inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Skeumorphism

Written By: Slim95 on 03/06/22 at 10:00 pm

It needs to come back..

Subject: Re: Skeumorphism

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/22 at 5:23 am

What is skeumorphism?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/22 at 5:35 am

I was about to exactly the same question!

I am not looking it up, it should be explained by the OP, with examples etc?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/22 at 9:35 am

Still no definition yet?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/10/22 at 5:28 am

From Wikipedia:

A skeuomorph (also spelled skiamorph, /ˈskjuːəˌmɔːrf, ˈskjuːoʊ-/) is a derivative object that retains ornamental design cues (attributes) from structures that were necessary in the original.

I still don't get what you're asking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/22 at 2:33 pm

From Wikipedia:

I still don't get what you're asking.
I'm still none the wiser.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/10/22 at 3:46 pm

I thought it was just me. I tried looking it myself and those combinations of words didn't make sense to me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/22 at 3:54 pm

I know somebody who got skeuomorphism and had to go to the doctor.  Some ointment cured it.

Written By: karen on 03/10/22 at 3:56 pm

https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/skeuomorphism

This gives a better explanation

So when using a computer or other digital interface icons etc look like a real object. Like the touchscreen keyboard I am using has shading around the keys to make them look like a real keyboard. Sometimes though the original image now makes no sense - the example given in the article is clicking on symbol of a floppy disc to save an article.

Written By: Girli on 01/09/23 at 6:13 am

It needs to come back..

HAHA No! and hasn't already came back with whole neumorphism thing? with the releases of macOS Big Sur/Windows 11/ and possibile recent (2020's) era linux distros  due the increasing popularity of Augment reality (AR) I think many companies/devs are combining the already exitising flat with some some (Major) ques of Skeumorphism since AR is all about seeing fictional things in reality. Honestly I don't like when they change things, "Skeumorphism" looks silly IMO and looks nothing more than a marketing gimmick, it made the device look like a disorganized novelty than actual productivity device, flat design looks better take iOS for example iOS 7-10 had the best design language, I liked how everything looked thin and organized while still being visually appealing unlike the chunky/ugly iOS 6 and before or the neumorphic inconsitincy of iOS 11+, I was bummed  when I had to updated my phone from iOS 10.

Written By: karen on 01/10/23 at 3:16 pm

https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/skeuomorphism

This gives a better explanation

So when using a computer or other digital interface icons etc look like a real object. Like the touchscreen keyboard I am using has shading around the keys to make them look like a real keyboard. Sometimes though the original image now makes no sense - the example given in the article is clicking on symbol of a floppy disc to save an article.

On Only Connect last night one of the picture rounds had photos of objects that are used as app icons (such as an old style telephone receiver and a floppy disc). One of the contestants commented that a younger colleague had found a floppy disc and wondered why someone had 3D printed the save icon

Check for new replies or respond here...