inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone notice the Gentrification areas now reversing ?

Written By: Starro23 on 04/29/22 at 3:41 pm

In the mid 2010s it was very common to see blocks be re-branded with Starbucks, horrible Hipster coffee shops
and lounge spaces, but something I noticed in the last 6 months is that due to the high crime going on, these spaces
are starting to close down or just lose some of their clientele. This isn't everywhere but it's a trend I have noticed.

Has anyone noticed this shift going on ?  It is way 2 early to make a definitive assessment but I think we are going to
see all that money that was poured into gentrification be thrown out the window due to these recent developments.
It's not just New York or Jersey but some areas of San Fran as well. It just goes to show you not to throw all your
eggs in one basket with the idea you can just re-brand a spot and it will remain that way for years.

Subject: Re: Anyone notice the Gentrification areas now reversing ?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/30/22 at 7:32 am

Since the pandemic there has been a new flight to the suburbs. Also with the Millennials, with whom it was popular to live in urban settings in the 2000's and 2010's, are now switching to the suburbs for SFH's as they are starting families. Meanwhile the inner cities have once again become decaying areas with crime, homelessness, drugs, etc.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/22 at 8:14 am

Meanwhile the inner cities have once again become decaying areas with crime, homelessness, drugs, etc.

As they have been for most of the past 75 years or so.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/30/22 at 9:38 am

As they have been for most of the past 75 years or so.

As they have been since the beginnings of industrialization in the early 1800's

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/22 at 10:34 am

As they have been since the beginnings of industrialization in the early 1800's

Yep.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/22 at 2:34 pm

Since more and more people are working from home, they are moving out of the centre. I find this kinda sad though.. Culture and socializing is declining for this reason and crime is increasing. It's very dystopic and sad. Worst part? It's not even cheaper to move further out anymore. Now that it is known more and more people are trying to move to cheaper places since they are working from home, it is bringing the value and price up so it is no longer affordable. Pretty soon it will be unsustainable to live anywhere, even in the country.

Written By: Contigo on 05/11/22 at 6:26 am

In the mid 2010s it was very common to see blocks be re-branded with Starbucks, horrible Hipster coffee shops
and lounge spaces, but something I noticed in the last 6 months is that due to the high crime going on, these spaces
are starting to close down or just lose some of their clientele. This isn't everywhere but it's a trend I have noticed.

Has anyone noticed this shift going on ?  It is way 2 early to make a definitive assessment but I think we are going to
see all that money that was poured into gentrification be thrown out the window due to these recent developments.
It's not just New York or Jersey but some areas of San Fran as well. It just goes to show you not to throw all your
eggs in one basket with the idea you can just re-brand a spot and it will remain that way for years.

I haven't noticed this much where I am (a smaller town in Canada) but I guess you noticed this where you are, what part of the USA are you in?

Check for new replies or respond here...