inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you guys noticed cash is becoming worthless?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/26/22 at 11:47 am

I'm a cash guy, I guess I'm old fashioned. But I've noticed cash is slowly becoming worthless and going away. What I mean is whenever I go to the store and pay cash, I notice the cashier's don't give me exact change anymore. For example, if the change is 1.95, they just give me a toonie back. I never noticed this before. Likewise, consumers who want to get rid of their change are more often saying "keep the change" as well. It's almost like cash itself is losing its value so cashiers don't mind giving you more change back or people don't mind throwing their change away. It's kind of scary in a way too since we've been hearing on the news how the government has the ability to freeze people's bank accounts. I'm not looking forward to a cashless society.

Subject: Re: Have you guys noticed cash is becoming worthless?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/26/22 at 11:57 am

I take every piece of change I can get. If the cashier wants to give me extra change, great, I’ll take it. But I’m not gonna overpay by saying “keep the change”.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/26/22 at 1:28 pm

I'm a cash guy, I guess I'm old fashioned. But I've noticed cash is slowly becoming worthless and going away. What I mean is whenever I go to the store and pay cash, I notice the cashier's don't give me exact change anymore. For example, if the change is 1.95, they just give me a toonie back. I never noticed this before. Likewise, consumers who want to get rid of their change are more often saying "keep the change" as well. It's almost like cash itself is losing its value so cashiers don't mind giving you more change back or people don't mind throwing their change away. It's kind of scary in a way too since we've been hearing on the news how the government has the ability to freeze people's bank accounts. I'm not looking forward to a cashless society.

I think people are using credit and food stamp cards nowadays in today's world, occasionally they're using cash, maybe they feel it's easy to carry around.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/22 at 2:12 pm

I hire two people who come to my house once a week-my cleaning lady & my massage therapist. (Yes, I am spoiled.) I pay both of them in cash so they don't have to declare it. One time my cleaning lady told me that she used to declare it until her financial guy told her not to.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/26/22 at 2:27 pm

I hire two people who come to my house once a week-my cleaning lady & my massage therapist. (Yes, I am spoiled.) I pay both of them in cash so they don't have to declare it. One time my cleaning lady told me that she used to declare it until her financial guy told her not to.

Cat

Better hope nobody rats you out, or you could be on the hook to back-pay FICA employer contributions as well as possible penalties.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/26/22 at 3:24 pm

I have been saying for a number of years now that we live in a  cashless society. I really started noticing it when I saw things like people paying for a bottle of water in a convenience store with a credit or debit card. Or a cup of coffee. But that was years ago now, and today that's ALL you see, and people even pay for coffee in places like Dunkin Donuts by simply showing something or other on their phones. Again, in the early days when this still seemed strange to me, I inquired of people why they did this. I got responses like "I don't like carrying cash around". For heaven's sake! People have carried cash around since time immemorial and all of a sudden it's some kind of burden? Nobody is saying you should carry around dangerously LARGE amounts of cash. But certainly enough for a bottle of water or cup of coffee. But in today's effete society, that's a "bother". I think I'd feel naked if I didn't have at least a little bit of money in my pocket.

But you raise an interesting point about no longer getting exact change, etc. So, basically, paying for things is becoming inexact. With this de-emphasis on cash, people making transactions can't seem to be bothered with change. Further evidence of this is that at the checkout of many placed there is now a cup or receptacle with change for people to "take a penny (or nickel or dine) or leave a penny (or nickel or dime)". Another thing I have noticed is that now people just LEAVE change around. They leave it on the counter, they drop it on the floor. They just don't bother with it. I see it strewn about all over the place now. Well, too bad  for them. If I see abandoned change I always take it. Money is money.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/22 at 3:37 pm

Better hope nobody rats you out, or you could be on the hook to back-pay FICA employer contributions as well as possible penalties.  :o

It is THEIR business, I am the client so I don't pay FICA.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/26/22 at 6:04 pm

It is THEIR business, I am the client so I don't pay FICA.

Cat

Some jurisdictions see things otherwise, and attempt to claw employer taxes from the client. California in particular would like to extinguish the contractor model.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/22 at 6:51 pm

Some jurisdictions see things otherwise, and attempt to claw employer taxes from the client. California in particular would like to extinguish the contractor model.

I don't live in California.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/27/22 at 9:23 am

So I would have to pay FICA when I visit the dentist or doctor?  Or hire someone to plow my driveway? I don't think so

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/27/22 at 11:18 am

So I would have to pay FICA when I visit the dentist or doctor?  Or hire someone to plow my driveway? I don't think so

More along the lines of 1-on-1 transactions.

For example, California is itching to eliminate the concept of the Independent Contractor truck driver.  These are drivers who own their own truck/trailer and then contract with trucking firms (who may also have company-employee drivers who drive company-owned equipment) to haul freight.  California politicians want them to be considered employees... and there are lots of tax-hungry politicisna in Washington who want to do the same.

Same with Uber drivers who by the traditional model are Independent Contractors (they own their equipment)... California mandated that they be considered employees and not contractors... although I think the voters overturned that.

As to the guy who plows your driveway... yeah ultimately they'd like to go after them too.  Give it time.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/27/22 at 1:49 pm

Good, cash is inefficient.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/22 at 2:35 pm

I think maybe in the next 10-15 years paper bills might be useless, I just think everyone will be using credit and food stamp cards after that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/27/22 at 3:36 pm

Here’s some guidances as to when one is on the hook to pay taxes for household workers.

https://work.chron.com/tax-rules-employing-housekeeper-10188.html

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/27/22 at 4:02 pm

Uber/UberEats, Lyft, Grubhub, etc, do NOT allow cash.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/27/22 at 4:08 pm

There's a little bin in my car just to the left of the steering wheel that I'll toss my loose change into on the rare occasions when I pay for fast food with cash at a drive thru.

The only time I take any change out is when I pay for my prescriptions at a drive thru pharmacy.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/22 at 8:55 pm

The only time I ever have cash on me is when I take movies or videogames I no longer want and sell them at a local game store.  It's a lot safer to not carry cash these days

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/27/22 at 9:14 pm

The only time I ever have cash on me is when I take movies or videogames I no longer want and sell them at a local game store.  It's a lot safer to not carry cash these days

Seriously? It's dangerous to carry $10? or even $20? If somebody is gonna rob you they are gonna rob you regardless. They don't know if you have $1 or $1000 in your pocket. Do you carry a cell phone? A cell phone is certainly worth more than $10. And, if you are using it in public it's also more obvious than the $10 that might be tucked in your pocket. Do you feel it's dangerous enough to carry a cell phone that you won't carry one?

I'm not being personal to you specifically here, just to the general reasoning. Under scrutiny that "it's dangerous to carry cash" excuse doesn't completely hold water.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/22 at 3:28 am

Uber/UberEats, Lyft, Grubhub, etc, do NOT allow cash.

So they use credit cards?

Written By: Howard on 03/28/22 at 3:34 am

The times when I have cash is when I go to a fast food place to buy either breakfast or lunch or maybe a small convenient store but other places I use my food stamp card in a place like a supermarket.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/28/22 at 10:22 am

Here’s some guidances as to when one is on the hook to pay taxes for household workers.

https://work.chron.com/tax-rules-employing-housekeeper-10188.html

Yea, our house keeper falls into what is described in the first paragraph, as in our plow guy, also carpenters, plumbers, etc

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/22 at 2:42 pm

Yea, our house keeper falls into what is described in the first paragraph, as in our plow guy, also carpenters, plumbers, etc

I know that is what the article called her but I wouldn't call her a house "keeper." To me, a housekeeper IS an employee. She does not keep our house. She is a house cleaner or a cleaning lady.

Yeah, I know semantics.

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 03/28/22 at 2:54 pm

I use cash very often, this old fart is used to it. :) 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/22 at 2:58 pm

From Monty Python:

"There is nothing quite as wonderful as money!
There is nothing like a newly minted pound!
Everyone must hanker for the butchness of a banker
It's accountancy that makes the world go round!"

Written By: Howard on 03/28/22 at 2:58 pm

I use cash very often, this old fart is used to it. :)

Where do you go, Contigo?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/22 at 3:25 pm

"And they pay in cash, which is just as good as money".

~Yogi Berra

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/22 at 4:26 pm

Seriously? It's dangerous to carry $10? or even $20? If somebody is gonna rob you they are gonna rob you regardless. They don't know if you have $1 or $1000 in your pocket. Do you carry a cell phone? A cell phone is certainly worth more than $10. And, if you are using it in public it's also more obvious than the $10 that might be tucked in your pocket. Do you feel it's dangerous enough to carry a cell phone that you won't carry one?

I'm not being personal to you specifically here, just to the general reasoning. Under scrutiny that "it's dangerous to carry cash" excuse doesn't completely hold water.

If someone robs me of cash on me, I feel a bigger loss than I would if someone stole my cellphone.  I can replace a phone, I can't replace cash.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/22 at 5:52 am

If someone robs me of cash on me, I feel a bigger loss than I would if someone stole my cellphone.  I can replace a phone, I can't replace cash.
How about the case of the information stored on the phone?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/29/22 at 7:13 am

Yes, and I'd also be more worried about being robbed of credit cards, debit cards, driver's license and other such cards than cash. Granted, they can be cancelled, but it's a hassle and you've got to beat the thief to it before they start using them, or before the thief tries to steal your identity.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/22 at 12:02 pm

"Who finds the money when you pay the rent?
Did you think that money was heaven sent?" - Lennon/McCartney

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 2:35 pm

That can be stolen too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/22 at 10:59 am

This topic has turned out to be quite acccurate.

This morning  I went to Dunkin Donuts and got a coffee and muffin. It came to $5.13 I gave the girl behind the counter a $5 bill and a quarter. She gave me the coffee and muffin. I was waiting for my change but she showed no inclination to give it to me. She had closed the money drawer and everything. I just stood there. After about ten seconds of this she looked at me and said with what in the 80s we would have called a "Valley Girl" voice, "uh, do you want, like, the TWELVE CENTS?". I said "Yes, I do". And just to make sure she got the message I said "of COURSE I do". She had a mask on, but I am certain that underneath she was scowling mightily.

I don't know why this trend has begun. People walk away without the change or they leave it on the counter, etc. So places have just stopped giving it. Another win for the corporations. All the change they keep adds up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/22 at 11:08 am

This morning  I went to Dunkin Donuts and got a coffee and muffin. It came to $5.13 I gave the girl behind the counter a $5 bill and a quarter. She gave me the coffee and muffin. I was waiting for my change but she showed no inclination to give it to me. She had closed the money drawer and everything. I just stood there. After about ten seconds of this she looked at me and said with what in the 80s we would have called a "Valley Girl" voice, "uh, do you want, like, the TWELVE CENTS?". I said "Yes, I do". And just to make sure she got the message I said "of COURSE I do". She had a mask on, but I am certain that underneath she was scowling mightily.

I don't know why this trend has begun. People walk away without the change or they leave it on the counter, etc. So places have just stopped giving it. Another win for the corporations. All the change they keep adds up.
It not giving the change to the customer like that be classified as theft?

For over two years now, I have not used cash to purchased anything, it has always been with my card, and problems like this do not happen.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/05/22 at 11:43 am

It not giving the change to the customer like that be classified as theft?

For over two years now, I have not used cash to purchased anything, it has always been with my card, and problems like this do not happen.

I notice that in some thrift shops I go to, if there is change coming to you (under a dollar) they ask if you want to donate it to a charitable cause. That's one constructive way of dealing with this odd problem of people who think they are too good to receive their change.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/22 at 1:51 pm

I notice that in some thrift shops I go to, if there is change coming to you (under a dollar) they ask if you want to donate it to a charitable cause. That's one constructive way of dealing with this odd problem of people who think they are too good to receive their change.

ASKING is the key word there. That "Valley girl" you encountered didn't even give you the courtesy. If it happens again, you should talk to the manager.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/22 at 1:53 pm

ASKING is the key word there. That "Valley girl" you encountered didn't even give you the courtesy. If it happens again, you should talk to the manager.

Cat
...and ask for previous customer transactions to be taken into consideration?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/22 at 2:49 pm

Some people these days behind the counters are in their own world sometimes.

Written By: Girli on 01/09/23 at 6:55 am

I predict that if cash goes away then so will our currency, with all the talk about UBI/Cryptocurrency nowadays I think most of everyone  in most country's currency will be valued less as our governments will adopt to own Cryptocurrency system which will slowly fade out cash along with whatever your country's currency is. but who knows cash might go away first (which is likely) but I am just speculating.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/23 at 4:06 pm

I predict that if cash goes away then so will our currency, with all the talk about UBI/Cryptocurrency nowadays I think most of everyone  in most country's currency will be valued less as our governments will adopt to own Cryptocurrency system which will slowly fade out cash along with whatever your country's currency is. but who knows cash might go away first (which is likely) but I am just speculating.

So What do you think we'll be buying our things with?

Written By: Girli on 01/09/23 at 5:29 pm

So What do you think we'll be buying our things with?

Probably litecoin, bitcoin or whatever crypto is "popular"  at that given time or even the government might create its own crypto system that easy/more accessible to understand for people who don't understand crypto as the 80% would have already have the their finances in crypto, I don't know jack about crypto so I do sound stupid right now. lately I've been hearing that "crypto is the future" and all that, which IMO probably won't happen in 50 years, but who knows? and as for UBI lets hope the governments find it in their hearts to develop a system to help those who are really in need.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/23 at 4:55 am

Probably litecoin, bitcoin or whatever crypto is "popular"  at that given time or even the government might create its own crypto system that easy/more accessible to understand for people who don't understand crypto as the 80% would have already have the their finances in crypto, I don't know jack about crypto so I do sound stupid right now. lately I've been hearing that "crypto is the future" and all that, which IMO probably won't happen in 50 years, but who knows? and as for UBI lets hope the governments find it in their hearts to develop a system to help those who are really in need.
What would happen to all the money in cryptocurrency if the Internet were to go down?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/23 at 7:26 am

Are Bitcoins, etc worth more on the dark web?

Written By: Howard on 01/10/23 at 3:06 pm

I think everybody will start using cards and cards only, paper currency might be phased out.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/11/23 at 10:56 am

Well, for all of you who think cash is worthless, just send all you want (or rather don't want) my way, I take any denominations

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/23 at 11:07 am

Well, for all of you who think cash is worthless, just send all you want (or rather don't want) my way, I take any denominations
In plain envelopes?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/11/23 at 11:18 am

That's essentially what is happening in a small way, which was the point of the original post. Either cashiers don't give small bits of change back to the purchaser (because they are making the assumption the purchaser does not want it), or the purchaser leaves the small bits on the counters or on the floor. It happens frequently at places like Dunkin Donuts, for the ever decreasing percentage of people who still use cash at all. I scoop up all this discarded change when I see it (unless it is clearly left as a tip for the server). If people want to refuse or throw away money I will gladly take it. This is pretty much the same thing as what you are saying in a humorous way about people sending you cash. They are already doing it.

Subject: Elon Musk's drop in fortunes breaks world record

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/23 at 12:47 pm

Elon Musk has broken the world record for the largest loss of personal fortune in history. From November 2021 to December 2022 he lost around $165bn, Guinness World Records said in a blog on its website. The figures are based on data from publisher Forbes, but Guinness said other sources suggested Mr Musk's losses could have been higher. It follows a fall in value of shares in Mr Musk's electric car firm Tesla after he bought Twitter last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64236726

Written By: Howard on 01/11/23 at 3:12 pm

In plain envelopes?

Or how about wiring the money?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/23 at 3:15 pm

Or how about wiring the money?
In this case, posting in envelopes will do.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/23 at 7:04 am

Just make sure you put a stamp on it and mail it quickly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/23 at 12:23 pm

Just make sure you put a stamp on it and mail it quickly.
... and you do not want to weight the envelope down with excessive amounts of the contents.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/23 at 5:56 pm

We have a guy at work… 20 or 21 years old… who, believe it or not, does not know how to address an envelope to mail out a letter the old fashioned way.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/13/23 at 3:03 am

We have a guy at work… 20 or 21 years old… who, believe it or not, does not know how to address an envelope to mail out a letter the old fashioned way.  ::)

Wow are you serious?  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/13/23 at 3:04 am

In the near future, I think everybody we will all be using just cards.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/23 at 4:53 am

Yep. One of the gals at work had to show him how to do it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/13/23 at 10:04 am

I guess that's one of the subjects the thought police are against

Written By: Howard on 01/13/23 at 3:48 pm

Yep. One of the gals at work had to show him how to do it.

Wow, that's just sad.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/23 at 5:43 pm

I guess that's one of the subjects the thought police are against

I’m kinda wondering how that guy gets along in life. I mean, he certainly must receive stuff in the mail to see how letters are addressed. He’s a college student too. Crazy.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/14/23 at 10:10 am

I’m kinda wondering how that guy gets along in life. I mean, he certainly must receive stuff in the mail to see how letters are addressed. He’s a college student too. Crazy.

When I was woirking I interacted with lots of college students.  Nothing would surprise me

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/23 at 11:18 am

When I was woirking I interacted with lots of college students.  Nothing would surprise me

Well one of his (female) coworkers has had to remind him, on several occasions… to take his finger out of his nose, too.

Never boring where I work.  ;D

Written By: lolabee on 01/22/23 at 5:45 pm

I just want to point out that the young man is not to be blamed, but the education he didn't had;
I am currently 27 years old and i think the few times I had to send letters, I checked on the internet how to. Ask your grandparents if they would laugh if you told them you didn't know how to fax something, or dial up with an operator..  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/23/23 at 10:24 am

To return to the subject, there is an article in the AARP bulletin about many retailers preferring credit or debit cards to cash, and at least one that, for a time, refused cash.  It outlines several newer ways to pay electronically with smart phones etc. interesting

Written By: Howard on 01/23/23 at 2:54 pm

To return to the subject, there is an article in the AARP bulletin about many retailers preferring credit or debit cards to cash, and at least one that, for a time, refused cash.  It outlines several newer ways to pay electronically with smart phones etc. interesting

I think using credit and/or debit cards might be the way to go in the near future.

Check for new replies or respond here...