inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Smith Quits the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/02/22 at 7:28 am

In an effort to cheat the hangman, Will quit before they could throw him out.

My opinion, they need to throw him out anyway.

It remains to be seen if he gets “cancelled” in general.

Subject: Re: Will Smith Quits the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/22 at 8:20 am

So looks like he won't be in I Am Legend 2? So if he gets canceled will that mean they will pull the Fresh Prince series, and all his movies like Independence Day, I-Robot, etc?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/02/22 at 9:47 am

Is he going to have to move to the Island of Outcast Celebrities with Alec Baldwin and O.J. Simpson?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/02/22 at 12:51 pm

So if he gets canceled will that mean they will pull the Fresh Prince series, and all his movies like Independence Day, I-Robot, etc?

That’s usually the setup. Although you do still see Cosby reruns still playing on cable.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/22 at 3:22 pm

In an effort to cheat the hangman, Will quit before they could throw him out.

My opinion, they need to throw him out anyway.

It remains to be seen if he gets “cancelled” in general.

That's sad, I was looking forward to hopefully seeing him the Fresh Prince return.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/02/22 at 3:26 pm

Is he going to have to move to the Island of Outcast Celebrities with Alec Baldwin and O.J. Simpson?

And R. Kelly

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/02/22 at 4:01 pm

And R. Kelly

Don’t forget Yuri Gagarin. He was recently cancelled due to the invasion of the Ukraine. And he’s been dead for 54 years.

Written By: Emman on 04/02/22 at 5:16 pm

If that happens then that just shows how ridiculous our culture really is, he slapped a man on live TV which is bad but he's not a murderer or something, if that's the worst thing Will Smith's done in his life he's a choirboy imo.

The reaction against Will Smith is hysterical, selective uneven outrage, there's US politicians responsible for mass murder, assassinations, invasions, and starvation, usually in poor, brown countries and people don't bat an eye at that crap.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/02/22 at 6:05 pm

If that happens then that just shows how ridiculous our culture really is, he slapped a man on live TV which is bad but he's not a murderer or something, if that's the worst thing Will Smith's done in his life he's a choirboy imo.

The reaction against Will Smith is hysterical, selective uneven outrage, there's US politicians responsible for mass murder, assassinations, invasions, and starvation, usually in poor, brown countries and people don't bat an eye at that crap.

I agree with you about atrocities being committed politically. They must end.

But I think you are making a false equivalency or are comparing apples and oranges.  And you cannot excuse someone for an unacceptable action by simply pointing out that there are bigger unacceptable actions going on. In our day to day life we cannot have people just walking onto stages and slapping people, even if they perceive that they have been slighted or, to use an annoying and currently in vogue term, "disrespected". Just as we cannot have people getting out of a car and slapping another driver for cutting them off. Just as you must not slap someone who cut in line in front of you at Starbucks. Just as you must not start punching someone on a plane if they are wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. If you do these things there must be consequences befitting of the action, to maintain a civilized society. In no way, shape or form do I believe in cancel culture, but Will Smith must not get off scot free for his ill-conceived actions either. He committed assault, pure and simple.

Another question might be, what is causing this breakdown of society? What is causing all this incivility that we now hear about on a daily basis and has now apparently risen to an art form with performers taking it to the stage on glamorous live television? The answers we always hear when this question is posed is "the pandemic" or "Trump has emboldened people to be this way". But I don't think those knee-jerk, default answers are really it.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/22 at 3:13 am

He just slapped him, at least he didn't get into a brawl and have him bleed.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/04/22 at 8:27 am

Another question might be, what is causing this breakdown of society? What is causing all this incivility that we now hear about on a daily basis and has now apparently risen to an art form with performers taking it to the stage on glamorous live television?

Too much Internets, methinks.  :o :o :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/04/22 at 9:00 am

Too much Internets, methinks.  :o :o :o

Yes indeed, social media has a LOT to do with it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/04/22 at 11:14 am

He just slapped him, at least he didn't get into a brawl and have him bleed.

Chris Rock shoulda given Will a good swift kick to the cobblers.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/22 at 3:10 pm

Chris Rock shoulda given Will a good swift kick to the cobblers.

But that would've meant a charge to Chris Rock for assaulting him.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/04/22 at 7:43 pm

But that would've meant a charge to Chris Rock for assaulting him.

Self-defense.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/08/22 at 5:19 am

Apparently the Academy is thinking of imposing sanctions on Will Smith today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/academy-will-smith-meeting-sanctions-resignation-1235126481/

What are they going to do, seize his yacht? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/09/22 at 6:55 am

Will Smith is now banned for 10 years and won't be back until 2032, by the time he comes back who the heck knows what the Academy Awards will look like by that time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/09/22 at 7:13 am

Will Smith is now banned for 10 years and won't be back until 2032, by the time he comes back who the heck knows what the Academy Awards will look like by that time.

I guess that The Willenniem is now officially over. 

Written By: Howard on 04/09/22 at 1:55 pm

I guess that The Willenniem is now officially over.

I guess so.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/11/22 at 11:35 am

Bill Maher was on fire the other night on his show, talking about the woke's war on jokes, and analyzing "the slap". You owe it to yourself to watch this. It's the most accurate and truthful ten minutes you will have heard in ages. And ages and ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-c2eUltH58

Check for new replies or respond here...