inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's talk about gas prices (the 2020's edition)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/05/22 at 8:23 am

I remember a similar thread back in the mid 2000's after the Katrina surge. Now it's worse.

Where I live in GA it's now averaging around $4.19 for regular unleaded. I heard some places in California it's above $10/gal.

Subject: Re: Let's talk about gas prices (the 2020's edition)

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/05/22 at 9:44 am

Meanwhile oil company profits are soaring

Written By: nally on 06/05/22 at 12:40 pm

I heard some places in California it's above $10/gal.

Whoa are you serious?! :o :o

Yeah it’s way too much in my state, but I have not seen anything that high as of yet, except maybe for diesel.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/22 at 1:04 pm

Meanwhile oil company profits are soaring

Basic supply and demand.  Economics 101. Cut back the supply and prices will rise.  Same thing is happening in my business, trucking.  Do you think that (in my example) trucking companies will say "you know what, even though customers are beating down my doors to get freight hauled, I'll be a nice guy and not raise my rates" ?  Hell no.  We're calling the shots and if you want me to haul your load, you gotta pay my price.  Mind you, not much different than when things go the other way, shippers demand ridiculously low freight rates... because they can.  It's economics.

Now normally the increased prices will then stimulate new supply to come into the market.  But our current administration is hell-bent on preventing that from happening.  They'd rather beg the Venezuelans or the Saudis to pump more oil than to drill for more here in the good old U S of A.  I'm surprised they haven't tried to do a side deal with the Iranians... yet.

The US has decided to self-inflict massive damage upon its own economy as a result of goading Russia into the invasion of Ukraine by supporting corruption in Ukraine.

Mind you, none of that justifies Russia invading Ukraine, but the history books will ultimately show that our foreign policy set the table for the whole thing.

Written By: Elor on 06/05/22 at 1:33 pm

Basic supply and demand.  Economics 101. Cut back the supply and prices will rise.

Not really. The supply hasn't dropped by much. In fact in Europe we haven't received one gallon of oil less than usual yet gas prices skyrocketed to around 9,38 USD per gallon in my area. It's just the oil companies filling their pockets under the pretense of a feared future shortage.

The US has decided to self-inflict massive damage upon its own economy as a result of goading Russia into the invasion of Ukraine by supporting corruption in Ukraine.

How exactly did Biden goad Russia into invading? There were plenty of heads of states in Moscow to talk Putin out of it and pointing out the cost of an invasion for him. He's now getting exactly what was promised to him. The Ukrainian people wanted to become a part of the West and Putin doesn't like it as he fears his own people could want freedom at some point. No Biden conspiracy needed.

Mind you, none of that justifies Russia invading Ukraine, but the history books will ultimately show that our foreign policy set the table for the whole thing.
I think you overestimate the influence of the US in that area. It was the entire West's fault to not respond to the annexing of Crimea. That was what made Putin bold. That is not solely a US or Biden thing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/22 at 2:05 pm

How exactly did Biden goad Russia into invading? There were plenty of heads of states in Moscow to talk Putin out of it and pointing out the cost of an invasion for him. He's now getting exactly what was promised to him. The Ukrainian people wanted to become a part of the West and Putin doesn't like it as he fears his own people could want freedom at some point.

It goes back to the coup back in 2014 when the duly elected President of Ukraine was ejected.  US politicians such as the doddering John McCain were on the streets of Kiev, encouraging the overthrow of Yanukovych.  O'bama and Biden were also cheering it on.  Russia saw moves like this to present a NATO threat at their doorstep.  Note that Ukraine is nowhere near the North Atlantic Ocean.

Now... the reality of that coup was that the Ukrainian oligarchs wanted Yanukovych out of power because he wanted a piece of the Ukrainian assets that the oligarchs had plundered... for himself, so guys like Igor Kolomoisky raised private armies.  Note that Kolomoisky was the prime funder of Zelenskyy's presidential campaign, and at present is banned from entry into the United States for money laundering and the plundering of Ukraine's second largest bank.  (I have had personal dealings with some of Kolomoisky's boys, so I have some background here).

In this light... while I do not by any means defend what Russia is doing... it is not much different than the US invasions of Iraq or Libya where thousands of people were killed in the name of unilateral regime change (and those countries were not even on our border).  Granted those actions were not nearly as sloppy as what the Russkies are doing.

I think you overestimate the influence of the US in that area. It was the entire West's fault to not respond to the annexing of Crimea. That was what made Putin bold. That is not solely a US or Biden thing.

O'bama was absolutely correct to not intervene re: The Crimea.  Besides, Crimeans were waving the Russkies in.
Ukraine is not of any strategic interest to the United States.  Too bad he had not similarly not gotten involved in Libya, where we destabilized North Africa and set into motion the mayhem in Mali.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/22 at 2:12 pm

I remember a similar thread back in the mid 2000's after the Katrina surge. Now it's worse.

Where I live in GA it's now averaging around $4.19 for regular unleaded. I heard some places in California it's above $10/gal.

In New York, some gas stations are $4.00 dollars and in others around $5.00.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/05/22 at 3:31 pm

Average price of gas around Nebraska is $4.50 per gallon. I paid $4.19 when I topped off at Costco yesterday.

I've been mulling over riding my electric scooter to and from work, though I'm questioning whether I'd be up for the ride back home if and when I get forced overtime and put in a 12-hour workday (which has been fairly often so far).

Written By: karen on 06/05/22 at 4:30 pm

I think I’ve done the maths right.

In the U.K. it would cost the equivalent of about $26 for a gallon of diesel. Petrol is cheaper at around $7 per US gallon

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/05/22 at 8:46 pm

We're almost at $5 per gallon here. The Governor is contemplating temporarily lifting the state gas tax to stabilize the prices. So far, nothing's  happened. :(

Written By: Elor on 06/06/22 at 4:14 am

In the U.K. it would cost the equivalent of about $26 for a gallon of diesel. Petrol is cheaper at around $7 per US gallon

26$? That can't be right.  :o
According to https://www.mataf.net/en/currency/converter-GBX-GBP?m1=183 the cost for 1 liter of Diesel in the UK is 183 pence or 1,84 pounds. A gallon being around 3.8 liters that would make it about 6,99 pounds per gallon and that would translate to around 8,73 USD per gallon. Seems more realistic to me.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/22 at 6:57 am

Currently, I've seen gas at $2.14/litre  I don't know the conversion from litre to gallons, but with the value of the Canadian dollar vs the US Dollar, gas is still cheaper in the US than it is in Canada

Written By: Contigo on 06/06/22 at 12:33 pm

Currently, I've seen gas at $2.14/litre  I don't know the conversion from litre to gallons, but with the value of the Canadian dollar vs the US Dollar, gas is still cheaper in the US than it is in Canada

That works out to about $8 a gallon. Gas is wayyy cheaper in the US compared to Canada.

Written By: karen on 06/06/22 at 12:58 pm

26$? That can't be right.  :o
According to https://www.mataf.net/en/currency/converter-GBX-GBP?m1=183 the cost for 1 liter of Diesel in the UK is 183 pence or 1,84 pounds. A gallon being around 3.8 liters that would make it about 6,99 pounds per gallon and that would translate to around 8,73 USD per gallon. Seems more realistic to me.

It seemed too high compared to the petrol calculation, but I can’t work out where I went wrong. I was tired and used a paper and pencil to do the maths.

Written By: nally on 06/12/22 at 3:20 pm

So, the other day I had to inevitably pay six bucks for one gallon of gas as I filled up my tank at Costco (which is usually cheaper than all the chain gas stations).

Written By: Howard on 06/12/22 at 4:00 pm

So, the other day I had to inevitably pay six bucks for one gallon of gas as I filled up my tank at Costco (which is usually cheaper than all the chain gas stations).

Wow, That's expensive!  :o

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/13/22 at 1:47 am

I work at a gas station, who better to talk about this topic than me? Every other customer complains at this point & I 100% agree with them. Capitalism just keeps proving itself to be a crap system. I'm seeing truckers regularly fill up for $600 - $800 in one stop. Fuel theft (specifically truckers) has become a relevant enough issue that I experienced it firsthand. A trucker got away with $200 over his prepay on my watch. We're having them all prepay now, or we keep their card hostage while they go out and pump so they have to come back in & pay when they're done

Written By: Contigo on 06/13/22 at 1:21 pm

Funny of the day :

"This morning getting gas, I noticed the car before me got $10 worth of gas on pump 3. Where the hell they going with that? To pump 4?"

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/22 at 1:53 pm

Funny of the day :

"This morning getting gas, I noticed the car before me got $10 worth of gas on pump 3. Where the hell they going with that? To pump 4?"

That is funny  ;D at the same time though I remember when $10 used to fill the tank of the Geo Prism I used to drive in high school, back in the 90's.

Written By: nally on 06/27/22 at 11:27 pm

The prices are starting to go down, it seems, but today at Costco I filled up the tank for $5.99 a gallon. That’s not great, but it’s better than 6-anything per gallon.

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/22 at 12:46 am

Sometimes, even with today's prices, I only get $10 of gas.  I only do that though because lately, I don't drive a lot, and I hope that when I need to gas up again, the price will be cheaper

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/28/22 at 1:05 am

Just a year ago, I could get away with $5 fillups when I was broke or pressed for time. Now it's gotta be at least $15 to be worth the stop

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/28/22 at 9:09 am

The prices are starting to go down, it seems, but today at Costco I filled up the tank for $5.99 a gallon. That’s not great, but it’s better than 6-anything per gallon.

For Calif. that's cheap.  We were paying that last summer in Calif.

Written By: nally on 07/02/22 at 4:29 pm

For Calif. that's cheap.  We were paying that last summer in Calif.

Well it is lower than what it was the previous time I was there.

Written By: nally on 07/13/22 at 8:33 pm

Well it is lower than what it was the previous time I was there.

'Twas even lower last week and again this week. Last week it was $5.79 for regular, and this week $5.49! And this is at the Costco gas station. (That's where I always fill up the tank.)

Written By: nally on 09/25/22 at 11:20 pm

I most recently paid $4.93 for one gallon at Costco; this was a week ago.

Written By: nally on 09/26/22 at 7:38 pm

Oops - they just shot back up again this morning. :o It’s now back over $5 for a gallon here.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/26/22 at 7:41 pm

Oops - they just shot back up again this morning. :o It’s now back over $5 for a gallon here.

Wow you’re really getting hosed. I was in Ohio last week and it was like $3.65 a gallon.

Written By: nally on 09/26/22 at 7:43 pm

Wow you’re really getting hosed. I was in Ohio last week and it was like $3.65 a gallon.

I wish it was that low again in California. Seriously.

I even saw on the local news this morning, a story about gas going back up again.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/22 at 3:38 am

I wish it was that low again in California. Seriously.

I even saw on the local news this morning, a story about gas going back up again.

I wish it was low in New York.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/27/22 at 7:36 am

Last week I filled up at a Shell station where it was just below the $3 dollar mark ($2.99 for regular) in Georgia. That station is usually 20-30 cents cheaper than the nearby ones.

Written By: Wink-182 on 09/27/22 at 9:32 am

It's been slowly going down over this past September where I live, we had a recent move over the summer and I've seen gas as low as 2.88 in some places. I currently reside in Tennessee.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/22 at 3:42 pm

I wish gas was free.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 10/12/22 at 7:22 pm

I wish gas was free.

It should be, along with any food that falls under EBT

Written By: Howard on 10/13/22 at 2:57 am

It should be, along with any food that falls under EBT

But it won't be that way.

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 1:04 pm

$5.95 at Costco when I filled up my tank there two weeks ago; back down to $5.59 when I filled it last week.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/22 at 1:27 pm

$5.95 at Costco when I filled up my tank there two weeks ago; back down to $5.59 when I filled it last week.

You’re getting screwed where you live. I bought gas at $4 bucks in Indianapolis this past week.

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 1:58 pm

You’re getting screwed where you live. I bought gas at $4 bucks in Indianapolis this past week.

I wonder if that's because California is thee most populated state, hence all the demand for fuel. That could be part of it.

4 dollars dollars a gallon doesn't sound half bad, actually.

Written By: nally on 10/22/22 at 10:51 am

$4.87 today at Costco.

Written By: nally on 11/04/22 at 11:56 pm

$4.65 at Costco earlier this week.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/16/22 at 5:40 pm

$3.17 in West Memphis today.

Written By: nally on 11/16/22 at 8:42 pm

It was 18 cents more than this yesterday. :o

Written By: Howard on 11/17/22 at 3:03 am

Over here it was $4.00.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/22 at 5:58 am

Over here it was $4.00.

Wow you guys are getting screwed.  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/17/22 at 6:13 am

2.59 by my office

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/22 at 6:20 am

2.59 by my office

NICE.  8)

Written By: Howard on 11/17/22 at 3:47 pm

Wow you guys are getting screwed.  :o

I'm waiting for gas to be free.

Written By: nally on 11/17/22 at 8:12 pm

Over here it was $4.00.

I would actually like to see it that low again. But I ain't holdin' my breath.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/22 at 3:13 am

I would actually like to see it that low again. But I ain't holdin' my breath.

What's the price of it over there?

Written By: nally on 11/19/22 at 2:58 pm

What's the price of it over there?

In California?

In most “chain” gas stations, such as Shell or Union Oil or Texaco, it’s been over $5 per gallon. At Costco gas stations, however, it’s less than $5.

Written By: nally on 11/27/22 at 9:14 pm

Over here it was $4.00.

Getting lower to that mark at Costco gas stations. Today it was down to $4.19 when I went there to fill the tank.

Written By: nally on 12/16/22 at 12:45 am

$3.89 at Costco earlier this week.

Written By: nally on 12/21/22 at 11:28 pm

$3.89 at Costco earlier this week.

Went back up by a dime yesterday when I filled the tank again.

Subject: Petrol below £1.50 a litre for first time since Russia invaded Ukraine

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/23 at 11:47 am

Average petrol prices have fallen below 150p a litre for the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine, the AA motoring group says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64222643

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/19/23 at 3:56 pm

It's around $3.19 for regular where I live currently.

Written By: nally on 01/29/23 at 3:43 pm

$4.09 when I filled up my tank a few days ago.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/23 at 4:40 pm

Should we also start talking about the price for electricity at public EV charging stations? ???

Written By: nally on 01/29/23 at 5:20 pm

Should we also start talking about the price for electricity at public EV charging stations? ???

I'm not even sure if any of us use such vehicles. I for one don't.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/23 at 5:27 pm

I'm not even sure if any of us use such vehicles. I for one don't.

You never know. We have some pretty hip people on these boards.  8)

The Dunkin’ Donuts near where I live has charging for $0.39-$0.59 per kWh (depending upon the time of day) plus a $0.99 per-charge fee.

Written By: nally on 01/29/23 at 5:27 pm

You never know. We have some pretty hip people on these boards.  8)

The Dunkin’ Donuts near where I live has charging for $0.39-$0.59 per kWh (depending upon the time of day) plus a $0.99 per-charge fee.

That's interesting.

Do you drive one?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/23 at 6:06 pm

That's interesting.

Do you drive one?

My company has an electric truck.

Written By: nally on 01/29/23 at 6:34 pm

My company has an electric truck.

Fair enough. O0

Written By: nally on 02/02/23 at 11:34 pm

$4.09 when I filled up my tank a few days ago.

Same today. (Reminder: this was at Costco, where I always go to fill the tank.)

Written By: nally on 02/13/23 at 9:38 pm

$4.24 this past Friday when I filled up again. That’s 15 cents more than it was a week earlier.

Written By: nally on 05/01/23 at 10:13 pm

Been going up and down lately, mainly fluctuating in the $4 range.

Written By: nally on 05/27/23 at 7:16 pm

The ones at my local Costco have not changed at all in the past few weeks. Each time I have gone to fill the tank, the price has been $4.59/gal.

Check for new replies or respond here...