inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NETFLIX is declining !!! Expects to lose 2 million subs

Written By: Starro23 on 04/19/22 at 7:24 pm

www.cnn.com/2022/04/19/media/netflix-earnings/index.html

After shares tanked earlier this year because of concerns over its subscriber growth, the streaming leader said that it lost subscribers when it reported first quarter earnings on Tuesday.

Netflix (NFLX) now has 221.6 million subscribers globally. It lost 200,000 subscribers in the first quarter of 2022, the company reported on Tuesday. The service was expected to add 2.5 million subscribers, and it said it expects to lose another 2 million subscribers in the second quarter of 2022.

The report sent the stock down as much as 25% in after-hours trading.

Netflix's fourth quarter profit was $1.5 billion, down from $1.7 billion in the year-earlier quarter. Revenue jumped 9.8%, to $7.8 billion.

It cannot be overstated just how bad of a report this is for the king of streaming right now. The company's stock has fallen more than 40% year to date, and coming into the earnings there was a lot of concern from investors regarding its growth -- concerns that were realized Tuesday with Netflix missing not only the low bar of its own expectations but losing thousands of subscriptions to boot — something that hasn't happened at the company in more than a decade.

Subject: Re: NETFLIX is declining !!! Expects to lose 2 million subs

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/22 at 12:40 am

The rising cost of living in Britain has led to households cancelling their streaming subscriptions, new research suggests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61139483

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/20/22 at 5:10 am

I’ve never signed up for Netflix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/22 at 12:16 pm

In the next few the same will happen to Disney+.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/22 at 2:43 pm

I’ve never signed up for Netflix.

Why is that?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/22 at 10:01 pm

There appears to be a theory that Netflix is tanking because people are tiring of the woke ideology being peddled on much of the programming there. Elon Musk, who seems to be shaking things up everywhere lately, Twittered this:

The woke mind virus is making Netflix unwatchable

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 20, 2022

I myself have Netflix, but I find I seldom watch it, save for nature documentaries, usually by the great Sir David Attenborough, and the occasional music documentary.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/22 at 3:47 am

There appears to be a theory that Netflix is tanking because people are tiring of the woke ideology being peddled on much of the programming there. Elon Musk, who seems to be shaking things up everywhere lately, Twittered this:

I myself have Netflix, but I find I seldom watch it, save for nature documentaries, usually by the great Sir David Attenborough, and the occasional music documentary.

I also have Netflix but I will go to Netflix when there's something interesting that I want to watch.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/22 at 5:13 am

Why is that?

I’m too cheap. I figure so long as I can pick up free TV over the airwaves, why pay for it?

Written By: Howard on 04/21/22 at 2:32 pm

I’m too cheap. I figure so long as I can pick up free TV over the airwaves, why pay for it?

Let me ask you, how are you getting this "Free TV"?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/21/22 at 2:37 pm

Network TV has ALWAYS been free, Howard.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/22 at 5:59 pm

Now I hear that Netflix may start running commercials on their platform. I guess they are not losing subscribers fast enough.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/22 at 5:59 pm

TV antenna.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/21/22 at 7:51 pm

Ooh...have you seen the series about Formula One racing??? It's actually pretty awesome.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/22 at 8:10 pm

This may mark the start of the mid 2020s.

Check for new replies or respond here...