inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop Punk Revival? Avril Lavigne Releases Her Seventh Album

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/22 at 8:36 am

Looks like Avril has returned to her roots, going all-in with her “pop punk” vibe in her latest release, Love Sux.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/avril-lavigne-love-sux-1311145/

A “breakup album”, Love Sux is about exactly what the title promises: all the ways “bois” suck and lie and break hearts. Rolling Stone says that the release brings her back to her roots, bridging the gap between her early emo vibe with the bubblegum confidence that brought her away from it.  Whether or not a 37-year-old can pull this off (singing about how “bois suck”) is left to be seen.

No word as to whether or not she’ll break out her shopping mall go-cart.

Subject: Re: Pop Punk Revival? Avril Lavigne Releases Her Seventh Album

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/26/22 at 9:07 am

I really hope pop punk fully takes off this year.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/22 at 11:26 pm

Meh, good for her for doing another album and trying to bring punk back. Avril just isn't my taste though. I'm sure she is a great lady though.

Edit:
At least she's Canadian. It's always nice to see Canadian artists (singers from my country) being successful and putting out new music.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/27/22 at 7:06 am

With respect to Avril, I wish people would stop trying to resurrect dead genres. Wish people would focus more energy towards developing new ones.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/22 at 9:08 am

With respect to Avril, I wish people would stop trying to resurrect dead genres. Wish people would focus more energy towards developing new ones.

Agreed.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/27/22 at 9:54 am

I mean, at least it feels fresh since rock has been dead for over a decade now.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/22 at 11:30 am

I mean, at least it feels fresh since rock has been dead for over a decade now.

It isn't though. Since we've already heard the genre before in the past. I would like some new genre of music nobody has ever heard before to definte the decade. Something new that is also good.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/22 at 12:13 pm

It isn't though. Since we've already heard the genre before in the past. I would like some new genre of music nobody has ever heard before to definte the decade. Something new that is also good.

Very true. Avril Lavigne is old hat. She is not the measurement of what is to come. Just because somebody releases something, doesn't mean it's the next thing, or a revival of the old next thing. For all we know, her next album could be an opera album. That doesn't mean opera will suddenly take everything by storm.

The certain age demographic that has not really experienced much except "revivals", and is only interested in that, has got to knock that off or we will truly be at the postmodern "end of history", as the theory goes.

And besides, Avril Lavigne has got to change her name to "April Levine" already. it would make things easier and not drive everybody's spell check crazy.  ;D

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/27/22 at 12:53 pm

There's a difference between fresh and original. It feels different than what we've been used to since like 2009/2010 when rock died off. But I do agree that there should be something new later on in the decade.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/22 at 1:29 pm

There's a difference between fresh and original. It feels different than what we've been used to since like 2009/2010 when rock died off. But I do agree that there should be something new later on in the decade.

Why not now?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/27/22 at 1:31 pm

And besides, Avril Lavigne has got to change her name to "April Levine" already. it would make things easier and not drive everybody's spell check crazy.  ;D

Wouldn’t that alienate the Francophones?  ???

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/27/22 at 1:53 pm

Why not now?  ???

Because rock hasn't been mainstream for 12 years. There is no rush, we're only in 2022.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/27/22 at 4:00 pm

Because rock hasn't been mainstream for 12 years. There is no rush, we're only in 2022.

Yes there IS a rush. We are at the end of history! People here keep taking about it. There are "cycles", things "come back"! We need to break through this.

"The idea of an 'end of history' does not imply that nothing more will ever happen. Rather, what the postmodern sense of an end of history tends to signify is, in the words of contemporary historian Keith Jenkins, the idea that 'the peculiar ways in which the past was historicized (was conceptualized in modernist, linear and essentially metanarrative forms) has now come to an end of its productive life; the all-encompassing 'experiment of modernity' ... is passing away into our postmodern condition'".
- Simon Malpas, The Postmodern (2004), p. 89, quoting Keith Jenkins (2001), p. 57.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/22 at 4:27 pm

I don't think rock was mainstream in 2009. I'm not sure the exact year that rock music died, but it was some time in the 2000s. Earlier in the decade though.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/27/22 at 4:41 pm

Her lead single "Bite Me" flopped a few months ago. People want something new! Punk/emo is coming back, just in a new form that's merged with trap

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/27/22 at 4:43 pm

I don't think rock was mainstream in 2009. I'm not sure the exact year that rock music died, but it was some time in the 2000s. Earlier in the decade though.

Nah there was definitely some rock in 2009 but it was on its death throes. I remember even in the late part there were songs like "sex on fire" that played a lot. It properly died early-mid 2010.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/02/22 at 9:21 pm

Looks like Avril has returned to her roots, going all-in with her “pop punk” vibe in her latest release, Love Sux.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/avril-lavigne-love-sux-1311145/

A “breakup album”, Love Sux is about exactly what the title promises: all the ways “bois” suck and lie and break hearts. Rolling Stone says that the release brings her back to her roots, bridging the gap between her early emo vibe with the bubblegum confidence that brought her away from it.  Whether or not a 37-year-old can pull this off (singing about how “bois suck”) is left to be seen.

No word as to whether or not she’ll break out her shopping mall go-cart.

I think her last album was really stupid!

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/22 at 6:44 am

I recently bought the album and so far, it's my favourite album of 2022.  I gave her some gripe on Instagram.  Where I live, she's a local artist and she announced some Canadian tour dates and not one stop is anywhere around here

Check for new replies or respond here...