inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" re-enters Billboard Hot 100, hits Top 10

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/07/22 at 5:13 pm

Thanks to its appearance on Stranger Things, Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" has seen a resurgence in popularity. And now the song, which peaked at #30 in its original run in 1985-1986, has re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 at Number 8.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/07/1103445453/running-up-that-hill-kate-bush-stranger-things

Strangely, Bush was never really big in America. "Hill" was (and is) her only US Top 40 hit. Elsewhere she was just as big as other British acts such as Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Genesis, and The Eurythmics. It took Kate 45 years to truly conquer America, but stranger things have happened.

Subject: Re: Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" re-enters Billboard Hot 100, hits Top 10

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/22 at 5:45 pm

It also recently entered the Canadian chart at #4 and in the UK at #8.  It makes sense to me now why it's back in the chart.  I have not watched Stranger Things yet

Subject: Re: Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" re-enters Billboard Hot 100, hits Top 10

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/22 at 7:40 pm

I will never watch that stupid show.

Written By: nally on 06/07/22 at 8:00 pm

It also recently entered the Canadian chart at #4 and in the UK at #8.  It makes sense to me now why it's back in the chart.  I have not watched Stranger Things yet

Me neither.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/22 at 8:37 pm

I will never watch that stupid show.

How do you know it's stupid if you've never watched it?

Written By: nally on 06/07/22 at 11:20 pm

How do you know it's stupid if you've never watched it?

Maybe he's heard of it/seen previews, and it didn't interest him?

Written By: Howard on 06/08/22 at 3:36 am

Thanks to its appearance on Stranger Things, Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" has seen a resurgence in popularity. And now the song, which peaked at #30 in its original run in 1985-1986, has re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 at Number 8.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/07/1103445453/running-up-that-hill-kate-bush-stranger-things

Strangely, Bush was never really big in America. "Hill" was (and is) her only US Top 40 hit. Elsewhere she was just as big as other British acts such as Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Genesis, and The Eurythmics. It took Kate 45 years to truly conquer America, but stranger things have happened.

Is it because people have never heard of her before?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/10/22 at 11:41 am

Probably the best thing David Gilmore ever did was to discover her. 

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/22 at 2:22 pm

https://img.ifunny.co/images/b0da27af0666ff5f03ef13577311cb50103c88c20c27ff9e29d3d55f1b51f289_1.webp

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/22 at 10:32 am

Maybe he's heard of it/seen previews, and it didn't interest him?

This

Written By: nally on 06/11/22 at 10:51 am

This

I feel similarly about certain things of a similar nature.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/11/22 at 8:03 pm

This

You're missing out. It's a great show. I just started season 2.
---

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/11/1103972132/kate-bush-songs-that-deserve-the-stranger-things-treatment

I nominate "Wuthering Heights" and "Don't Give Up." "Cloudbusting" could work.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/09/22 at 7:38 am

I finally started watching that show. I've been binge watching it and already halfway through Season 4. I recommend it if you're an 80's pop-culture fan as it has a lot of references.

I was just thinking about how the song "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by the Clash didn't have the same type of chart revival success even though it was a big part of Season 1.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/09/22 at 3:21 pm

Gen Z seems to only revive the best old music: Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush, Mariya Takeuchi

Meanwhile millenials are the generation that rehabilitated Journey and Guns N Roses

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/09/22 at 3:59 pm

Gen Z seems to only revive the best old music: Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush, Mariya Takeuchi

Meanwhile millenials are the generation that rehabilitated Journey and Guns N Roses

Is "reviving" old music supposed to be a point of pride for a generation now? Why isn't said generation creating or at least aspiring to create, new music that is on a par with, or surpasses, what you are calling the best? Yet again it is clear to me that the "end of history" theory is being fulfilled. Instead of boldly moving forward into new ideas there is simply an endless, looplike, museum-like caretaking and curating of the old.

And mind you, I COME from the generation of the great music you speak of, and, as such, feel somewhat vindicated that it prevails today. Yet that still doesn't mean I don't want to see younger generations moving boldly forward into new ideas all of their own.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/09/22 at 4:19 pm

Is "reviving" old music supposed to be a point of pride for a generation now? Why isn't said generation creating or at least aspiring to create, new music that is on a par with, or surpasses, what you are calling the best? Yet again it is clear to me that the "end of history" theory is being fulfilled. Instead of boldly moving forward into new ideas there is simply an endless, looplike, museum-like caretaking and curating of the old.

And mind you, I COME from the generation of the great music you speak of, and, as such, feel somewhat vindicated that it prevails today. Yet that still doesn't mean I don't want to see younger generations moving boldly forward into new ideas all of their own.

It does sound like the kind of thing someone on here would boast about, but not me, I was talking in jest.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/12/22 at 12:11 pm

Society is really reminding me of the movie "Ready Player One", the 2018 film which no one has seen about life in the 2040's when people spend most of their time in VR (much like the Metaverse) and are only into pop-culture that is by then dated 50+ years, focused heavily on the 1980's.

Check for new replies or respond here...