russia’s economic and political center), but by not intervening we’re turning a blind eye to war crimes by the dozens.

We've gotten involved for less before, and with less to gain from it. What we're seeing (and not doing anything about) is a total disregard for humanity. America used to be the world's police, and not even trying to make a reference to the animation movie.

Written By: Emman on 03/05/22 at 8:16 pm

We've gotten involved for less before, and with less to gain from it. What we're seeing (and not doing anything about) is a total disregard for humanity. America used to be the world's police, and not even trying to make a reference to the animation movie.

US world policing means invading countries, indiscriminately murdering civilians, sanctioning poor brown people into starvation, instigating coups, arming various terrorist groups, ect,  f*** that kind of foreign policy.  America gets away with it because might makes right, the dollar is the reserve currency and it has nukes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/22 at 9:26 am

We turn a blind eye to it all the time in other areas of the world. The Ukraine is no different.

This is Europe’s problem. They can handle it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/08/22 at 12:35 pm

Spotify just had a major outage. My wife called and said her and our daughter both got logged out. I thought it was something with our family account so I switched to online and then I got booted out. I searched Google and saw some reports.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/08/22 at 2:34 pm

Spotify just had a major outage. My wife called and said her and our daughter both got logged out. I thought it was something with our family account so I switched to online and then I got booted out. I searched Google and saw some reports.

My coworkers had the same thing. I don't use Spotify though. I'm old fashioned and still use mp3s.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/22 at 3:20 pm

When did this happen?

Written By: Howard on 03/08/22 at 3:20 pm

My coworkers had the same thing. I don't use Spotify though. I'm old fashioned and still use mp3s.

I use Spotify for listening to music.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/08/22 at 3:21 pm

When did this happen?

It was just a temporary outage. It was working again when I tried later.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/22 at 4:01 pm

The pandemic is not quite over yet as cases are rising again in UK/Europe with the BA.2 subvariant. It's just in the shahow of the Russian invasion of Ukraine so it seems like old news. Also the case numbers have dropped in the US since the holidays, but the same thing happened last year right before the Delta wave.

Meanwhile in New York there was a hate crime incident in which an Asian woman was attacked and punched over 125 times after being called a racial slur.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/22 at 3:37 am

The pandemic is not quite over yet as cases are rising again in UK/Europe with the BA.2 subvariant. It's just in the shahow of the Russian invasion of Ukraine so it seems like old news. Also the case numbers have dropped in the US since the holidays, but the same thing happened last year right before the Delta wave.

Meanwhile in New York there was a hate crime incident in which an Asian woman was attacked and punched over 125 times after being called a racial slur.

I don't know what the hell is going on with these moronic people lately, they're probably off their medicine, almost every day now I've seen violence & it's never going to end and I wish people would start loving one another.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/16/22 at 11:24 am

I don't know what the hell is going on with these moronic people lately, they're probably off their medicine, almost every day now I've seen violence & it's never going to end and I wish people would start loving one another.

I love it. That's how we talked in the 60s and early 70s. 

"Come on people now
Smile on your brother (and sister)
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now..."
:-*

Written By: Elor on 03/17/22 at 2:00 pm

At least they got him. That guy even killed his own mother... 8-P

Written By: Howard on 03/17/22 at 3:06 pm

At least they got him. That guy even killed his own mother... 8-P

Just disgusting behavior!  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/22 at 5:30 pm

I love it. That's how we talked in the 60s and early 70s. 

"Come on people now
Smile on your brother (and sister)
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now..."
:-*

We also said “Burn, baby, burn.”  :-X

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/17/22 at 5:33 pm

We certainly did. And "up against the wall, motherfker". Yin and yang.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/22 at 5:42 pm

Recession is forecasted for the summer:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/prepare-for-a-recession-this-summer-a-bear-market-in-real-estate-and-a-drop-in-stock-prices-warns-strategist-david-rosenberg-11647438915

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/22 at 6:05 pm

Recession is forecasted for the summer:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/prepare-for-a-recession-this-summer-a-bear-market-in-real-estate-and-a-drop-in-stock-prices-warns-strategist-david-rosenberg-11647438915

I thought we were already in a recession. I can't even keep up anymore. Who knows what they're planning next.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/17/22 at 7:07 pm

Just FYI, journalists will always predict doom and gloom. Depression and anxiety = clicks = money for the website. So I'd take their economic predictions with a pound of salt.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/17/22 at 8:17 pm

Just FYI, journalists will always predict doom and gloom. Depression and anxiety = clicks = money for the website. So I'd take their economic predictions with a pound of salt.

Or, you could always shut off your phone and your TV and just enjoy the day.

Trying to be happy isn't a crime against humanity even though the 24-hour news channel pundits try to tell you it is.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/22 at 8:24 pm

I thought we were already in a recession. I can't even keep up anymore. Who knows what they're planning next.

We were for a bit in 2020 mainly with the jobs lost in the service industry, but we quickly recovered from that as unemployment dropped to the pre-pandemic levels.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/22 at 3:41 am

and also "What's Up My Brother."

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/18/22 at 3:09 pm

Now they are saying there might not be a recession this year.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/22 at 3:57 pm

The thing about 2020 is while some of it sucked, some of it was actually good especially in the early part of the year before the lockdown. Plus in my personal life I made so many friends during that time and I felt very happy and wasn't depressed, in the first half of the year at least. Plus you had some good music come out all through the year to lighten the mood. But in 2022 EVERYTHING sucks unfortunately.

In 2022, music isn't horrible so far. But 2020 was a lot better for music no doubt. So on the whole I think 2022 is a lot worse than 2020 so far. 2020 was the best early '20s year so far.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/19/22 at 4:12 pm

The thing about 2020 is while some of it sucked, some of it was actually good especially in the early part of the year before the lockdown. Plus in my personal life I made so many friends during that time and I felt very happy and wasn't depressed, in the first half of the year at least. Plus you had some good music come out all through the year to lighten the mood. But in 2022 EVERYTHING sucks unfortunately.

In 2022, music isn't horrible so far. But 2020 was a lot better for music no doubt. So on the whole I think 2022 is a lot worse than 2020 so far. 2020 was the best early '20s year so far.

For me the first two months of 2020, and from about August to December were pretty good.

So far in 2022, it seems like literally nothing is going right, and the invasion of my wife's home country to top it off. Yes, everything sucks. The Batman and the Bel-Air reboot are about the only redeeming things about this year so far, and a handful of decent songs. But even during the worst years for music there will be at least some good songs. My playlist is pretty short compared to last year by this time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/22 at 9:35 am

Even 2021 is looking better compared to 2022. Of course the first half was pretty good as was the later part of 2020 I mentioned, but even the later part doesn't seem so bad now looking back with Dune, Squid Game, and Coldplay's Music of the Spheres album.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/22 at 2:39 pm

Even 2021 is looking better compared to 2022. Of course the first half was pretty good as was the later part of 2020 I mentioned, but even the later part doesn't seem so bad now looking back with Dune, Squid Game, and Coldplay's Music of the Spheres album.

How do you think 2022 is looking 3 months into the year?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/22 at 3:07 pm

How do you think 2022 is looking 3 months into the year?

It's been looking looking pretty bleak for about the past month (3 days from today will be exactly one month since all this started). We didn't even get two full months of "normal". Also I can't believe we're still not 3 months into the year. I feel like it's been 2022 for like two years now.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/22 at 3:33 am

It's been looking looking pretty bleak for about the past month (3 days from today will be exactly one month since all this started). We didn't even get two full months of "normal". Also I can't believe we're still not 3 months into the year. I feel like it's been 2022 for like two years now.

Good thing, March is almost over.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/22/22 at 3:36 pm

Good thing, March is almost over.

I just can't wait until the invasion of Ukraine is over, whenever that's going to be.

Written By: Elor on 03/23/22 at 12:14 am

I just can't wait until the invasion of Ukraine is over, whenever that's going to be.
When the Russian military decides to put a few holes in Putin's body. Otherwise I don't see much of a chance for this to end soon. Even the sanctions might not stop him as he's using old equipment that has been payed off years if not decades ago.
The people won't be able to overthrow him. They get lied to on all fronts and Putin's SA thugs are everywhere to "ensure peace". They have a lot to loose if Putin is done for so they'll stay loyal even if that means betraying their own people. Just like in Belarus.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/23/22 at 9:38 am

When the Russian military decides to put a few holes in Putin's body. Otherwise I don't see much of a chance for this to end soon. Even the sanctions might not stop him as he's using old equipment that has been payed off years if not decades ago.
The people won't be able to overthrow him. They get lied to on all fronts and Putin's SA thugs are everywhere to "ensure peace". They have a lot to loose if Putin is done for so they'll stay loyal even if that means betraying their own people. Just like in Belarus.

And that will be when the Ukrainians kick their butts out, so the sooner the west gives them the hardware they need, the better.  And this troubling article makes that more urgent:

The man known as ‘Putin’s brain’ envisions the splitting of Europe — and the fall of China
Image without a caption
By David Von Drehle
Columnist
Yesterday at 4:47 p.m. EDT
Listen to article
4 min
Alexander Dugin in his TV studio in central Moscow in 2016. (AP Photo/Francesca Ebel)

On the eve of his murderous invasion, Russian President Vladimir Putin delivered a long and rambling discourse denying the existence of Ukraine and Ukrainians, a speech many Western analysts found strange and untethered. Strange, yes. Untethered, no. The analysis came directly from the works of a fascist prophet of maximal Russian empire named Aleksandr Dugin.

Dugin’s intellectual influence over the Russian leader is well known to close students of the post-Soviet period, among whom Dugin, 60, is sometimes referred to as “Putin’s brain.” His work is also familiar to Europe’s “new right,” of which Dugin has been a leading figure for nearly three decades, and to America’s “alt-right.” Indeed, the Russian-born former wife of the white nationalist leader Richard Spencer, Nina Kouprianova, has translated some of Dugin’s work into English.

But as the world watches with horror and disgust the indiscriminate bombing of Ukraine, a broader understanding is needed of Dugin’s deadly ideas. Russia has been running his playbook for the past 20 years, and it has brought us here, to the brink of another world war.

A product of late-period Soviet decline, Dugin belongs to the long, dismal line of political theorists who invent a strong and glorious past — infused with mysticism and obedient to authority — to explain a failed present. The future lies in reclaiming this past from the liberal, commercial, cosmopolitan present (often represented by the Jewish people). Such thinkers had a heyday a century ago, in the European wreckage of World War I: Julius Evola, the mad monk of Italian fascism; Charles Maurras, the reactionary French nationalist; Charles Coughlin, the American radio ranter; and even the author of a German book called “Mein Kampf.”

Dugin tells essentially the same story from a Russian point of view. Before modernity ruined everything, a spiritually motivated Russian people promised to unite Europe and Asia into one great empire, appropriately ruled by ethnic Russians. Alas, a competing sea-based empire of corrupt, money-grubbing individualists, led by the United States and Britain, thwarted Russia’s destiny and brought “Eurasia” — his term for the future Russian empire — low.

In his magnum opus, “The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia,” published in 1997, Dugin mapped out the game plan in detail. Russian agents should foment racial, religious and sectional divisions within the United States while promoting the United States’ isolationist factions. (Sound familiar?) In Great Britain, the psy-ops effort should focus on exacerbating historic rifts with Continental Europe and separatist movements in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Western Europe, meanwhile, should be drawn in Russia’s direction by the lure of natural resources: oil, gas and food. NATO would collapse from within.

Putin has followed that counsel to the letter, and he must have felt things were going well when he saw window-smashing rioters in the corridors of the U.S. Congress, Britain’s Brexit from the European Union and Germany’s growing dependence on Russian natural gas. With the undermining of the West going so well, Putin has turned to the pages of Dugin’s text in which he declared: “Ukraine as an independent state with certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia,” and “without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics.”

So what comes next, should Putin manage to “resolve” Russia’s “problem” in Ukraine? Dugin envisions a gradual dividing of Europe into zones of German and Russian influence, with Russia very much in charge thanks to its eventual stranglehold over Germany’s resource needs. As Great Britain crumbles and Russia picks up the pieces, the empire of Eurasia will ultimately stretch, in Dugin’s words, “from Dublin to Vladisvostok.”

Putin’s double-dealing encroachments into the Middle East are influenced by Dugin’s idea of a Moscow-theran axis. (Israel’s government should wake up, smell the samovar and stop playing footsie with Russia.) His seduction of the nationalist government in New Delhi is a reflection of Dugin’s insistence that the Eurasian empire must extend to the Indian Ocean.

As important as it is for Western decision-makers to take Dugin’s mystical megalomania seriously, it’s just as urgent for China’s Xi Jinping. Xi and Putin announced a partnership last month to cut the United States down to size. But according to Dugin, China, too, must fall. Russia’s ambitions in Asia will require “the territorial disintegration, splintering and the political and administrative partition of the state,” Dugin writes. Russia’s natural partner in the Far East, according to Dugin, is Japan.

In a sense, Dugin’s 600-page doorstop can be boiled down to one idea: The wrong alliance won World War II. If only Hitler had not invaded Russia, Britain could have been broken. The United States would have remained at home, isolationist and divided, and Japan would have ruled the former China as Russia’s junior partner.

Fascism from Ireland to the Pacific. Delusional? I sure hope so. But delusions become important when embraced by tyrants.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/22 at 9:30 am

In many US cities, including Atlanta where I live near, crime and violence is up like 50% compared to last year (which was already bad), and even worse in some cities. At this rate we may be heading back to rates not seen since the crack epidemic days of the late 1980's/early 1990's after two decades of declines.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/22 at 10:52 am

Anyhow I just need to vent and say that there's literally not one single thing to be happy about in 2022. NOTHING.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/22 at 11:02 am

Anyhow I just need to vent and say that there's literally not one single thing to be happy about in 2022. NOTHING.

Are you a nihilist?  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/22 at 12:14 pm

Are you a nihilist?  :o

I had to look up what that meant but based on my limited comprehension of the definition, I don't think so other than the negativity/pessimism and the feeling of pointlessness. But not the part of rejecting morals and principles as it might surprise some people that I'm a believer of Jesus, just lacking in faith and knowing that life is not meant to be easy.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/22 at 12:23 pm

I had to look up what that meant but based on my limited comprehension of the definition, I don't think so other than the negativity/pessimism and the feeling of pointlessness. But not the part of rejecting morals and principles as it might surprise some people that I'm a believer of Jesus, just lacking in faith and knowing that life is not meant to be easy.

I get it. It's just that you said there was not one thing to be happy about. I know there is war and virus and bad music out there, but there are things to be happy about. I'm pretty sure you had something to eat today. There might be a flower poking through the concrete near where you live. You probably have clean clothes. See what I mean?  :)  Being aware of small happinesses does not man one overlooks the suffering of others either. if I'm not overstepping my bounds, that was one of the main teachings of Jesus.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/22 at 12:31 pm

I get it. It's just that you said there was not one thing to be happy about. I know there is war and virus and bad music out there, but there are things to be happy about. I'm pretty sure you had something to eat today. There might be a flower poking through the concrete near where you live. You probably have clean clothes. See what I mean?  :)  Being aware of small happinesses does not man one overlooks the suffering of others either. if I'm not overstepping my bounds, that was one of the main teachings of Jesus.

I see what you mean. That reminds me of this one this one poster on here who occasionally posts about having God's gift of life. Sure things could be a lot worse, but I've had better days/years (even 2020 and 2021).

Written By: Slim95 on 04/04/22 at 12:45 pm

The music isn't horrible still

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/04/22 at 1:31 pm

Or, you could always shut off your phone and your TV and just enjoy the day.

Trying to be happy isn't a crime against humanity even though the 24-hour news channel pundits try to tell you it is.

Also true.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/04/22 at 2:00 pm

The music isn't horrible still

But not particularly great either. Mediocre at best. I mean you have The Weekend, "Closer" by Saweetie (my favorite song of the year so far as it has the disco beat), "Freaky Deaky" by Tyga/Doja Cat, "iPad" by Chainsmokers but that's about it.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/22 at 3:06 pm

In many US cities, including Atlanta where I live near, crime and violence is up like 50% compared to last year (which was already bad), and even worse in some cities. At this rate we may be heading back to rates not seen since the crack epidemic days of the late 1980's/early 1990's after two decades of declines.

I think New York is beginning to look that way.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/04/22 at 8:20 pm

In a sense, Dugin’s 600-page doorstop can be boiled down to one idea: The wrong alliance won World War II. If only Hitler had not invaded Russia, Britain could have been broken. The United States would have remained at home, isolationist and divided, and Japan would have ruled the former China as Russia’s junior partner.

Fascism from Ireland to the Pacific. Delusional? I sure hope so. But delusions become important when embraced by tyrants.

Except that an alliance with the Soviet Union couldn't have been more counter to Hitler's master plan. He ordered the invasion of Eastern Europe and Russia for two reasons: 1.) Hitler was a rabid anti-Communist and 2.) His ultimate goal was to establish something the Nazis called lebensraum, which translated into English means "living room."

Basically he wanted to ethnically cleanse Russia and all of Eastern Europe of all the Slavs, whom he considered an inferior race, and then give all that wide open space to the German people.

Had he focused all his efforts at the beginning of the war on conquering Great Britain and then turned the war effort eastward he might have succeeded, but instead he foolishly decided to fight a war on two fronts.

Interestingly enough, U.S. General George S. Patton made loud noises about wanting to form an alliance with Germany after they were defeated and attack the USSR to push them out of Eastern Europe, but he got shut up pretty quickly.  :o :o :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/05/22 at 9:14 am

Except that an alliance with the Soviet Union couldn't have been more counter to Hitler's master plan. He ordered the invasion of Eastern Europe and Russia for two reasons: 1.) Hitler was a rabid anti-Communist and 2.) His ultimate goal was to establish something the Nazis called lebensraum, which translated into English means "living room."

Basically he wanted to ethnically cleanse Russia and all of Eastern Europe of all the Slavs, whom he considered an inferior race, and then give all that wide open space to the German people.

Had he focused all his efforts at the beginning of the war on conquering Great Britain and then turned the war effort eastward he might have succeeded, but instead he foolishly decided to fight a war on two fronts.

Interestingly enough, U.S. General George S. Patton made loud noises about wanting to form an alliance with Germany after they were defeated and attack the USSR to push them out of Eastern Europe, but he got shut up pretty quickly.  :o :o :o

First, I didn't write the passage quoted, it was from an article I copied. 

Second, I agree with your analysis.  Are you suggesting that Patton was assassinated?  I've heard that, but it seems unlikely

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/05/22 at 6:42 pm

First, I didn't write the passage quoted, it was from an article I copied. 

Second, I agree with your analysis.  Are you suggesting that Patton was assassinated?  I've heard that, but it seems unlikely

I never thought you did write the passage, and I apologize if there was any confusion about that. My point was that it illustrates how erroneous the Russian attitudes toward the West are.

I've seen the Cliff's Notes version of Foundations of Geopolitics before on the Internet, and what frightens me the most about it is how much of it seemed to fall in line with a lot of what our last president was (and still is) doing. There's definitely been a lot of f*ckery going on in this country over the last 5-6 years that has Russia's scent all over it. It amazes me that there are people on the right in the US that think Putin is the good guy in all of this. Me? I've never liked that son of a bitch, even back when GeeDubya was still president.

It makes me angry and sad what the people of Ukraine are going through, but at least I can take some pleasure in watching the Foundations of Geopolitics plan go down in flames in spectacular fashion.

My own prediction about how this might very well end (unless Putin or one of his successors, who might be even more unstable than he is, decides to end civilization as we know it) is that Russia's economy will continue to weaken more and more until it's on the verge of total collapse and then China will step in and bail them out at the 11th hour, but not without...conditions...that are so stringent that Russia becomes a de facto puppet of the Chinese.

As far as Patton being assassinated, I don't know the exact details nor have I researched it much, but I also have heard conspiracies that the car accident that claimed his life was under suspicious circumstances.

Written By: Elor on 04/06/22 at 8:53 am

Hitler was a rabid anti-Communist

If you ask American right wingers they'll tell you that he was a socialist because his party had the term "socialist" in it's name... ::)

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/06/22 at 12:34 pm

Little nitpick, Hitler didn’t “choose” to fight 2 fronts at once. He was forced to do so when Italy was knocked out of the war much earlier than expected.

Written By: Elor on 04/06/22 at 1:18 pm

Little nitpick, Hitler didn’t “choose” to fight 2 fronts at once. He was forced to do so when Italy was knocked out of the war much earlier than expected.

But he was at war with the UK and couldn't defeat them during the Battle of Britain and then went east instead with the western situation unresolved. That's a two fronts war if you ask me and he opened the second one by choice. ???

Written By: gotuokere on 04/06/22 at 8:45 pm

It’s been a pretty quiet year for me so far. I like it. I’m finishing up college soon, so that’s exciting. I feel like I’m in a really good spot in life right now. Things are looking up.

As for the world, yeah. The Ukraine/Russia stuff is pretty rough. COVID is still around and the Will Smith incident is crazy. Other than that, this year isn’t bad for me personally though. It’s been really peaceful for me. I give it an 8/10 so far.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/07/22 at 9:42 am

Yea, as Elor said, Hitler invaded the USSR by choice

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/22 at 10:22 am

Yea, as Elor said, Hitler invaded the USSR by choice
... and not having read the history books (i.e. Napoleon)?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/12/22 at 9:35 am

I think New York is beginning to look that way.

I just heard about a mass shooting on a New York subway that shot at least 5 and injured over a dozen, and the shooter threw a smoke grenade. Please stay safe!

Written By: Howard on 04/12/22 at 2:45 pm

I just heard about a mass shooting on a New York subway that shot at least 5 and injured over a dozen, and the shooter threw a smoke grenade. Please stay safe!

What the hell is going on these days? This world is becoming The Wild West.  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/14/22 at 8:32 am

The NYC subway shooter has been detained. He turned himself in by calling the police from a McDonalds. Luckily no one was killed (that I know of) and this could have been a lot worse. The suspect is being charged with terrorism, and he has posted videos prior on social media about wanting to kill people.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/14/22 at 9:04 am

The NYC subway shooter has been detained. He turned himself in by calling the police from a McDonalds. Luckily no one was killed (that I know of) and this could have been a lot worse. The suspect is being charged with terrorism, and he has posted videos prior on social media about wanting to kill people.

I think he killed several people, no?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/14/22 at 10:04 am

I think he killed several people, no?

No deaths. Either he had the aim of a storm trooper or he didn't have the intention to kill, just injure and create fear as he shot most of them in the leg.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/14/nyregion/brooklyn-subway-shooting-victims.html

Written By: Howard on 04/14/22 at 2:43 pm

Why did he call the police? Couldn't someone else have done it?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/22 at 3:05 pm

Why did he call the police? Couldn't someone else have done it?

Why did he call the police? You're saying he SHOULDN'T have turned himself in? That's an odd remark. especially for someone from New York. Maybe nobody else recognized him.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/22 at 3:23 pm

Why did he call the police? You're saying he SHOULDN'T have turned himself in? That's an odd remark. especially for someone from New York. Maybe nobody else recognized him.

They couldn't recognize him, he was wearing a work outfit.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/14/22 at 7:01 pm

Meanwhile in China, Shanghai has experienced the worst lockdown restrictions of anywhere since the beginning of the pandemic. Residents can be heard screaming from their apartment balconies.

RBJj_UwkSyc

Written By: Slim95 on 04/14/22 at 9:25 pm

Meanwhile in China, Shanghai has experienced the worst lockdown restrictions of anywhere since the beginning of the pandemic. Residents can be heard screaming from their apartment balconies.

RBJj_UwkSyc

That's horrifying. There's definitely more to this story though on why everyone started screaming at the same time. It could be a protest, but there's something more about it. It's very unusual.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/15/22 at 9:11 am

While living in Chile 1972-1973 people would bang pots out of their windows every evening around 6 pm rather that yelling - saved their voices

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/18/22 at 10:57 am

While living in Chile 1972-1973 people would bang pots out of their windows every evening around 6 pm rather that yelling - saved their voices

I remember in Italy they were doing that in the beginning of the pandemic, not necessarily as a protest but it was their way of gathering as a community while distanced.

Btw, guess who just tested positive for COVID. Luckily I'm fully vaccinated + boosted so the symptoms have been minimal. Just Saturday night was the worst with a temperature and trouble sleeping (couldn't even tell if I was sleeping and dreaming or awake and having hallucinations, worse than the usual insomnia). Otherwise I've had colds worse than this.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/18/22 at 1:16 pm

I agree that 2022 has been the worst year since 2020
As least the IRS gave us until June to file taxes
It is Tax Day today and I just received a reject note and I have to start over and refile everything. Nothing has gone right get since February. >:(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/18/22 at 1:24 pm

It is Tax Day today and I just received a reject note and I have to start over and refile everything. Nothing has gone right get since February. >:(

That's not much of a span. It's like saying "today is the worst day since last Saturday."  ;D  ;D

Sorry about your taxes, though.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 04/18/22 at 1:45 pm

Will you be getting money back Indy?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/18/22 at 1:52 pm

So far 4 months into 22', it's starting to look bad again with the endless war in Ukraine, The shootings, stabbings and crime all around the world, I don't know what's going on these days but this year might be another horrible year.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/22 at 2:14 pm

I remember in Italy they were doing that in the beginning of the pandemic, not necessarily as a protest but it was their way of gathering as a community while distanced.

Btw, guess who just tested positive for COVID. Luckily I'm fully vaccinated + boosted so the symptoms have been minimal. Just Saturday night was the worst with a temperature and trouble sleeping (couldn't even tell if I was sleeping and dreaming or awake and having hallucinations, worse than the usual insomnia). Otherwise I've had colds worse than this.

Oh no. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/18/22 at 6:40 pm

Cat

Thank you. It's from my office too. Another thing I miss about 2020 and early 2021 is working from home. I wish more companies continued that as the new normal, rather than having everyone commuting in traffic and gathering together in the office again.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/18/22 at 9:08 pm

I will get a refund from Federal, but it will be a long while if I have to redo the forms by hand. I'm sending for transcripts from last year, but there is no excuse for me to put in the wrong number on my signature. I expect to owe State taxes, but the state form is being held for the IRS.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/22 at 3:36 am

I will get a refund from Federal, but it will be a long while if I have to redo the forms by hand. I'm sending for transcripts from last year, but there is no excuse for me to put in the wrong number on my signature. I expect to owe State taxes, but the state form is being held for the IRS.

Hope everything works out well.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/19/22 at 10:00 am

Cat

Me too

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/19/22 at 10:19 am

Me too

Thank you!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/22 at 1:50 pm

Thank you. It's from my office too. Another thing I miss about 2020 and early 2021 is working from home. I wish more companies continued that as the new normal, rather than having everyone commuting in traffic and gathering together in the office again.

When the lockdown began, my sister started working from home. She said that she really liked working from home. Then they laid her off. After I don't know how long, she found another job which she is still working from home. Her boss is in Florida and she is in Oklahoma. She is enjoying it and she is making a little bit more than her previous job. She can now take vacations (hopefully, to visit her younger sister  ;) ) because she can really work from anywhere.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/19/22 at 3:58 pm

When the lockdown began, my sister started working from home. She said that she really liked working from home. Then they laid her off. After I don't know how long, she found another job which she is still working from home. Her boss is in Florida and she is in Oklahoma. She is enjoying it and she is making a little bit more than her previous job. She can now take vacations (hopefully, to visit her younger sister  ;) ) because she can really work from anywhere.

Cat

My current company which I started at last summer (which is probably the main reason I didn't care for the later part of 2021) only gives 2 weeks of vacation (after your first year) and doesn't have sick days. If you miss work for COVID, they'll make you use your few PTO days you have. That explains why people show up to work with symptoms. The CEO insists on everyone gathering back in the office even though they have the capability to work from home and even now with the outbreak they have no plans to shut the office down. I think it's about time to apply for another job while the economy/job market is still good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/22 at 4:18 pm

My current company which I started at last summer (which is probably the main reason I didn't care for the later part of 2021) only gives 2 weeks of vacation (after your first year) and doesn't have sick days. If you miss work for COVID, they'll make you use your few PTO days you have. That explains why people show up to work with symptoms. The CEO insists on everyone gathering back in the office even though they have the capability to work from home and even now with the outbreak they have no plans to shut the office down. I think it's about time to apply for another job while the economy/job market is still good.

I was going to suggest looking for a new job.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/19/22 at 5:18 pm

I was going to suggest looking for a new job.

Cat

I literally contemplated putting in my 2 weeks notice on my first day.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/19/22 at 8:40 pm

Maybe I like 2022 because I was blessed with a new job this year I actually like, that did not require the vaccine. But yeah I can definitely see how the year sucks.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/19/22 at 9:00 pm

There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes a person realizes right away that a job is not a good fit and it's better to get out before one gets too entrenched. By the way, I don't think a person that works at a job one day and decides to leave has to give two weeks notice.

Written By: Elor on 04/19/22 at 9:34 pm

That would be absolutely illegal in Germany. Here employers have to pay you for up to 6 weeks when you get sick. After that the health insurance takes over and you get a  minimum of 24 days of paid vacation, most companies grant 30.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/20/22 at 10:24 am

That would be absolutely illegal in Germany. Here employers have to pay you for up to 6 weeks when you get sick. After that the health insurance takes over and you get a  minimum of 24 days of paid vacation, most companies grant 30.

Not in America, the "greatest country in the world" (lol). Here they could fire you and replace you for being out sick for too long. The illness could have been caused by work/overwork in the first place. I've heard about people becoming homeless in their mid-life because of an illness. They were let go AND combined with medical expenses, they had to foreclose on their home and camp out since then. But try telling that to one of the "bubbas", they'll tell you "if yew don't laak Am'rrka yew kin geeeet out!" and label you a socialist commie. I had a manager in my last company like that. He once fired someone 2 days before Christmas and laughed about it.

I'll have to clarify with my HR, but when I was hired I'm pretty sure I was told we get 4 sick days. That's the thing too, there's no organization or communication in the company. Not even a plan for if a COVID outbreak happens. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't sanitize the office. Anyhow, this job is one of my main sources of unhappiness the last 8 months. Now we have the genocide on top of that (btw I thought I was going to get fired back in late Feb for how I was talking to a manager).

Maybe I like 2022 because I was blessed with a new job this year I actually like, that did not require the vaccine. But yeah I can definitely see how the year sucks.

Congrats on the new job! Didn't you say you were moving provinces this year, or was that last year?

I also owed big this year.

So far 4 months into 22', it's starting to look bad again with the endless war in Ukraine, The shootings, stabbings and crime all around the world, I don't know what's going on these days but this year might be another horrible year.  :(

Hence the nickname "2020 too"

Written By: Elor on 04/20/22 at 10:54 am

Not in America, the "greatest country in the world" (lol). Here they could fire you and replace you for being out sick for too long.

In Germany you also can't get fired while you're sick.... :-X
But of course they can lay you off once you return.
Even when you're laid off the unemployment agency will pay you benefits for a time depending on how long you've worked for up to 2 years IIRC (75% of your last income). After that you can file for something like social security if you can prove that you don't own more than a certain amount of money (amount depends on your age). We call it "unemployment money 2". That again covers your health insurance and a reasonable accommodation. If you live in a fancy house you might have to move but you won't be homeless.
Becoming homeless is actually rather difficult here, yet some people still manage to get it done for some reason.
However to get the benefits you have to prove that you try to get back into a job and write job applications. The agency can also make you take classes. If you refuse the benefits can be reduced.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/22 at 1:57 pm

I had a job like that once. Just about every week, I was soooo tempted to just walk out and never return. I can't believe that I lasted in that job for about a year. I guess I was a glutton for punishment in those days. I left that job, went back to school and never looked back.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/21/22 at 9:22 am

In Germany you also can't get fired while you're sick.... :-X
But of course they can lay you off once you return.
Even when you're laid off the unemployment agency will pay you benefits for a time depending on how long you've worked for up to 2 years IIRC (75% of your last income). After that you can file for something like social security if you can prove that you don't own more than a certain amount of money (amount depends on your age). We call it "unemployment money 2". That again covers your health insurance and a reasonable accommodation. If you live in a fancy house you might have to move but you won't be homeless.
Becoming homeless is actually rather difficult here, yet some people still manage to get it done for some reason.
However to get the benefits you have to prove that you try to get back into a job and write job applications. The agency can also make you take classes. If you refuse the benefits can be reduced.

In the good old USA our safety net is so full of holes you could drive a truck through it.  There are some protections from being fired, but not many.  It sucks, but out labor movement is in decline so workers have little protection

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/28/22 at 5:04 pm

The US economy has shown a contraction during Q1 of 2022, the worst in 2 years. If this keeps up in Q2 we'll be in a recession by definition.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/04/22 at 7:06 am

Dave Chappelle was attacked on stage in LA while performing at the "Netflix is a Joke" event. He wasn't injured from being tackled, but the attacker was a little as he was roughed up by security.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/22 at 7:09 am

Dave Chappelle was attacked on stage in LA while performing at the "Netflix is a Joke" event. He wasn't injured from being tackled, but the attacker was a little as he was roughed up by security.
What happened?

Was it something he said?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/04/22 at 8:53 am

What happened?

Was it something he said?

Not necessarily that night but the motive is believed to be due to a recent stand up act when he made jokes that offended the LGBTQ community.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/04/22 at 9:40 am

It's the new normal, thanks to Will Smith, whom was actually applauded in some circles for his violent action rather than being immediately tossed out and prosecuted (with due process, of course). You will be seeing more of this kind of thing. People are becoming systemically less civilized. I'm not 100% sure of the reason.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/22 at 2:55 pm

Not necessarily that night but the motive is believed to be due to a recent stand up act when he made jokes that offended the LGBTQ community.

In this day and age, you got to watch what you say or else it's going to offend someone of a different race or religion.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/05/22 at 10:02 am

Meanwhile in Los Angeles last night protests for abortion rights turned violent and one police officer was injured.

https://abc7.com/los-angeles-downtown-la-protests-lapd/11816177/

This might be just the beginning of what we'll be seeing a lot of over the summer.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/22 at 7:25 pm

Today in Buffalo there was a mass shooting that killed 10 people and ruled a racially motivated hate crime.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/15/22 at 8:02 pm

Today in Buffalo there was a mass shooting that killed 10 people and ruled a racially motivated hate crime.

The Buffalo shooting was yesterday. I understand your confusion. Today there was a mass shooting at a Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, CA. 1 dead, four critically injured. These things are piling up one on top of the other.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/22 at 8:10 pm

The Buffalo shooting was yesterday. I understand your confusion. Today there was a mass shooting at a Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, CA. 1 dead, four critically injured. These things are piling up one on top of the other.

Ok, I thought it happened today. I first heard about it early this afternoon. I didn't hear about Laguna Woods. Yeah, it's getting crazy and barely even news anymore.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/15/22 at 9:53 pm

Is it bad that 2022 isn't sucking for me personally???  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/15/22 at 10:20 pm

NO. The whole idea is that one must transcend all these going on. And that doesn't mean one is indifferent to it either. But it is better to come from a place of, well, transcendence. (I purposely didn't use the current buzzword "empowerment", but use it if you like). Too many people (including, judging from posts, any number of people here) actually WALLOW in all the tragedy. It then becomes merely "disaster porn".

That's our philosophical lesson for tonight.  ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/15/22 at 11:09 pm

It isn't for me either. I'm very blessed to have my job working from home. Last year was full of unknowns but I am very stable this year now that I'm working full time.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/22 at 3:36 am

And just a day later, there was a shooting in a church.  ::)
This is never going to stop as much as you want it to, it will never happen cause this is the culture that we are living in right now.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/22 at 3:38 am

Ok, I thought it happened today. I first heard about it early this afternoon. I didn't hear about Laguna Woods. Yeah, it's getting crazy and barely even news anymore.

I don't know how the hell these people are getting the guns?  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 5:35 am

It isn't for me either. I'm very blessed to have my job working from home. Last year was full of unknowns but I am very stable this year now that I'm working full time.

It is for me. It's just been one thing going wrong after another and nothing seeming to go right, in my personal life. On top of everything my wife is Ukrainian, so it almost feels like a year when you have a death in the family. Of course you'll feel differently about the year than everyone else. I know you like the music of this year but I personally don't care for it with a few exceptions, or the pop culture in general except The Batman.

Now 2020 otoh was a year that I generally enjoyed and made the best of and kind of felt guilty doing so.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/16/22 at 9:02 am

I don't know how the hell these people are getting the guns?  ::)

It's easy if you have the $$$, especially if you have no criminal record, but even if you do you can always get one on the black market,  That's why we have such a gun problem.  Thank the NRA

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 9:04 am

It's easy if you have the $$$, especially if you have no criminal record, but even if you do you can always get one on the black market,  That's why we have such a gun problem.  Thank the NRA
...and it is too late to change the gun laws?

It is one of the constitutions, the right to bear arms?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 9:09 am

We'd never be able to implement gun control laws in the US. I'm on the side of the argument that such laws will only restrict against law abiding citizens to protect themselves from the criminals.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/16/22 at 9:17 am

It is for me. It's just been one thing going wrong after another and nothing seeming to go right, in my personal life. On top of everything my wife is Ukrainian, so it almost feels like a year when you have a death in the family. Of course you'll feel differently about the year than everyone else. I know you like the music of this year but I personally don't care for it with a few exceptions, or the pop culture in general except The Batman.

Now 2020 otoh was a year that I generally enjoyed and made the best of and kind of felt guilty doing so.

See my previous response above. Yours is no disgrace for having a (for example) prosperous and successful year in 2020, financially, emotionally or otherwise. Coming from a position of empowerment, a position of transcending the garbage around is a good position to be in. It does not mean you are indifferent to suffering or tragedy around you, but you are in a better position to help, or to at least understand the situation, rather than the times when you are an emotional wreck.

And if you are now having a tough time it is all the more reason to strive to rise above.

People need to stop wallowing, literally wallowing in tragedy and disaster porn.

Written By: Contigo on 05/16/22 at 9:54 am

I'm still alive, wife of 40 years is still alive, I still have  a roof over my head, food on the table every day, still in love, still have the same friends as of many years now, been retired for a couple of years, still can watch whatever TV show I want and listen to whatever music I chose to listen to, my country isnt at war with anyone, I still have a car that gets me around, I can go for walks and walk by houses with beautiful gardens of flowers.
Life's not so bad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/22 at 1:37 pm

Yes, the Second Amendment to the Constitution states: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

However, people tend to forget about the "A well regulated Militia" part and only concentrate on the "shall not be infringed" part. They forget that no right is absolute. The First Amendment gives us free speech but we can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theatre (unless there really is a fire). 

We'd never be able to implement gun control laws in the US. I'm on the side of the argument that such laws will only restrict against law abiding citizens to protect themselves from the criminals.

There was a ban on assault weapons from 1994-2004. While it didn't stop ALL mass shootings, it did cut them down. But thanks to the NRA who bought many lawmakers, the ban wasn't reinstated. Congress could do SOOOO much to curb much of the gun violence in this country but they chose not to. They chose to be beholden to the NRA who could care less that First Graders are gunned down. I predict once the NRA's bite loses its teeth, things will FINALLY happen in terms of gun control. That time is coming. The NRA isn't as strong as it was 10 years ago.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/22 at 1:45 pm

I'm still alive, wife of 40 years is still alive, I still have  a roof over my head, food on the table every day, still in love, still have the same friends as of many years now, been retired for a couple of years, still can watch whatever TV show I want and listen to whatever music I chose to listen to, my country isnt at war with anyone, I still have a car that gets me around, I can go for walks and walk by houses with beautiful gardens of flowers.
Life's not so bad.

I hear ya. Carlos & I are healthy (for the most part-even though we have normal aches & pains), we have a beautiful house (that's paid for), bills are paid and still have something in the bank for trips, and such. We have Carlos' wonderful kids and 8 grandkids-all healthy. We have my wonderful SIL along with my sibs, nieces/nephews.

Life is good. But, I know Life is fragile and that can change in an instance. 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 1:51 pm

Yes, the Second Amendment to the Constitution states: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

However, people tend to forget about the "A well regulated Militia" part and only concentrate on the "shall not be infringed" part. They forget that no right is absolute. The First Amendment gives us free speech but we can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theatre (unless there really is a fire). 

Cat
Over the years on reflecting on this form over the pond, I understood it that the arms are to protect your owned land and property, is that so?

And when a 'gun' is owned does it have to be stored under lock and key, with the ammunition stored separately, again under lock and key, like it is over here?

Written By: Howard on 05/16/22 at 2:52 pm

I know these situations will never go away, Eric Adams or Kathy Hochul can make speeches as many times as they want but it will never go away, this will keep happening.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/22 at 2:57 pm

I hear ya. Carlos & I are healthy (for the most part-even though we have normal aches & pains), we have a beautiful house (that's paid for), bills are paid and still have something in the bank for trips, and such. We have Carlos' wonderful kids and 8 grandkids-all healthy. We have my wonderful SIL along with my sibs, nieces/nephews.

Life is good. But, I know Life is fragile and that can change in an instance. 

Cat

I'm pretty healthy, can't complain, My parents are still alive, got a roof over my head, got a decent job to keep me active and have nice friends to hang out with. :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 3:14 pm

Life's not so bad.

I think being retired for a few years can help to be happier and appreciate the simpler things in life. I'm at the age when I'm easily irritated and hard to please, plus it's always been my personality. Lately I've just been feeling overwhelmed and burnt out with so much going on at once.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/22 at 4:08 pm

Over the years on reflecting on this form over the pond, I understood it that the arms are to protect your owned land and property, is that so?

And when a 'gun' is owned does it have to be stored under lock and key, with the ammunition stored separately, again under lock and key, like it is over here?

Every state has different laws about how to store arms/ammo. I don't own a gun so I don't know off hand. It is basically the "wild west" this side of the pond because more and more people feel they "need" to get a gun to protect themselves against people who have guns. The situation seems to perpetuate itself.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/16/22 at 9:20 pm

Every state has different laws about how to store arms/ammo. I don't own a gun so I don't know off hand. It is basically the "wild west" this side of the pond because more and more people feel they "need" to get a gun to protect themselves against people who have guns. The situation seems to perpetuate itself.

Cat

I think it's more like a pervasive feeling that things are progressively deteriorating in this country and we're headed for some kind of widespread societal collapse, and many people feel that arming themselves may increase their chances of survival if that happens.

Admittedly, it is a little hard to be optimistic about the future right now.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/17/22 at 3:22 am

I think being retired for a few years can help to be happier and appreciate the simpler things in life. I'm at the age when I'm easily irritated and hard to please, plus it's always been my personality. Lately I've just been feeling overwhelmed and burnt out with so much going on at once.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/24/22 at 6:15 pm

On the note about guns, the news of today is the shooting at Robb Elementary school in Uvalde, TX that killed 15 (one of them a teacher and the rest are students/children).

Written By: Howard on 05/25/22 at 3:29 am

On the note about guns, the news of today is the shooting at Robb Elementary school in Uvalde, TX that killed 15 (one of them a teacher and the rest are students/children).

I don't think it will never stop, this has become an every day thing now, We're living in this Wild West culture.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/25/22 at 5:38 am

I don't think it will never stop, this has become an every day thing now, We're living in this Wild West culture.

It's the usual cycle of "thoughts and prayers " > gun control debate > nothing changes > next mass shooting incident/repeat cycle

Btw the death toll is now 19 (18 of them children)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/22 at 6:00 am

It's the usual cycle of "thoughts and prayers " > gun control debate > nothing changes > next mass shooting incident/repeat cycle

Is it too late bring in stricter gun laws now?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/25/22 at 6:12 am

Never too late to tighten the restrictions a bit. Not saying banning guns completely, there's a difference many people don't see (the ones who will say "they'rr takin away 'rr freedoms", lol. They are usually the same people who believed wearing masks during the pandemic was submitting their freedoms, but I digress). Anyhow nothing wrong with more thorough background checks and not selling to people with mental illnesses. Also my wife asked an interesting question yesterday: why in the US you have to be 21 to drink alcohol but only 18 to buy a gun?

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/25/22 at 8:52 am

Never too late to tighten the restrictions a bit. Not saying banning guns completely, there's a difference many people don't see (the ones who will say "they'rr takin away 'rr freedoms", lol. They are usually the same people who believed wearing masks during the pandemic was submitting their freedoms, but I digress). Anyhow nothing wrong with more thorough background checks and not selling to people with mental illnesses. Also my wife asked an interesting question yesterday: why in the US you have to be 21 to drink alcohol but only 18 to buy a gun?

Good question!  You also need a license to drive, even to get married, but guns?  You got the doe ray me, the ammo is free.  At one time (I don't remember the dates, but not that long ago) there was a ban on assault weapons, and guess what - mass shootings went down.  The ban expired (congress didn't renew it) and guess what - mass shootings went up.  Background checks are fine and necessary but no where near enough

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/25/22 at 9:29 am

Good question!  You also need a license to drive, even to get married, but guns?  You got the doe ray me, the ammo is free.  At one time (I don't remember the dates, but not that long ago) there was a ban on assault weapons, and guess what - mass shootings went down.  The ban expired (congress didn't renew it) and guess what - mass shootings went up.  Background checks are fine and necessary but no where near enough

I remember Pres Biden mentioning it in his speech last night. He was pretty heated. Gun control will be a hot topic over the next few weeks or so. I also wouldn't be surprised if considerations for virtual schooling or homeschooling are on the table, at least for the following school as this school year is pretty much done for the summer.

Written By: Contigo on 05/25/22 at 10:11 am

This. Yeh.

Unfortunately, that isnt going change :( 

Written By: Howard on 05/25/22 at 3:27 pm

I guarantee someone or many people right now in this world are thinking where they're going to strike next for another mass shooting.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/22 at 3:29 pm

They must do something, these situations are way out of control.

Written By: meesa on 05/25/22 at 5:44 pm

England is a cup of tea.
France, a wheel of ripened brie.
Greece, a short, squat olive tree.
America is a gun.

Brazil is football on the sand.
Argentina, Maradona’s hand.
Germany, an oompah band.
America is a gun.

Holland is a wooden shoe.
Hungary, a goulash stew.
Australia, a kangaroo.
America is a gun.

Japan is a thermal spring.
Scotland is a highland fling.
Oh, better to be anything
than America as a gun.

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 05/25/22 at 6:35 pm

The perpetrator of the elementary school massacre was only a couple months younger than me. Holy fudge.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/25/22 at 7:33 pm

Been watching the coverage of the aftermath in Uvalde on CNN. There will be a prayer vigil later on in the town, and also in San Antonio. It was tough watching Anderson Cooper interviewing a father of one of the victims, a 10 year old girl. I feel for all the parents who have to deal with this. Meanwhile the world is watching, and even Ukrainian Pres. Zelensky who has been dealing with hundreds of children being killed by Russians offers his condolences.

Anderson Cooper also decided to not disclose the shooter's name or show his face, as he does not deserve to have any fame. One thing that is known about the suspect is an exchange of DM's with a teenage girl in Germany, in which he stated exactly his intensions.

Meanwhile things got heated in the Texas State Capitol, as Pete O'Rourke interrupted the Lt. Gov and was escorted out by security, and outside the auditorium he spoke his mind to the media reporters.

ixVjVxBsZEA

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/26/22 at 9:41 am

I hate it when reporters ask relatives of victims "How do you feel?"

How do you think they feel, moron? 

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/26/22 at 9:00 pm

I hate it when reporters ask relatives of victims "How do you feel?"

How do you think they feel, moron?

Yeah, who does that? The husband of one the teachers who was killed was so heartbroken (literally) that he died from a heart attack just two days later. At least he is reunited with her.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/26/us/irma-garcia-robb-elementary-teacher-shooting-victim-husband-death/index.html

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/27/22 at 8:40 am

Yeah, who does that? The husband of one the teachers who was killed was so heartbroken (literally) that he died from a heart attack just two days later. At least he is reunited with her.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/26/us/irma-garcia-robb-elementary-teacher-shooting-victim-husband-death/index.html

I heard it was at her funeral, and they had 3 or 4 kids - I can't remember which.  So sad.  It really makes me very angry

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/27/22 at 9:00 am

See my previous response above. Yours is no disgrace for having a (for example) prosperous and successful year in 2020, financially, emotionally or otherwise. Coming from a position of empowerment, a position of transcending the garbage around is a good position to be in. It does not mean you are indifferent to suffering or tragedy around you, but you are in a better position to help, or to at least understand the situation, rather than the times when you are an emotional wreck.

And if you are now having a tough time it is all the more reason to strive to rise above.

People need to stop wallowing, literally wallowing in tragedy and disaster porn.

What concerns and upsets me, at least regarding the war in Ukraine is people are a little too indifferent from it, including some of our world leaders. Many people have the "it's not happening in my country so it's not my problem" sort of mentality. I don't think anyone is enjoying or whatever it means to "wallow in disaster porn". The recent Uvalde, TX incident is hitting people pretty hard, not only because of the sadness and empathy for the parents who lost their children, but also the sense of lack of safety with the more increased frequency of mass shooting incidents (this happened only 10 days after Buffalo).

Also not sure how we're supposed to transcend what's going on, at least in my personal life as I mentioned countless times that since my wife is Ukrainian so that invasion effects me personally. There's also very little positive to turn to as the music is not that great and actually nothing new really on streaming to watch. At least a few movies to look forward to like Top Gun that I'm going to see tonight and Jurassic World Dominion a few weeks later. I'm also going on weekend getaway to the mountains and do some hiking, so hopefully that will help. Other than that no big travel plans, I just don't have the time, money, or energy even if I wanted to. On that note looks like a lot of people are canceling their "revenge travel" plans for the summer, due to high gas prices and airfare. Anyhow I'll just be active locally and find every respite I can.

Also it's not helpful to tell someone who's going through things that it could be worse or other people have it worse. I know you might not intend it that way but I get the "quit complaining" vibe. Also the other thing is how we've become a groupthink society where it seems like everyone had to agree that 2020 was bad and 2022 is great, and you're not allowed to have your own opinion, at least on social media.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/22 at 9:09 am

Ditto.

Here in Picksburgh, the local news talking heads are all in a competition to demonstrate that they are more saddened than anybody about the shootings in Texas.  Definitely "tragedy porn".

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/22 at 7:45 pm

This year is a weird year because so many good things happened in my personal life but so many bad things happened in the world. So it's not 2020 weird, where my personal life was split in very good and horrible and the events of the world were kind of split given the first two months of 2020 were still fine. But it's weird in the sense that so many bad things are happening in the world at the same time as so many good things happening in my personal life like a new job that I enjoy for example.  I'm hoping things remain positive in my personal life. I'm also hoping things improve in the world but I won't count on it so I'll try to stay positive as much as I can. And hey, at the least the music is still very good.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/27/22 at 8:38 pm

This year is a weird year because so many good things happened in my personal life but so many bad things happened in the world. So it's 2020 weird, where my personal life was split in very good and horrible and the events of the world were kind of split given the first two months of 2020 were still fine. But it's weird in the sense that so many bad things are happening in the world at the same time as so many good things happening in my personal life like a new job that I enjoy for example.  I'm hoping things remain positive in my personal life. I'm also hoping things improve in the world but I won't count on it so I'll try to stay positive as much as I can. And hey, at the least the music is still very good.

If I've said it here once, I've said it a hundred times, there is no need for one to feel weird, guilty or otherwise put off because one is having success in one's personal life while bad things are happening in the world. Being successful does not have to make one less empathetic to the unfortunate plight of others. Indeed, it puts one on a much better position to be a positive force for those less fortunate. It's what being spiritual is all about.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/27/22 at 8:52 pm

This year is a weird year because so many good things happened in my personal life but so many bad things happened in the world. So it's not 2020 weird, where my personal life was split in very good and horrible and the events of the world were kind of split given the first two months of 2020 were still fine. But it's weird in the sense that so many bad things are happening in the world at the same time as so many good things happening in my personal life like a new job that I enjoy for example.  I'm hoping things remain positive in my personal life. I'm also hoping things improve in the world but I won't count on it so I'll try to stay positive as much as I can. And hey, at the least the music is still very good.

For me it's the "trio of terror": world events, pop culture, and my personal life all going poorly for me this year. As I've said before I'm not really a fan of the music other than Kendrick Lamar, Chainsmokers, The Weekend, and some of Harry Styles songs. The movies are actually one thing it has going for it like The Batman and now the new Top Gun. I'm also looking forward to Jurassic World Dominion and Bullet Train. Paws of Fury looks pretty funny as well. As for my personal life, just way too much going on and too much to mention on here. My work situation however has slightly improved since I first started that job last year.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/27/22 at 9:02 pm

This year is a weird year because so many good things happened in my personal life but so many bad things happened in the world. So it's 2020 weird, where my personal life was split in very good and horrible and the events of the world were kind of split given the first two months of 2020 were still fine. But it's weird in the sense that so many bad things are happening in the world at the same time as so many good things happening in my personal life like a new job that I enjoy for example.  I'm hoping things remain positive in my personal life. I'm also hoping things improve in the world but I won't count on it so I'll try to stay positive as much as I can. And hey, at the least the music is still very good.

That's where I'm at too. After suffering through 7 years of sh!tty positions at my job (where I had to work from 3:30 pm to midnight and quite often until 2 in the morning), I've finally gotten a position where I start at 9 am and work 10 hours a day, but all I do is drive around town and pick up and deliver freight.

And I've gotten to the point where I love it. I get paid to drive around and listen to music while occasionally having to lift heavy stuff. Most of the time I just roll pallets in and out of my trailer with a pallet jack. It's gravy. It's the one job that I've aspired to in my 30 years in the trucking industry.

The best thing is that it's been a tremendous boon to my mental health. I'm getting my social skills back. I'm more self-confident and friendly and gregarious than I've been in my whole life. Most of the time I go to the same places and I've gotten friendly with the shippers and receivers to the point where I can BS and joke around with them. Even as recently as a year ago I never dreamed I'd be this happy at my job. I'm an old-timer now, and I like it.

Yet when I turn on my TV or look at social media all I see are news clips and posts about war, and school shootings, and disease, and political unrest, and you know what? I don't give a f*ck anymore. It's all garbage to me. I'm done with my phone and my TV telling me that I'm supposed to be afraid, or angry, or anxious, or depressed. I'm done with being manipulated and controlled. I'm done with assholes whom I'll never meet trying to tell me who I'm supposed to be or how I'm supposed to feel. I'm free of all of that now, and it feels f*cking awesome.

Maybe the world is going crazy, but I don't see it in my day-to-day interactions with people. It seems like most people I talk to are just happy that it's finally getting nice outside, and because we can finally gather freely without having to wear a stupid mask or sit 6 feet away from each other.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about all this. Maybe some random nutjob might gun me down, or Putin might finally lose his mind and turn the Earth into a flaming radioactive wasteland, or HIV might mutate into an airborne strain that will kill most of us off. But I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Call me callous, or apathetic, or indifferent, call me what you will but I really don't care anymore. I'm done being afraid. I'm just going to enjoy my life and appreciate each day I have.

Being happy isn't a crime.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/27/22 at 9:28 pm

That's where I'm at too. After suffering through 7 years of sh!tty positions at my job (where I had to work from 3:30 pm to midnight and quite often until 2 in the morning), I've finally gotten a position where I start at 9 am and work 10 hours a day, but all I do is drive around town and pick up and deliver freight.

And I've gotten to the point where I love it. I get paid to drive around and listen to music while occasionally having to lift heavy stuff. Most of the time I just roll pallets in and out of my trailer with a pallet jack. It's gravy. It's the one job that I've aspired to in my 30 years in the trucking industry.

The best thing is that it's been a tremendous boon to my mental health. I'm getting my social skills back. I'm more self-confident and friendly and gregarious than I've been in my whole life. Most of the time I go to the same places and I've gotten friendly with the shippers and receivers to the point where I can BS and joke around with them. Even as recently as a year ago I never dreamed I'd be this happy at my job. I'm an old-timer now, and I like it.

Yet when I turn on my TV or look at social media all I see are news clips and posts about war, and school shootings, and disease, and political unrest, and you know what? I don't give a f*ck anymore. It's all garbage to me. I'm done with my phone and my TV telling me that I'm supposed to be afraid, or angry, or anxious, or depressed. I'm done with being manipulated and controlled. I'm done with assholes whom I'll never meet trying to tell me who I'm supposed to be or how I'm supposed to feel. I'm free of all of that now, and it feels f*cking awesome.

Maybe the world is going crazy, but I don't see it in my day-to-day interactions with people. It seems like most people I talk to are just happy that it's finally getting nice outside, and because we can finally gather freely without having to wear a stupid mask or sit 6 feet away from each other.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about all this. Maybe some random nutjob might gun me down, or Putin might finally lose his mind and turn the Earth into a flaming radioactive wasteland, or HIV might mutate into an airborne strain that will kill most of us off. But I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Call me callous, or apathetic, or indifferent, call me what you will but I really don't care anymore. I'm done being afraid. I'm just going to enjoy my life and appreciate each day I have.

I see where you're coming from, and it sounds to me like you are reacting more to the way all this stuff is being reported (and, of course to social media) rather than to the events themselves. It sound like you know it too. This is quite common. I doubt you are a callous person who is utterly indifferent to the suffering of humanity, but, as I have said elsewhere here, the way all this is presented in the media it becomes wallowing, it becomes merely "disaster porn", a phrase I believe I first heard from Bill Maher. And in this day and age, victims are the new celebrities.

And then you've got your virtue-signalers, often affluent white people, who feel they have passed the "purity test" and are experts on all the wrongs done to every marginalized group in existence. These are the ones you find "being more offended than the victim".

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/27/22 at 10:32 pm

If you're happy this year then good on you. If you don't have any family or friends in Ukraine then it might as well be Syria or Afghanistan that's getting invaded by Russia. My source of depression, stress, and unhappiness is not because the media/social media is telling me to be that way. It's actually quite the opposite. The media gives the impression like the pandemic is over and everybody can take their masks off, and it's back to 2019. I also don't see social media posts and memes everywhere about how 2022 is bad like we did in 2020. Then again I'm not on FB anymore so I wouldn't know, but I believe those posts were on IG as well.

I forgot to mention this earlier but as an Airbnb/VRBO owner, business has not been good this year. Due to the gas prices and inflation, travel and bookings have been lower this year, even lower than 2020 as we got bookings soon as the restrictions lifted. And when we do get guests, they either trash the place or leave nasty reviews. I've contemplated just selling the property and cashing out. Also maybe I'm living in the wrong place, but whenever I go out people seem rude and unhappy now. As expected there are aftermaths from the pandemic, including mental heath tolls such as my own. My work situation has gotten a little better but that's because I've gotten used to it and learned some tricks and hacks to make my job easier. Also I get to work from home again 2 days a week.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/22 at 6:54 am

My year so far has been pretty good, I have almost a year to King Kullen, I got money in my bank, I have a few friends who I hang out with occasionally and my health has been good.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/22 at 8:07 am

2020 is a great time to be a trucker. The drivers at my company are making BANGING money and so is the owner. We take the loads we want.  8)

Shippers who are knuckleheads simply don’t get a truck - we can pick and choose who we will do business with and we tell them what the price is gonna be. I had a customer (decent guy) who asked me about the mythical “driver shortage”. I told him, correctly, that there is no shortage, and that if he wants his freight to move then he needs to pay the market rate. If he’s looking for a cheap rate… well good luck with that. ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/29/22 at 7:41 am

The new Top Gun movie helped the year drop a lot of suck points.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/03/22 at 1:48 am

The music charts have been crap. All the good stuff is staying underground because the general public is lame

Written By: Howard on 06/03/22 at 3:24 am

There was another shooting down in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/03/22 at 9:56 am

There was another shooting down in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

And another one at a church parking lot in Iowa. The Tulsa one was at a hospital. This isn't even news anymore.

The music charts have been crap. All the good stuff is staying underground because the general public is lame

True. Other than Harry's House (the FutureSex/LoveSounds of 2022), Chainsmokers, Kendrick Lamar, and the Weekend the music this year leaves a lot to be desired. At least the movies are better, like the new Top Gun.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/03/22 at 10:11 am

I was thinking of starting a separate thread about the Ulvade, TX incident but I thought it would be better to redirect to this one:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=46581.360

Written By: Howard on 06/03/22 at 2:41 pm

And another one at a church parking lot in Iowa. The Tulsa one was at a hospital. This isn't even news anymore.

True. Other than Harry's House (the FutureSex/LoveSounds of 2022), Chainsmokers, Kendrick Lamar, and the Weekend the music this year leaves a lot to be desired. At least the movies are better, like the new Top Gun.

Bat, this has become an every day thing and I don't think Gov.Hochul or Eric Adams can do anything about it.  ::)

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/03/22 at 4:50 pm

At least we’ve gotten Turning Red & The Bad Guys, the future looks bright for 3D animation. That’s one good thing

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/06/22 at 7:22 am

Bat, this has become an every day thing and I don't think Gov.Hochul or Eric Adams can do anything about it.  ::)

Or anyone in the White House or Capitol Hill for that matter. Now there have been 10 mass shootings in just the last two days. It's apparent that it's getting crazy out there, and it will probably get worse if the economy goes into a recession.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/politics/senate-gun-control-negotiations/index.html

Written By: Howard on 06/06/22 at 2:52 pm

Or anyone in the White House or Capitol Hill for that matter. Now there have been 10 mass shootings in just the last two days. It's apparent that it's getting crazy out there, and it will probably get worse if the economy goes into a recession.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/politics/senate-gun-control-negotiations/index.html

We've got another 6 months until the end of the year you think they'll be another mass shooting? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/06/22 at 3:02 pm

We've got another 6 months until the end of the year you think they'll be another mass shooting? ???

I'm sure there will be at least one more, by definition. We're almost at 250 now. Surprisingly it's the same number as last year to date, although last year was pretty violent as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/us/mass-shootings-weekend-list/index.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/22 at 3:12 pm

Of course there will be. It will happen in the next day that ends in "Y."

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/06/22 at 3:20 pm

I'm sure there will be at least one more, by definition. We're almost at 250 now. Surprisingly it's the same number as last year to date, although last year was pretty violent as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/us/mass-shootings-weekend-list/index.html

I don't know what the hell is going on these days.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/06/22 at 3:21 pm

Of course there will be. It will happen in the next day that ends in "Y."

Cat

I think people just play Russian Roulette on a globe and pick where they want to do a mass shooting.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/12/22 at 10:08 am

It's looking like the gas prices and inflation is putting a damper on a lot of people's summer travel plans, even though COVID is not really a factor anymore and they've relaxed the testing requirements. I didn't really have any big travel plans since I started my new job last year so I don't get many vacation days (which is also why I had to cancel my travel plans for Fall 2021). We're just going to the beach in Florida, and we went to the Smoky Mountains over Memorial Day weekend. Other than that we've just been active locally taking my in-laws visiting from Ukraine.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/14/22 at 10:56 am

The economy is showing signs of trouble with the stocks in a bear market, Bitcoin crash, and rising interest rates. It wouldn't surprise me if Great Recession 2.0 happened in the near future. All the ingredients are similar as the Late 2000's. Meanwhile it wouldn't be advisable to change jobs at this time (if you're lucky to have one).

Meanwhile in weather, much of the US is experience a dangerous heat wave and might be only the beginning of a long, hot summer. Yellowstone NP is closed off to visitors due to flooding and damaged roads. We are really starting to see some devastating effects of climate change.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/22 at 2:06 pm

The economy is showing signs of trouble with the stocks in a bear market, Bitcoin crash, and rising interest rates. It wouldn't surprise me if Great Recession 2.0 happened in the near future. All the ingredients are similar as the Late 2000's. Meanwhile it wouldn't be advisable to change jobs at this time (if you're lucky to have one).

Meanwhile in weather, much of the US is experience a dangerous heat wave and might be only the beginning of a long, hot summer.
Yellowstone NP is closed off to visitors due to flooding and damaged roads. We are really starting to see some devastating effects of climate change.

Only a week a way until Summer and I think New York will have a very hot 3 months.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/22 at 6:50 am

Only a week a way until Summer and I think New York will have a very hot 3 months.  :o
We're having a heat wave
A tropical heat wave
The temperature is rising
It isn't surprising

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/15/22 at 9:12 am

Meanwhile in weather, much of the US is experience a dangerous heat wave and might be only the beginning of a long, hot summer. Yellowstone NP is closed off to visitors due to flooding and damaged roads. We are really starting to see some devastating effects of climate change.

Time to buy some stock if you can

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/15/22 at 9:58 am

98 today in Georgia. Don't remember seeing temps like that for awhile, especially this early in the summer. Last few summers we barely got above 90, sometimes not even 85. Still with the humidity it felt pretty hot.

Time to buy some stock if you can

I'm thinking about it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/22 at 1:43 pm

We're having a heat wave
A tropical heat wave
The temperature is rising
It isn't surprising

I'm having a hot flash
A tropical hot flash
My personal summer is really a bummer
I'm having a hot flash.
Comes on like a car crash
No warning just hot flash
Outside it is nippy, but I'm hot and drippy
I'm having a hot flash

From Menopause: The Musical.

When we went to see that, the woman who sang it came out into the audience. I could see her scanning and fixed her sights on my husband. Yup, she came over and sat on Don Carlos' lap. lol. He seemed to enjoy it. After the show, I said to her that I should probably berate her for messing with my husband. She said that he was very sweet.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/22 at 2:32 pm

I'm having a hot flash
A tropical hot flash
I'm having a hot flash.
I'm having a hot flash

When we went to see that, the woman who sang it came out into the audience. I could see her scanning and fixed her sights on my husband. Yup, she came over and sat on Don Carlos' lap. lol. He seemed to enjoy it. After the show, I said to her that I should probably berate her for messing with my husband. She said that he was very sweet.

Cat

On this I could smile
And be oh so polite
It must gave you both
The giggles for the night

Written By: Howard on 06/15/22 at 2:56 pm

98 today in Georgia. Don't remember seeing temps like that for awhile, especially this early in the summer. Last few summers we barely got above 90, sometimes not even 85. Still with the humidity it felt pretty hot.

I'm thinking about it.

I think just last week New York experienced 92 degrees but temperatures dropped with a chance of thunderstorms afterwards.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/15/22 at 3:07 pm

I think just last week New York experienced 92 degrees but temperatures dropped with a chance of thunderstorms afterwards.

Thunderstorms are always welcome. So much better than just being hot all the time and everything drying out in the yard.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/22 at 3:26 pm

Thunderstorms are always welcome. So much better than just being hot all the time and everything drying out in the yard.

Some Summers are that way sometimes, we get a week of 90's then we get the thunderstorms with a cold front passing through, maybe even some hail or even a small tornado.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/16/22 at 9:19 am

Some Summers are that way sometimes, we get a week of 90's then we get the thunderstorms with a cold front passing through, maybe even some hail or even a small tornado.

We were supposed to get some rain yesterday but our area was caught between two storm systems that stalled and reversed course. It was weird. So having rain nearby but not getting any of it made the air feel hotter and more humid, like a sauna.

I've always hated this time of year and October can't get here fast enough, and of course this year it's even more miserable than usual.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/16/22 at 9:39 am

I'm having a hot flash
A tropical hot flash
I'm having a hot flash.
I'm having a hot flash

Cat

After the show we went out to eat.  Entering the restaurant  we passed a woman who asked me if it embarrassed me,  "No, not at all, it was kind fun, especially when she caressed my bald spot

Written By: Howard on 06/16/22 at 2:59 pm

We were supposed to get some rain yesterday but our area was caught between two storm systems that stalled and reversed course. It was weird. So having rain nearby but not getting any of it made the air feel hotter and more humid, like a sauna.

I've always hated this time of year and October can't get here fast enough, and of course this year it's even more miserable than usual.

Bat, Where exactly do you live that's so hot?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/16/22 at 9:05 pm

Bat, Where exactly do you live that's so hot?

Georgia

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/17/22 at 9:37 am

Georgia

Peachy

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/17/22 at 9:47 am

Peachy

It's where Justin Bieber got his peaches.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/22 at 9:58 am

Georgia
Home of the US Masters?

Written By: Howard on 06/17/22 at 3:17 pm

Georgia

Holy Moley, temperatures will be near 100 degrees!  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/17/22 at 3:54 pm

Holy Moley, temperatures will be near 100 degrees!  :o

Yes, it will literally be 100 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday according to the weather app on my phone.

Last night we got a welcome surprise of some rain. Wasn't in the forecast, just popped up out of nowhere. Good thing I didn't go to the pool. There were a lot of lighting strikes close by. Anyhow I used to live in Florida and that's what the weather lately has been reminding me of.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/18/22 at 12:55 am

https://i.postimg.cc/NfVcWX2Y/H65t2BZ.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/18/22 at 3:27 am

Yes, it will literally be 100 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday according to the weather app on my phone.

Last night we got a welcome surprise of some rain. Wasn't in the forecast, just popped up out of nowhere. Good thing I didn't go to the pool. There were a lot of lighting strikes close by. Anyhow I used to live in Florida and that's what the weather lately has been reminding me of.

Try to stay cool and drink as much water as possible to stay hydrated.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/22 at 6:22 am

https://i.postimg.cc/NfVcWX2Y/H65t2BZ.jpg

You don't need the phone/internet to see that everything sucks. It's all around you. And that waterfall is probably dried up from the drought.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/22 at 2:42 pm

How do you think the first half of '22 went?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/22 at 4:05 pm

It's a good thing it's almost over, and hoping the second half will be better as things can turn around mid year. After all things started going downhill for me in the second half of 2021.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/18/22 at 4:08 pm

You don't need the phone/internet to see that everything sucks. It's all around you. And that waterfall is probably dried up from the drought.

Eh, not really. I'm doing all right.  8)

Lots of crazy things going on in the world right now, but personally I can't complain for the most part.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/22 at 4:20 pm

Eh, not really. I'm doing all right.  8)

Lots of crazy things going on in the world right now, but personally I can't complain for the most part.

You might be, but it pretty much sucks for me, especially with the situation in my wife's home country of Ukraine so it effects my personal life. Hence why things really started sucking since late February. Also it's been one thing after another, and not much good to counter it as the pop-culture hasn't been great aside from a few good albums and a few pretty good movies. Also no exciting travel plans.

But since it's not 2020, I'm apparently not allowed to vent or complain about this year, just like in 2020 I wasn't allowed to be happy and enjoy that year even though I did. That itself is what sucks about this decade, we have become a groupthink society and not allowed to have our own opinions.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/22 at 3:41 am

It's a good thing it's almost over, and hoping the second half will be better as things can turn around mid year. After all things started going downhill for me in the second half of 2021.

This first half has been pretty weird, You had Trump, mass shootings, gas prices anything else in the news that I missed that has been pretty insane?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/19/22 at 5:12 am

This first half has been pretty weird, You had Trump, mass shootings, gas prices anything else in the news that I missed that has been pretty insane?

The top news was the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which will continue through the second half and probably next year as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 5:34 am

The top news was the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which will continue through the second half and probably next year as well.
... and into the history books.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/19/22 at 8:50 am

What do you mean "we had Trump"? Biden has been president since January 20, 2021.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/19/22 at 9:46 am

You might be, but it pretty much sucks for me, especially with the situation in my wife's home country of Ukraine so it effects my personal life. Hence why things really started sucking since late February. Also it's been one thing after another, and not much good to counter it as the pop-culture hasn't been great aside from a few good albums and a few pretty good movies. Also no exciting travel plans.

But since it's not 2020, I'm apparently not allowed to vent or complain about this year, just like in 2020 I wasn't allowed to be happy and enjoy that year even though I did. That itself is what sucks about this decade, we have become a groupthink society and not allowed to have our own opinions.

Who says so?  You've got several righteous beefs

Written By: Howard on 06/19/22 at 2:09 pm

That invasion has been going on for months.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/22 at 2:10 pm

What do you mean "we had Trump"? Biden has been president since January 20, 2021.

I meant Trump was in the news.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 12:33 pm

Well, looks like 2022 is a great year for the religious Republican types (I don't like using the word Christian to describe them as they may or may not be true followers, but they all have a cult of personality). If you support the woman right to choose, then not so much.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/22 at 2:25 pm

I wholeheartedly with your last sentence. We're expected to join political "teams" that have strictly defined lines with no room for nuance or compromise.

I just happen to be going through a good period in my life that happens to be coinciding with what seems to be a precipitous decline in our society. And I've always had this feeling that it was going to go down this way. I've long had this feeling that once things really started going my way personally, the rest of the world was going to start coming apart at the seams. So I'm going to enjoy life and appreciate every good day while I still can, because I don't know how much longer the good times will last.

I'm sorry that things aren't going well for you, and I apologize if I've been a little in your face about it. This was not directed at you. It's just that there is so much negativity being aimed at all of us from all directions, and I'm sick of it. Every day I'm more and more convinced that our news and social media are nothing more than mind control and if I really stop and think about it, it makes me very angry.

So I've tuned most of it out. Not because I'm indifferent or callous or afraid, but because there are so many politicians and talking heads and influencers and bloggers out there who are spinning and distorting everything from all directions and trying to push their agendas on us, and it's been making people more and more irrational. I think that's one of the main reasons why there's been such an increase in violence lately. 

I also have this feeling that sooner or later I may very well have to take some sort of action to protect myself and my loved ones, but if I do so I want to know that I'm doing the right thing. I don't want to get swept up in any kind of hysteria, so I'm trying to keep my mind as clear and calm as I possibly can so I can trust my own instincts.

Written By: Contigo on 06/25/22 at 2:41 pm

I wholeheartedly with your last sentence. We're expected to join political "teams" that have strictly defined lines with no room for nuance or compromise.
Every day I'm more and more convinced that our news and social media are nothing more than mind control and if I really stop and think about it, it makes me very angry.

So I've tuned most of it out. Not because I'm indifferent or callous or afraid, but because there are so many politicians and talking heads and influencers and bloggers out there who are spinning and distorting everything from all directions and trying to push their agendas on us, and it's been making people more and more irrational. I think that's one of the main reasons why there's been such an increase in violence lately. 

I fully concur.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/25/22 at 4:08 pm

I tuned out of politics & the news since the election. Believe me, it makes life WAY better. Think for yourself, the 2 party system is stupid. Why are we living in a country that has 2 sides pinned against each other? Of course things aren't gonna go well!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/22 at 5:44 pm

I just happen to be going through a good period in my life that happens to be coinciding with what seems to be a precipitous decline in our society. And I've always had this feeling that it was going to go down this way. I've long had this feeling that once things really started going my way personally, the rest of the world was going to start coming apart at the seams. So I'm going to enjoy life and appreciate every good day while I still can, because I don't know how much longer the good times will last.

I'm sorry that things aren't going well for you, and I apologize if I've been a little in your face about it. This was not directed at you. It's just that there is so much negativity being aimed at all of us from all directions, and I'm sick of it. Every day I'm more and more convinced that our news and social media are nothing more than mind control and if I really stop and think about it, it makes me very angry.

I also have this feeling that sooner or later I may very well have to take some sort of action to protect myself and my loved ones, but if I do so I want to know that I'm doing the right thing. I don't want to get swept up in any kind of hysteria, so I'm trying to keep my mind as clear and calm as I possibly can so I can trust my own instincts.

You are right. You have everyone telling you that you HAVE to be angry because these people are going to take away what is yours. You HAVE to fear and be angry at them. Oh, BTW, here is a gun. Here's several. It is not up to me to tell you want to do with it but you really should be angry at those people over there.

My E.S.P. is telling me that we are reaching a tipping point. What that is going to look like I don't know. I like to think that things eventually will turn out much better but it could go the opposite and we (in the general sense) will go deeper into that black hole and who knows what humanity will look like then. I like to think that there are more people who will try to make sure that won't happen than there are people who will try to make it so.

Cat

Written By: Elor on 06/26/22 at 5:51 am

I tuned out of politics & the news since the election. Believe me, it makes life WAY better. Think for yourself, the 2 party system is stupid. Why are we living in a country that has 2 sides pinned against each other? Of course things aren't gonna go well!!
Yeah, the two party system is holding you back a lot in my opinion and is probably also responsible for the massive division in the US. Here in Germany we currently have 7 parties in parliament of which 3 are forming a government coalition. That really covers a much wider spectrum of voters than a two party system ever could. But I highly doubt any of the two parties have any interest in changing that. As is they have almost a guarantee to get about 50% of votes and the respective money and power. No one will want to share that with others.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/26/22 at 9:37 am

I appreciate it! I'm not sure but it doesn't seem like most news media forces us to be angry or afraid. Of course they will always post bad news because that's what they do, always has been that way. The only exception is Fox News only because they want to make Biden look like a failure. However that changed on Friday with the Roe v. Wade reversal (all that took was SCOTUS, under Biden's watch and majority of Senate and House Democrats). I also remember in the past (don't remember when, I think it was sometime in the 2010's) when tragic news such as mass shootings became so frequent that people became desensitized to it. I feel like it's getting that way now.

The situation in Ukraine is getting worse. Just yesterday MIL (they are staying with us for now) received a call from her neighbor that rockets flew close above their house. While dealing with that, our work and financial situation hasn't been that great. We may or may not enter a recession this year (that keeps changing everyday), but a lot of people's financial situation have been impacted in some way especially with the inflation and gas prices. We've just been feeling overworked and underpaid, worse than ever. But at least we have jobs (though sometimes I'm tempted to think unemployment is better off), and we and our loved ones are alive and in good health (knocking on wood).

Anyhow we're on vacation now (first one if over a year) and trying to make the best of it, even though that itself can sometimes be more stress than enjoyment.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/26/22 at 9:59 am

I appreciate it! I'm not sure but it doesn't seem like most news media forces us to be angry or afraid. Of course they will always post bad news because that's what they do, always has been that way. The only exception is Fox News only because they want to make Biden look like a failure. However that changed on Friday with the Roe v. Wade reversal (all that took was SCOTUS, under Biden's watch and majority of Senate and House Democrats). I also remember in the past (don't remember when, I think it was sometime in the 2010's) when tragic news such as mass shootings became so frequent that people became desensitized to it. I feel like it's getting that way now.

The situation in Ukraine is getting worse. Just yesterday MIL (they are staying with us for now) received a call from her neighbor that rockets flew close above their house. While dealing with that, our work and financial situation hasn't been that great. We may or may not enter a recession this year (that keeps changing everyday), but a lot of people's financial situation have been impacted in some way especially with the inflation and gas prices. We've just been feeling overworked and underpaid, worse than ever. But at least we have jobs (though sometimes I'm tempted to think unemployment is better off), and we and our loved ones are alive and in good health (knocking on wood).

Anyhow we're on vacation now (first one if over a year) and trying to make the best of it, even though that itself can sometimes be more stress than enjoyment.

Wait a sec here!  3 of the 6 who voted to end Roe V Wade were appointed by Trump, and 2 of those seats were stolen - Scalia  and Ginsberg thanks to Moscow Mitch, so don't blame Biden for this one

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/26/22 at 10:44 am

Wait a sec here!  3 of the 6 who voted to end Roe V Wade were appointed by Trump, and 2 of those seats were stolen - Scalia  and Ginsberg thanks to Moscow Mitch, so don't blame Biden for this one

I wasn't blaming Biden. I was just making a point about one side being happy and celebrating while the other side is unhappy and miserable. I'm well aware that it was a pre-planned thing to appoint ACB to replace RBG. Their side believes it was "God's Will" as "the savior of America" left a legacy while the election was stolen from him.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/26/22 at 2:12 pm

The new abortion bans are good and all but I also think it was planned beforehand to try to divide the people. They want to "divide and conquer" and they knew that doing this would cause the left to freak out and start rioting. We're in for some very wicked riots coming down the pike from the crazy people on the left.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/26/22 at 2:30 pm

The new abortion bans are good and all but I also think it was planned beforehand to try to divide the people. They want to "divide and conquer" and they knew that doing this would cause the left to freak out and start rioting. We're in for some very wicked riots coming down the pike from the crazy people on the left.

Yeah, I imagine them to be similar to the George Floyd/BLM riots.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/22 at 3:02 pm

As opposed to the wicked riots from the crazy people on the right who stormed the Capital to try to overthrow the government?

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/26/22 at 3:37 pm

We're in for some very wicked riots coming down the pike from the crazy people on the left.

As opposed to the wicked riots from the crazy people on the right who stormed the Capital to try to overthrow the government?

Cat

Is it just me, or does it alnost seem like people are becoming so consumed by rage that they're turning into zombies?  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/26/22 at 3:44 pm

Is it just me, or does it alnost seem like people are becoming so consumed by rage that they're turning into zombies?  :o

It seems to be a 2020's thing. First from the pandemic and then if it's not one thing it's another. That tends to have an effect on people's mental health.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/22 at 3:54 pm

Is it just me, or does it alnost seem like people becoming so consumed by rage that they're turning into zombies?  :o

Yup.

I have been thinking about this lately and trying to figure out why. I think there are a lot of factors involved. I think I could probably write a dissertation about it. It starts with the decline of the Middle Class. People have to work more and get less. Generations now have less than their parents and grandparents. Instead of putting blame where blame belongs (corporations, the mega rich who own politicians, etc.), they are being told (with the help of Fox News and the like) that their situation is because of "the other" whether that be immigrants, people of a different race, different party, different religion, etc. etc. Divide and conquer. And the corporations, mega rich, & politicians are winning. Everyone is too busy fighting each other that they don't see the corporations, mega rich & their lackey politicians are taking our country away.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/26/22 at 4:13 pm

Yup.

I have been thinking about this lately and trying to figure out why. I think there are a lot of factors involved. I think I could probably write a dissertation about it. It starts with the decline of the Middle Class. People have to work more and get less. Generations now have less than their parents and grandparents. Instead of putting blame where blame belongs (corporations, the mega rich who own politicians, etc.), they are being told (with the help of Fox News and the like) that their situation is because of "the other" whether that be immigrants, people of a different race, different party, different religion, etc. etc. Divide and conquer. And the corporations, mega rich, & politicians are winning. Everyone is too busy fighting each other that they don't see the corporations, mega rich & their lackey politicians are taking our country away.

Cat

Exactly! And if there's one thing that truly terrifies the elites, it's when there's someone charismatic who comes along and begins convincing poor and working class people of all races and creeds that we are not each other's enemies and we're all getting shafted by the same system.

Unfortunately, whenever those charismatic people come along, they tend to have shortened lifespans.  :-\\

Written By: Slim95 on 06/26/22 at 4:56 pm

Cat

I'm not on either side. I'm neither right nor left. I think it's all just used to divide people and try to control them.  I have conservative values and I'm pro-life. But I'm definitely not a Trump supporter or support the White House storming. I think that was planned too. I try to stay away from politics when I can. Either way, rioting and destroying buildings and being violent is wrong.

Written By: Elor on 06/26/22 at 10:12 pm

Everyone is too busy fighting each other that they don't see the corporations, mega rich & their lackey politicians are taking our country away.

And the two party system keeps that going as you have no chance to vote for an alternative... :(

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/26/22 at 11:07 pm

yeah I kinda feel like the people in power were like "it's been too long since the 2 sides were angry at each other, let's do this"

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/26/22 at 11:08 pm

people are just angrier in general, even IRL. People need to just chill & stop taking life so seriously

Written By: Howard on 06/27/22 at 3:25 am

I'm seeing that a lot lately.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/22 at 3:27 am

people are just angrier in general, even IRL. People need to just chill & stop taking life so seriously

People these days need to calm down and take it easy.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/27/22 at 9:09 am

And the two party system keeps that going as you have no chance to vote for an alternative... :(

That was true from the post war period and into the '60's.  We use to call them Tweedledumb and tweedledumber, but even though both parties were more or less moderate  a lot of good stuff happened, like Roe v Wade, the Civil and voting rights laws etc, and some not-so-good stuff like the erosion of the labor rights that grew out of the depression.  It's true that multi party systems provide more choices, but most times the parties have to compromise and build coalitions in order to get a majority to govern, while here the compromises take place within the parties.  Now we see very clear and sharp divisions which have made compromise near impossible especially on the big issues because both have moved away from the moderate middle.  This is the case especially with the Republicans.  Anyway, it's just a thought

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/22 at 1:53 pm

I believe that is starting to change with ranked choice voting/instant run-off voting (RCV/IRV). Before you had to hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils. With RCV/IRV people can actually vote for the candidate of their choice no matter of party and it is possible that someone of one of the lesser known parties could actually win. Alaska & Maine are the only states to have that now and more than 20 cities around the country. It is promising that this could be the future which means the two major parties MAY NOT dominate politics.

Here in Vermont, we have 3 major parties: Democrats, Republicans, & Progressive. There are many candidates who run with a D/P after their name meaning they are members of both parties. 

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/27/22 at 7:56 pm

I believe that is starting to change with ranked choice voting/instant run-off voting (RCV/IRV). Before you had to hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils. With RCV/IRV people can actually vote for the candidate of their choice no matter of party and it is possible that someone of one of the lesser known parties could actually win. Alaska & Maine are the only states to have that now and more than 20 cities around the country. It is promising that this could be the future which means the two major parties MAY NOT dominate politics.

But as much as the Democrats and Republicans are fighting each other tooth-and-nail in public, I guarantee that they're working together behind closed doors and doing everything they possibly can to make sure that this never, ever happens.  >:(

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/28/22 at 6:35 am

I'm not on either side. I'm neither right nor left. I think it's all just used to divide people and try to control them.  I have conservative values and I'm pro-life. But I'm definitely not a Trump supporter or support the White House storming. I think that was planned too. I try to stay away from politics when I can. Either way, rioting and destroying buildings and being violent is wrong.

I'm the same way, I don't identify as either Republican nor Democrat. I feel neither care about us (the average hard working middle class majority). The only difference is we either pay for the super rich to get richer or for ones who don't want to work and live on government handouts.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/28/22 at 9:05 am

I'm the same way, I don't identify as either Republican nor Democrat. I feel neither care about us (the average hard working middle class majority). The only difference is we either pay for the super rich to get richer or for ones who don't want to work and live on government handouts.

In my experience (with no scientific study) those are few  and far5 between.  IMHO most poor or unemployed people would love to have good paying jobs.  The "welfare queen" idea is just another trope thrown out there to make people mad

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 3:12 pm

Lol, I was starting to think it was just in Georgia where I live, and I was imagining people telling me maybe I just need to get out of Georgia and it wouldn't suck so bad. Though it is tempting to put my house on the market for sale while the price is high. When I went to Florida a few weeks ago it seemed like the pandemic never happened. People still had the friendly and chill vibe.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/22 at 3:37 am

Lol, I was starting to think it was just in Georgia where I live, and I was imagining people telling me maybe I just need to get out of Georgia and it wouldn't suck so bad. Though it is tempting to put my house on the market for sale while the price is high. When I went to Florida a few weeks ago it seemed like the pandemic never happened. People still had the friendly and chill vibe.

Well maybe they're just tired of this pandemic and wearing stupid masks all the time everywhere they go.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/08/22 at 2:49 pm

I've been thinking 2022 has been a rough year for the UK. There was the Boris Johnson resignation, record heat waves and fires, economic recession and inflation, and now the passing of Queen Elizabeth II which has the nation in mourning.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/22 at 3:49 pm

I've been thinking 2022 has been a rough year for the UK. There was the Boris Johnson resignation, record heat waves and fires, economic recession and inflation, and now the passing of Queen Elizabeth II which has the nation in mourning.

I was devastated to hear about the passing of The Queen.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/22 at 9:06 am

... and now?

Covid infection rates have increased in the UK for the first time since the middle of July, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). One in 70 tested positive, with the largest rise in secondary school children in the week to 14 September.

Check for new replies or respond here...