inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2022 Oscars Rated R - For Violence and Nudity

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/22 at 5:00 am

Well the 2022 Oscar Awards show will go down in the anals of history as memorable for sure.

First, Will Smith started shouting at host Chris Rock and then stormed the stage and slapped him. He then continued a profanity-laced diatribe from the audience. There’s talk that he could have his Oscar stripped due to this behaviour.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/28/could-will-smith-lose-his-oscar-over-chris-rock-slap/

I can remember a time when somebody said “Will Smith doesn’t have to cuss on his raps to sell records”.

Not to be topped, Venus Williams then graced attendees with what is euphemistically referred to as a “wardrobe malfunction”.  :o. The Daily Mail foresaw the inevitable in this article published prior to the event:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10658199/Oscars-2022-Venus-Williams-risks-wardrobe-malfunction-low-cut-white-dress.html

Subject: Re: 2022 Oscars Rated R - For Violence and Nudity

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/22 at 6:03 am

Was going to share this in the 2021 movies thread but here are the full results of last night's Oscar's:

94th academy awards winners & nominees https://g.co/kgs/yjLH4d

Apparently I couldn't watch it without cable, unless I upgraded to premium account for Hulu or YouTube TV. I missed all the tributes and support for Ukraine.

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/22 at 11:20 am

I honestly think after that incident, Will is going to find it difficult to get future film roles.  I truly believe that Chris Rock didn't know Jada had a hair loss condition.  I didn't know she had a condition

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/22 at 12:02 pm

I used to try and watch the coverage of the Oscar ceremony live, but now have given up. For before I used to try to see the nominated films and pick the winner, now with the pandemic, that task is now difficult to do.

I honestly think after that incident, Will is going to find it difficult to get future film roles.  I truly believe that Chris Rock didn't know Jada had a hair loss condition.  I didn't know she had a condition
I agree with you on that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/22 at 12:15 pm

I used to try and watch the coverage of the Oscar ceremony live, but now have given up. For before I used to try to see the nominated films and pick the winner, now with the pandemic, that task is now difficult to do.
I agree with you on that.

It wasn't like there were a lot of movies to choose from. Pretty much every movie released last year had a chance to be nominated. My favorite movie from last year (Dune) won quite a few.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/22 at 12:18 pm

It wasn't like there were a lot of movies to choose from. Pretty much every movie released last year had a chance to be nominated. My favorite movie from last year (Dune) won quite a few.
O0

Which is now on my must-see list, and for personal reasons I must see "Coda" too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/28/22 at 12:28 pm

I'm thinking it was staged.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/28/22 at 12:35 pm

I haven't watched the Oscars since the Best Picture snafu of 2017 (not that I cared who won), and I probably won't be watching Awards shows again. There are more important issues than this crass example of Hollywood "showmanship".

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/22 at 12:37 pm

I'm thinking it was staged.
Exactly as a said to a friend of mine, Will Smith is an actor, and should know how to disguise a punch for when filming.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/28/22 at 1:00 pm

I haven't watched the Oscars since the Best Picture snafu of 2017 (not that I cared who won), and I probably won't be watching Awards shows again. There are more important issues than this crass example of Hollywood "showmanship".

It's amazing what drastic measures Hollywood is taking to try and get people to actually care about the Oscars.

Exactly as a said to a friend of mine, Will Smith is an actor, and should know how to disguise a punch for when filming.

Not only that but Will Smith is now an Academy Award-winning actor so if anyone has the acting chops to sell this, he does.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/22 at 2:48 pm

When I first saw it I kind of thought it was staged but when I heard Will Smith cuss like that, he was being serious.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/22 at 2:49 pm

There was no need for cursing.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/22 at 3:47 pm

Apparently it wasn't staged. I don't condone assault, but Chris Rock shouldn't have joked about his wife's hair especially since she has a medical condition that causes hair loss.

Anyhow here is a video that summarizes last night.

8x3WtIn6Xi4

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/22 at 4:21 pm

When I first saw it I kind of thought it was staged but when I heard Will Smith cuss like that, he was being serious.

I've heard people say it was staged, but when Will started swearing, it was serious.  I mean he's a good actor, but not that good

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/28/22 at 5:08 pm

I've heard people say it was staged, but when Will started swearing, it was serious.  I mean he's a good actor, but not that good

Well, if he's good enough to win an Academy Award for Best Actor then he's certainly good enough to stage this incident.

And as far as the swearing goes, last night's incident is remarkably similar to one that happened 40 years ago.

(Warning: NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPtNUKptag

The slap occurs at about 10:53. The swearing begins at 11:00.

Although both parties involved were sworn to secrecy about the Letterman incident, it was revealed decades later that the whole thing was staged.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/28/22 at 11:32 pm

It was clearly staged how do you guys not see it. When Will begins shouting you can see a small smile come out of his face as if he was acting. And Chris was acting like nothing happened after he got punched... The cameras kept rolling, no "unexpected interruption" or immediate cue to another scene. It was staged. These guys are actors guys... This is HOLLYWOOD we're talking about. People would forget the Oscars existed without an event like this. That's how low the ratings are. Which is exactly why it happened and why they planned to do this.

This isn't the first time there was some "drama" at an awards show. Nikki Minaj called Miley Cyrus a swear word at the MTV awards a few years ago and you can tell she cracked a smile right after she said it. It's all staged. Many of these things happen at awards shows to boost more ratings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/22 at 1:44 am

It was clearly staged how do you guys not see it. When Will begins shouting you can see a small smile come out of his face as if he was acting. And Chris was acting like nothing happened after he got punched... The cameras kept rolling, no "unexpected interruption" or immediate cue to another scene. It was staged. These guys are actors guys... This is HOLLYWOOD we're talking about. People would forget the Oscars existed without an event like this. That's how low the ratings are. Which is exactly why it happened and why they planned to do this.

This isn't the first time there was some "drama" at an awards show. Nikki Minaj called Miley Cyrus a swear word at the MTV awards a few years ago and you can tell she cracked a smile right after she said it. It's all staged. Many of these things happen at awards shows to boost more ratings.

Staged for publicity, but no need for the swearing?

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 3:39 am

It's a good thing he didn't pull any punches.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 3:41 am

Well, if he's good enough to win an Academy Award for Best Actor then he's certainly good enough to stage this incident.

And as far as the swearing goes, last night's incident is remarkably similar to one that happened 40 years ago.

(Warning: NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPtNUKptag

The slap occurs at about 10:53. The swearing begins at 11:00.

Although both parties involved were sworn to secrecy about the Letterman incident, it was revealed decades later that the whole thing was staged.

It was so funny the way Andy Kaufman faked that injury.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/22 at 5:41 am

Meanwhile online...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/002/335/677/207.jpg

Insert own meme here?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/29/22 at 8:30 am

Will Smith and Chris Rock will probably hug it out in public by the end of the week.

And then we won't need to talk about it anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/22 at 8:45 am

Will Smith and Chris Rock will probably hug it out in public by the end of the week.

Probably make a film together?

A superhero film?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/29/22 at 8:49 am

A superhero film?

Hancock 2? Lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/22 at 9:00 am

Hancock 2? Lol
I would prefer "I Am Legend 2"?

Written By: karen on 03/29/22 at 11:52 am

I only heard the incident on a radio report so can’t comment on how it looked.

What would be the point of staging it “to attract an audience”. You didn’t know something was going to happen, so didn’t watch and will have forgotten about by next year

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 2:42 pm

I think they just did backstage?

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 2:43 pm

A superhero film?

I can't see Chris Rock as a superhero.

Written By: Elor on 03/29/22 at 10:57 pm

I only heard the incident on a radio report so can’t comment on how it looked.

What would be the point of staging it “to attract an audience”. You didn’t know something was going to happen, so didn’t watch and will have forgotten about by next year
Because now people are talking about it around the world. Some of that will stick till next year. Even if the average Joe has forgotten about it there will certainly be more media attention next year. It could be a desperate attempt to prevent the show from becoming completely irrelevant.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/22 at 3:22 am

Because now people are talking about it around the world. Some of that will stick till next year. Even if the average Joe has forgotten about it there will certainly be more media attention next year. It could be a desperate attempt to prevent the show from becoming completely irrelevant.

I think once this situation dies down, people will have forgotten all about it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/30/22 at 4:59 am

I think once this situation dies down, people will have forgotten all about it.

Well at least all the hubbub about Will Smith caused people to forget about the wardrobe malfunction thing.

As to forgetting Will’s incident, people may not forget his tear-laden apology any time soon. I mean, Jimmy Swaggart is still trying to live his apology down, 34 years later:

Q1OXAi7rNMg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/31/22 at 9:38 am

Dr. Todd Grande analyzes the Will Smith/Chris Rock situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRShtiI-ga8

Check for new replies or respond here...