inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Graduating high school in 10 days

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 05/06/22 at 6:12 pm

I can't believe it. I'm really nervous to start my young adult life, haha. :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Graduating high school in 10 days

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/06/22 at 6:14 pm

Congratulations, JimiBoy04!!!  That's a major milestone.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/22 at 6:30 pm

Congrats. My oldest granddaughter also graduates this year.

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 05/06/22 at 6:47 pm

Well congrats to you!
Looking back, I was glad to graduate and get the heck out of high school, my graduation year was 1974-75.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/06/22 at 7:39 pm

Well congrats to you!
Looking back, I was glad to graduate and get the heck out of high school, my graduation year was 1974-75.

I couldn't get out fast enough either. Like a fire truck out of hell.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/22 at 7:04 am

I can't believe it. I'm really nervous to start my young adult life, haha. :\'( :\'(

Congratulations Jimmy. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/07/22 at 9:57 am

Congrats!!!

I too was REALLY glad to be out (1964)

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 05/10/22 at 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone! Just had a graduation rehearsal today.

It was a huge circus, just to put it bluntly, haha!  ::) 8-P

Written By: Contigo on 05/11/22 at 6:58 am

Thanks everyone! Just had a graduation rehearsal today.

It was a huge circus, just to put it bluntly, haha!  ::) 8-P

Even 47 years ago when I graduated, rehearsal was a circus, at first no one knew what they were doing, and slowly things fell into place. For graduation I wore a hideous blu-ish suit (it was 1975) , I remember walking up on stage to pick up my diploma, and I sat at the end of a row beside Amy Campbell. The last person I talked to in my whole school was Lucy Cooper, she was such a nice girl, her parents were there as well and I congratulated her parents for bringing up such a wonderful daughter, Lucy was supposed to get married that summer to her boyfriend and if she did they've been married 47 years.  :o
We were all 18 or 19 then, now we are 64 or 65. What the hell happened?

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/11/22 at 9:20 am

Even 47 years ago when I graduated, rehearsal was a circus, at first no one knew what they were doing, and slowly things fell into place. For graduation I wore a hideous blu-ish suit (it was 1975) , I remember walking up on stage to pick up my diploma, and I sat at the end of a row beside Amy Campbell. They last person I talked to in my whole school was Lucy Cooper, she was such a nice girl, her parents were there as well and I congratulated her parents for bringing up such a wonderful daughter, Lucy was supposed to get married that summer to her boyfriend and if she did they've been married 47 years.  :o

Time flies when you're having fun

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/11/22 at 9:56 am

Even 47 years ago when I graduated, rehearsal was a circus, at first no one knew what they were doing, and slowly things fell into place. For graduation I wore a hideous blu-ish suit (it was 1975), I remember walking up on stage to pick up my diploma, and I sat at the end of a row beside Amy Campbell. They last person I talked to in my whole school was Lucy Cooper, she was such a nice girl, her parents were there as well and I congratulated her parents for bringing up such a wonderful daughter, Lucy was supposed to get married that summer to her boyfriend and if she did they've been married 47 years.  :o

O0 My graduation rehearsal went something like that.  About the blu-ish suit, that was all the rage in '75.  (My prom date wore a tux in seafoam green, which coordinated perfectly with my prom dress.  Very stylish!  Incidentally I wore that same prom dress for my '77 graduation; seamstress that I am, I cut the dress off to tea length.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/11/22 at 10:07 am

Even 47 years ago when I graduated, rehearsal was a circus, at first no one knew what they were doing, and slowly things fell into place. For graduation I wore a hideous blu-ish suit (it was 1975) , I remember walking up on stage to pick up my diploma, and I sat at the end of a row beside Amy Campbell. They last person I talked to in my whole school was Lucy Cooper, she was such a nice girl, her parents were there as well and I congratulated her parents for bringing up such a wonderful daughter, Lucy was supposed to get married that summer to her boyfriend and if she did they've been married 47 years.  :o

Funny thing, I don't remember even having a graduation rehearsal. I mean, I must have but I don't remember it. I was so anxious to get the hell out.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/11/22 at 10:32 am

I couldn't wait to get out. It felt like being sprung from a long prison sentence. I felt a sense of adventure calling. The very air itself felt different. But it seems there was less of an inclination to cling to childhood and early adolescence in those days than there is now.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/22 at 2:45 pm

Time flies when you're having fun

It sure does.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/22 at 2:46 pm

O0 My graduation rehearsal went something like that.  About the blu-ish suit, that was all the rage in '75.  (My prom date wore a tux in seafoam green, which coordinated perfectly with my prom dress.  Very stylish!  Incidentally I wore that same prom dress for my '77 graduation; seamstress that I am, I cut the dress off to tea length.)

How was your prom, AG?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/22 at 2:47 pm

This coming June will mark 30 years since I graduated so time does fly when you're having fun.  :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/11/22 at 4:58 pm

How was your prom, AG?

I covered that pretty well here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=59141.msg4053481#msg4053481

Written By: Contigo on 05/11/22 at 5:09 pm

I couldn't wait to get out. It felt like being sprung from a long prison sentence. I felt a sense of adventure calling. The very air itself felt different. But it seems there was less of an inclination to cling to childhood and early adolescence in those days than there is now.

I can certainly relate .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/22 at 5:30 pm

I don't remember a rehearsal for high school. (We had one for college.) I wore a white dress-the same one I wore for my 16th birthday party, the same one that I wore for my first wedding (well, it wasn't much a wedding but that is another story) and the same one that I wore for a few other occasions. Of course many people didn't really see it because I was wearing a white gown over it.

At my college graduation rehearsal, the dean said that if anyone had a name that they think he might mispronounce to go see him. So I stood in line because everyone always wanted to put an "s" at the end of my name. I always said that there was only ONE of me. As I was standing there, this one guy looked at me and said, "How hard is "XXXXs?" I said, "It is "XXXX." He said, "Point taken." The funny thing is, the Dean had the exact same problem. Everyone always wants to put an "s" on the end of his name, too. But, was is really strange, there was another woman at the college who's name was the same as mine except WITH the "s"-FIRST & last name. I then said, "Maybe there are more than one of me." The funny thing is, even though it was a small school, I never met her but everyone always confused the two of us. And it is not like it was a popular name like Smith.

Cat

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/11/22 at 11:05 pm

That's crazy -- you were born the same year I graduated*. Congratulations, Jimi.

*Technically...
I had a "social graduation," in which I walk across the stage, collect my paper and do all the normal things, but the school would hold on to my diploma until I completed my entire education (and then my diploma would be dated whatever year I finished, which was 2008). But I did attend a nice tech school concurrently with my senior year, so I did graduate that year one way or another. I attended a job training class for the next four years and "graduated"/aged out of the public school system at 22. If nothing else, this class allowed me to hone my social skills.

Time is so crazy like that.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/12/22 at 3:25 am

I still have my graduation hat and balloon after I graduated High School, it's still in my closet somewhere.

Written By: karen on 05/13/22 at 2:17 am

In the UK this just isn’t a thing. Students do national exams, in the subjects they have been studying, from the end of May until mid-June. The results of these come out in mid-August.

I work in a school and today is the last day this group will be all together in school. We are having a day of events, including brunch, a group challenge and some fun awards, but nothing like a graduation. That is saved for when you finish university (if you choose to go)

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/13/22 at 9:16 am

Tell me about it!  I was sooo tired of high school and sooo ready for college, and even though I worked full time all summer ( in a factory making gas station hose) I had a good summer

Written By: Elor on 05/13/22 at 10:22 am

It's pretty sad to see how many people here hated their time in school. :-[

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/22 at 10:35 am

Not really. It shows we had a healthy sense of what was really important. And school wasn't it. After a certain point, far more education is to be found OUTSIDE the classroom than in it. What this country really needs is a hell of a lot LESS compulsory schooling, not more.

But yes, while we were there it was sad. One felt unfree. One felt that much of what they were "teaching" was meaningless. And indeed it WAS meaningless.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/22 at 11:59 am

It's pretty sad to see how many people here hated their time in school. :-
Not really. It shows we had a healthy sense of what was really important. And school wasn't it. After a certain point, far more education is to be found OUTSIDE the classroom than in it. What this country really needs is a hell of a lot LESS compulsory schooling, not more.

But yes, while we were there it was sad. One felt unfree. One felt that much of what they were "teaching" was meaningless. And indeed it WAS meaningless.

Can I rebut this a little?  For me, yes, high school at times felt like a prison, something I had to do, but I generally liked learning and I learned plenty of pertinent stuff in high school.  I fouled up my first crack at college level education, but it took only a year out of school and in the "real world" (a year that wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been) for me to see the value in completing my education.  And college was tough - but I learned really important things there, in particular during my second go at it when I got serious.  (It was a huge help to get into a co-op program, think hyper-internship, while still in college.)  Importantly, I learned how to learn, as when I finally got out and started my career (a quick transition I might add) I started learning things immediately that weren't covered in school, but I'd "learned how to learn".  I had a long and prosperous career as a Software Engineer, which couldn't have happened for me without education.

Written By: Contigo on 05/13/22 at 1:01 pm

I was glad to get the hell out of high school, and although I have never been to any reunions nor plan to go, I didnt hate my time there. I just never felt I belonged.
There were several groups/cliques of teens at my high school, They were: the potheads, the drunks, the people who wanted to have sex with anyone (and there was some overlap within these 3 groups), and the nerds.
I didnt belong with either group. Most of my friends were friends outside of school, same for girlfriends at the time.  I didnt have any enemies or people I didnt get along with in high school, but I also never built any close friendships with high school classmates, but I did with my university classmates. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/22 at 1:07 pm

Can I rebut this a little?  For me, yes, high school at times felt like a prison, something I had to do, but I generally liked learning and I learned plenty of pertinent stuff in high school.  I fouled up my first crack at college level education, but it took only a year out of school and in the "real world" (a year that wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been) for me to see the value in completing my education.  And college was tough - but I learned really important things there, in particular during my second go at it when I got serious.  (It was a huge help to get into a co-op program, think hyper-internship, while still in college.)  Importantly, I learned how to learn, as when I finally got out and started my career (a quick transition I might add) I started learning things immediately that weren't covered in school, but I'd "learned how to learn".  I had a long and prosperous career as a Software Engineer, which couldn't have happened for me without education.

Yes of course one needs training and education if one has a specific vocation in mind. A doctor needs training. So does a software engineer, an architect, a nuclear physicist, a marine biologist, etc. But the educational system still has a hell of a lot of fat that could stand to be trimmed.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/22 at 1:13 pm

Congratulations Jimi! It will be a very transitional time of your life, like 1997 was for me. Best of luck to you in your next chapter!

Written By: Howard on 05/13/22 at 1:36 pm

So you liked your time in High School?

Written By: Howard on 05/13/22 at 1:39 pm

I was glad to get the hell out of high school, and although I have never been to any reunions nor plan to go, I didnt hate my time there. I just never felt I belonged.
There were several groups/cliques of teens at my high school, They were: the potheads, the drunks, the people who wanted to have sex with anyone (and there was some overlap within these 3 groups), and the nerds.
I didnt belong with either group. Most of my friends were friends outside of school, same for girlfriends at the time.  I didnt have any enemies or people I didnt get along with in high school, but I also never built any close friendships with high school classmates, but I did with my university classmates.

During my time in High School I had both Special Ed And mainstream classes, since I have a disability that's where they put me back then, I was there from 1988-1992.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/22 at 1:41 pm

For the most part, I liked high school. I went to two different schools (moved going into my senior year). I really wanted to stay in the old school for my senior year but that didn't happen. And it was a much bigger school. So, being the new kid in town (again) for your senior year sucks. But, being a senior had its privileges. I pretty much fulfilled most of my required courses so my course load was light. I needed a "major" which my old school didn't have so I chose music since I had a few credits from my old school. I took Theory, Voice, & Choir.

Theory was the hardest class I EVER took in my life. I was struggling with it. Since my parents (mother, father, step-father) all came from a music background, they understood. I told them that I was going to pass but not by much. I was so proud of myself. Passing was 65 and I got 69. I think they were proud of me, too since they knew I struggled in that class. 

I had to take a half year of Gym and my "English" was "Theatre Arts." The guy really didn't know what he was doing so it was a pretty easy class and in fact, there were many days where we really didn't do anything.

That was pretty much my course load. (I still remember the schedule. 1st period was Gym for the first half of the school year. Voice was 3rd period. Theatre Arts 4th, Theory 6th period, & Choir 8th period.) The rest of the time I had an "open" period so I felt like I was out of school more than I was in. The second half of the year, I would arrive, go to Homeroom and then leave the school until 3rd period. I would hang out a local pinball place (and other local businesses-including a bar  :o :D) in between classes.

I have mentioned this before but I do remember when the bell rang for the very last time and I felt the tears coming. 12 years were over! It was like something you have waited for all of your life and now it was here. I also remember going up to my Theory teacher and telling him that I knew I wasn't the best teacher but I learned A LOT in his class.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/22 at 1:46 pm

Yes of course one needs training and education if one has a specific vocation in mind. A doctor needs training. So does a software engineer, an architect, a nuclear physicist, a marine biologist, etc. But the educational system still has a hell of a lot of fat that could stand to be trimmed.

I agree 100% about fat that needs to be trimmed.  Although I can see value in many subjects, some of which have been trimmed too much IMO in recent years, for instance music and art.  But there are courses I've heard of these days that sound like pure fluff.

Written By: Elor on 05/13/22 at 2:38 pm

So you liked your time in High School?
Most of the time. I had some difficulties with some subjects. Math and Latin in particular. In 7th and 8th grade I also completely sucked at *drumroll* ....English. But apart from that I got along quite well most of the time. Made some friends but it all fell apart after my military time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/22 at 3:13 pm

Most of the time. I had some difficulties with some subjects. Math and Latin in particular. In 7th and 8th grade I also completely sucked at *drumroll* ....English. But apart from that I got along quite well most of the time. Made some friends but it all fell apart after my military time.

Even though I have never HEARD you speak, from what I can tell, your English is so much better than many people I know who's first language is English.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/14/22 at 7:07 am

I had those subjects which I liked and some I disliked.

Written By: Elor on 05/14/22 at 10:58 am

Even though I have never HEARD you speak, from what I can tell, your English is so much better than many people I know who's first language is English.

I became a lot better when we stopped doing grammar back and forth (gap texts...ugh... 8-P ::)) and finally started to speak English in class and actually use the language.

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 05/16/22 at 8:20 pm

Welp, graduation was today. I might go to sleep early tonight. Very tiring day all around. A lot of emotions too, haha. :\'( :\'(

Written By: Howard on 05/17/22 at 3:23 am

Welp, graduation was today. I might go to sleep early tonight. Very tiring day all around. A lot of emotions too, haha. :\'( :\'(

Take it easy and feel better.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/17/22 at 9:37 pm

Congratulations on your graduation!  :)

As far as being tiring, it's stressful to graduate - the good kind.  The emotions are tiring, too.  Take a little break, you've earned it.

Written By: Elor on 05/18/22 at 2:17 am

Congratulations on graduating. : :)

Written By: Howard on 05/18/22 at 3:39 am

Congratulations on your graduation!  :)

As far as being tiring, it's stressful to graduate - the good kind.  The emotions are tiring, too.  Take a little break, you've earned it.

And then trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/22 at 4:19 am

Congrats!

Check for new replies or respond here...