inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The End of Covid?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/22 at 9:44 pm

Mask rules are being lifted all over the place. Is Covid yesterday’s socks? ???

Subject: Re: The End of Covid?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/27/22 at 10:03 pm

Apparently Dr. Fauci officially declared the end of COVID as a pandemic. It has now transitioned into the endemic phase.

Written By: nally on 04/27/22 at 10:56 pm

I have my doubts, personally.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/22 at 3:29 am

Maybe not quite yet but I hear every day that the masks mandates are being lifted so you can wear them if you want to.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/28/22 at 9:43 am

Since death and serious illness can now be prevented it's no longer an emergency, more like the flue

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/22 at 10:41 am

It was the World Health Organisation that declared this to be a pandemic, and with fatalities, cases and people still in hospital, Covid is still with us. In my opinion, it will WHO to declare fit to be over.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/28/22 at 10:47 am

It was the World Health Organisation that declared this to be a pandemic, and with fatalities, cases and people still in hospital, Covid is still with us. In my opinion, it will WHO to declare fit to be over.

I'm not sure we need the WHO to tell us when there is or isn't a pandemic. Remember Dylan, "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows". I don't think we're done with the virus though. History has shown that plagues don't end so easy. And sometimes they come roaring back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/22 at 11:06 am

Simply putting it, Covid, with it's many variants is still with us.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/22 at 2:39 pm

When that happens we can start putting away the masks and save them for when someone has a cold or when there's an emergency.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/22 at 2:41 pm

I'm not sure we need the WHO to tell us when there is or isn't a pandemic. Remember Dylan, "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows". I don't think we're done with the virus though. History has shown that plagues don't end so easy. And sometimes they come roaring back.

And don't forget the numbers from the pandemic too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/22 at 2:56 pm

When that happens we can start putting away the masks and save them for when someone has a cold or when there's an emergency.
Due to myself, during the lockdowns, I was shielding as being vulnerable, I will still be wearing my mask in shops, department stores and closed in spaces. You do not know what condition the person next to you is in, hence social distancing.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/22 at 3:11 pm

Due to myself, during the lockdowns, I was shielding as being vulnerable, I will still be wearing my mask in shops, department stores and closed in spaces. You do not know what condition the person next to you is in, hence social distancing.

I can definitely agree on that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 8:04 am

Not in Far East!

For more than a million Covid cases feared in North Korea

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 8:20 am

Not in Far East!

Also South Korea and Japan (and I believe China) has had their worst outbreaks as far as case numbers in 2022.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 8:29 am

Also South Korea and Japan (and I believe China) has had their worst outbreaks as far as case numbers in 2022.
Here in the UK, the fatalities and cases seem to be going down, but the figures are not so easy to come by now, only average figures are available and are not updated regularly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 11:10 am

Shanghai has announced its city-wide lockdowns will be gradually lifted from 1 June, after 15 out of 16 districts achieving "social dynamic Zero-Covid cases".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-61023811

Written By: Howard on 05/16/22 at 2:59 pm

Not in Far East!

COVID is not going anywhere.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 3:02 pm

COVID is not going anywhere.
Covid is spreading again.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 3:17 pm

Covid is spreading again.

I saw somewhere that the US is in a 5th wave now. It's not talked about as much since it's less life-threatening, especially for the vaccinated.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/22 at 3:18 pm

I saw somewhere that the US is in a 5th wave now. It's not talked about as much since it's less life-threatening, especially for the vaccinated.

How many waves are there in total? Can there be a 6th wave?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 3:19 pm

True, the strains are less harmful now, similar to catching a bad flu, but the virus is still out there.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 3:21 pm

True, the strains are less harmful now, similar to catching a bad flu, but the virus is still out there.

I just had it last month and it just felt like a bad cold. It wasn't fun though. It took over a week to shake it off and I had to avoid spreading it to my wife.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 3:24 pm

I just had it last month and it just felt like a bad cold. It wasn't fun though. It took over a week to shake it off and I had to avoid spreading it to my wife.
I trust you are much, much better now.

That is how it is here, and personally speaking I do not wish to catch any form of the virus due to myself being vulnerable.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 3:26 pm

How many waves are there in total? Can there be a 6th wave?
If by waves, you mean variations, last year around this time there were over 57,000 different strains, who knows how many now?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 3:26 pm

I trust you are much, much better now.

That is how it is here, and personally speaking I do not wish to catch any form of the virus due to myself being vulnerable.

Yes I am except for some possible long term effects. I don't ever remember my allergies being so bad, but could be unrelated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 3:28 pm

Yes I am except for some possible long term effects. I don't ever remember my allergies being so bad, but could be unrelated.
The symptoms for Long Covid seem to vary from person to person, and I feel you can only do but rest.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/16/22 at 3:30 pm

If by waves, you mean variations, last year around this time there were over 57,000 different strains, who knows how many now?

More by surges in case numbers, followed by hospitalizations and deaths. In the US we had the original wave in Spring/Summer 2020, 2nd was the holiday season of late 2020/early 2021, 3rd was Delta in summer 2021, then 4th was Omicron during the holiday season of late 2021/early 2022.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/22 at 3:35 pm

More by surges in case numbers, followed by hospitalizations and deaths. In the US we had the original wave in Spring/Summer 2020, 2nd was the holiday season of late 2020/early 2021, 3rd was Delta in summer 2021, then 4th was Omicron during the holiday season of late 2021/early 2022.
Very similar to the UK. Cases and fatalities are falling in number, who knows what can be around the corner. I think that the Spanish Flu that started 1918 lasted for around two years, could that be a good sign for today?

Written By: Howard on 05/17/22 at 3:27 am

Did you get your smell back?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/22 at 6:25 am

A friend of mine was just the same as you last month, now he is out and about, and I hope to be meeting him over the weekend.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/17/22 at 7:16 am

Never actually lost it. I think that's only the original variant. Then again my sense of smell was always weak because of my sinuses/allergies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/22 at 7:25 am

Never actually lost it. I think that's only the original variant. Then again my sense of smell was always weak because of my sinuses/allergies.
Putting things into perspective, in December 2019, before the start of the pandemic, I mysteriously came down with flu and it felt a different kind of flu, but I managed to shake it off in under a week. Since then, and all through the pandemic, my sense of smell had enhanced, picking out stranger non-associated aromas.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/22 at 2:51 pm

I don't have COVID, I was tested negative 3 times but I think it was last year I might have had a cold and that's when I probably lost my sense of smell, maybe it's called anosmia but some things aren't smelling like what they're supposed to smell like, it's like for me it's a light scent just barely smell it.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/22 at 1:38 am

When/If "COVID" ends, something worse will come and our rights and freedoms will be completely wiped away from us but in a larger extent. This is only the beginning, unfortunately.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/22 at 3:14 am

In the UK the cases for Covid are falling, but now there is a new worry, monkeypox.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/22 at 7:05 am

In the UK the cases for Covid are falling, but now there is a new worry, monkeypox.

First COVID and now Monkey Pox. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/22 at 7:44 am

First COVID and now Monkey Pox. :(

I’ve always wanted a monkey.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/22 at 1:42 pm

For a pet?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/21/22 at 2:02 pm

For a pet?

Unfortunately, a lot of people have made that mistake. In case you are seriously thinking about it, read this first. Aside from the fact that it's simply not right to take them from their natural habitat, do you really want this kind of wild animal for a pet?

10 Reasons Monkeys Should Never Be Pets

https://www.primaterescue.org/10-reasons-monkeys-should-never-be-pets/

Excerpts:

As babies they are adorable and sweet, but once they hit puberty (around age 3) their demeanor will completely change. They will become unpredictable, aggressive, unmanageable, and dangerous, often biting and scratching even their most favored caregiver. No amount of training will tame a wild animal or keep them from asserting their dominance. Monkeys can live to be 20-40 years old, which is a long time to care for an aggressive, biting animal.

They will destroy your home and make it stink! Throwing feces and urine, “poop painting” on the walls, and urinating everywhere are typical monkey behaviors in a human home. You may think that diapers are the answer, but even if a monkey would agree to wear one, they often cause painful sores and rashes, and they restrict the tail muscles from developing normally causing physical damage to the primate. (Life at the sanctuary allows these animals the freedom to express these species-specific behaviors, without forcing them into difficult, hands-on situations. We are able to feed, clean, and enrich all primate areas without direct contact with any primate)

Hierarchy! Primates naturally want to be the one in charge in a group, or at least be second in command. This means that generally a primate will bond with one person who they think is in charge, and then perceive everyone else as the enemy. They will attack humans with vicious bites and scratches to maintain their status in the group. This means ultimately you will be left alone with your monkey, cut off from normal social interactions with your family and friends, and unable to enjoy time away from your home or to take family vacations.

Monkeys can carry parasites and zoonotic diseases that are dangerous to humans. They may seem to be in perfect health, but when they inevitably bite or scratch you, you may end up with a variety of health issues passed to you from your monkey that were dormant in the monkey’s system.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/22 at 8:56 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of people have made that mistake. In case you are seriously thinking about it, read this first. Aside from the fact that it's simply not right to take them from their natural habitat, do you really want this kind of wild animal for a pet?

10 Reasons Monkeys Should Never Be Pets

https://www.primaterescue.org/10-reasons-monkeys-should-never-be-pets/

Excerpts:

As babies they are adorable and sweet, but once they hit puberty (around age 3) their demeanor will completely change. They will become unpredictable, aggressive, unmanageable, and dangerous, often biting and scratching even their most favored caregiver. No amount of training will tame a wild animal or keep them from asserting their dominance. Monkeys can live to be 20-40 years old, which is a long time to care for an aggressive, biting animal.

They will destroy your home and make it stink! Throwing feces and urine, “poop painting” on the walls, and urinating everywhere are typical monkey behaviors in a human home. You may think that diapers are the answer, but even if a monkey would agree to wear one, they often cause painful sores and rashes, and they restrict the tail muscles from developing normally causing physical damage to the primate. (Life at the sanctuary allows these animals the freedom to express these species-specific behaviors, without forcing them into difficult, hands-on situations. We are able to feed, clean, and enrich all primate areas without direct contact with any primate)

Hierarchy! Primates naturally want to be the one in charge in a group, or at least be second in command. This means that generally a primate will bond with one person who they think is in charge, and then perceive everyone else as the enemy. They will attack humans with vicious bites and scratches to maintain their status in the group. This means ultimately you will be left alone with your monkey, cut off from normal social interactions with your family and friends, and unable to enjoy time away from your home or to take family vacations.

Monkeys can carry parasites and zoonotic diseases that are dangerous to humans. They may seem to be in perfect health, but when they inevitably bite or scratch you, you may end up with a variety of health issues passed to you from your monkey that were dormant in the monkey’s system.

That ain’t the half of it. A few years ago, a monkey ripped the face off of some lady.

And another monkey tore the ‘nads off of some other guy.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/21/22 at 9:12 pm

That ain’t the half of it. A few years ago, a monkey ripped the face off of some lady.

If I recall, the woman who had her face ripped/eaten off by her pet monkey was the recipient of one of the first full face transplants.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/22 at 10:30 pm

If I recall, the woman who had her face ripped/eaten off by her pet monkey was the recipient of one of the first full face transplants.

Yep. I don’t think the dude got another set of nards though.  :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/22/22 at 12:27 am

I won't go anywhere near a chimpanzee unless it's behind bars or glass.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/22 at 2:16 am

I won't go anywhere near a chimpanzee unless it's behind bars or glass.  :o
BTW, is Michael Jackson's pet chimpanzee Bubbles still alive?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/22 at 3:25 am

That was back in 2009, The chimp got so angry it tore the face right off of a woman and now she is blind because of that.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/22 at 3:26 am

She needed surgery and a face transplant.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/22 at 3:27 am

I think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/22 at 3:29 am

I think so.
Is there evidence of this?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/22 at 3:30 am

Let us not forget "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" by Edgar Allen Poe.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/22 at 3:44 am

Is there evidence of this?

There was evidence that he died but he is now living comfortably for 12 years in The Great Apes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/22 at 6:12 am

There was evidence that he died but he is now living comfortably for 12 years in The Great Apes.
An Elvis complex?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/22 at 8:08 am

Bubbles the Chimp is indeed still alive and well at The Center for Great Apes in Florida.  8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbles_(chimpanzee)

According to Bubbles’ Wikipedia page… ”Jackson's housekeepers testified that they disapproved of the chimpanzee behavior. One said she had to clean feces hurled at the bedroom wall :o , and another described a chimpanzee tearing off his diaper before crawling into Jackson's bed.”  8-P

In another antic… ” According to author David Wigg, Queen singer Freddie Mercury grew frustrated trying to record a duet with Jackson, "There Must Be More to Life Than This", because of his insistence that Bubbles be in the studio. According to Wigg, "Michael made Bubbles sit between them and would turn to the chimp between takes and ask, 'Don't you think that was lovely?' Or, 'Do you think we should do that again?' After a few days of this, Freddie just exploded ... 'I'm not performing with a @#%$&  chimp sitting next to me each night.'" Mercury left the project and released the song as a solo artist in 1985.”

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/22 at 8:23 am

Bubbles the Chimp is indeed still alive and well at The Center for Great Apes in Florida.  8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbles_(chimpanzee)

According to Bubbles’ Wikipedia page… ”Jackson's housekeepers testified that they disapproved of the chimpanzee behavior. One said she had to clean feces hurled at the bedroom wall :o , and another described a chimpanzee tearing off his diaper before crawling into Jackson's bed.”  8-P

In another antic… ” According to author David Wigg, Queen singer Freddie Mercury grew frustrated trying to record a duet with Jackson, "There Must Be More to Life Than This", because of his insistence that Bubbles be in the studio. According to Wigg, "Michael made Bubbles sit between them and would turn to the chimp between takes and ask, 'Don't you think that was lovely?' Or, 'Do you think we should do that again?' After a few days of this, Freddie just exploded ... 'I'm not performing with a @#%$&  chimp sitting next to me each night.'" Mercury left the project and released the song as a solo artist in 1985.”
O0

Thank you.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/22 at 3:06 pm

An Elvis complex?

It's sort of like a home for apes or chimps to live out the rest of their lives.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/22 at 3:07 pm

An Elvis complex?

It's sort of like a home for apes or chimps to live out the rest of their lives.
No, reported dead, but people still think he is alive.

Written By: nally on 05/06/23 at 7:14 pm

Apparently Dr. Fauci officially declared the end of COVID as a pandemic.

And now, a year later, the CDC no longer classifies it as a "global emergency."

Written By: Howard on 05/07/23 at 2:41 am

And now, a year later, the CDC no longer classifies it as a "global emergency."

And that's a good thing, so not many people will worry a lot about it.

Written By: nally on 05/07/23 at 10:14 am

And that's a good thing, so not many people will worry a lot about it.

Yes, but I’m sure people will continue to take safety precautions as long as they wish.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/23 at 5:56 pm

COVID will only end when work from home is no longer a forced thing

Written By: Howard on 05/10/23 at 6:58 am

Aren't people bored from working from home? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/23 at 7:15 am

My son enjoyed working from home!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/23 at 7:16 am

Yes, but I’m sure people will continue to take safety precautions as long as they wish.
It is definitely not over yet, there are still cases and fatalities reported each week.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/23 at 7:24 am

I didn't know WFH was still a forced thing. If anything RTO is forced by some companies. I will avoid those like a virus itself.

Same. I miss it and actually miss 2020 for that reason. Currently I work in a "hybrid" schedule where we're allowed to WFH one day a week. I had a more difficult time re-adapting to working in an office environment than I expected. I hate it for many reasons, but #1 is the commute. 2nd is annoying coworkers.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/23 at 7:44 am

But What about your paychecks?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/23 at 7:47 am

But What about your paychecks?
Paid into his account as per normal practice.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/23 at 1:16 pm

It is definitely not over yet, there are still cases and fatalities reported each week.

Who knows when it will be over, we may never know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/23 at 1:29 pm

Who knows when it will be over, we may never know.
It may end up as a bad case of flu.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/23 at 8:38 pm

I certainly am.  The problem with working from home is that you're in your home when you're working so when you're not working, you still feel like you're at work. There's no separation from work and home

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/10/23 at 9:07 pm

I certainly am.  The problem with working from home is that you're in your home when you're working so when you're not working, you still feel like you're at work. There's no separation from work and home

I have said that for years, long before Covid, back when "working from home" was hailed as "the way of the future".  It isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/23 at 2:43 am

And the only boss is either your Mother or your wife.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/23 at 6:01 am

Think of the money saved on transportation fares?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/11/23 at 7:06 am

And less money spent on clothes. Sitting behind a computer screen, working in one’s underwear, really cuts the clothes budget.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/23 at 7:14 am

And less money spent on clothes. Sitting behind a computer screen, working in one’s underwear, really cuts the clothes budget.  ;D
Having a Zoom Meeting only wearing a shirt and jacket... ?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/11/23 at 7:30 am

For me it's the opposite. When I'm working from home I actually don't feel like I'm working even though I am, and getting a lot more done since I'm not wasting time commuting and feeling the need to leave early to beat traffic home. Plus no distractions like people walking up to my desk every 5 minutes when they need something. I'm also willing to sign on early and stay on late with the laptop on standby while I'm taking care of things around the house. We're expected to be available 24/7 anyway so it doesn't make a difference whether we're in the office, at home, or in a hotel room on vacation. Our work definitely doesn't end when we leave the office building.

Including gas. And time wasted in traffic. Then again where I live has the worstest traffic in the whole United States. Also higher risks of getting in to a wreck, and road rage.

Then once you get to the office, having to be around annoying people, and making small talk with people who pretend to care how your weekend was, how their kids are doing in school, their pets, etc. Also having to share a kitchen/breakroom, line for getting coffee, and nasty bathrooms.

I could write a whole book or blog on reasons I hate going in to the office. If I were make a pros and cons list of going in to the office, there would be no pros, only cons. Only there are some things that need to be physically done in the office and I don't mind doing those, but if there is not it's pointless. Also I didn't mind coming in alone when we were on the 3 and 2 schedule and rotating w/my coworker, but now that we both have to be in its getting on my nerves, especially his loud typing and talking on the phone, both work and personal calls.

Meanwhile one guy in my office and same department is in his 50's and never been married, and he enjoys coming in to the office mainly to gawk at the 20-something year old post-grad females.

That too. I miss working in my shorts/t-shirt in summer and sweatpants/hoodie during the colder months. My company was actually considering implementing an even more stringent dress code during the RTO, but luckily just stuck with business casual.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/23 at 10:29 am

I have said that for years, long before Covid, back when "working from home" was hailed as "the way of the future".  It isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I even saw some people "working from coffeehouse"...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/11/23 at 10:43 am

I even saw some people "working from coffeehouse"...

That's the pretentious version of "working from home".  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/23 at 1:09 pm

Covid is still out there!

Latest in England

Written By: Howard on 05/11/23 at 2:20 pm

You definitely save yourself a lot.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/23 at 2:21 pm

Well not exactly if you are in a Zoom conference meeting, you must dress up for it.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/23 at 2:22 pm

Having a Zoom Meeting only wearing a shirt and jacket... ?

A dress shirt and a tie.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/23 at 2:24 pm

For me it's the opposite. When I'm working from home I actually don't feel like I'm working even though I am, and getting a lot more done since I'm not wasting time commuting and feeling the need to leave early to beat traffic home. Plus no distractions like people walking up to my desk every 5 minutes when they need something. I'm also willing to sign on early and stay on late with the laptop on standby while I'm taking care of things around the house. We're expected to be available 24/7 anyway so it doesn't make a difference whether we're in the office, at home, or in a hotel room on vacation. Our work definitely doesn't end when we leave the office building.

Including gas. And time wasted in traffic. Then again where I live has the worstest traffic in the whole United States. Also higher risks of getting in to a wreck, and road rage.

Then once you get to the office, having to be around annoying people, and making small talk with people who pretend to care how your weekend was, how their kids are doing in school, their pets, etc. Also having to share a kitchen/breakroom, line for getting coffee, and nasty bathrooms.

I could write a whole book or blog on reasons I hate going in to the office. If I were make a pros and cons list of going in to the office, there would be no pros, only cons. Only there are some things that need to be physically done in the office and I don't mind doing those, but if there is not it's pointless. Also I didn't mind coming in alone when we were on the 3 and 2 schedule and rotating w/my coworker, but now that we both have to be in its getting on my nerves, especially his loud typing and talking on the phone, both work and personal calls.

Meanwhile one guy in my office and same department is in his 50's and never been married, and he enjoys coming in to the office mainly to gawk at the 20-something year old post-grad females.

That too. I miss working in my shorts/t-shirt in summer and sweatpants/hoodie during the colder months. My company was actually considering implementing an even more stringent dress code during the RTO, but luckily just stuck with business casual.

What an idiot.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/23 at 2:30 pm

A dress shirt and a tie.
A tie being optional?

Check for new replies or respond here...