inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How was 2022 for you?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/06/22 at 9:17 pm

Just thought I'd start this thread with a poll to see how everyone rates this year. Yeah, there's the genocide in Ukraine (that's what I'm calling now) and the pandemic still around, rising crime rates in the US, the "slap heard around the world", and pop-culture leaving a lot to be desired except for The Batman, some good music and a few other things. How is it going for you overall, not just world events and pop-culture, but in your personal life?

You already know my answer, but before February 24 I would have rated it as ok. I know we just finished the first quarter even though it feels like it's been 2022 for like two years, so with this poll you have the option to change your vote. However this poll will close in 300 days (January 31, 2023).

Subject: Re: How's 2022 going for you?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/22 at 9:35 pm

As a retired person one thing that's really getting to me is high inflation.  My pension income is fixed, after all.  This has been a bad year financially so far for me.  As long as high inflation keeps raging it's going to get worse.

Written By: gotuokere on 04/06/22 at 9:37 pm

I like it. It’s been very peaceful for me in my personal life. Almost done with college too, so that’s fun. I just recently got into collecting vintage and obscure stuff too like T-shirts, video games, diecast model cars, and planning on joining RC car clubs and animation programs and mentorships. Great shows I’ve been getting into as well, like Danger Force, Walk the Prank, Just Add Magic, Fairly Odder, Middlemost Post, etc. I give this year an 8/10 so far.

I like this decade in general too.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 04/06/22 at 9:47 pm

It's ok so far. I'm glad COVID restrictions are pretty much dead.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/22 at 3:33 am

2022 has been pretty much OK so far for me, I'm still at my new job doing well, gas prices are still at a high level, crime is up and COVID unfortunately is still with us.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/22 at 4:41 am

All is going fine for me, and I am still shielding.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/08/22 at 10:19 pm

Can't complain given the situation to be honest.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/22 at 1:36 pm

For me it feels like a "2006 on steroids", another year that seemed to be favored on here but I didn't like for personal reasons. They both have a "everything sucks" type of vibe, at least for me anyways. Since my wife is Ukrainian and all her family and friends are there, it's been much tougher for us than for most people. What's also upsetting in addition to all the graphic images from her home country, it seems like the rest of the world has a "it's not happening in my country so it's not my problem" sort of attitude.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/22 at 1:53 pm

I hope my 2022 continues to go well with having a consistent schedule for the next 9 months at my new job.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/22 at 2:40 pm

I put ok but not great either. The good news so far this year is that my laundry room is looking so much better. (It has only taken me about 3 months to get it looking the way it is-but that is only working on it maybe 15 minutes +/- or so a day.)

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/03/22 at 10:37 am

I thought I enabled the option to change your vote, but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyhow I was thinking of the changing it from 1 to 2 since things have calmed down a bit. Last weekend (Memorial Day weekend) was pretty good with seeing Top Gun on Friday and then traveling up to the Smokies in Tennessee for other the other 3 days. I went for a hike and it was literally a breath of fresh air and a way to get my mind off of things. Anyhow hopefully this past week wasn't a fluke and I have a lot more planned over the summer.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/22 at 2:39 pm

I'd say 2022 is going well, This month I celebrate 1 year at King Kullen and I'm happy for that and plus I can't wait for my vacation coming up soon, I continue to hang out with my older friend on occasions.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/22 at 12:20 am

I just hate how violent this year is. It is so depressing hearing things in the news. It's very sad.

Written By: nally on 06/04/22 at 12:48 am

For me, things are going along just fine. I'm happy I have my job. Yes, there are not-so-pleasant things in the world right now, but we are lucky each day to be alive and have some positivity in our own respective lives.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/22 at 3:22 am

I just hate how violent this year is. It is so depressing hearing things in the news. It's very sad.

3 shootings so far and we're only 6 months into the year. :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/04/22 at 9:08 am

3 shootings so far and we're only 6 months into the year. :(

That's just the high profile mass shootings. There have actually been well over 200 and almost 250, more than the number of days:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/02/mass-shootings-in-2022/

Written By: Howard on 06/04/22 at 2:59 pm

That's just the high profile mass shootings. There have actually been well over 200 and almost 250, more than the number of days:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/02/mass-shootings-in-2022/

This is just crazy and I thought going in The 2020's would be full of change.  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/12/22 at 10:11 am

This is just crazy and I thought going in The 2020's would be full of change.  ::)

It was, just not the good kind.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/22 at 4:01 pm

It was, just not the good kind.

So, you think we will ever see at least some change? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/12/22 at 4:02 pm

So, you think we will ever see at least some change? ???

Do YOU think so?

Written By: Howard on 06/12/22 at 4:16 pm

Do YOU think so?

By the way this year has been going so far, I don't think so.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/13/22 at 1:42 am

Mostly crappy. Inflation's having a serious negative effect on quality of life for lots of people. I work at a gas station & so many people are complaining about it. And people in general just kinda suck

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/22 at 6:02 am

All is going fine for me, and I am still shielding.
Ditto!

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/22 at 7:24 am

Mostly crappy. Inflation's having a serious negative effect on quality of life for lots of people. I work at a gas station & so many people are complaining about it. And people in general just kinda suck

That. For about the past year or so it seems like almost everyone is unhappy and rude, which is why I feel for people who work in the service industry and don't blame them for quitting left and right.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/22 at 3:20 pm

That. For about the past year or so it seems like almost everyone is unhappy and rude, which is why I feel for people who work in the service industry and don't blame them for quitting left and right.

I think these COVID situations has put a damper on people's spirits.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/13/22 at 3:22 pm

I think these COVID situations has put a damper on people's spirits.

Ya think?

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/14/22 at 1:22 am

well I'm still trying my best to be happy and uplifting to all my customers, I only work at a gas station but positivity can spread everywhere!

Written By: Howard on 06/14/22 at 7:06 am

well I'm still trying my best to be happy and uplifting to all my customers, I only work at a gas station but positivity can spread everywhere!

I work at a supermarket and I'm doing my best to be in a positive mood around customers.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/22 at 12:10 am

I work at a supermarket and I'm doing my best to be in a positive mood around customers.

Same, I do my best to stay positive around customers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/22 at 1:52 am

Happy staff, happy customers!

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/17/22 at 2:41 am

It's been a year for the crapper for me. After months of trying to be patient with my boyfriend's depression and growing increasingly distant, he and I finally broke up last week. I saw it coming for a while, but that doesn't make it any less sucky.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/17/22 at 3:39 am

It's definitely not easy, positive people make your day worth something.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/22 at 3:40 am

It's been a year for the crapper for me. After months of trying to be patient with my boyfriend's depression and growing increasingly distant, he and I finally broke up last week. I saw it coming for a while, but that doesn't make it any less sucky.  :\'(

I'm sorry to hear about your break-up. :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/01/22 at 6:34 am

The year is finally halfway over. Normally the years fly by but this year time has been dragging. Maybe because of so much going on. The situation in Ukraine is getting worse again.

Meanwhile we had a bit of a break with our beach vacation (one tank of gas away) and it's been going smoothly for the most part.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/22 at 11:32 am

Meanwhile we had a bit of a break with our beach vacation (one tank of gas away) and it's been going smoothly for the most part.

That's good you went on vacation. Stay positive man!

Written By: Howard on 07/01/22 at 3:06 pm

Not too bad, I celebrated 1 year at King Kullen a week ago and a week after that I found a 100 dollar bill which was legit so now I have to wait 60 days until the bill is mine.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/22 at 5:49 pm

Not too bad, I celebrated 1 year at King Kullen a week ago and a week after that I found a 100 dollar bill which was legit so now I have to wait 60 days until the bill is mine.

Nice deal.  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/01/22 at 7:44 pm

After 8 years of grinding it out on crappy shifts at my job, I finally got a Monday-Friday 9 am city driving shift in January. I was pretty rusty at first but I quickly got into the swing of things and I've been happier than I could have possibly imagined there.

Every 6 months we bid for our jobs (based on seniority) and yesterday was the day for that. I was a little concerned that I might get bumped off my current shift (because that happened so many times before) but I got to stay on it. I feel like I've finally gotten over the hump there and I'm one of the old-timers now. It's kind of awesome.

I also got my third week of vacation this year and I traveled to Mexico back in February. I'm also planning on spending a week in Washington, D.C. in September. So 2022 has been pretty good to me so far.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/01/22 at 7:57 pm

It's halfway over & it's a contender for the worst year of my life so far. All the way up to the end of May I was unemployed & it was nice having nothing but free time, but financially hard to get thru, & I went thru some pretty rough online drama with a couple now ex-friends. But since I got my job at a gas station, it's been good for the most part, & an upgrade from my last job (which really says something about that place), & I have a new motivation to do stuff, so I have hope for the rest of the year!

Written By: Howard on 07/02/22 at 3:28 am

Nice deal.  8)

So far so good, It's hasn't been that bad of a year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 6:25 am

The best way to decide it, is that I am still keeping my distance for the cases for Covid are rising again.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/02/22 at 7:02 am

That's good you went on vacation. Stay positive man!

Yes, thank you!

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/02/22 at 6:52 pm

I just got home safely in one piece (barely, had some close calls while driving). The traffic coming back sucked, but I least we weren't flying somewhere as I've heard horror stories about airlines canceling flights and chaos at the airports for the 4th of July weekend.

Still hoping for a better second half.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 1:03 am

I just got home safely in one piece (barely, had some close calls while driving). The traffic coming back sucked, but I least we weren't flying somewhere as I've heard horror stories about airlines canceling flights and chaos at the airports for the 4th of July weekend.

Still hoping for a better second half.
I can understand, even here, the traffic is always bad at the weekend of a national holiday.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/03/22 at 2:27 am

The traffic actually wasn't as crazy as I was expecting today! But here in my suburb the roads were very festive with people walking, riding bikes, gold carts, etc. They had a firework show which wasn't as good as usual. I suspect inflation put a damper on their arsenal

Written By: Slim95 on 07/11/22 at 5:05 pm

Even though there were bad events in the world in 2022 there were also good ones as well that brought hope like the truck convoys. Music has been good too though I haven't been keeping up with that in the last month or two.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/11/22 at 5:29 pm

Even though there were bad events in the world in 2022 there were also good ones as well that brought hope like the truck convoys. Music has been good too though I haven't been keeping up with that in the last month or two.

You haven't been missing much. It's gone downhill ever since Drake's new album and apparently that's what's charting now. I didn't think the music of 2022 was that great to begin with aside from Harry's House and the Chainsmokers album.

We're always going to have tragic world events, but there's not a lot of positives either this year. Only 3 really good movies and not much for streaming. Obi-Wan Kenobi was good while it lasted but short lived.

My personal life hasn't been that great either other than a weekend up in the Smokies and going to the beach in Florida, and a few weekends out locally. Every time I have a brief good moment then it's like "Oh no! It sucks again!" It's also the year I had COVID. My family in friends in Ukraine have been safe but there's no guarantee what tomorrow will bring. Also work has been sucking again too, just when I was starting to like my job.

Overall this year has 2006 vibes plus a lot more tragic events.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 07/11/22 at 11:09 pm

I think this is the worst year of music so far since 2018

Written By: Howard on 07/12/22 at 3:33 am

It's been OK I can't complain, one of the cart attendants will be leaving soon, he has to take care of his weight and health so he'll be on a weight loss journey for the next few years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/22 at 5:07 am

It's been OK I can't complain, one of the cart attendants will be leaving soon, he has to take care of his weight and health so he'll be on a weight loss journey for the next few years.

I would have thought that wrangling carts would be a good workout.  ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/12/22 at 9:03 am

I think this is the worst year of music so far since 2018

I'd take it a step further and say it's the worst since 2006.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/22 at 2:43 pm

I would have thought that wrangling carts would be a good workout.  ???

Of course it is but for him, he's fat and he wanted to take care of his weight so he's leaving and most likely he won't be back for the next couple of years or so plus his health is another problem too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/22 at 6:40 pm

Of course it is but for him, he's fat and he wanted to take care of his weight so he's leaving and most likely he won't be back for the next couple of years or so plus his health is another problem too.

Two years? Holy cr@p. How much would you guess that he weighs?  ???

Written By: Howard on 07/13/22 at 3:40 am

Two years? Holy cr@p. How much would you guess that he weighs?  ???

I can't say how much he weighs but I'm guessing over 200 pounds and he's been working a bit slower lately too, The manager just recently had hired 2 new guys as cart attendants and I had to train them since there's no one else to do so and that's putting stress on me since I've been there only a year so we'll see what happens in the next couple of months or so.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/13/22 at 3:55 pm

I've been thinking today as I was going around places for work was that what makes this year suck isn't so much the news events (except for the Ukraine invasion), but the overall vibe from people. It seems like just about everyone is angry, unhappy, rude, and also lacking in intelligence (COVID has been known to cause brain damage). The negative vibes are more contagious than COVID itself. Of course it didn't just start in 2022 and in some ways it's been going on before the pandemic, but this year it's the worst I've seen. We've also been dealing with a lot of theft lately due to the economic times.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/22 at 3:28 am

I've been thinking today as I was going around places for work was that what makes this year suck isn't so much the news events (except for the Ukraine invasion), but the overall vibe from people. It seems like just about everyone is angry, unhappy, rude, and also lacking in intelligence (COVID has been known to cause brain damage). The negative vibes are more contagious than COVID itself. Of course it didn't just start in 2022 and in some ways it's been going on before the pandemic, but this year it's the worst I've seen. We've also been dealing with a lot of theft lately due to the economic times.

I was just thinking the same thing too.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/22 at 10:35 pm

2022 has been a great year on the whole for me. I think I started getting some more hope when the trucker protests began in February of this year in my country Canada. Shortly after that, the government loosened some of its restrictions. But even just the fact that a lot of people were waking up was very encouraging and hopeful for me. At the same time, I started a new job I love in January.

Don't get me wrong though, this world is still very messed up and the government is still trying to do everything they can in their power to take our rights and freedoms away. But still, despite that, this year has been great for my personal life and I am very blessed I have a job I like after being let go last year due to refusing to take the vaccine.

Music is still in its early 2020s vibe and it's still good on the whole. Things are messed up in the world with riots, wars, inflation, and everything but it is not bad overall for me.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/22 at 3:37 am

I can't complain, it's going pretty well, So far, I found money and I lasted at King Kullen a year and that's a good start.  :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/28/22 at 9:40 am

2022 has been a great year on the whole for me. I think I started getting some more hope when the trucker protests began in February of this year in my country Canada. Shortly after that, the government loosened some of its restrictions. But even just the fact that a lot of people were waking up was very encouraging and hopeful for me. At the same time, I started a new job I love in January.

Don't get me wrong though, this world is still very messed up and the government is still trying to do everything they can in their power to take our rights and freedoms away. But still, despite that, this year has been great for my personal life and I am very blessed I have a job I like after being let go last year due to refusing to take the vaccine.

Music is still in its early 2020s vibe and it's still good on the whole. Things are messed up in the world with riots, wars, inflation, and everything but it is not bad overall for me.

For me it's been pretty bad overall since February 24, though there were some good moments while my in-laws were visiting from Ukraine with the trips to the beaches, mountains, lake, and places within the city. It's still all round on track to be my worst year since 2014.

Work wise, I'm coming up on my one year anniversary in a few weeks (mid-August) and while it's gotten slightly better since I first started, I won't say I enjoy my job as I still feel burnt out. It's the same job from the other thread that I mentioned when I got COVID and found out there are no sick days and I have to use my few vacation days, and people were suggesting I need to leave that one and find a new job ASAP. It is by definition a toxic work environment. There is too much work to do with only two of us, and the head of the IT department mirco-manages and complains about the work not getting done fast enough or prioritized correctly. Other employees also complain and act entitled when we're backed up and don't drop everything and help them right away. We're also expected to be available 24/7, even while on vacation. Also between the two of us, the other guy is more favored. So if a recession happens and the company needs to let people go, I'll probably be the one that gets cut.

More than world events, things are pretty bad locally where I live. The crime continues to go up while other cities are showing improvement, including NYC and even Chicago. I also don't even like to leave my house anymore as every time I go out I ended up feeling stressed and frustrated (I feel like I'm back in California where I used to live). It's one reason why I miss 2020 and early 2021 when there were less people everywhere.

Pop-culture wise, it's also pretty bland with the exception of a handful of songs, a few good movies (The Batman, Top Gun: Maverick, and even Jurassic World Dominion which was panned by critics), and a few streaming series (Bel-Air, Tokyo Vice, and Obi-Wan Kenobi). At least later in the year there's the Black Panther and Avatar sequels to look forward to, and the World Cup (during Thanksgiving week in the US).

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/22 at 10:36 pm

For me it's been pretty bad overall since February 24, though there were some good moments while my in-laws were visiting from Ukraine with the trips to the beaches, mountains, lake, and places within the city. It's still all round on track to be my worst year since 2014.

Work wise, I'm coming up on my one year anniversary in a few weeks (mid-August) and while it's gotten slightly better since I first started, I won't say I enjoy my job as I still feel burnt out. It's the same job from the other thread that I mentioned when I got COVID and found out there are no sick days and I have to use my few vacation days, and people were suggesting I need to leave that one and find a new job ASAP. It is by definition a toxic work environment. There is too much work to do with only two of us, and the head of the IT department mirco-manages and complains about the work not getting done fast enough or prioritized correctly. Other employees also complain and act entitled when we're backed up and don't drop everything and help them right away. We're also expected to be available 24/7, even while on vacation. Also between the two of us, the other guy is more favored. So if a recession happens and the company needs to let people go, I'll probably be the one that gets cut.

More than world events, things are pretty bad locally where I live. The crime continues to go up while other cities are showing improvement, including NYC and even Chicago. I also don't even like to leave my house anymore as every time I go out I ended up feeling stressed and frustrated (I feel like I'm back in California where I used to live). It's one reason why I miss 2020 and early 2021 when there were less people everywhere.

Pop-culture wise, it's also pretty bland with the exception of a handful of songs, a few good movies (The Batman, Top Gun: Maverick, and even Jurassic World Dominion which was panned by critics), and a few streaming series (Bel-Air, Tokyo Vice, and Obi-Wan Kenobi). At least later in the year there's the Black Panther and Avatar sequels to look forward to, and the World Cup (during Thanksgiving week in the US).

I'm so sorry about that man. I will pray for you. 🙏

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/22 at 10:37 pm

I can't complain, it's going pretty well, So far, I found money and I lasted at King Kullen a year and that's a good start.  :)

That's good Howard, I am glad to hear things are going well for you.

Written By: nally on 07/29/22 at 11:35 pm

I agree; that's a good thing. If you have a job that you are comfortable with, and you enjoy it, that's a plus. I've been at my current place of employment for 6 1/2 years and I like it very much. When I started out, in 2016, I was part time for two days a week, with a small number of duties. In the years since, my workload has expanded, I've taken on new duties, and I've gotten additional hours. And last year I was made full time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/30/22 at 6:17 am

I'm so sorry about that man. I will pray for you. 🙏

Thank you, and please pray for my family back in Ukraine for their safety.

I agree; that's a good thing. If you have a job that you are comfortable with, and you enjoy it, that's a plus. I've been at my current place of employment for 6 1/2 years and I like it very much. When I started out, in 2016, I was part time for two days a week, with a small number of duties. In the years since, my workload has expanded, I've taken on new duties, and I've gotten additional hours. And last year I was made full time.

Yes, that certain is a good thing and help improve your quality of life. There are certain aspects of my job that I enjoy and I tend to stick to that, but there are many that drive down my motivation and work ethic.

My previous job from 2018 to 2021 wasn't great either, it was also a very toxic environment. In fact, I have an idea for a sitcom based on my experiences there and the people, lol.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/22 at 6:58 am

But I'm feeling a bit stressed at work but I'm trying my best to do what I can to stay calm.

Written By: nally on 07/30/22 at 11:20 am

But I'm feeling a bit stressed at work but I'm trying my best to do what I can to stay calm.

Every job will have its share of stress. It’s a part of life. Staying calm does help a great deal.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 08/03/22 at 8:28 pm

My previous job from 2018 to 2021 wasn't great either, it was also a very toxic environment. In fact, I have an idea for a sitcom based on my experiences there and the people, lol.

I think any work place could be turned into a reality TV show

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/10/22 at 2:58 pm

Every job will have its share of stress. It’s a part of life. Staying calm does help a great deal.

Some days are worse than others and today was a bad one. It was pretty much one thing after another from when I first walked in. The weird thing is it would be very quiet some days with almost nothing to do, but when it rains it pours.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/22 at 2:59 pm

I think any work place could be turned into a reality TV show

You got that right.  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/22 at 9:16 am

I can't believe this year is not even two-thirds of the way over. Most of the recent years have been flying by but this year feels like it's dragging for some reason.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/27/22 at 1:03 pm

I can't believe this year is not even two-thirds of the way over. Most of the recent years have been flying by but this year feels like it's dragging for some reason.

That's one of those subjective things. It flew by for me. Especially now, seeing all the Halloween stuff in the stores. (I already bought a Halloween candle the supermarket had out because I liked the scent.) Stores start putting out Halloween stuff come August. In September, EARLY September, you'll start seeing Christmas commercials and Christmas merchandise, mark my words. And I don't want to hear utterances of surprise from people, it's been this way for YEARS now.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/22 at 1:30 pm

I wonder what's the reason for it dragging on?

Written By: Howard on 08/27/22 at 1:32 pm

That's one of those subjective things. It flew by for me. Especially now, seeing all the Halloween stuff in the stores. (I already bought a Halloween candle the supermarket had out because I liked the scent.) Stores start putting out Halloween stuff come August. In September, EARLY September, you'll start seeing Christmas commercials and Christmas merchandise, mark my words. And I don't want to hear utterances of surprise from people, it's been this way for YEARS now.

Lately in King Kullen I've seen Halloween items, pumpkin spice items, school items and I think I've seen stuff for Winter which is maybe 3 or 4 months away.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/22 at 2:02 pm

I was in Target this morning and saw some Halloween decorations out. Also having unusually cool weather in the middle of August made it feel like it was already September or October (can't complain about that though, especially with a heat wave in other places).

I wonder what's the reason for it dragging on?

Probably because I'm counting the days until the year is over (126 now).

Written By: nally on 08/27/22 at 2:10 pm

...(I already bought a Halloween candle the supermarket had out because I liked the scent.) Stores start putting out Halloween stuff come August. In September, EARLY September, you'll start seeing Christmas commercials and Christmas merchandise, mark my words. And I don't want to hear utterances of surprise from people, it's been this way for YEARS now.

I was in Target this morning and saw some Halloween decorations out. Also having unusually cool weather in the middle of August made it feel like it was already September or October (can't complain about that though, especially with a heat wave in other places).

Yeah...and what's next? Valentines Day stuff coming out before Christmas? ::)

Yup, New Years Eve is exactly that many days after today. It'll be here before ya know it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/22 at 2:14 pm

Yup, New Years Eve is exactly that many days after today. It'll be here before ya know it.

Couldn't come fast enough, lol. I should already start getting the champagne ready. It's saying something to look back at 2020 and 2021 as "better years".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/27/22 at 2:35 pm

Yeah...and what's next? Valentines Day stuff coming out before Christmas? ::)

That's also been happening for years now. Haven't you noticed? Well, watch this year and you will see. About two weeks before Christmas, all the holiday stuff in stores starts to get strategically withdrawn and the Valentine's Day stuff is put out. The Christmas items are relegated to a flung together "50% off" table. The first time I saw this I was aghast,  but, like I said, that was quite a few years ago. When I was young, we barely did any Christmas related things, including shopping, until about two weeks before. Now you can't find anything left in the two weeks leading up to Christmas. So one is forced to do everything as early as possible. So the fact that they force Christmas on us so early and then take it away before it actually arrives, makes the day itself seem almost anticlimactic. Another way to look at it is it's really all ONE continuous season now. Halloween/Thanksgiving (which gets lost in this merchant shuffle altogether)/Christmas/New Year's and YES, Valentine's Day. All one big thing. SOMEBODY is making a ton of money from this perverse way of doing things, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Another indicator that it's "all one season" now, is that just about now the Hallmark Channel starts running commercials for it's holiday movies featuring Jack o Lanterns with Santa Claus hats on them. They want you to get the message.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/22 at 3:32 am

These past 2 years have went pretty fast.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/22 at 3:36 am

OK, not bad but not great either

... and every year now goes too quickly for me.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 11:56 am

It's a year of breakthroughs for me. But not the best year either. It's better than 2021 though.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/22 at 12:32 pm

It's a year of breakthroughs for me. But not the best year either. It's better than 2021 though.

Breakthroughs are good. We seldom hear that here, among the "every year sucks, can't wait for this year to end, even though next year will suck too" crowd. Like The Doors sang "break on through to the other side!". O0

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/22 at 2:11 pm

I liked the first half of 2021, but the second half was when things got rough with my new job. At least that's one area of my life that's actually improved since then as I've adapted and learned a lot. I've also been getting a lot accomplished, and even done some travel for my work.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 4:34 pm

I liked the first half of 2021, but the second half was when things got rough with my new job. At least that's one area of my life that's actually improved since then as I've adapted and learned a lot. I've also been getting a lot accomplished, and even done some travel for my work.

My parents passed away in late 2021. I loved them but they were stubborn folk. You had to kinda woo the out of their funks a lot.  :D  :D  :D
They were loved, but 'easy going' isn't a word that I would use to describe them.

The good: I got a part time job.  ;D

Also, travel for your work? That sounds fun like my kind of life.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 4:35 pm

Breakthroughs are good. We seldom hear that here, among the "every year sucks, can't wait for this year to end, even though next year will suck too" crowd. Like The Doors sang "break on through to the other side!". O0

Millennials and Gen Z calm down!  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/22 at 4:47 pm

My parents passed away in late 2021. I loved them but they were stubborn folk. You had to kinda woo the out of their funks a lot.  :D  :D  :D
They were loved, but 'easy going' isn't a word that I would use to describe them.

The good: I got a part time job.  ;D

Also, travel for your work? That sounds fun like my kind of life.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. That would make a year bad even if others' experiences differ.

I did enjoy my recent travel to Kansas. There was a sense of peace driving through the all the fields and farmland.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 08/31/22 at 10:13 pm

Well I'm sorry to hear that. That would make a year bad even if others' experiences differ.

I did enjoy my recent travel to Kansas. There was a sense of peace driving through the all the fields and farmland.

I love long drives... they're peaceful and there's a sense of adventure

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/07/22 at 10:00 am

Yes, and I'll associate the memory of listening to Beyonce's album with it.

Since we still have 4 more months left in the year it's too early to talk about the second half of the year, but now that the summer season is over as the Labor Day Weekend is the de facto end of summer, I can say looking back that the summer months (from May to now) have been an improvement from the first few months (especially from the emotional wreck of late February and it's been one thing after another after that).

Pop-culture wise however it seemed to fall off the cliff. There's a lot less good music to listen to (other than Beyonce and a few others). Movie wise there hasn't been anything since Top Gun: Maverick. Jurassic World Dominion was ok, but nothing great. For TV/Streaming there hasn't been much either. I have been watching She-Hulk but really just to pass the time. At least there's new seasons to look forward to like Cobra Kai, Big Sky, Handmaid's Tale, and Young Sheldon.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/22 at 10:56 pm

The second half of 2022 is a lot suckier than the first half.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/22 at 3:20 am

2022 wasn't too bad for me, I just hated the very hot summer and now looking forward to the Fall weather.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/02/22 at 11:58 am

I just got back from another work trip, this time to Utah and I enjoyed the scenery and even got to spend one afternoon at Zion NP since I finished work early that day while I was in the area. Also the drive from SLC to St. George was peaceful and very scenic. Only I don't have any good new music to listen to like I did during the KC and Kansas trip back in August. I did listed to those same albums again but they are starting to get old. Work-wise during the trip however had its share of challenges and setbacks. I also haven't been sleeping well since the trip.

The second half of 2022 is a lot suckier than the first half.

Good thing I didn't speak too soon about the second half. It did seem better/calmer for a few months during the summer but then things started getting chaotic again. The situation in Ukraine was getting better as the Ukraine defense has been winning, but now every morning when I wake up I have to wonder if Ukraine still exists as a country and if my wife's family and friends there are still ok. Meanwhile in the US it seemed like inflation was leveling off, the recession has been averted, and gas prices have come back down but looks like that's all reversing. I've also been getting news about some health issues in my family (nothing serious/critical but still concerning). Also as I mentioned above, there's like no good music to listen now. I don't really keep up with the charts but there haven't been any additions to the 2022: The Year in Music thread which was where I was getting a lot of songs to add to my playlist.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 10/12/22 at 7:21 pm

I got fired for no reason, now I'm broke & feel like a failure. There's very little interesting going on culture wise. This year sucks

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/12/22 at 7:34 pm

I got fired for no reason, now I'm broke & feel like a failure. There's very little interesting going on culture wise. This year sucks

I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm sure it's not your fault, maybe the company has to cut back due to the upcoming recession. Anyhow I hope and pray you'll find a new and better job soon.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/12/22 at 7:38 pm

No, no, no! You are not a failure. Remember "you are not your job". You are not your bank account either. This can be an important  growing period for you.These "wilderness" periods often are. This change is good. Take advantage of it and don't wallow.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/22 at 2:55 am

You are not a failure, just keep your chin up and stay positive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/22 at 10:54 am

Sorry to hear this, was you fired, or was it you were laid off or made redundant? If, redundant, can you claim anything on this?

Written By: JacobThePlante on 10/13/22 at 2:07 pm

Sorry to hear this, was you fired, or was it you were laid off or made redundant? If, redundant, can you claim anything on this?

Fired, just for calling in 2 times over 4 months. I can't get unemployment. I tried

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/22 at 2:15 pm

Fired, just for calling in 2 times over 4 months. I can't get unemployment. I tried
Sorry once again. It is just the same over in the UK, no benefits.

With the Christmas season upon us, not doubt there is chance of seasonal employment to tie you over?

Written By: Howard on 10/13/22 at 3:39 pm

Sorry you got fired, hope you can get a new job and start over again.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/01/22 at 8:20 am

It's going a lot worse for my wife than for me. First of all she's Ukrainian, so that says it all. Also she's been unemployed as of Friday. It was a toxic and hostile work environment anyway, and last week when she put in her proper 2 weeks notice her boss (who has been harassing and bullying her since Day 1) was happy and told her he was going to let her go anyways, and didn't even want her to work 2 more weeks and make Friday the last day. When she first started that job in July, we were excited and thinking finally something good has come around for us. She was told that she was going to be working with a Ukrainian team. Turned out they were Belarussian, that manager didn't know the difference.

My work has gotten a lot better at least, especially after my one year anniversary with the company in August. I just have some projects I need to work on before the holiday season rush.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/06/22 at 3:24 pm

One good thing to note, this fall the leaves were a lot more colorful compared to other recent years here in Georgia.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/06/22 at 3:41 pm

Have you ever considered trying to get a CDL? There is a big demand for truck drivers right now. Granted, it has a rather steep learning curve and a lot of the entry-level trucking jobs are really sucky (and it's not a 420-friendly industry if that's your thing), but if you go that route and get a year or two of experience you can make a good living at it.

It's going a lot worse for my wife than for me. First of all she's Ukrainian, so that says it all. Also she's been unemployed as of Friday. It was a toxic and hostile work environment anyway, and last week when she put in her proper 2 weeks notice her boss (who has been harassing and bullying her since Day 1) was happy and told her he was going to let her go anyways, and didn't even want her to work 2 more weeks and make Friday the last day. When she first started that job in July, we were excited and thinking finally something good has come around for us. She was told that she was going to be working with a Ukrainian team. Turned out they were Belarussian, that manager didn't know the difference.

If your wife was working in a hostile environment and being harassed, then is it possible that you can take any kind of legal action against her former employer?

Written By: Fink on 11/06/22 at 9:51 pm

It's been pretty ok, just got a new car (2012 GMC Acadia) and moved out of my father's house all within the past few months.

Written By: Ripley on 11/07/22 at 3:55 pm

It's been pretty ok, just got a new car (2012 GMC Acadia) and moved out of my father's house all within the past few months.

Congrats on the new car. And welcome to the board!

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/10/22 at 3:10 pm

If your wife was working in a hostile environment and being harassed, then is it possible that you can take any kind of legal action against her former employer?

I suggested it to her, at least talk to the company's HR but she didn't want to bother with it. She feels that the employer has been with the company for 10 years and has lots of pull. She just wants to leave that experience in the past and forget about it.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/22 at 3:44 pm

How's it like being on your own?

Written By: Fink on 11/10/22 at 4:10 pm

How's it like being on your own?
It feels like I have more freedom, obviously I have more expenses but the move was worth it overall.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/22 at 3:02 am

It feels like I have more freedom, obviously I have more expenses but the move was worth it overall.

Unfortunately for me, I still live with My Parents & been living with them for all my life.

Written By: Fink on 11/11/22 at 4:08 am

Unfortunately for me, I still live with My Parents & been living with them for all my life.

haha, no worries. My late uncle and aunt lived with my grandma to take care of her prior to her passing in July.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/22 at 3:39 pm

haha, no worries. My late uncle and aunt lived with my grandma to take care of her prior to her passing in July.

Sorry for your loss, What kind of house do you have?

Written By: Fink on 11/11/22 at 5:52 pm

Sorry for your loss, What kind of house do you have?

I'm actually renting an apartment with my brother, a house is not a commitment I want to make at this point in my life and I don't need much space either.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/11/22 at 5:59 pm

I think the year is generally bad, but it's probably the best year of my 20s so far. Hardly anything beats getting tattooed for the first time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 7:47 am

I think the year is generally bad, but it's probably the best year of my 20s so far. Hardly anything beats getting tattooed for the first time.

The best year of my 20's was 2005. I was 26. That's one year I could relive from start to finish, though I would do some things differently. I didn't get any tattoos and still don't to this day.

This is the year I'm really feeling my age catch up to me as I transition from my early 40's to mid. I've been having frequent back pains and don't have the energy like I used to, nor the alcohol tolerance.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/16/22 at 8:01 am

The best year of my 20's was 2005. I was 26. That's one year I could relive from start to finish, though I would do some things differently. I didn't get any tattoos and still don't to this day.

This is the year I'm really feeling my age catch up to me as I transition from my early 40's to mid. I've been having frequent back pains and don't have the energy like I used to, nor the alcohol tolerance.

I've resolved years ago to live a teetotal life until I'm at least 25, because I want my prefrontal cortex to develop optimally.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 8:06 am

I've resolved years ago to live a teetotal life until I'm at least 25, because I want my prefrontal cortex to develop optimally.

I had to look up what teetotal meant, AND prefrontal cortex. That's good! It's healthier. I'm thinking of giving up alcohol for Lent next year, like I did in 2020 (yes, I managed to not break it despite the circumstances of that time).

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 11/16/22 at 8:11 am

I had to look up what teetotal meant, AND prefrontal cortex. That's good! It's healthier. I'm thinking of giving up alcohol for Lent next year, like I did in 2020 (yes, I managed to not break it despite the circumstances of that time).

Well, I forgot to say that at the moment, I take meds for OCD, so if that counts, that would be the one thing that isn't teetotal regarding my ingestion of different substances. But also I'm just beginning to try and get off my meds because the side effects of hunger after taking it can be rather severe.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/25/22 at 10:52 am

Well, I forgot to say that at the moment, I take meds for OCD, so if that counts, that would be the one thing that isn't teetotal regarding my ingestion of different substances. But also I'm just beginning to try and get off my meds because the side effects of hunger after taking it can be rather severe.

Teetotal sounds like a good idea right about now, or at least abstinence from alcohol. The other night (the night before Thanksgiving) I woke up on the living room floor and not knowing how I got there. Luckily I had my wife to care for me and almost had to get me rushed to the ER. I think I should stick to CBD products, as they are legal where I live (not like Russia where you can get 9 years in prison/penal colony).

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/21/22 at 1:37 pm

2022 wasn't too bad for me, I just hated the very hot summer and now looking forward to the Fall weather.

Now it looks like it's about to be a very cold winter, at least around the Christmas weekend. They are calling it "the coldest winter storm in a generation".

Written By: Howard on 12/21/22 at 3:38 pm

Now it looks like it's about to be a very cold winter, at least around the Christmas weekend. They are calling it "the coldest winter storm in a generation".

This cold spell will only last about 2 days till it starts to get back to normal by next week.

Written By: nally on 12/25/22 at 11:04 pm

... and every year now goes too quickly for me.

That seems to happen with me too. Just my perception.

Written By: nally on 12/25/22 at 11:07 pm

I still live with mine too (for my whole life) although when they go away for a several days I can handle taking care of the house on my own.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/22 at 3:11 am

I still live with mine too (for my whole life) although when they go away for a several days I can handle taking care of the house on my own.

A long time ago, when they went on cruises, they left me alone for a week and I was able to maintain the house by myself.

Written By: nally on 12/26/22 at 11:01 am

A long time ago, when they went on cruises, they left me alone for a week and I was able to maintain the house by myself.

That’s good. O0

Similarly, when mine went on their first cruise in 2007, I did a fine job taking care of our house. (We also had a little dog, so I couldn’t be out of the house too long. But I was also still going to school at Cal State Northridge.)

Written By: Howard on 12/26/22 at 2:10 pm

That’s good. O0

Similarly, when mine went on their first cruise in 2007, I did a fine job taking care of our house. (We also had a little dog, so I couldn’t be out of the house too long. But I was also still going to school at Cal State Northridge.)

I took care of the sweeping, mopping the floor, checking their e-mails, bringing in their regular mail so on and so forth.

Written By: nally on 12/26/22 at 5:45 pm

I took care of the sweeping, mopping the floor, checking their e-mails, bringing in their regular mail so on and so forth.

Sometimes I would need to pay bills for them, too.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/22 at 3:14 am

Sometimes I would need to pay bills for them, too.

I would also do the same thing too, pay their bills when they're not at home.

Subject: Re: How's 2022 going for you? (2 more days, still too many)

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/29/22 at 11:47 pm

Last few days and it's like how much else could go wrong? Work is really sucking again. It's past midnight and I have to work, and I got in some trouble for not answering calls at 5 am last night. I think it might be time for a new job in the new year.

Written By: nally on 12/29/22 at 11:52 pm

I would also do the same thing too, pay their bills when they're not at home.

Yep, doing that on a weekly basis is very essential. In recent years, I've taken the initiative to pay them too (especially now that I'm working full time and earning lots of money).

Written By: Howard on 12/30/22 at 3:02 am

I'm starting to do more things with my friend like going out more often and exploring places to see and eat, I've got to break out of my shell.

Written By: Elor on 12/30/22 at 4:32 am

Last few days and it's like how much else could go wrong? Work is really sucking again. It's past midnight and I have to work, and I got in some trouble for not answering calls at 5 am last night. I think it might be time for a new job in the new year.
If you can choose your job go and look for something else. That stuff would be illegal here. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 12/30/22 at 2:12 pm

At work, things are going well, it's really nice to have some help with the difficult tasks and having my new co-worker, he's just fun to be around and plus he's easy to get along with.  :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/30/22 at 2:33 pm

If you can choose your job go and look for something else. That stuff would be illegal here. 8-P

It's the nature of being in IT and just happened to have two unrelated serious issues/outages two nights in a row.

Written By: nally on 12/30/22 at 7:18 pm

I'm starting to do more things with my friend like going out more often and exploring places to see and eat, I've got to break out of my shell.

O0

I have gradually been getting out more as well.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/22 at 2:58 am

O0

I have gradually been getting out more as well.

I'd like to do more things with my friend in 2023.

Subject: Re: How's 2022 going for you? (Last Day!)

Written By: nally on 01/01/23 at 12:34 am

I'd like to do more things with my friend in 2023.

I would also like to get out more in 2023. O0

Subject: Re: How's 2022 going for you? (Last Day!)

Written By: Howard on 01/01/23 at 3:14 am

I would also like to get out more in 2023. O0

I would also like to see my other friends that I haven't seen in quite a while.

Subject: Re: How was 2022 for you? (Happy 2023!)

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/23 at 8:17 am

Finally! The year I thought would never end is finally over and behind us, and is all but a bad memory for me. I hope everyone has a safe, peaceful, and happier new year in 2023. Just a reminder that you have until the end of this month (Jan 31st) to lock in your votes. My vote still stands. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 2. It's an easy contender for one of the worst years of my life. Only the summer months were pretty decent overall as I took some vacations to the beaches and spent time with the in-laws from Ukraine, and did some traveling for work and got many things accomplished, plus reseeded the lawn. But most of 22H1 (especially February 24 until May), plus Q4 were terrible. In addition to world events and my personal life, the pop-culture was pretty lame as well.

Written By: nally on 01/01/23 at 11:20 am

I would also like to see my other friends that I haven't seen in quite a while.

So would I. I have plenty of friends I haven’t seen in-person in ages (but am well in touch with on Facebook).

Written By: Howard on 01/01/23 at 4:07 pm

So would I. I have plenty of friends I haven’t seen in-person in ages (but am well in touch with on Facebook).

I have 2 good friends one I've known for 30 years and the other 20 years.

Written By: nally on 01/01/23 at 4:51 pm

I have 2 good friends one I've known for 30 years and the other 20 years.

That's certainly a long good span of time to know someone. O0 There are people (unrelated to me) that I've known for at least that long.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/03/23 at 1:24 am

2022 was one of the most stressful years ever. I gave it a 1. I’m so glad 2023 is here. I’m ready to move on to positive things.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/23 at 6:45 am

2022 was a very happy year for me, watching my granddaughter starting to show signs of reasoning, etc.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/23 at 6:57 am

2022 was one of the most stressful years ever. I gave it a 1. I’m so glad 2023 is here. I’m ready to move on to positive things.

I'm ready myself for a more positive change in 2023. :)

Written By: Girli on 01/08/23 at 10:28 pm

I'm ready myself for a more positive change in 2023. :)

Like wise, year after year  I say will do things and never do them but this year things will change I mean 23 IS my lucky number

Written By: nally on 01/08/23 at 10:32 pm

Like wise, year after year  I say will do things and never do them but this year things will change I mean 23 IS my lucky number

Hopefully you can commit to doing said things. I like to be able to do so. Focus on what you intend to do, and commit. O0

Written By: Howard on 01/09/23 at 3:13 am

I would like to hang out with my friends more often and go out to places I haven't been before, I rarely get to see my other buddies.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 01/23/23 at 7:41 pm

Some good came out of it, but overall it SUCKED. Worse year of my life so far. This year's even worse so far, but I'm trying to stay positive

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/24/23 at 2:28 pm

Some good came out of it, but overall it SUCKED. Worse year of my life so far. This year's even worse so far, but I'm trying to stay positive

This year has been continuing the chaos of last year, and maybe increasing a bit as far as US and world events, but at least in my personal life things have calmed down a bit (knocking on wood) and about a month into not too many things have gone wrong. I'm trying to stay positive as well. At least the pop-culture seems to be better with interesting shows to watch like The Last of Us and That 90's Show.

Check for new replies or respond here...