inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The early 20s suck

Written By: GameXcaper on 05/07/22 at 4:49 pm

I never thought any time period could be worse than the late 10s, but the early 20s have proved me wrong. Pretty much everything that can go wrong has already gone wrong. Covid, the war 8n Ukraine, the economy, climate change, rising crime rates, rising COL, inflation, and more. Not to mention pop culture just sucks right now, from music to games to movies. It's probably going to get worse. A recession will almost certainly happen. The only good thing I can think of is all the new anime and the end of big techs golden age.

Subject: Re: The early 20s suck

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/07/22 at 7:05 pm

I actually thought the mid 10s were worse than the late 10s, but the early 20s are by far the worst era we've had to live through. I also thought it couldn't get worse than 2020, and then 2021, but then 2022 happened. I actually miss 2020 and 2021. At least we had good music and good series for streaming then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/07/22 at 7:17 pm

Things get good, then bad. Then good, then bad. Sometimes good and bad at the same time. That's how the flow of life goes.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/08/22 at 11:15 am

I liked 2020. I stayed safe and was smart, so the quarantine with my little family was honestly kinda cozy.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/22 at 2:23 pm

For music and pop culture it doesn't but for everything else yeah it's pretty terrible. Personal-life wise it isn't bad though. Except for the stigma over not having the you know what.

Still I hated the late 2010s and early 2010s more. So I'm trying to stay positive.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/08/22 at 8:06 pm

Things get good, then bad. Then good, then bad. Sometimes good and bad at the same time. That's how the flow of life goes.

Hopefully it will get better. My prediction is things will turn around in the second half of 2023, and 2024 will be back to a 2020-level bad, which is actually an improvement from 2022. That might still be an overly optimistic prediction.

I liked 2020. I stayed safe and was smart, so the quarantine with my little family was honestly kinda cozy.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed 2020. People disliked 2020 for what they couldn't do, but in 2022 they can do those things but it's just not as enjoyable as it was pre-pandemic. With the way people act now you can't go out anywhere without worrying about a fight starting or even someone getting shot. You also can't travel anywhere by plane without thinking about the possibility of an unruly passenger.

For music and pop culture it doesn't but for everything else yeah it's pretty terrible. Personal-life wise it isn't bad though. Except for the stigma over not having the you know what.

Still I hated the late 2010s and early 2010s more. So I'm trying to stay positive.

In 2022 even the music and pop-culture sucks, as well as my personal life.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/08/22 at 8:50 pm

Hopefully it will get better. My prediction is things will turn around in the second half of 2023, and 2024 will be back to a 2020-level bad, which is actually an improvement from 2022. That might still be an overly optimistic prediction.

On what do you base this prediction? So many people make "predictions" here that are unfounded, or that seem completely random. OR they base them on some kind of  perceived "cycle" which has no basis in scientific fact.

I'm making a general comment here now, not to you personally, but I'm thinking that if people are going to make "predictions" here they have to source them, or cite WHY, with some solid evidence.  A lot of people here  just make stuff up about "predictions". I.E. "the second half of 2022 is going to be like the third and fourth months of 2009 with a little bit of February 2021 thrown in and some nostalgia for the last moth of 1998 and first month of 1999". That kind of nonsense.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/22 at 3:21 am

Yeah, I actually enjoyed 2020. People disliked 2020 for what they couldn't do, but in 2022 they can do those things but it's just not as enjoyable as it was pre-pandemic. With the way people act now you can't go out anywhere without worrying about a fight starting or even someone getting shot. You also can't travel anywhere by plane without thinking about the possibility of an unruly passenger.

In 2022 even the music and pop-culture sucks, as well as my personal life.

I think we're living in this violent culture now.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 05/09/22 at 4:04 am

First off, I'm guessing most of you follow the news. Don't. The world's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. That being said, things are pretty sucky rn. Music has completely stagnated since the start of the year

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/22 at 4:55 am

I was the same as you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/22 at 8:18 am

Yes, you do tend to hear more sirens on the streets now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/09/22 at 8:59 am

What do you suspect is the cause of this?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/09/22 at 2:26 pm

On what do you base this prediction? So many people make "predictions" here that are unfounded, or that seem completely random. OR they base them on some kind of  perceived "cycle" which has no basis in scientific fact.

I'm making a general comment here now, not to you personally, but I'm thinking that if people are going to make "predictions" here they have to source them, or cite WHY, with some solid evidence.  A lot of people here  just make stuff up about "predictions". I.E. "the second half of 2022 is going to be like the third and fourth months of 2009 with a little bit of February 2021 thrown in and some nostalgia for the last moth of 1998 and first month of 1999". That kind of nonsense.

I'll be honest. I'm solely basing on the patterns of 2007 and 1991, seeing as how 2022 is like reliving 2006 and 1990, only much worse. Of course this cycle a lot of things happened a lot different due to COVID. The Olympics got delayed, the Batman movie got delayed, and the incumbent Republican president lost reelection. I was hoping with what we went through in 2020 and 2021, that 2022 will actually have been a better year and inverse of the 2004-2006 and 1988-1990 scenarios, but instead it turned out to be worse and made me miss the previous two years the same way as the earlier cycles.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making predictions, or speculations. It doesn't have to be based on any science, facts, or evidence. It's just guesses.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/22 at 2:59 pm

First off, I'm guessing most of you follow the news. Don't. The world's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. That being said, things are pretty sucky rn. Music has completely stagnated since the start of the year

I try to follow the news as much as possible.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/22 at 3:00 pm

Yes, you do tend to hear more sirens on the streets now.

And I also see more violence in other neighborhoods.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/22 at 3:02 pm

What do you suspect is the cause of this?

People are most likely off their medication.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/09/22 at 4:30 pm

People in Ukraine will beg to differ. My wife's friends there say it's actually worse than the images you see on the news.

Here in the States it might not be bad depending on where you live, maybe just certain parts of the cities. What I do notice however, is the overall vibe that everyone seems angry and unhappy.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/22 at 9:55 pm

People are most likely off their medication.

They may even be demon possessed or something.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/09/22 at 10:42 pm

They may even be demon possessed or something.

That's as good a theory as any, I suppose.  ;D  :D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/10/22 at 3:33 am

People in Ukraine will beg to differ. My wife's friends there say it's actually worse than the images you see on the news.

Here in the States it might not be bad depending on where you live, maybe just certain parts of the cities. What I do notice however, is the overall vibe that everyone seems angry and unhappy.

I've noticed it too, what do you think the cause of all this could be? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/22 at 6:19 am

2 years of pandemic and the aftermath of it, as it was expected.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/22 at 6:42 am

With more people out of work, less employment opportunities, and less money in the pocket, etc.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/22 at 7:59 am

With more people out of work, less employment opportunities, and less money in the pocket, etc.

That hasn't been happening yet, at least in the US, but probably will soon with the forecasted recession.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/22 at 2:49 pm

2 years of pandemic and the aftermath of it, as it was expected.

I've noticed it too Bat, too many are tired of wearing face masks, they're tired of the pandemic and just frustrated too.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/22 at 2:49 pm

It's hard looking for work these days.

Written By: Alozika on 05/10/22 at 5:35 pm

I agree. This decade literally makes the late 2010s look good, that should say something!

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/22 at 6:08 am

I agree. This decade literally makes the late 2010s look good, that should say something!

I actually liked the late 2010's, personally. It was the mid 2010's I didn't care for, except 2015 and early 2016.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/22 at 1:40 pm

Here's hoping that The late 20's doesn't suck.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/22 at 1:44 pm

But then what would people post in the "late 20 suck" category?  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/22 at 2:40 pm

Let's hope the mid 20's don't suck either.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/22 at 7:09 am

Let's hope the mid 20's don't suck either.

There's so much bad news almost every day now.

Check for new replies or respond here...