inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beyoncé, Drake and the revival of 90s house music

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/21/22 at 9:22 am

Beyoncé, Drake and the revival of 90s house music
www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61878412

Excerpts:

"I'm on that new vibration," sings Beyoncé on her new single, Break My Soul. "I'm buildin' my own foundation."

The foundation of her new sound actually dates back to the diva house movement of the 1990s, with its deep grooves, soaring melodies and insistent four-four beats.

The release of Break My Soul comes just a couple of days after Drake's similarly club-inspired new album, Honestly, Nevermind.

Tracks like Falling Back and Massive also draw on the hypnotic bass and chunky piano chords of 90s house, with Drake enlisting an all-star cast of house and electronic music producers like Gordo, Rampa, Black Coffee and Alex Lustig.

There are dozens of different genres that Drizzy and Queen Bey could have chosen to soundtrack their dancefloor escapades. But both are smart enough to know the extra cultural weight that house carries.

It emerged in a Chicago venue called The Warehouse, which initially operated as a members-only club almost exclusively frequented by black and Latin-American gay men.

"It wasn't meant for straight people at all," recalled house pioneer Jesse Saunders last year. "We're talking the '70s. When you're young, Black, Latino and gay, you have no place in Chicago, because Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country, if not the world. Nobody wants you in their club. Nobody wants you partying. So they built their own... just for gay men, not even gay women."

The music's origins in black and queer spaces has often been overlooked. But Beyoncé makes it explicit in Break My Soul, embellishing her familiar theme of self-empowerment with a rap from Big Freedia, who has been a fierce advocate for LGBTQ+ rights after experiencing homophobia in the early days of her career.

"We weren't treated equally, being that we were gay," she told Billboard magazine last year. "We were working for chump change. Over time, things started to change, but in the beginning, it was not so easy. It was not so accepting.

Subject: Re: Beyoncé, Drake and the revival of 90s house music

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/21/22 at 10:52 am

So this might be the new sound of the summer/2nd half of 2022.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/21/22 at 11:12 am

So this might be the new sound of the summer/2nd half of 2022.

Do you mean the new old sound?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/21/22 at 11:19 am

Do you mean the new old sound?

Yeah, you can call it that. Much like how retro pop was the sound of late 2019-now even though it was inspired by 80's synth pop.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/21/22 at 11:45 am

Yeah, you can call it that. Much like how retro pop was the sound of late 2019-now even though it was inspired by 80's synth pop.

Correct. But people have been posting elsewhere on this board that they don't like Drake's new album and that he has jumped the shark, so to speak. So maybe people will refuse the new/old sound of the summer/2nd half of 2022. 

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/21/22 at 12:09 pm

Correct. But people have been posting elsewhere on this board that they don't like Drake's new album and that he has jumped the shark, so to speak. So maybe people will refuse the new/old sound of the summer/2nd half of 2022.

Possibly. However I kind of like Beyonce's single so it just has to be done right.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/22 at 8:54 pm

I'll have to listen to it when I get home. Hopefully it won't suck. I don't have my hopes up though.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/21/22 at 10:56 pm

The song itself is decent. But I'm mad. We need NEW styles!!

Written By: Slim95 on 06/24/22 at 12:16 am

I can't find the song on YouTube so I haven't heard. If it ain't on YouTube I don't think there's any chance of it reaching any success..

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 7:56 am

I can't find the song on YouTube so I haven't heard. If it ain't on YouTube I don't think there's any chance of it reaching any success..

yjki-9Pthh0

There's no official MV (yet anyways) but here's a lyric video. It's also in the 2022: the year in music thread. It is widely discussed on social media and mention in tabloids so it might be popular. We'll see how it does in the charts.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 7:59 am

I can't remember if it was here or an article from Google news feed, but that song samples this one:

Ps2Jc28tQrw

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/24/22 at 10:49 am

I keep seeing this commercial over and over -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7kXY6EbFp0

I'd say the song qualifies as 90's House.  And the primary target audience - I'm pretty sure it's not 50-year-olds!  ;D
(Not to say they wouldn't be happy selling Mike's to 50 year olds, but...)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 11:07 am

I keep seeing this commercial over and over -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7kXY6EbFp0

I'd say the song qualifies as 90's House.  And the primary target audience - I'm pretty sure it's not 50-year-olds!  ;D
(Not to say they wouldn't be happy selling Mike's to 50 year olds, but...)

Yes, that was a song by Snap! ("I Got the Power" was their other  hit song).

Earlier this year the song "Good Luck" by Mabel seemed to have that sound.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/25/22 at 8:50 pm

yjki-9Pthh0

There's no official MV (yet anyways) but here's a lyric video. It's also in the 2022: the year in music thread. It is widely discussed on social media and mention in tabloids so it might be popular. We'll see how it does in the charts.

I thought it was featuring Drake?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/25/22 at 8:51 pm

Nevermind, I got confused. Anyways I don't like the song. I'm sure whatever Drake puts out won't be impressive either.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/26/22 at 11:02 pm

Nevermind, I got confused. Anyways I don't like the song. I'm sure whatever Drake puts out won't be impressive either.

He already put it out. Or should I say crapped it out. It's crap

Written By: anemoiasorrow on 06/26/22 at 11:16 pm

At first, I thought that the house sound featured on Drake's album may become the dominant sound for the next few years. However, up until this point, the most successful song from the album is the only song on the album that does NOT feature the house sound, Jimmy Cooks. According to HDD, it outdid the #2 song, Sticky (also by Drake), by nearly 13 million streams. Seeing this, it's hard to believe that the public has gotten tired of the trap sound and is ready for a full-on house revival.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/27/22 at 4:12 am

There is no house revival. It was just a fluke. People are craving more upbeat fun music tho. But it needs to be a new style (I wish hyperpop but that seems to be TOO interesting for the masses)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/27/22 at 8:59 am

Either way I have a feeling the music going into the second half of the year is going to suck. I think most of the good music of the year dropped in the first half (mostly in Q2).

Check for new replies or respond here...