inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Apple discontinues the iPod

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/22 at 9:27 am

Apple has discontinued the iPod once and for all:

www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/05/the-music-lives-on/

I have an old iPod Classic (the one with the wheel) that I still find convenient to use. SO much easier than fiddling with a phone. SO sturdy. But, when the day comes I don't use it anymore, or it breaks beyond repair, is there a way I can transfer the two thousand or so songs in there to my iPhone? 95% of the songs on the iPod were uploaded into it from my CD collection using an old version of iTunes.

Subject: Re: Apple discontinues the iPod

Written By: Contigo on 05/13/22 at 11:51 am

I have a 3rd generation iPod , 10 years old or so.
If you have an iPhone I know you can transfer songs from an iPhone to an iPod
Just like you I hope my iPod lasts a while longer .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/22 at 3:15 pm

Poor gumby fan.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/22 at 3:36 pm

I hate it when tech companies decide that our favorite technology is obsolete.  >:(  It's not like we didn't invest $$$ into their profit when we bought it.

I have the obsolete "Microsoft Zune" player.  I've been overall happy with it.  Actually, I have more than one.  Not too long ago, my biggest one up and died.  Dead.  I'm continually shopping on ebay for a replacement until I find one I want.  Meanwhile my other two Zunes are taking up its slack.  Zune technology has been obsolete for about 10 years but my devices (other than the dead one) still work great.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/22 at 5:10 pm

Poor gumby fan.

Cat

;D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/13/22 at 7:25 pm

I hate it when tech companies decide that our favorite technology is obsolete.  >:(  It's not like we didn't invest $$$ into their profit when we bought it.

I have the obsolete "Microsoft Zune" player.  I've been overall happy with it.  Actually, I have more than one.  Not too long ago, my biggest one up and died.  Dead.  I'm continually shopping on ebay for a replacement until I find one I want.  Meanwhile my other two Zunes are taking up its slack.  Zune technology has been obsolete for about 10 years but my devices (other than the dead one) still work great.

Yeah, fear of obsolescence is exactly why I haven't had a video game system since Nintendo 64, though I have considered the available systems throughout the years (Gamecube to PS5). I'm so glad I went with N64 instead of Dreamcast; I would have been back to square one.

As for iPods, I appreciate their legacy, but they were never for me. Never owned one. I did listen to a friend's once. I've just never been an iPod/iTunes/earbud guy. Just give me CDs and a decent stereo or even a boombox and I was satisfied. Nowadays, vinyl is part of my equation. But I just never saw the point, and I was already aware of MP3s and compression. I had never heard of iPods until I moved to Oklahoma in 2004 and saw all these U2 ads. A few classmates and I worked at Target as part of our job training class that year, so the ads always appeared on the demo TVs. Just like with wireless headphones, I appreciate and accept that they might suit somebody's needs, but not mine. As for me, I'm too far down the hi-fi rabbit hole.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/22 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, fear of obsolescence is exactly why I haven't had a video game system since Nintendo 64, though I have considered the available systems throughout the years (Gamecube to PS5). I'm so glad I went with N64 instead of Dreamcast; I would have been back to square one.

As for iPods, I appreciate their legacy, but they were never for me. Never owned one. I did listen to a friend's once. I've just never been an iPod/iTunes/earbud guy. Just give me CDs and a decent stereo or even a boombox and I was satisfied. Nowadays, vinyl is part of my equation. But I just never saw the point, and I was already aware of MP3s and compression. I had never heard of iPods until I moved to Oklahoma in 2004 and saw all these U2 ads. A few classmates and I worked at Target as part of our job training class that year, so the ads always appeared on the demo TVs. Just like with wireless headphones, I appreciate and accept that they might suit somebody's needs, but not mine. As for me, I'm too far down the hi-fi rabbit hole.

O0 Kudos for using physical media!  That's my typical starting point.  I don't prefer earbuds either, unless I'm away from home exercising (outdoors or at the health club).  At home (where I listen more) I have an adapter device where my standing Zune attaches - I play the Zune and it feeds into my stereo's aux port (while simultaneously charging the Zune).  Nice device (I actually own several).  That's how I typically listen in the kitchen.  Incidentally, the kitchen stereo is an old fashioned receiver, mini sized, that was purchased at Radio Shack in the late 1980s; it lives on the kitchen pass-thru, along with small speakers.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/22 at 8:36 pm

Poor gumby fan.

Cat

Oh, I don't feel too bad for him. I imagine that if he still really wanted an iPod in 2022, he could probably pick one up for 5 or 10 dallars at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/14/22 at 7:44 pm

Oh, I don't feel too bad for him. I imagine that if he still really wanted an iPod in 2022, he could probably pick one up for 5 or 10 dallars at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store.  ;D

You kidding? iPod Classics are selling for decent money on Ebay, and even the lesser models (the Classic was the best) are selling for more than $5-$10.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/22 at 8:06 pm

At the time of release, the Apple iPod Nano 7th Gen was the best "mp3" player out there.  Believe me, I know.  I tried almost all of them because I hate Apple products, so for me to actually buy an Apple product meant something lol

Written By: Henk on 05/15/22 at 1:14 am

I still have an iPod Shuffle somewhere, that I won in a contest.

It's gotten out of its box only once or twice. Tried transferring music to it, but I found it too much of a hassle. Sliding a CD or DVD into a slot is more my thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...