inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cancel Culture feels overblown

Written By: NightmareFarm on 03/01/22 at 8:51 pm

People constantly bring it up but I rarely see any celebrities or actors or whatever get cancelled. It seems theres more people complaining about it than actual cancelling. I'm against it but it feels like it's being blown out of proportion and only happens like 1% of the time. I remember when people said eminem was getting cancelled on twitter and nothing happened, in fact it was most people sh**ting over the 1% who were trying to cancel him.

Subject: Re: Cancel Culture feels overblown

Written By: woahjoey on 03/01/22 at 10:20 pm

Been saying this for years! You know who has actually been cancelled? The Chicks after speaking against Bush and the Iraq War, but it wasn't called that back then.

There have since been efforts to legitimately cancel real dirtbags like R. Kelly and Chris Brown in the forms of #MuteRKelly & #MuteChrisBrown.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/02/22 at 7:22 am

Been saying this for years! You know who has actually been cancelled? The Chicks after speaking against Bush and the Iraq War, but it wasn't called that back then.

There have since been efforts to legitimately cancel real dirtbags like R. Kelly and Chris Brown in the forms of #MuteRKelly & #MuteChrisBrown.

With R. Kelly last year it didn't feel right to listen to his music. Even though 2005 was the throwback year last year, I'd skip over the Trapped in the Closet song and div listen to the TP.3 Reloaded CD even though I really liked the "Happy Summertime" song.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/02/22 at 9:10 am

Woody Allen has been cancelled and he was never even convicted of anything!  His recent movies could find no distributor in the US, HBO cancelled their deal with him, and the publisher of his autobiography went back on the deal because employees of the company staged a walkout (don't they have anything better to do?). Granted he found another publisher, but he shouldn't have had to go through that. He is basically ruined any way you look at it.

Anybody who thinks cancel culture isn't happening has their head in the sand. People are even cancelling THEMSELVES. That's how entrenched it has become in the consciousness of people who are into it. Jessica Krug, a white, Jewish tenured professor at George Washington University, posed for years as a Black woman (apparently several different types of Black women) "Jess LaBombalera". When she was found out, she cancelled herself:

"To an escalating degree over my adult life, I have eschewed my lived experience as a white Jewish child in suburban Kansas City under various assumed identities within a Blackness that I had no right to claim: first North African Blackness, then US rooted Blackness, then Caribbean rooted Bronx Blackness. I have not only claimed these identities as my own when I had absolutely no right to do so...I believe in accountability. And I believe in cancel culture as a necessary and righteous tool for those with less structural power to wield against those with more power. I should absolutely be cancelled. No. I don’t write in passive voice, ever, because I believe we must name power. So. You should absolutely cancel me, and I absolutely cancel myself. What does that mean? I don't know."

-https://medium.com/@jessakrug/the-truth-and-the-anti-black-violence-of-my-lies-9a9621401f85

Now this may seem ridiculous, and it IS, but the fact that Krug "cancels" herself and then ends her statement with "what does it mean? I don't know" shows not only how entrenched the concept of cancellation is in the minds of some, but how abstract it is as well.  Granted, it is not MAINSTREAM AMERICA who is doing this, but a smaller group whose voices are amplified due to the modern miracle of social media. Hollywood (again, a small group with an amplified voice)is doing it left and right and they, for better or worse, often set the tone of things.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/22 at 10:32 am

People constantly bring it up but I rarely see any celebrities or actors or whatever get cancelled. It seems theres more people complaining about it than actual cancelling. I'm against it but it feels like it's being blown out of proportion and only happens like 1% of the time. I remember when people said eminem was getting cancelled on twitter and nothing happened, in fact it was most people sh**ting over the 1% who were trying to cancel him.

I once got canceled at a message board before I even had the chance to make a post or even “like” a post. Cancellation is real!!!!

Written By: Contigo on 03/02/22 at 11:06 am

Let's start a movement to cancel "Cancel culture"

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/22 at 11:15 am

Let's start a movement to cancel "Cancel culture"
Algebraic or logicly speaking:

cancel culture - cancel = culture ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/22 at 2:36 pm

I find that lately the people who complain the most about cancel culture are the ones doing the canceling.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/02/22 at 3:35 pm

I find that lately the people who complain the most about cancel culture are the ones doing the canceling.

Cat

John Lennon was very fond of quoting something Harry Nilsson said.  "Everything is the opposite of what it is".  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/22 at 3:37 pm

John Lennon was very fond of quoting something Harry Nilsson said.  "Everything is the opposite of what it is".  :D
There's nothin' you can know that isn't known?

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/02/22 at 3:59 pm

I once got canceled at a message board before I even had the chance to make a post or even “like” a post. Cancellation is real!!!!

If you’re talking about Popedia, no offense but you actually did deserve that one. Just calling it like I see it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/22 at 6:00 pm

“It is what it isn’t?” ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/22 at 5:18 am

Chris Brown has never been cancelled. Every time his name comes up about some rude act, his record sales get a boost.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/03/22 at 11:19 am

Chris Brown has never been cancelled. Every time his name comes up about some rude act, his record sales get a boost.

Well known mentally unstable person Kayne West also seems to be made of Teflon when it comes to not being cancelled. I'm not sure why. The guy has no redeeming qualities and he harrasses people.

Read here:

www.buzzfeednews.com/article/leylamohammed/pete-davidson-kanye-west-kidnapped-decapitated-music-video

Support And Concern For Pete Davidson Is At An All-Time High After Kanye West’s New Music Video Showed Him Being Kidnapped, Decapitated, And Buried Alive By The Rapper

West's new music video, which boasts the message “Everyone lived happily ever after except Skete,” was released just hours after Kim Kardashian was declared legally single in court.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/03/22 at 5:59 pm

Well known mentally unstable person Kayne West also seems to be made of Teflon when it comes to not being cancelled. I'm not sure why. The guy has no redeeming qualities and he harrasses people.

Read here:

www.buzzfeednews.com/article/leylamohammed/pete-davidson-kanye-west-kidnapped-decapitated-music-video

Support And Concern For Pete Davidson Is At An All-Time High After Kanye West’s New Music Video Showed Him Being Kidnapped, Decapitated, And Buried Alive By The Rapper

West's new music video, which boasts the message “Everyone lived happily ever after except Skete,” was released just hours after Kim Kardashian was declared legally single in court.

Ray-J knew how to put Kanye in his place, when Ray put out his diss track, “I Hit It First”.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/04/22 at 9:26 am

Ray-J knew how to put Kanye in his place, when Ray put out his diss track, “I Hit It First”.  ;D

West puts out a video of a public figure (Pete Davidson) being decapitated and nobody says anything. When unfunny comedian Kathy Griffin crudely posed with a decapitated head effigy of Donald Trump she was cancelled and basically remains cancelled to this day. Granted, Pete Davidson isn't President of the United States, but still.

And I'm not even sure why a young man like Pete Davidson wants a middle aged, heavily plastic-surgeried woman like Kim Kardashian who is over ten years older than him anyway. Or, if you want to look at it from the other side,  what does she want with a schlub-like, obvious stoner like him? I once heard him described by a female comedian (probably a disgruntled ex) as "a pile of old sweatshirts". ;D How does he get so many woman perceived as "glamorous"?

;D That's my gossip column about meaningless things for today. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/22 at 12:26 pm

How does he get so many woman perceived as "glamorous"?

Maybe he’s packing a little extra something….  ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/04/22 at 2:00 pm

Maybe he’s packing a little extra something….  ;)

That's what Arianna Grande said he had. But he said she set him up because she made it sound like such a big deal that now all woman he dates are bound to be disappointed. Very clever of her.  ;D

Pete Davidson seems like a cool guy and he doesn't deserve to be harassed by unstable has-been (and definitely NOT cool guy) Kanye West.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/22 at 6:14 pm

That's what Arianna Grande said he had. But he said she set him up because she made it sound like such a big deal that now all woman he dates are bound to be disappointed. Very clever of her.  ;D

Pete Davidson seems like a cool guy and he doesn't deserve to be harassed by unstable has-been (and definitely NOT cool guy) Kanye West.

Just dawned on me. Kanye could come out with a hit record called “I Hit It LAST”.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/04/22 at 6:37 pm

Just dawned on me. Kanye could come out with a hit record called “I Hit It LAST”.  ;D

But he obviously isn't the last. That's what he's so upset about. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/04/22 at 8:03 pm

Dr. Todd Grande analyzes the Kanye West/Kim Kardashian/Pete Davidson situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIOizV1ZrU

Written By: miserybusiness on 03/27/22 at 11:50 pm

some people will always have stans no matter what

Check for new replies or respond here...