inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2022: The year in news

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/22 at 9:26 am

I thought I'd create this thread to add news stories/current events rather than to the "2022 sucks" thread. Once again that thread (which I originally started with the invasion of Ukraine started) will just be more for general venting. For this thread, it's for news that may or may not effect us directly, can be bad or good, major or minor (may be something 2022 will be membered for or not), and not necessarily limited to politics and controversies. I'm not sure if there is a thread or sub-forum for general current events.

I'll start it off with the recent earthquake in Afghanistan that killed more than 1000.

Subject: Re: 2022: The year in news

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/22 at 10:15 am

Are posts to this thread to be of the “non sucks” variety? ???

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/23/22 at 10:27 am

SCOTUS just lowered the separation between church and state, again

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/22 at 11:11 am

Are posts to this thread to be of the “non sucks” variety? ???

No, as I said in my OP, they can be good or bad news. Granted most of the news is bad.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/22 at 11:15 am

SCOTUS just lowered the separation between church and state, again

You mean by overturning the requirement to have a license to carry a gun? Lol

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/22 at 11:36 am

SCOTUS is OK with a license,  but the rules that New York established in order to get one were struck down.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/22 at 3:20 pm

The war in Russia and The Ukraine
Monkeypox

Written By: Sman12 on 06/23/22 at 8:44 pm

Rise in mass shootings in the U.S. (Buffalo, NY and Uvalde, TX, to be exact)

Baby formula shortage

High inflation (especially gas prices)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/22 at 9:41 pm

Tomorrow night the five planets of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn will be lined up in one sky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/22 at 4:41 am

Rail strikes in the UK could possibly continue.

British Airways staff at London Heathrow Airport to go on strike next month.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 7:52 am

Also updates from the January 6 trial can be posted here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/22 at 10:34 am

UK Covid infections continuing to rise

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 12:23 pm

SCOTUS has officially overturned Roe v. Wade. That could be good or bad news depending on how you look at it. All I can say is the prayers of one person I knew from my old Bible study group about 20 years ago have been answered.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/24/22 at 12:42 pm

^ Also the pastor of my church posted on his social media page in a mood for celebration. Meanwhile many are posting their feelings of resentment and disgust.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/22 at 12:51 pm

The Glastonbury Festival has opened with a video message from Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/22 at 3:04 pm

UK Covid infections continuing to rise

What does that mean for The U.S.?  ???

Written By: Howard on 06/24/22 at 3:05 pm

Bringing in more security cameras on trains, but what does that say about the buses too?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/22 at 6:20 am

Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen join Paul McCartney at Glastonbury

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/22 at 2:24 pm

Roe Vs.Wade
Wasn't that in 1973?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/26/22 at 2:30 pm

Wasn't that in 1973?

The reversal of it

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/22 at 2:36 pm

The reversal of it
Thank you.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/27/22 at 9:15 am

No, by requiring states that tuition students through a "school choice" program to allow parents to send their kids to religious schools on the public dime

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/27/22 at 12:17 pm

No, by requiring states that tuition students through a "school choice" program to allow parents to send their kids to religious schools on the public dime

I was joking. Actually I thought you were referring to the Roe v. Wade reversal.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/28/22 at 6:32 am

An Amtrak train in Missouri derailed causing 3 fatalities.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/22 at 6:50 am

An Amtrak train in Missouri derailed causing 3 fatalities.

And also 46 migrants were found in San Antonio TX.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/22 at 9:32 am

Serena Williams loses to Harmony Tan on Wimbledon return after year out

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/22 at 12:46 pm

Japan swelters in worst heatwave ever recorded

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/22 at 2:17 pm

R. Kelly given 30 years in jail in sex abuse case

Written By: Howard on 06/29/22 at 3:14 pm

Ghislane Maxwell gets 30 years in jail.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 4:30 am

Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 7:21 am

Revellers fill London for 50th anniversary of the Pride March

Written By: karen on 07/02/22 at 8:52 am

And also 46 migrants were found in San Antonio TX.

The bodies were found in a truck.

I thought more comment would be made on this horrible story.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 11:57 am

Jerry Hall files for divorce from Rupert Murdoch

Written By: Howard on 07/02/22 at 2:47 pm

A woman gets shot while strolling her baby.  :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/02/22 at 6:53 pm

I haven't heard anything about that.

A woman gets shot while strolling her baby.  :(

I did hear about that, in the UWS of Manhattan. Supposedly it was a domestic incident, I'm guessing a jealous ex-boyfriend of the victim or something like that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 1:00 am

Wimbledon: Nick Kyrgios and Stefanos Tsitsipas argue at All England Club

Written By: karen on 07/03/22 at 2:58 am

Here is a follow up to the original news story the BBC published at the beginning of the week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62018517

The suspected driver of a truck where 53 migrants died from heat in Texas did not know that the air conditioner had stopped working, court documents say.
Homero Zamorano, 45, was found hiding near the truck on Monday, officials say. He is one of four people charged.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/22 at 3:35 am

I did hear about that, in the UWS of Manhattan. Supposedly it was a domestic incident, I'm guessing a jealous ex-boyfriend of the victim or something like that.

I'm thinking it was an jealous ex-boyfriend or it could that they were fighting over something else.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 4:39 am

Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/22 at 10:13 am

From the Rutland Herald, big Vermont news - Cloths line breaks - Cat runs away

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/22 at 11:13 am

Here is a follow up to the original news story the BBC published at the beginning of the week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62018517

The suspected driver of a truck where 53 migrants died from heat in Texas did not know that the air conditioner had stopped working, court documents say.
Homero Zamorano, 45, was found hiding near the truck on Monday, officials say. He is one of four people charged.

My line of business causes me to conduct various transactions in the City of Laredo, where the now-deceased people are believed to have been packed into the van.

I can tell you that Laredo is a human sewer, rife with corruption at pretty much all levels, from workers to government officials, to top executives.  Worse than Baltimore MD where I also conduct business and where we have to deal with engrained corruption.  If you don't watch your back in Laredo, your pocket will be picked, and you will be screwed over in some way, shape, or form.  Does not matter if you are an "outsider" or if you lived there all your life.

A coworker of mine grew up in Laredo and I once asked him "Jose, how is it that you are one of the very few people in Laredo I know that is not corrupt?"  He responded "LyricBoy, when I was about 18 I decided I had to make a choice.  Either I would sell drugs and likely be in prison or dead before I was 30, or I had to decide to live a straight life.  My uncle went the drug route and now he's in prison for life.  I didn't want that for me."

So I am not surprised at the least... that somebody there would pack 50+ people into a hot van to their deaths.  In a town as corrupted as Laredo, this sort of thing is going to happen sooner or later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 1:00 pm

British Grand Prix: Carlos Sainz wins after huge Zhou Guanyu crash

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/03/22 at 1:53 pm

Several people have been injured in a shooting at a mall in Copenhagen, Denmark. That is big news to happen in a city like that, unlike in an American city.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/22 at 2:45 pm

Several people have been injured in a shooting at a mall in Copenhagen, Denmark. That is big news to happen in a city like that, unlike in an American city.

Would this happen to be a mass shooting?

Written By: karen on 07/03/22 at 3:02 pm

Several killed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62030919

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/22 at 3:29 pm

From the Rutland Herald, big Vermont news - Cloths line breaks - Cat runs away

There is a weekly comic strip called The Teeds by politician cartoonist Jeff Danziger. Those headlines always appear in the strip.

https://www.rutlandherald.com/features/weekend_magazine/teeds/image_f34e7bf9-6a9a-52ee-9647-4b9893d87dc8.html

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/03/22 at 3:41 pm

Would this happen to be a mass shooting?

By definition, yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/22 at 2:18 am

The city's police chief, Soeren Thomassen, says the suspect was known to mental health services.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/22 at 3:32 am

By definition, yes.

It figures!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/22 at 5:00 am

Covid: UK hospital cases set to rise, says health chief

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/22 at 8:04 am

A fleeing suspect in Akron sustained 60 gunshot wounds (out of ~90 fired) at the end of a police chase.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/us/jayland-walker-police-shooting-video/index.html

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/04/22 at 9:28 am

A fleeing suspect in Akron sustained 60 gunshot wounds (out of ~90 fired) at the end of a police chase.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/us/jayland-walker-police-shooting-video/index.html

That sounds like rather poor shooting, only 66% hits

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/22 at 10:41 am

Especially if you figure that he was on the ground after probably the first 4 or 5 shots.

Apparently, he was not a very good shot either... The popo have footage from a traffic camera showing a muzzle flash from when he fired upon the cop cars during the chase (along with a spent shell found in the area, and his gun in the car).  Bottom line, you start shooting at the cops (even if you later abandon your weapon and start hoofing it wearing your ski mask in July), you can't be surprised when it starts raining lead. But like they say "you can't fix stupid".

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/22 at 11:02 am

Sri Lanka energy minister warns petrol stocks about to run dry

Written By: Elor on 07/04/22 at 11:07 am

That's actually pretty good in a combat situation.... :-X
(didn't read the article though so I don't know what exactly went down).

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/04/22 at 1:58 pm

Of course it wouldn't be 2022 without a 4th of July parade getting ruined by a mass shooting. This one happened in Highland Park, IL, a suburb of Chicago.

Written By: JimiBoy04 on 07/04/22 at 2:01 pm

Of course it wouldn't be 2022 without a 4th of July parade getting ruined by a mass shooting. This one happened in Highland Park, IL, a suburb of Chicago.

I knew something was going to happen today to be honest. It's America, the only thing we have to offer is anti-abortion laws and people shooting at each other.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/22 at 2:14 pm

Why are they always shooting police?  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/04/22 at 2:16 pm

And the one in Copenhagen Denmark.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/04/22 at 3:48 pm

So sad    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

I don't live close to Highland Park, but have visited there mostly to go to Ravinia Festival (popular outdoor concert spot).  The area is quite affluent and generally low in crime.  Many Chicagoland folks visit there, primarily for Ravinia (which draws from all over town).

Here's the latest from the Daily Herald -
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20220704/massive-manhunt-continues-for-gunman-who-killed-6-people-at-highland-park-parade

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/22 at 5:46 pm

I don't live close to Highland Park, but have visited there mostly to go to Ravinia Festival (popular outdoor concert spot).  The area is quite affluent and generally low in crime.  Many Chicagoland folks visit there, primarily for Ravinia (which draws from all over town).

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20220704/massive-manhunt-continues-for-gunman-who-killed-6-people-at-highland-park-parade

The suspected perp is known as “Awake the Rapper”.  ::)

tpBBAH7uh4s

Written By: Howard on 07/05/22 at 7:02 am

I don't understand these mass shootings anymore, this has just become a Wild West culture where people are able to shoot whoever and whatever is in their target. :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/05/22 at 10:02 am

I don't understand these mass shootings anymore, this has just become a Wild West culture where people are able to shoot whoever and whatever is in their target. :(

I don't understand it either. I guess people are that crazy now, after 2+ years of the pandemic and now uncertainty about the future with inflation and possible recession, and the Ukraine war images have been disturbing as well, along with the other mass shooting incidents.

Written By: Elor on 07/05/22 at 10:39 am

I don't understand it either. I guess people are that crazy now, after 2+ years of the pandemic and now uncertainty about the future with inflation and possible recession, and the Ukraine war images have been disturbing as well, along with the other mass shooting incidents.
It seems the value of a human life has decreased in the eyes of most. That makes it easier to take one or more.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/22 at 1:29 pm

I think there will be another mass shooting.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/05/22 at 3:41 pm

I think there will be another mass shooting.

Probably within the next week. Meanwhile in Philly there was a shooting that involved 2 police officers.

Back to the Highland Park incident, the death toll is up to 7 and supposedly it was planned for weeks by the suspect.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/22 at 3:33 am

Probably within the next week. Meanwhile in Philly there was a shooting that involved 2 police officers.

Back to the Highland Park incident, the death toll is up to 7 and supposedly it was planned for weeks by the suspect.

This is terrible, nothing will stop this and probably no one will ever will.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/22 at 7:53 am

Pound slides to two-year low against the dollar

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/06/22 at 9:59 am

It seems the value of a human life has decreased in the eyes of most. That makes it easier to take one or more.

I wouldn't say most, not even many, but there are some nut jobs out there, and we do seem to be in the middle of an epidemic of shootings.  And, of course, these AR15's are really viscous

Written By: karen on 07/06/22 at 10:03 am

This is terrible, nothing will stop this and probably no one will ever will.

Well, better gun control laws might help...

Written By: Howard on 07/06/22 at 3:08 pm

You know, I sure hope so.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/07/22 at 6:23 am

Boris Johnson announced his resignation today.

Written By: Elor on 07/07/22 at 10:47 pm

Former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe was severely injured in an attack.

Written By: karen on 07/07/22 at 11:26 pm

He was shot while giving a speech in support of a candidate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62089486

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/08/22 at 5:22 am

He died from it  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/22 at 5:23 am

He was shot while giving a speech in support of a candidate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62089486

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/08/22 at 5:39 am

That type of incident is rare in Japan. There are less shootings in Japan in an entire year than in one day in the US, and probably even some states or even cities.

Written By: Elor on 07/08/22 at 9:10 am

Abe has succumbed to his injuries.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/08/asia/shinzo-abe-former-japan-pm-death-intl-hnk/index.html

That type of incident is rare in Japan. There are less shootings in Japan in an entire year than in one day in the US, and probably even some states or even cities.
There are people who are against seat belt laws and point out every time someone with a seat belt died to" proof" that  they are "useless" while completely ignoring the bigger picture of the overall significant decrease in fatalities. There are the same people in the gun control debate....

Written By: Howard on 07/08/22 at 3:09 pm

Japan I always thought was a working country.

Written By: Elor on 07/09/22 at 2:31 am

BTW German news sites mentioned that gun deaths in Japan are single digits per year in a country with around 120 million... Yes, single digits per year. Less than 10! I would say their gun control works almost perfectly there.
Forbes also confirms this:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/07/08/heres-how-japans-low-gun-death-rate-compares-to-the-us-and-other-countries/?sh=796c427158c4

Just look at those homicide rates per country.... :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/09/22 at 6:07 am

BTW German news sites mentioned that gun deaths in Japan are single digits per year in a country with around 120 million... Yes, single digits per year. Less than 10! I would say their gun control works almost perfectly there.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/07/08/heres-how-japans-low-gun-death-rate-compares-to-the-us-and-other-countries/?sh=796c427158c4

In 2021 there was only 1 homicide by gun in the entire country!

Written By: karen on 07/09/22 at 4:04 pm

Think about how many shootings there are in Japan and then consider that maybe their gun control laws work

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/22 at 4:31 pm

I'm actually surprised that there are countries who have higher homicides that the U.S.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/22 at 5:46 pm

I'm actually surprised that there are countries who have higher homicides that the U.S.

Cat

All the murder rates on that web page are for wimps. When I lived in Gary Indiana, with a population of roughly 100,000, when I first moved there we had 49 murders. My last year we had 130. Bangers in Gary don’t mess around.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/09/22 at 6:11 pm

The Rogers Blackout in Canada is a definite sign of a shift.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/09/22 at 6:54 pm

The Rogers Blackout in Canada is a definite sign of a shift.

I don't see why. People are way too loose with this "shift" business here. "Oh my God, I've got a hangnail, a big cultural shift is coming!". I never even heard of the "Rogers Blackout" until you mentioned it and I looked it up. It looks like they straightened the whole thing out pretty quickly.

Historically blackouts have not been known to cause shifts. The big daddy of them all was the famed "Blackout of 1965" (which I remember, by the way) which affected seven US states and a chuck of Canada along the Eastern seaboard. So massive was this thing that urban legends arouse that it was caused by UFOs. It turns out it was a power grid issue, but I like the UFO story. If a blackout that affected a big portion of the Eastern seaboard and was possibly caused by a UFO didn't bring about a shift, I doubt an eight hour Canadian blackout will.  :D

Another big one was the New York City blackout of 1977 which knocked power out for two days which resulted in widespread looting and arson. It became known as "the night of terror". That one was dangerous but it didn't bring any shifts.

And then there was The Northeast blackout of 2003, a widespread power outage throughout parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern US, and most parts of the Canadian province of Ontario.  Again New York was affected, but this time there was very little looting and things remained peaceful, unlike 1977. New Yorkers even seemed to enjoy getting out of their hot apartments and camping in Central Park, something that is otherwise unheard of.

So don't look for any shifts due to a blackout just now.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/22 at 3:35 am

I don't see why. People are way too loose with this "shift" business here. "Oh my God, I've got a hangnail, a big cultural shift is coming!". I never even heard of the "Rogers Blackout" until you mentioned it and I looked it up. It looks like they straightened the whole thing out pretty quickly.

Historically blackouts have not been known to cause shifts. The big daddy of them all was the famed "Blackout of 1965" (which I remember, by the way) which affected seven US states and a chuck of Canada along the Eastern seaboard. So massive was this thing that urban legends arouse that it was caused by UFOs. It turns out it was a power grid issue, but I like the UFO story. If a blackout that affected a big portion of the Eastern seaboard and was possibly caused by a UFO didn't bring about a shift, I doubt an eight hour Canadian blackout will.  :D

Another big one was the New York City blackout of 1977 which knocked power out for two days which resulted in widespread looting and arson. It became known as "the night of terror". That one was dangerous but it didn't bring any shifts.

And then there was The Northeast blackout of 2003, a widespread power outage throughout parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern US, and most parts of the Canadian province of Ontario.  Again New York was affected, but this time there was very little looting and things remained peaceful, unlike 1977. New Yorkers even seemed to enjoy getting out of their hot apartments and camping in Central Park, something that is otherwise unheard of.

And it's coming up on the 45th Anniversary of the '77 Blackout.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/11/22 at 12:35 pm

You mean the blackout of 1977 isn't what started disco? Lol. Or was it disco that caused the blackout with all the lights?  :D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/11/22 at 1:21 pm

You mean the blackout of 1977 isn't what started disco? Lol. Or was it disco that caused the blackout with all the lights?  :D

No, but tons of babies were born exactly nine months after the blackout.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/22 at 2:22 pm

I don't remember this one even though I was effected by it. I do remember the 10th anniversary when a local radio station had people call and to answer the question, "Where were you when the lights went out?" I remember one guy said that he got in trouble because his parents thought that he was messing with the circuit breakers which caused the blackout. lol. 

That one I remember. I was at my sister's in Connecticut (in the New Haven area). I think it was one of my sister's boyfriend and a few of his friends were watching a movie on Channel 11 out of NYC when the station turned to static. They were p!ssed because I think there was only about 15 minutes left of the movie. They turned the channel and all the NYC channels were out but the local network ones had a "Please Stand By" on it. I KNEW something was up.

Then a bunch of us left to go to a local carnival that was in town. As we drove past the beach (right on Long Island Sound) I remember seeing lightning flashes toward Long Island. I think someone in the car said it was heat lightning. They had the radio on in the car. When the news came on, I heard something about NYC but the driver (a friend of my sisters) changed the channel. I don't know if I said that I wanted to hear that but I was low man on the totem pole so my wants didn't matter. It wasn't until AFTER we went to the carnival that they FINALLY let the news play on the car radio that I could hear what happened.

We just had a power surge for that one. It was like, "Did the lights just blink?"

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/11/22 at 2:58 pm

And the Trammps had a song entitled "Where Were You When The Lights Went Out In New York City".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/11/22 at 3:12 pm

I don't remember this one even though I was effected by it. I do remember the 10th anniversary when a local radio station had people call and to answer the question, "Where were you when the lights went out?" I remember one guy said that he got in trouble because his parents thought that he was messing with the circuit breakers which caused the blackout. lol. 

The TV show "Bewitched" did a whole episode based on the Blackout of 65. They had it caused by the faltering witchcraft of bumbling Aunt Clara. ;D  It was called "The Short Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara". One of my favorite episodes!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/22 at 3:51 pm

The TV show "Bewitched" did a whole episode based on the Blackout of 65. They had it caused by the faltering witchcraft of bumbling Aunt Clara. ;D  It was called "The Short Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara". One of my favorite episodes!

;D ;D ;D

I'm gonna have to check that one out. I'm SURE I have seen it but don't remember it.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/22 at 6:10 am

At least 40 people missing from the flooding in Virginia.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/22 at 2:32 pm

At least 40 people missing from the flooding in Virginia.

And also the boat that capsized too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/15/22 at 5:19 am

Ivana, Donald Trump's first wife and Ivanka's mother passed away yesterday.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/15/22 at 9:54 am

Ivana, Donald Trump's first wife and Ivanka's mother passed away yesterday.

She "fell" down a flight of stairs

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/22 at 12:45 pm

The New York authorities are investigating her “death”.  :-X

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/15/22 at 2:36 pm

London is experiencing a record breaking heat wave

Written By: karen on 07/15/22 at 2:48 pm

London is experiencing a record breaking heat wave

We are due to have temperatures around 40 degrees C next week

Written By: Howard on 07/15/22 at 2:51 pm

The New York authorities are investigating her “death”.  :-X

Hope they don't blame it on Donald.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/22 at 8:42 pm

The medical examiner’s office has determined that she died from “accidental” blunt force trauma from her “fall” down the stairs.  :-X. No mention or even hinting of fowl play.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ivana-trumps-death-determined-accidental-medical-examiner-says

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/15/22 at 8:49 pm

The medical examiner’s office has determined that she died from “accidental” blunt force trauma from her “fall” down the stairs.  :-X. No mention or even hinting of fowl play.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ivana-trumps-death-determined-accidental-medical-examiner-says

Do you mean foul play?

https://external-preview.redd.it/oqZAghpS1Wvvdq5SgUtR8gXLgxT1DWo64PFtAwYhzQA.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=13ebe62da092e243042baf27c1848d4272cc75cf

Written By: Howard on 07/16/22 at 6:51 am

There's no way Donald would have anything to do with this.  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/22 at 7:51 am

We are due to have temperatures around 40 degrees C next week

The climate crisis is starting to look really dire now, but not enough for US Senator Joe Manchin to support combating it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/22 at 8:01 am

The climate crisis is starting to look really dire now, but not enough for US Senator Joe Manchin to support combating it.

That’s because Joe Manchin realizes that the Dems want to keep pouring gasoline on the inflation fire, and he don’t play with that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/22 at 8:29 am

That’s because Joe Manchin realizes that the Dems want to keep pouring gasoline on the inflation fire, and he don’t play with that.

Yeah, there is little we can do to stop or even slow down the climate crisis, especially at this point. It would have ended up spending billions just to put patches.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/16/22 at 9:34 am

That's because Joe "the coal guy" is financed by the fossil fuel industry

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/22 at 3:28 pm

That's because Joe "the coal guy" is financed by the fossil fuel industry

Hey the coal industry is all for zero carbon.

I just attended an industry event this week where a lady from one of the big coal companies presented their plan to be “zero carbon” in the extraction of coal by 2025. She was very convincing…

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/22 at 9:52 am

Hey the coal industry is all for zero carbon.

I just attended an industry event this week where a lady from one of the big coal companies presented their plan to be “zero carbon” in the extraction of coal by 2025. She was very convincing…

What about in the burning?  But regardless, this has nothing to do with Manchin

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/22 at 12:47 pm

What about in the burning?  But regardless, this has nothing to do with Manchin

Yeah she left out the part about the burning. I wanted to stand up and say “Hey lady, we are not as stupid as we apparently look.”

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 6:02 am

Another mass shooting, at a shopping mall in Indiana that killed three and injured two.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 6:07 am

The UK is gearing up for what could be its hottest day in history, with temperatures forecast to top 40C (104F) this week.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/18/22 at 9:42 am

Another mass shooting, at a shopping mall in Indiana that killed three and injured two.

And shooter was killed by a bystander.  One in 10,000 good guy.  Unlike Uvalde, where 400 "good guys" stood around pissing their pants doing nothing while the shooter had his way with a bunch of kids

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 10:14 am

And shooter was killed by a bystander.  One in 10,000 good guy.  Unlike Uvalde, where 400 "good guys" stood around pissing their pants doing nothing while the shooter had his way with a bunch of kids

That was good. In that case it could have turned out to be a whole lot worse. Meanwhile Uvalde was an utter display of incompetence. Apparently you can watch the 77 minute video from the security cameras.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 12:53 pm

The UK is gearing up for what could be its hottest day in history, with temperatures forecast to top 40C (104F) this week.

I hear flights at Heathrow are canceled due to the runway melting. It is described as a "heat apocalypse". Also fires in France and Spain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 1:10 pm

I hear flights at Heathrow are canceled due to the runway melting. It is described as a "heat apocalypse". Also fires in France and Spain.
It is mayhem out there, and will continue tomorrow.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/22 at 1:35 pm

It is mayhem out there, and will continue tomorrow.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if you could fry an egg on the pavement.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 1:38 pm

It would be an interesting experiment to see if you could fry an egg on the pavement.
Do you need the correct cooking oil first.

I heard people fried eggs on car bonnets, but never seen it done.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/22 at 2:52 pm

I wonder Bat, have all 50 states been covered yet or are we missing any?

Written By: Howard on 07/18/22 at 2:54 pm

How hot does the pavement have to be in order to do the experiment?  ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 3:07 pm

I wonder Bat, have all 50 states been covered yet or are we missing any?

Maybe Hawaii, Maine, and Vermont haven't had any. I have to find the link that tracks the data of all the mass shootings. I think I may have shared the link in the other thread.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/22 at 6:27 pm

Maybe Hawaii, Maine, and Vermont haven't had any. I have to find the link that tracks the data of all the mass shootings. I think I may have shared the link in the other thread.

1999 Honolulu mass shooting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Honolulu_shootings

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 8:12 pm

1999 Honolulu mass shooting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Honolulu_shootings

I thought he was just talking about this year. The high profile ones we know about were in Texas, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, South Carolina, and a few others.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/22 at 3:35 am

I thought he was just talking about this year. The high profile ones we know about were in Texas, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, South Carolina, and a few others.

Yes, That's what I meant, Sorry if I forgot to explain myself.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/19/22 at 9:53 am

Vermont just missed 1 a few years ago, and it was aimed at my local high school.  A friend of the would be shooter tipped off the cops just in time

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/22 at 10:28 am

Fires are now raging in areas of the suburbs of London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/22 at 4:34 am

Fires are now raging in areas of the suburbs of London.
London Fire Brigade had busiest day since World War Two, says London mayor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/22 at 4:48 am

EuroMillions: UK ticket-holder wins record £195m jackpot

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/20/22 at 12:41 pm

AOC and Ilhan Omar were arrested outside the Supreme Court during an abortion rights protest yesterday.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/22 at 12:50 pm

AOC and Ilhan Omar were arrested outside the Supreme Court during an abortion rights protest yesterday.

They kind of pretended they were handcuffed even though they were not. I think they considered it a photo op. Typical politicians.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/aoc-fakes-being-handcuffed-after-abortion-rights-protest-arrest/

Written By: Howard on 07/20/22 at 2:48 pm

The heatwave for most of the 50 states.

Written By: karen on 07/20/22 at 4:49 pm

Inflation in the U.K. has hit a 40 year high of 9.4%

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/21/22 at 9:19 am

They kind of pretended they were handcuffed even though they were not. I think they considered it a photo op. Typical politicians.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/aoc-fakes-being-handcuffed-after-abortion-rights-protest-arrest/

Rupert Murdoch's NY Post would say this.  Watch the video, jn the last frames, where she is blocked from the camera by a cop, she raises her right fist in defiance - clearly NOT pretending she is cuffed

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/21/22 at 9:42 am

Rupert Murdoch's NY Post would say this.  Watch the video, jn the last frames, where she is blocked from the camera by a cop, she raises her right fist in defiance - clearly NOT pretending she is cuffed

Still a photo op. Lots of video and still photos taken before fist raise. She absolutely knew what she was doing.

https://www.newsweek.com/aocs-feigned-handcuffs-reveal-politicians-have-become-influencers-nothing-more-opinion-1726177

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/22 at 10:29 am

US President Joe Biden 'doing fine' after testing positive for Covid.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/22/22 at 9:17 am

Still a photo op. Lots of video and still photos taken before fist raise. She absolutely knew what she was doing.

https://www.newsweek.com/aocs-feigned-handcuffs-reveal-politicians-have-become-influencers-nothing-more-opinion-1726177

Of course she did, but that's not the  point.  The point is that Rupert Murdoch's rag would try to portray her in the worst possible light.  Sorry I didn't make that clearer

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/22 at 2:52 am

Joe Biden got the virus I think 2022 will be remembered for that.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/22 at 7:12 am

Joe Biden got the virus I think 2022 will be remembered for that.

And The dangerous heatwave.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/23/22 at 9:10 am

Steve Bannon found guilty!

LOCK HIM UP

For a long time

Written By: karen on 07/23/22 at 10:45 am

The BBC reckons he will get up to two years plus a fine of up to $200,000.

He apparently has a “bullet-proof appeal”. Although if his case is that good why was he found guilty in the first place?

Written By: karen on 07/23/22 at 10:48 am

The monkey pox outbreak has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organisation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62279436

Health officials are recommending people in high risk groups should get a vaccine

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/26/22 at 6:11 am

The wildfires near Yosemite NP in California have been spreading, up to 17K acres now.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/26/22 at 8:56 am

The wildfires near Yosemite NP in California have been spreading, up to 17K acres now.

Caused by Jewish space rays no doubt

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/27/22 at 10:48 am

US President Joe Biden 'doing fine' after testing positive for Covid.

He now tested negative and is about to make a speech on the WH rose garden. I wonder if he'll remove his mask and throw it on the ground like Trump did on the balcony after he recovered from COVID, lol

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/27/22 at 2:34 pm

The monkey pox outbreak has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organisation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62279436

Health officials are recommending people in high risk groups should get a vaccine

That's like deja vu of January 2020 when COVID-19 was declared a global health emergency. At this rate will that mean monkeypox will be in pandemic status by September 2022?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/28/22 at 10:18 am

Northern Philippines had big earthquake, measuring 7.0.

Written By: Elor on 07/28/22 at 12:11 pm

At this rate will that mean monkeypox will be in pandemic status by September 2022?

Unlikely. You need prolonged physical contact to catch it. So it's not going to spread like Covid.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/22 at 1:40 pm

Unlikely. You need prolonged physical contact to catch it. So it's not going to spread like Covid.

That's good to know, let's hope not.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/28/22 at 8:45 pm

How about some good news for a change.  Astronomy lovers, we're receiving some amazing images from the new James Webb space telescope that launched on Christmas '21, images that weren't available before.  Cool stuff!

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-new-most-distant-galaxies

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/02/22 at 9:54 am

Breaking news: Speaker Pelosi has arrived in Taiwan.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/04/22 at 9:38 am

Breaking news: Speaker Pelosi has arrived in Taiwan.

Increasing tensions between the USA and China.

Kansas voters overwhelmingly reject anti-forced pregnancy initiative

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/04/22 at 11:42 am

Brittney Griner has been sentenced to 9 years in a Russian jail for drug smuggling, CBD oil which is legal in most US states.

Written By: Elor on 08/04/22 at 11:48 am

which is legal in most US states.

Doesn't matter one bit. It's illegal in Russia. She nicely managed to turn herself into a bargaining chip for Putin. Well done.... ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/04/22 at 2:06 pm

Brittney Griner has been sentenced to 9 years in a Russian jail for drug smuggling, CBD oil which is legal in most US states.

What kind of drugs was she smuggling?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 3:11 am

Bank of England governor defends rate hike ahead of looming recession

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 3:12 am

What kind of drugs was she smuggling?
Google has the answer!

Written By: Howard on 08/05/22 at 3:42 am

The Rain And The Heatwave

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 4:47 am

...and another heat wave is due for the UK next week!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 6:14 am

Batgirl movie scrapped months before planned release

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 11:43 am

Gaza: Palestinian commander killed as Israel strikes after militant threats

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/05/22 at 12:53 pm

Google has the answer!

I also said it in my post but more specifically it was a vape cartridge that contained CBD oil.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/05/22 at 1:41 pm

Lightning struck near the White House killing 2 and injuring another 2.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/22 at 2:17 pm

...and another heat wave is due for the UK next week!

Wow, how many heatwaves were there this past summer in The U.K.?  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/05/22 at 2:24 pm

Heatwaves, fires, and floods. Two of them involving two national parks that begin with the letter "Y". Makes me wonder what the hurricane season is going to be like.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 2:29 pm

Wow, how many heatwaves were there this past summer in The U.K.?  :o
We have high temperatures the other week, but still is hot 27o C, and water is now becoming short, the reservoirs and rivers are running low.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/22 at 2:57 pm

We have high temperatures the other week, but still is hot 27o C, and water is now becoming short, the reservoirs and rivers are running low.

Were you able to water your lawn?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 3:04 pm

Were you able to water your lawn?  ???
I do not have a lawn.

But there will be a hosepipe ban in London very soon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/22 at 7:26 am

Israel-Gaza: Israel arrests 19 militant suspects after Gaza flare-up

Written By: Elor on 08/06/22 at 8:04 am

Israel-Gaza: Israel arrests 19 militant suspects after Gaza flare-up

The title of a certain song by Limahl comes to mind... ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/06/22 at 9:49 am

Meanwhile in Vermont we had a couple of auto accidents, only slight injuries.  Cloths line breaks, (our) cat ran away (she's home again).  I love Vermont

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/22 at 11:00 am

I do not have a lawn.

You won’t be able to hose down your lawn? ???

Written By: Elor on 08/06/22 at 11:08 am

When water supplies run low certain non necessary things that require lots of water can be restricted.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/22 at 1:52 pm

I do not have a lawn.

Why they doing that in London? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/22 at 1:56 pm

Why they doing that in London? ???
To save on the water

Written By: karen on 08/07/22 at 1:30 am

Or wash your car

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/22 at 3:17 am

I do not have a lawn.

Or wash your car
Or fill the your garden swimming pool

Written By: Howard on 08/07/22 at 3:18 am

To save on the water

So I guess you're out of luck with water for the time being? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/07/22 at 3:18 am

Anne Heche Car Accident

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/07/22 at 5:49 am

And for the news that interests people the most, Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson have split up.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/07/22 at 9:03 am

Alex Jones, the conspiracy guy, fines multiple millions - this should teach him a lesson

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/22 at 9:39 am

Alex Jones, the conspiracy guy, fines multiple millions - this should teach him a lesson

I’ve been casually reading the headlines about this guy who seems like a nut job, but exactly what was the civil case about?

From what I understand he said the Parkland Murders were a hoax. An absurd lie, but there’s no law against lying per se. So what is the core aspect of the case? ???

I’m not arguing in his favor mind you. Just wondering precisely what it was that crossed the line. 

Written By: Howard on 08/07/22 at 2:40 pm

And for the news that interests people the most, Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson have split up.

Kim Kardashian will never find a husband that she can settle down with. ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/22 at 3:09 pm

The age difference between them was too great. He's young and in his 20s and she's middle aged.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 1:44 am

The age difference between them was too great. He's young and in his 20s and she's middle aged.
I'm so young and you're so old
This, my darling, I've been told
I don't care just what they say
'Cause forever I will pray
You and I will be as free
As the birds up in the trees

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/08/22 at 9:18 am

I’ve been casually reading the headlines about this guy who seems like a nut job, but exactly what was the civil case about?

From what I understand he said the Parkland Murders were a hoax. An absurd lie, but there’s no law against lying per se. So what is the core aspect of the case? ???

I’m not arguing in his favor mind you. Just wondering precisely what it was that crossed the line.

The Newtown Conn parents sued him for all the trauma and the harassment they went through as a result of his repeated, almost perpetual attacks on them, likewise the Parkland parents

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 9:20 am

Was there a character like him featured in the television series "Homeland"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 1:28 pm

UK set for new heatwave as temperatures head to 35o C

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/22 at 1:54 am

Commonwealth Games: Ozzy Osbourne surprise appearance headlines Birmingham 2022 closing ceremony

Written By: Howard on 08/09/22 at 3:09 am

Death of Olivia Newton John

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/22 at 3:12 am

FBI agents raided Donald Trump's Florida home

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 3:12 am

Drought expected to be declared in parts of England

Written By: Howard on 08/12/22 at 3:13 am

Anne Heche Car Crash

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 4:34 am

UK hosepipe ban: Millions more face restrictions as drought to be declared

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 5:54 am

UK economy shrinks as outlook on recession darkens

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 5:58 am

UK stores temporarily stop selling disposable barbecues in all its stores because of the heatwave.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 10:20 am

Author Salman Rushdie, who suffered years of death threats after writing The Satanic Verses, attacked on stage in New York state

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 3:36 pm

Author Salman Rushdie, who suffered years of death threats after writing The Satanic Verses, attacked on stage in New York state
Rushdie's agent says his client has been undergoing surgery after being airlifted to hospital. The agent had no more information to share about his Rushdie's condition

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 3:37 pm

Edinburgh Zoo's oldest penguin dies in fox attack

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/22 at 2:30 am

UK Train strikes: Passengers warned of more disruption as drivers walk out

Written By: Howard on 08/13/22 at 6:58 am

Rushdie's agent says his client has been undergoing surgery after being airlifted to hospital. The agent had no more information to share about his Rushdie's condition

Rushdie lost an eye.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/22 at 7:01 am

Rushdie lost an eye.
"Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged," his agent said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/22 at 12:59 pm

The man suspected of stabbing Salman Rushdie at an event in the United States on Friday has been charged with attempted murder.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/22 at 2:13 pm

The man suspected of stabbing Salman Rushdie at an event in the United States on Friday has been charged with attempted murder.

Did they say how much jail time? ???

Written By: Elor on 08/13/22 at 2:18 pm

Did they say how much jail time? ???
He has been charged, not convicted.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/22 at 1:39 am

"Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged," his agent said.
Salman Rushdie off ventilator and able to talk

Written By: Howard on 08/14/22 at 3:02 am

Salman Rushdie off ventilator and able to talk

That's a good thing and what if they can save his eyeball? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/22 at 3:44 am

Climate activists fill golf holes with cement after water ban exemption

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/22 at 5:41 am

Officials in Poland and Germany are trying to work out the cause of a mass fish die-off along the Oder river, which runs between the two countries.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/14/22 at 5:49 am

There was a shooting in Jerusalem outside the Western Wall of the Old City by a Palestinian gunman that injured 8.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/22 at 4:54 pm

Police probe threat to JK Rowling over Salman Rushdie support

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/22 at 5:33 am

Thunderstorms begin in the UK after heatwave

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/22 at 6:26 am

Covid: UK approves Moderna's Omicron booster

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/21/22 at 2:04 pm

Maybe this should go in the Sports Zone forum, but Oleksandr Usyk defeated Anthony Joshua for the second year in a row for another heavyweight champion belt.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/22 at 3:01 pm

Trump And Mar-A Lagos

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/22 at 4:00 am

Trump And Mar-A Lagos
Donald Trump sues justice department over Mar-a-Lago search

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/22 at 12:26 pm

Two-thirds of Europe is under some sort of drought warning, in what is likely the worst such event in 500 years.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/22 at 2:29 pm

Two-thirds of Europe is under some sort of drought warning, in what is likely the worst such event in 500 years.

Thank God New York is not in a severe drought, I mean we're getting the rain but not sure when. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/22 at 10:39 am

World leaders back Ukraine's 'brave fight' as it marks independence

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/22 at 1:54 pm

Germany approves energy-saving measures for winter

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/22 at 1:36 am

Kobe Bryant's widow awarded $16m leaked crash photos payout

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/25/22 at 8:56 am

The prime minister of Finland, 36 y.o. Sanna Marin, was seen in a leaked video dancing at a private party. She was accused of behavior that is considered "unbecoming of a prime minister/NATO world leader" and was ordered to take a drug test.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/25/22 at 9:44 am

The prime minister of Finland, 36 y.o. Sanna Marin, was seen in a leaked video dancing at a private party. She was accused of behavior that is considered "unbecoming of a prime minister/NATO world leader" and was ordered to take a drug test.

So these days a political leader can't have a good time with friends?  What is this  world coming to?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/22 at 10:13 am

Novak Djokovic unable to travel to New York for US Open

Written By: Elor on 08/25/22 at 12:12 pm

So these days a political leader can't have a good time with friends?  What is this  world coming to?

I don't get it either. She's young and did nothing wrong in my opinion. Who says a country's leader has to live like a monk/nun?
As long as she did nothing illegal I don't see anything wrong here. But someone probably sees a potential for political gains and I guess and the story is just too good for certain elements of the press to not exploit it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/22 at 2:23 pm

Moderna suing Pfizer over Covid vaccine technology

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 10:28 am

Nasa has called off the launch of its big new Moon rocket - the Space Launch System (SLS).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 11:51 am

Kherson: Ukraine claims new push in Russian-held region

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/31/22 at 10:02 am

Floods in Pakistan large enterprise to create a "lake" that's visible from space

Meanwhile ironically despite the crazy climate, the hurricane season has been very quiet. There hasn't been a name storm yet as of the end of August, for the first time in 25 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 10:13 am

Floods in Pakistan large enterprise to create a "lake" that's visible from space

Meanwhile ironically despite the crazy climate, the hurricane season has been very quiet. There hasn't been a name storm yet as of the end of August, for the first time in 25 years.
Did I hear right, a third of the country is flooded?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 10:22 am

British teenager Emma Raducanu says she is looking forward to starting with a "clean slate" after an early end to her US Open title defence.

Written By: Elor on 08/31/22 at 12:18 pm

The last leader of the Soviet Union Michael Gorbachev has died:
https://www.reuters.com/world/mikhail-gorbachev-who-ended-cold-war-dies-aged-92-agencies-2022-08-30/

He was very important for Germany's reunification and putting the cold war on it's decades long hiatus (7 months ago I would have written he helped to end the cold war... :-X).

I hope he can rest in peace. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/31/22 at 2:56 pm

And New York hasn't seen much rain in quite a while.  :(

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/01/22 at 8:50 am

"The chairman of Russian oil and gas giant Lukoil — which spoke out against Russia's invasion of Ukraine — has died after falling out of a hospital window, state news agencies RIA Novosti and TASS reported Thursday."

I'm pretty sure he didn't just "fall" out of a hospital window. When does that ever happen?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 9:04 am

Vladimir Putin will not attend Mikhail Gorbachev's funeral due to 'work schedule', Kremlin says

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/01/22 at 9:09 am

"The chairman of Russian oil and gas giant Lukoil — which spoke out against Russia's invasion of Ukraine — has died after falling out of a hospital window, state news agencies RIA Novosti and TASS reported Thursday."

I'm pretty sure he didn't just "fall" out of a hospital window. When does that ever happen?

It's not the first time a Putin critic has "FALLEN OUT A WINDOW"

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 12:21 pm

Curious, fallen out of a window while in intensive care?

Written By: Howard on 09/01/22 at 2:16 pm

Someone must've pushed him to his death?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 12:25 am

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner: Argentina vice-president narrowly avoids assassin

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 6:34 am

Mystery pneumonia: Argentina investigates three deaths

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 7:21 am

Climate activists have glued themselves together around the Speaker's chair in the House of Commons in London

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/22 at 10:51 am

The Washington Post's Mary Ilushina reports that several other top Russian oil executives have mysteriously died.  In 2 cases they were found dead along with their wives and daughters.  Interesting

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 10:56 am

The Washington Post's Mary Ilushina reports that several other top Russian oil executives have mysteriously died.  In 2 cases they were found dead along with their wives and daughters.  Interesting
I am wondering are the Russians having difficulty in obtaining the poison Novichok?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 12:20 pm

Russia won't reopen key European gas line as planned

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/02/22 at 1:26 pm

I am wondering are the Russians having difficulty in obtaining the poison Novichok?

Polonium 210 is a better way to get the job done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 2:42 pm

Voting has closed in the Conservative leadership contest to decide who will replace Boris Johnson as prime minister for the United Kingdom.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/22 at 2:46 pm

Mystery pneumonia: Argentina investigates three deaths

Why is it a "mystery"?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 2:50 pm

Why is it a "mystery"?  ???
A third person has died this week in Argentina from an unexplained type of pneumonia that has affected nine people in total so far.

All of the cases centre around a private medical clinic in northwestern Tucuman province.

Authorities say they have ruled out Covid and common types of flu but are continuing other infection checks.

Tests on the local water supply and air conditioners are also being done in the hunt for the cause.

The third victim was a 70-year-old woman who had been admitted to the clinic for a surgical procedure.

Doctors believe she may have been "patient zero" for the respiratory illness. The others who have fallen ill with the lung condition were medical staff at the centre.

Their close contacts are under follow-up but none have developed symptoms to date.

The mystery disease claimed its first victim among workers at the clinic on Monday and a second two days later. Both, like the 70-year-old woman, had other underlying health conditions.

The first six patients started showing symptoms between August 18 and 23.

Tucuman health minister Luis Medina Ruiz said on Wednesday the patients were struck with "a severe respiratory condition with bilateral pneumonia...very similar to Covid".

Symptoms included a high fever, body aches and difficulty breathing.

Hector Sale, president of the Tucuman provincial medical college, told local reporters: "We are not dealing with a disease that causes person-to-person transmission" as no cases have been identified among close contacts of any of the patients.

The Pan American Health Organization is monitoring the situation along with the Argentina health authorities.

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, told the BBC that at this stage, it was "pretty much impossible" to say what the impact might be.

"These things happen from time to time. Often they just fizzle out, but not always.

"Sometimes they cause a substantial local outbreak or something even bigger."

He said experts should have more answers within days thanks to the rapid speed that checks and tests can give results.

Prof Beate Kampmann from The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine said: "It is too early to comment on whether this represents a threat to a wider population or remains restricted to the institution, or whether it might be caused by a new pathogen or one we already know about."

Prof Sir Peter Horby from Oxford University said there were echoes of how the Covid outbreak began with infections in healthcare workers involving severe pneumonia.

But he added: "People shouldn't be overly alarmed. There are other potential explanations.

"At the moment I'm not overly concerned but I'll be watching it like a Hawk."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62764402

Written By: Elor on 09/03/22 at 2:45 am

Russia won't reopen key European gas line as planned
If I was chancellor Scholz I would make it clear to Russia that every day the pipeline is closed 10 Leopard 1 main battle tanks and 10 Marder infantry fighting vehicles will find a new home in Ukraine... 
Ah well, a man can dream, right? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/22 at 6:34 am

Mikhail Gorbachev: Thousands pay respects to last Soviet leader

Written By: Howard on 09/03/22 at 6:48 am

19 Year Old woman tries to interfere in a confrontation with a police officer and her boyfriend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/22 at 10:28 am

Nasa: Artemis Moon rocket second launch attempt called off

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/22 at 6:04 pm

Absolutely nothing suspicious there. People fall out of hospital windows all the time-especially in Russia. I guess the Russians aren't careful around windows-especially when they are sick.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/22 at 5:38 am

Former president Barack Obama won the best narrator Emmy Award on Saturday for his Netflix documentary series, Our Great National Parks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/22 at 12:41 pm

33-day 'Smiling Pope' John Paul I beatified at the Vatican

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/04/22 at 1:08 pm

33-day 'Smiling Pope' John Paul I beatified at the Vatican

It is my experience that most people don't even remember there ever WAS a Pope John Paul I. It's almost like he was purposely erased from history. I, however, remember his short tenure as Pope, and his sudden death in 1978. And I have read books about the controversies (i.e. conspiracy theories) surrounding his death. And, if you ask me, it WAS suspicious.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/22 at 1:16 pm

A US judge has dismissed a man's latest lawsuit against Nirvana over the band's iconic 1991 album cover which showed him naked as a baby.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/22 at 2:19 pm

Former president Barack Obama won the best narrator Emmy Award on Saturday for his Netflix documentary series, Our Great National Parks.

Cool. Saw the series. It was good.

BTW, those Emmys are HEAVY. My niece won one (yeah, gotta brag) and she let me hold it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/04/22 at 2:33 pm

A US judge has dismissed a man's latest lawsuit against Nirvana over the band's iconic 1991 album cover which showed him naked as a baby.

Who took the picture?

Written By: karen on 09/04/22 at 2:34 pm

Several years ago he was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks in their “identify the pop star” round. At the time he said he used it almost like a “guess who I am?” chat up line on girls, and it worked surprisingly well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/22 at 2:57 pm

Who took the picture?
Kirk Weddle

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/04/22 at 11:12 pm

Cool. Saw the series. It was good.

BTW, those Emmys are HEAVY. My niece won one (yeah, gotta brag) and she let me hold it.

Cat

Speaking of Emmys, Stranger Things just won five tonight (out of several nominations), including Nora Felder's music supervision on "Dear Billy," which famously revived Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" and catapulted it into a U.S. Top Five hit and worldwide chart topper.

The Creative Arts Emmys will be edited together and broadcast on FXX on Saturday, followed by Hulu streaming.

Stranger Things has plenty more nominations at the big event next Monday, including in the major categories. Serious competition there, though.

The show is also nominated for several Saturn Awards (Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror), including for its actors (who were shockingly snubbed at the Emmys) -- Millie Bobby Brown (Best Actress, Streaming), Gaten Matarazzo and Sadie Sink (both - Best Younger Actor, Streaming), Joe Quinn (Best Supporting Actor, Streaming), and Robert Englund (Best Guest Star, Streaming).

Since this is Freddy Krueger we're talking about, Englund is pretty much a lock as far as I can tell.

Sadie has some stiff competition, besides Gaten. Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop, Leia, and Will Robinson. I don't really get this category: A lot of these actors are older than 18, and Hailee Steinfeld is the oldest at 25... and yet 18 1/2-year-old Millie Bobby Brown is nominated as an adult.

I could see Millie winning. Her only real competition are Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen) and Mulan (Ming Na-Wen as Fennec Shand, The Book of Boba Fett). Not sure how popular The Boys, Leverage: Redemption or Midnight Mass are.

Joe Quinn is the one I'm least certain about. Eddie Munson is a popular character, but he's up against Spock (Ethan Peck) and Elliot Page. I'm not quite sure how popular Severance and Moon Knight are.

Stranger Things has six Saturn nominations total.

I've become so obsessed with this show lately. :D It's like you can take me out of Stranger Things, but you can't take Stranger Things out of me. Season 4 emotionally wrecked me. :D And now I've pretty much mastered "Running Up That Hill" on synth and I've gone through a bunch of Kate Bush's songs and videos.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/22 at 5:55 am

The next UK Prime Minister will be announced shortly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/22 at 7:09 am

The next UK Prime Minister will be announced shortly.
Liz Truss won 81,326 votes compared to Rishi Sunak’s share of 60,399 votes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/22 at 2:06 pm

Police in Canada say the two suspects in the Saskatchewan stabbings have not been found

Written By: Howard on 09/05/22 at 2:28 pm

Police in Canada say the two suspects in the Saskatchewan stabbings have not been found

I hope they find them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/22 at 7:17 am

Liz Truss becomes UK Prime Minister in meeting with Queen

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/22 at 8:54 am

I hope they find them.
Canadian police have found the body of one of two brothers wanted for a mass stabbing attack that left 10 people dead and 18 injured in the province of Saskatchewan on Sunday.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/22 at 3:51 pm

Canadian police have found the body of one of two brothers wanted for a mass stabbing attack that left 10 people dead and 18 injured in the province of Saskatchewan on Sunday.

If it's not a mass shooting, it's a mass stabbing in the news.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/22 at 4:14 am

Liz Truss holds first cabinet meeting after sweeping reshuffle

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/22 at 6:16 am

Justin Bieber suspends world tour due to health issues

Written By: Howard on 09/07/22 at 3:50 pm

Justin Bieber suspends world tour due to health issues

What's his health issue? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/22 at 3:54 pm

What's his health issue? ???
He is suffering from facial paralysis, after a diagnosis of Ramsay Hunt syndrome.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/22 at 3:10 am

Governor Hochul gets rid of mask mandates on public transportation, but people can wear them if they'd like to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/22 at 4:33 am

The suspect in a stabbing spree in Canada which left 10 people dead and 19 injured has died after being captured by police.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/22 at 7:14 am

Queen Elizabeth II under medical supervision at Balmoral

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=64335.msg4127763#msg4127763

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/22 at 9:30 am

New malaria vaccine is world-changing, say scientists

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/08/22 at 12:42 pm

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away at age 96 and after a 70 year reign (since 1952). King Charles is now the king of the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/22 at 12:48 pm

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away at age 96 and after a 70 year reign (since 1952). King Charles is now the king of the UK.
:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/08/22 at 1:11 pm

Liz Truss becomes UK Prime Minister in meeting with Queen

It's crazy to think this was just 2 days ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/22 at 1:17 pm

It's crazy to think this was just 2 days ago.
It feels strange for these two events, a new Prime Minister and a new monarch in a space of two days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/22 at 1:31 pm

It has been confirmed by Buckingham Palace that Prince Charles will become King Charles III.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/22 at 1:48 pm

Another sign of a shift

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/08/22 at 1:52 pm

Another sign of a shift

As I mentioned in the other thread, this the end of a mega era and start of a new one. Historically there were fashion trends and aesthetics inspired by the era of who is wearing the crown, like the Victorian Era. The Elizabethan II era will be remembered as the modern era as it was the entire 2nd half of the 20th century and almost a quarter of the 21st. I wonder what the Charles III era is going to be like.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/22 at 3:53 pm

She will be missed terribly.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 09/08/22 at 3:54 pm

It has been confirmed by Buckingham Palace that Prince Charles will become King Charles III.

Who was the first and second?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 09/08/22 at 6:09 pm

It will be weird not to see the queen's head on our money anymore here in Canada. It will be replaced with the new king.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/09/22 at 9:38 am

Charles I ruled from 1625 to 1649 when he was overthrown by Oliver Cromwell.  Charles II ruled from 1660 to 1685, after O C died and the monarchy was restored. For more details use google

Written By: Contigo on 09/09/22 at 1:39 pm

Who's on first, What's on second

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/22 at 2:13 pm

Who's on first, What's on second

I Don't Know is on third.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/09/22 at 3:38 pm

It will be weird not to see the queen's head on our money anymore here in Canada. It will be replaced with the new king.

King Charles.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/22 at 3:40 pm

Charles I ruled from 1625 to 1649 when he was overthrown by Oliver Cromwell.  Charles II ruled from 1660 to 1685, after O C died and the monarchy was restored. For more details use google

Thank You.

Written By: karen on 09/11/22 at 4:14 pm

The Queen’s funeral cortège has travelled from Balmoral to the Palace of Holyrood House in Edinburgh. The coffin will be flown to London on Tuesday and will then lie in state in Westminster Abbey until Monday morning.

Charles the Third has been proclaimed King across the nation with readings of the proclamation being read in towns and cities across the U.K.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/22 at 4:38 am

King Charles III is making his first visit as monarch to Parliament, where the Commons and Lords will offer condolences

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/22 at 1:53 pm

King Charles III stands vigil as Queen's coffin rests in Edinburgh

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 2:57 am

King Charles III will make his first visit to Northern Ireland as monarch on Tuesday, as part of a tour of the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 4:10 am

Thousands of people have been queuing through the night to see the Queen's coffin at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 5:02 am

Jean-Luc Godard: Legendary French film director dies at 91

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 8:22 am

Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson to care for the Queen’s corgis

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/13/22 at 8:23 am

The first death in the US from monkeypox has been confirmed, in LA County.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 9:37 am

Queen's coffin vigil at Edinburgh's St Giles' Cathedral comes to a close

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 11:52 am

Queen's coffin leaves Scottish soil for last time

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/22 at 2:19 pm

Queen's hearse arrives at Buckingham Palace

Written By: Howard on 09/13/22 at 3:33 pm

What are the corgis names?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/22 at 6:13 am

Large queues are forming along Albert Embankment as people wait for the Queen's lying-in-state to begin

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/22 at 12:17 pm

A one-minute silence will be held across the UK at 20:00 BST on Sunday 18 September, the night before the Queen's funeral.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/22 at 2:50 pm

I just wish we had a day off on Monday. Only Newfoundland and Nova Scotia are mandating a holiday for the funeral. Other provinces are not.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/22 at 3:51 pm

A one-minute silence will be held across the UK at 20:00 BST on Sunday 18 September, the night before the Queen's funeral.

So now what happens after that? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/22 at 3:54 pm

What do you do after your workplace holds a minute silence?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/22 at 4:28 am

You carrying doing what you were doing before you started the minute silence.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/22 at 4:31 am

What are the corgis names?

royal corgis

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/22 at 4:47 am

After almost a week of the highest-profile activity, a somewhat quieter time beckons for the Royal Family as authorities gear up for the state funeral on Monday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/22 at 8:46 am

Tennis player Roger Federer to retire after Laver Cup in September

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/15/22 at 9:01 am

Ukraine President Zelensky was involved in a car accident. Luckily no serious injuries with him but the other driver was injured pretty badly.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/15/22 at 9:11 am

The railroad strike in the US has been averted as an agreement deal between President Biden and the union has been reached.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/22 at 3:48 pm

royal corgis

They're so adorable. :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/16/22 at 5:53 am

Alaska braces for a powerful storm that has hurricane force winds and potential flooding.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/22 at 3:54 pm

Alaska braces for a powerful storm that has hurricane force winds and potential flooding.

I always thought Alaska got snow?  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/16/22 at 10:20 pm

Racists on the internet/social media are angry about the Little Mermaid in the upcoming 2023 film being black.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/22 at 7:17 am

New Tik Tok challenge: cooking Chicken in NyQuil.  8-P  ::)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/18/22 at 12:24 am

New Tik Tok challenge: cooking Chicken in NyQuil.  8-P  ::)

Not exactly new. It's been popular for a while. Ditto turkey. I believe it was Colbert (Kimmel?) who made a joke about it on his talk show. "There's already a turkey that makes you sleepy. It's called turkey." :D

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/18/22 at 6:54 am

Taiwan just had a 6.9 earthquake and is under tsunami warnings.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/22 at 7:06 am

Not exactly new. It's been popular for a while. Ditto turkey. I believe it was Colbert (Kimmel?) who made a joke about it on his talk show. "There's already a turkey that makes you sleepy. It's called turkey." :D

OK Chris I heard it on the news, it was a stupid TikTok challenge and I thought it was a story they were covering.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/22 at 7:06 am

Hurricane Fiona

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/22 at 2:33 pm

So what is the deal with them? I know they are divorced but are they still together?

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/19/22 at 7:03 am

So what is the deal with them? I know they are divorced but are they still together?

Cat

They are still friends and are often seen together at events. She lives at the Royal Lodge, Windsor with him. Slightly weird, but there you go

Written By: karen on 09/19/22 at 7:05 am

The funeral of Queen Elizabeth the second had just Aiken place in Westminster Abbey. The funeral procession is making its way through London to Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner. There the coffin will be transferred from the gun carriage to the State Hearse, before travelling on to St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/19/22 at 1:42 pm

Some border conflicts have been happening in Central Asian countries, between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan and also between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/22 at 1:45 pm

The funeral of Queen Elizabeth the second had just Aiken place in Westminster Abbey. The funeral procession is making its way through London to Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner. There the coffin will be transferred from the gun carriage to the State Hearse, before travelling on to St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle

I saw it on TV and it was quite nice but sad at the same time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 5:24 am

Queen Elizabeth's funeral: For one day, the nation stood still

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 6:51 am

Flags back at full-mast as mourning period ends

Written By: Howard on 09/20/22 at 7:31 am

Queen Elizabeth's funeral: For one day, the nation stood still

I couldn't believe the queue was so long!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 10:22 am

I couldn't believe the queue was so long!  :o
The queue itself was around 5 miles long, but it took on average 12 to line in the queue, to walk that route would take around 1½ to do so, and I plan to do it in a few week time.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/22 at 1:32 pm

The queue itself was around 5 miles long, but it took on average 12 to line in the queue, to walk that route would take around 1½ to do so, and I plan to do it in a few week time.

What happened if you needed to use the rest room? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 1:37 pm

What happened if you needed to use the rest room? ???
At the back of the queue, each person queuing was given a wrist band to prove they were in the queue, and with this were allow to briefly leaving the queue to use the provide comfort rooms along the way, also could be used for eating breaks too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/22 at 2:19 pm

Flags back at full-mast as mourning period ends

What they taught us in basic training: half-mast/full-mast only refer to boats/ships. When it is on land, it is referred to as half-staff/full-staff.

Sorry. Had to say it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 2:22 pm

What they taught us in basic training: half-mast/full-mast only refer to boats/ships. When it is on land, it is referred to as half-staff/full-staff.

Sorry. Had to say it.

Cat
May be it is the difference caused by the big pond?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/22 at 3:24 pm

May be it is the difference caused by the big pond?

Well, a mast is on a boat/ship.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/21/22 at 1:15 am

Well, a mast is on a boat/ship.

Cat

It is definitely referred to as half mast in the U.K.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/uk-flags/british-flag-protocol/#index21

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/22 at 2:15 am

Inflation pushes UK debt interest costs to August record

Written By: Elor on 09/21/22 at 3:33 am

It is definitely referred to as half mast in the U.K.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/uk-flags/british-flag-protocol/#index21

It's also "halbmast" in German.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/22 at 9:19 am

Danish queen tests positive for Covid the day after Queen Elizabeth II's funeral

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/22 at 11:23 am

BREAKING:

Donald Trump hit by fraud lawsuit over family business

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/22 at 6:01 am

Five British nationals captured by Russian-backed forces in Ukraine have returned to the UK.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/22 at 9:19 am

Governors Abbott and DeSantis (TX Fl) have shipped hundreds of asylum seekers from Venezuela to Martha's Vineyard Mass in a political stunt that may be a case of kidnapping 

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/22/22 at 11:13 am

Governors Abbott and DeSantis (TX Fl) have shipped hundreds of asylum seekers from Venezuela to Martha's Vineyard Mass in a political stunt that may be a case of kidnapping

I was surprised that wasn't mentioned on here or even in the P&R Topics forum, so I posted it in the "Things 2022 will be remembered for" thread.

Meanwhile so much else going on at once, and right after the Queen's funeral:

- The Mexican state of Michoacan just got struck by a 2nd earthquake within the past week
- Hurricane Fiona makes its way to Eastern Canada while much of Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are still without power
- Protests in Iran over a woman killed while in custody, who was arrested just for not wearing a headscarf
- Feds issue historic rate hike (+.75%)
- And of course as mentioned in the Russia invasion of Ukraine thread, Putin announces mobilization for escalation resulting in protests and many fleeing Russia while they can

Written By: Howard on 09/22/22 at 1:30 pm

I was surprised that wasn't mentioned on here or even in the P&R Topics forum, so I posted it in the "Things 2022 will be remembered for" thread.

Meanwhile so much else going on at once, and right after the Queen's funeral:

- The Mexican state of Michoacan just got struck by a 2nd earthquake within the past week
- Hurricane Fiona makes its way to Eastern Canada while much of Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are still without power
- Protests in Iran over a woman killed while in custody, who was arrested just for not wearing a headscarf
- Feds issue historic rate hike (+.75%)
- And of course as mentioned in the Russia invasion of Ukraine thread, Putin announces mobilization for escalation resulting in protests and many fleeing Russia while they can

You think Fiona will make it's way towards The U.S.? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/22/22 at 6:06 pm

Highly unlikely as it's too far out in the Atlantic. The projected path has it headed towards Nova Scotia.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/22 at 8:06 pm

Back in the day, there was a porn starlet named Fiona. She did a film with Long Dong Silver.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/23/22 at 7:30 am

Highly unlikely as it's too far out in the Atlantic. The projected path has it headed towards Nova Scotia.

If Fiona reached The U.S., New York would most likely be under water by now with the amount of rain they're getting over there in Puerto Rico, there's no way New York can handle 2 feet of rain.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/23/22 at 10:42 am

If Fiona reached The U.S., New York would most likely be under water by now with the amount of rain they're getting over there in Puerto Rico, there's no way New York can handle 2 feet of rain.

They are comparing it to Hurricane Sandy, and could be Canada's worst storm in history.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/22 at 2:10 pm

They are comparing it to Hurricane Sandy, and could be Canada's worst storm in history.

I remember Hurricane Sandy back in 2012, I was working for Pathmark at that time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/22 at 8:38 am

Higher interest rate rises forecast after pound fell in the UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/22 at 10:15 am

Hurricane Ian forces Nasa to shelter Artemis Moon rocket

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/22 at 4:40 am

Dimorphos: Nasa flies spacecraft into asteroid in direct hit

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/22 at 8:44 am

Eurovision 2023: Glasgow or Liverpool will host song contest

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/22 at 3:34 pm

Royal Mail workers to hold 19 days of strike action

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/02/22 at 6:39 am

Over 130 killed in a soccer brawl in Indonesia.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/22 at 6:34 am

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has gone to Sweden's Svante Paabo for his work on human evolution.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/03/22 at 10:12 am

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has gone to Sweden's Svante Paabo for his work on human evolution.

He established, through ancient DNA, that homo sapiens  interbred with neanderthals, which I suspected for a long time.  We homo sapiens aren't very selective when it comes to interbreeding

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/22 at 5:06 am

North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/22 at 6:00 am

This year's Nobel Prize in Physics rewards research into quantum mechanics. The award goes to Frenchman Alain Aspect, American John Clauser and Austrian Anton Zeilinger.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/04/22 at 9:52 am

Town of Clarenden VT Aldermen voted 3 to 2 to spend $300,000 to replace an ageing fire truck (1952 model).  Fire chief said it was either that or re-activate the 1929 model.  These guys really get their money's worth

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/22 at 9:36 am

Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr fight 'prohibited' by British Boxing Board of Control

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/22 at 9:43 am

Alec Baldwin has reached a settlement with the family of Halyna Hutchins, after she was killed on a film set when he fired a prop gun. Filming of Rust will continue in January, with Ms Hutchins' husband Matthew as an executive producer, news agency Deadline reported.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/22 at 11:01 am

Noah has become the most popular name for baby boys, replacing Oliver which held the top spot for eight years. Official birth data for 2021 in England and Wales showed Olivia remained the most popular name for girls for the sixth year in a row.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63142735

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/22 at 1:15 am

Mexico mayor assassinated in town hall massacre

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/22 at 1:33 am

North Korea carries out sixth missile launch in two weeks

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/22 at 1:33 am

North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan
The missile travelled 4,500km (2,800 miles) before falling into the Pacific Ocean - far enough to hit the US island of Guam if it took another trajectory.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/22 at 2:06 am

Hans Niemann: Chess player accused of cheating 'not backing down'

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/06/22 at 5:58 am

Mass shooting in Thailand at a child care center killed 34, including almost two dozen children.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/22 at 5:59 am

WHO alert over India-made cough syrups after deaths in The Gambia

Written By: Howard on 10/06/22 at 3:34 pm

Mass shooting in Thailand at a child care center killed 34, including almost two dozen children.

What the hell is going on with these mass shootings?  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/22 at 11:21 am

WHO alert over India-made cough syrups after deaths in The Gambia
Gambia cough syrup scandal: Police investigate deaths linked to Indian medicine.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/22 at 6:53 am

(In the UK) The number of people not looking for work because they are suffering from a long-term illness has hit a record high, latest official figures show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/22 at 8:12 am

IMF warns worst is yet to come for world economy

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/22 at 12:06 pm

Coronation on 6th May 2023 for King Charles and Camilla, Queen Consort

Buckingham Palace has changed the date from June!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/22 at 4:58 am

Elon Musk denies he spoke to Putin about Ukraine war

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/22 at 7:25 am

TikTok has turned into a begging site

Written By: karen on 10/12/22 at 4:36 pm

Coronation on 6th May 2023 for King Charles and Camilla, Queen Consort

Buckingham Palace has changed the date from June!

I think the original date was cup final day

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/22 at 3:02 am

I think the original date was cup final day
Could had clashed with the Trooping of the Colour?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/22 at 3:02 am

Recession risk rises as economy unexpectedly shrinks

Written By: Howard on 10/14/22 at 3:32 am

mass shooting Raleigh North Carolina.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/22 at 7:14 am

In the UK, Kwasi Kwarteng has been sacked as chancellor, just weeks after he announced unfunded tax cuts that triggered financial turmoil

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/22 at 9:43 am

Jeremy Hunt, who oversaw the London Olympics as culture secretary and also served as health secretary, has been named as the UK's new chancellor.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/14/22 at 12:45 pm

Jeremy Hunt, who oversaw the London Olympics as culture secretary and also served as health secretary, has been named as the UK's new chancellor.

What does a “culture secretary” do? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/22 at 1:18 pm

What does a “culture secretary” do? ???
The secretary of state for digital, culture, media and sport, also referred to as the culture secretary, is a secretary of state in the Government of the United Kingdom, with overall responsibility for strategy and policy across the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/17/22 at 8:39 am

Kanye West (or "Ye" as he likes to be called nowadays) to acquire the social media platform Parler.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 12:56 pm

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has ditched almost all of PM Liz Truss's tax cuts announced in the government's mini-budget three weeks ago

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 2:15 pm

Kanye West (or "Ye" as he likes to be called nowadays) to acquire the social media platform Parler.

Is it pronounced "Yay" or "Yee"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 2:16 pm

"Ya"?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/17/22 at 2:26 pm

I think it's just the 2nd syllobol of his firstname, the "Ye" without the "Kan", so like "Yay".

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 4:22 pm

Tickets for next year's Glastonbury Festival will cost £340, organisers have confirmed.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/17/22 at 8:26 pm

About (the artist formerly known as Kan)Ye, I meant to post earlier when he was on the news a lot regarding his social media rants, causing him to be partially banned from IG and Twitter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/22 at 7:59 am

"Ye" as in an old-fashioned, and poetic word?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/18/22 at 9:12 am

It was the word "you", used in the KJV of the Bible and by Shakespeare.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/22 at 9:17 am

It was the word "you", used in the KJV of the Bible and by Shakespeare.
Also, for 'the' as in Ye Oldee Book Shoppe.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/18/22 at 9:20 am

Tickets for next year's Glastonbury Festival will cost £340, organisers have confirmed.

And when you think, the first one was £1 (and included free milk from the farm it took place on), and the second one was free! It's gotten a bit commercial since those pastoral times.

Glastonbury Fayre 1970- Performers included T. Rex, Keith Christmas, Stackridge, Al Stewart, Quintessence.
Price: £1 including free milk from the farm.
Attendance: 1,500.

Glastonbury Festival 1971: Performers included Hawkwind, Traffic, Melanie, David Bowie, Fairport Convention and Quintessence.
Price: free.
Attendance: estimated at 12,000.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/22 at 9:24 am

Also, for 'the' as in Ye Oldee Book Shoppe.

And when you think, the first one was £1 (and included free milk from the farm it took place on), and the second one was free! It's gotten a bit commercial since those pastoral times.

Glastonbury Fayre 1970- Performers included T. Rex, Keith Christmas, Stackridge, Al Stewart, Quintessence.
Price: £1 including free milk from the farm.
Attendance: 1,500.

Glastonbury Festival 1971: Performers included Hawkwind, Traffic, Melanie, David Bowie, Fairport Convention and Quintessence.
Price: free.
Attendance: estimated at 12,000.

As in Ye Oldee Ticket Prices?

Written By: Howard on 10/18/22 at 3:58 pm

I think it's pronounced as "yay".

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/22 at 4:02 pm

I think it's pronounced as "yay".
He could have gone worse by having a squiggle like Prince?

Written By: Howard on 10/19/22 at 7:19 am

He could have gone worse by having a squiggle like Prince?

Who knows what that would've looked like.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/22 at 10:14 am

Soaring food prices push inflation to 40-year high

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/22 at 11:16 am

Suella Braverman has resigned as home secretary, adding turmoil to Liz Truss's government.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/22 at 2:11 pm

Soaring food prices push inflation to 40-year high

And I also think the cost of living is going up too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/22 at 2:15 pm

And I also think the cost of living is going up too.
Living in rented accommodation, especially in London has soared

Written By: Howard on 10/20/22 at 3:15 am

Living in rented accommodation, especially in London has soared

How much does an apartment go for in London prices? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 3:24 am

How much does an apartment go for in London prices? ???
At least a monthly rent of £1,200, can go higher.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 6:03 am

Liz Truss's premiership is under renewed pressure after the home secretary quit and MPs took part in a chaotic vote on fracking

Over a dozen Tory MPs have now publicly called on her to step down - with the number growing by the hou

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 7:25 am

Downing Street statement from Liz Truss expected at 13:30!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 7:37 am

Truss announces her resignation as prime minister!

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/20/22 at 9:12 am

Truss announces her resignation as prime minister!

After only six weeks, a record for the shortest tenure of a UK PM.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 9:35 am

After only six weeks, a record for the shortest tenure of a UK PM.
44 days, certainly a record, the previous being George Canning in 1827, who died in office after 118 days from tuberculosis.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 9:49 am

A new petition is gathering interest and asking for conservative party members and supporters to sign and 'Bring Back Boris' as Prime Minister.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 11:05 am

The pound rose against the dollar and government borrowing costs dipped as investors reacted to Prime Minister Liz Truss's resignation.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/21/22 at 10:19 am

Steve Bannon sentenced to four months in prison for contempt of Congress.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/22/22 at 9:53 am

Steve Bannon sentenced to four months in prison for contempt of Congress.

And fined a few thousand bucks.  He got off cheap

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/22 at 10:53 am

Rishi Sunak to become the first British PM of color, and the youngest one in over 200 years at age 42.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/22 at 1:09 pm

Rishi Sunak to become the first British PM of color, and the youngest one in over 200 years at age 42.
... becomes first Indian-origin British PM on Diwali too.

Diwali, one of the most popular festivals of Hinduism, it symbolizes the spiritual "victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance".

Written By: Howard on 10/24/22 at 2:22 pm

St. Louis,Missouri Shooting 

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/25/22 at 6:36 am

The new UK prime minister has given his first speech to the nation from Downing Street. Sunak said there were “difficult decisions to come” and he pledged to unite the country.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/22 at 3:46 pm

Police patrol on the subways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/22 at 4:15 am

Rishi Sunak has appointed his new cabinet, hours after officially taking over as prime minister. He has kept a number of ministers in the same posts they were in before - including Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, Foreign Secretary James Cleverly and Defence Secretary Ben Wallace.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/22 at 4:15 am

Police patrol on the subways.
Bring back the Guardian Angels!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/22 at 5:41 am

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has said he will set out a much-anticipated roadmap for the public finances around two weeks later than planned.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/22 at 7:09 am

Bring back the Guardian Angels!

Put them on the buses too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/22 at 8:50 am

Online furniture retailer Made.com has stopped taking new orders after talks to find a buyer failed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/22 at 7:53 am

Shell profit jump sparks calls for windfall tax rise

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/22 at 10:35 am

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will not attend the COP27 climate conference in Egypt next month, No 10 says.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/22 at 12:08 pm

Qatar has scrapped mandatory Covid-19 tests ahead of the FIFA World Cup next month.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/22 at 11:45 am

Parts of France and Spain are seeing an unusually warm late October, with bathers enjoying water temperatures of 20-21C on the French Riviera.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/22 at 12:06 pm

An artwork by the abstract Dutch painter Piet Mondrian has been hanging upside down in various galleries for 75 years, an art historian has said.

Written By: Elor on 10/28/22 at 2:15 pm

An artwork by the abstract Dutch painter Piet Mondrian has been hanging upside down in various galleries for 75 years, an art historian has said.
At least they didn't throw mashed potatoes at it... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/22 at 2:17 pm

At least they didn't throw mashed potatoes at it... ::)
... or tomato soup...

Written By: Howard on 10/28/22 at 3:43 pm

... or tomato soup...

I don't know what those kids were protesting about?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/22 at 3:43 pm

I don't know what those kids were protesting about?
Kids, they were adults!

Written By: Howard on 10/29/22 at 2:33 am

Kids, they were adults!

I didn't even know they were adults.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/22 at 6:47 am

Taiwan has asked Chinese veterinary experts to help treat a male panda that has fallen seriously ill.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/22 at 6:48 am

I didn't even know they were adults.
They have to be adults if they have superglue with them!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/22 at 12:22 pm

A number of people are feared to have died after crushes among huge Halloween crowds in a popular nightlife area of South Korea's capital.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/22 at 2:24 pm

They have to be adults if they have superglue with them!

How old were they?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/22 at 2:25 pm

How old were they?
22 and 23, old enough to know better!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/22 at 4:03 pm

The government has been urged to open an investigation into claims former prime minister Liz Truss's phone was hacked while she was foreign secretary.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/29/22 at 4:32 pm

The government has been urged to open an investigation into claims former prime minister Liz Truss's phone was hacked while she was foreign secretary.

Those pesky Russians again? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/29/22 at 8:29 pm

A Halloween crowd stampede in Seoul killed around 150 people.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/29/22 at 9:13 pm

:\'(    :\'(    :\'(

Written By: Howard on 10/30/22 at 3:12 am

That's terrible.  :\'(

Written By: Elor on 10/30/22 at 3:30 am

Holy cow! How awful. :-[

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/22 at 7:54 am

Radical Muslims in Somalia killed roughly 100 people with two car bombs, at an intersection where radical Muslims killed roughly 500 people with a bomb 5 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/22 at 8:09 am

A severe tropical storm has killed at least 45 people in the Philippines, unleashing floods and landslides in southern provinces, officials say.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/22 at 8:38 am

Emergency services are at the Border Force migrant processing centre in Dover, Kent, after a Reuters witness says a man threw petrol bombs before killing himself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/22 at 4:37 pm

Those pesky Russians again?  http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/halloween/shocked.gif
Or the was it the press/media?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/22 at 5:02 am

Lula wins a third term as President of Brasil.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/22 at 5:03 am

152 Indians killed in a pedestrian suspension bridge collapse near Gujarat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/22 at 8:52 am

Dover residents are "horrified" after a fire attack at a Border Force migrant centre at the port, a Kent county councillor says.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/22 at 2:16 pm

All poultry and captive birds in England must be kept indoors from 7 November under new restrictions to fight avian flu, the government has announced.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/22 at 3:30 pm

House Fire in The Bronx kills half the family members.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/22 at 3:26 am

Shanghai Disney has become the latest high-profile venue to shut its gates thanks to China's strict zero-Covid policy, trapping visitors inside.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/22 at 7:45 am

Former health secretary Matt Hancock has been suspended as a Conservative MP after joining the cast of I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/01/22 at 10:11 am

Rapper Takeoff of Migos was shot dead outside of a bowling alley in Downtown Houston around 2:30 this morning (early morning after Halloween).

Written By: Howard on 11/01/22 at 3:45 pm

Rapper Takeoff of Migos was shot dead outside of a bowling alley in Downtown Houston around 2:30 this morning (early morning after Halloween).

What was he doing in a bowling alley? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/01/22 at 4:50 pm

Bowling? (shrug)

Written By: exodus08 on 11/01/22 at 4:59 pm

It's cloudy and cold here in Southern California  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/01/22 at 5:44 pm

He and some other guys were throwing dice, and an argument ensued. The argument was then settled via gunfire.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/01/22 at 7:42 pm

But it never rains, at least according to the song, lol

Written By: Howard on 11/02/22 at 7:08 am

He and some other guys were throwing dice, and an argument ensued. The argument was then settled via gunfire.

Couldn't they have played a nice game of bowling instead?

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/02/22 at 9:38 am

Couldn't they have played a nice game of bowling instead?

Coulda, shoulda, woulda but didn't

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/02/22 at 10:13 am

That reminds me of an old Chappelle's Show skit (back in the good 'ol days when humor was allowed without getting canceled) about the ESPN World Series of Dice when it got robbed at the end (Charlie Murphy played one of the robbers).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/22 at 8:19 am

Pakistan's former prime minister, Imran Khan, has been shot and wounded in the leg in an attack on his protest march in the eastern city of Wazirabad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/22 at 10:28 am

The Bank of England has warned the UK is facing its longest recession since records began, as it raised interest rates by the most in 33 years. It warned the UK would face a "very challenging" two-year slump with unemployment nearly doubling by 2025.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/03/22 at 6:18 pm

Benjamin Netanyahu is elected Prime Minister of Israel.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/22 at 3:19 am

Election between Kathy Hochul and Lee Zeldin

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/22 at 11:53 am

In the UK, a series of strikes by railway workers planned for 5, 7 and 9 November has been suspended, the RMT union has said.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/05/22 at 9:38 am

The body of a 32 year old was found at a local motel, suspected drug overdose

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/05/22 at 1:55 pm

Matthew Perry published his memoirs, making sure to include every “too much information” episode he could think of, including the explosion of his colon :o, his non-functioning Johnson :-[, and making out with Valerie Bertinelli whilst her husband Eddie Van Halen was right there, drunk into oblivion. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/05/22 at 1:56 pm

That’s just another day here in Picksburgh.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/22 at 2:12 pm

Was it a male or female?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/22 at 2:26 am

Here in the UK, the biggest ever strike by nurses looks set to go ahead. The Royal College of Nursing is due to unveil the results of its ballot, which ended last week, in the next few days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/22 at 8:16 am

In the wake of Elon Musk's takeover of Twitter, some users have been seeking alternative platforms. One of the biggest beneficiaries has been Mastodon. But what is it?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/06/22 at 8:56 am

In the wake of Elon Musk's takeover of Twitter, some users have been seeking alternative platforms. One of the biggest beneficiaries has been Mastodon. But what is it?

I feel like I've seen the icon somewhere. It's basically like Twitter but decentralized with localized servers (I'm guessing it's similar tech to Discord).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/22 at 7:29 am

UN chief António Guterres warns the COP27 UN climate summit humanity must "co-operate or perish"

Written By: Elor on 11/07/22 at 10:01 am

UN chief António Guterres warns the COP27 UN climate summit humanity must "co-operate or perish"

I can already tell you what they will choose... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/22 at 10:33 am

I can already tell you what they will choose... ::)
... to do or die?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/07/22 at 10:52 am

... to do or die?

Sounds like another "Catch '22" situation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/22 at 12:18 pm

Denmark teenager Holger Rune stunned defending champion Novak Djokovic in the Paris Masters final to claim his first ATP Masters title.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/08/22 at 9:40 am

Denmark teenager Holger Rune stunned defending champion Novak Djokovic in the Paris Masters final to claim his first ATP Masters title.

In what activity?  I'm guessing chess?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/22 at 9:43 am

In what activity?  I'm guessing chess?
In tennis

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/22 at 10:49 am

University lecturers and other staff across the UK will strike this month over pay, pensions and working conditions, the University and College Union (UCU) has said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/22 at 6:20 am

Meta, which owns Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, has announced that it will cut 13% of its workforce. In total 11,000 employees are to be laid off from its worldwide headcount of 87,000 people.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/22 at 7:05 am

Kathy Hochul wins the race.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/22 at 7:06 am

Kathy Hochul wins the race.
Which race?

Written By: Howard on 11/09/22 at 7:54 am

Which race?

The race for Governor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/22 at 8:16 am

The race for Governor.
Governor of where?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/09/22 at 8:27 am

Governor of where?

New York

Btw I made this thread about the Midterms as that's big enough to get its own thread:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=64400.0

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/22 at 10:46 am

Nurses across the UK have voted to strike over pay with action expected to start by the end of the year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/09/22 at 1:23 pm

Hurricane Nicole is bound for Florida.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/22 at 2:06 pm

Governor of where?

New York.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/22 at 2:12 pm

Governor of where?

New York.

New York

Btw I made this thread about the Midterms as that's big enough to get its own thread:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=64400.0
I have been already informed of this.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/22 at 2:50 am

Nicole makes it's landfall in Florida.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/22 at 3:14 am

US President Joe Biden has expressed relief after Democrats fended off major Republican gains in the midterms.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/22 at 3:24 am

A sixth 24-hour strike this year by London Underground workers has begun with nine Tube lines being shut down.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/22 at 9:18 am

Elon Musk has told Twitter staff that remote working will end and "difficult times" lie ahead, according to reports.

Written By: nally on 11/10/22 at 11:19 pm

A week later, this is still true!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/22 at 6:17 am

Divers looking for World War Two aircraft wreckage off Florida have found debris from the 1986 Challenger space shuttle disaster.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/12/22 at 5:29 am

Amazon is laying off its entire robotics team, days after Twitter and Meta's massive layoffs. Looks like the robots took over their jobs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/22 at 3:35 am

An Iranian man who lived in a Paris airport for 18 years has died. Caught in a diplomatic limbo, Mehran Karimi Nasseri made a small area of Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport his home in 1988.

His experience inspired the 2004 film, The Terminal, starring Tom Hanks.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/13/22 at 7:34 am

Amazon is laying off its entire robotics team, days after Twitter and Meta's massive layoffs. Looks like the robots took over their jobs.

Yep. Argo AI is also closing up shop. Looks like the tech sector is in a tailspin.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/22 at 8:25 am

Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo says he feels "betrayed" by the club, does not respect manager Erik ten Hag and is being forced out.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/14/22 at 1:18 pm

President Biden meets with Xi in Bali discussing Taiwan.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 5:04 am

- Donald Trump announced his presidential bid for 2024
- Artemis I finally launched after a few delays

Written By: Howard on 11/16/22 at 7:20 am

- Donald Trump announced his presidential bid for 2024
- Artemis I finally launched after a few delays

You think he'll win again?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 7:22 am

You think he'll win again?

It wouldn't surprise me, especially if Biden goes up for reelection. People will want to go back to the "good 'ol days" of 2017-2020.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/22 at 7:33 am

It wouldn't surprise me, especially if Biden goes up for reelection. People will want to go back to the "good 'ol days" of 2017-2020.

If he does, we'll have to endure more stupid nonsense from him.  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 7:42 am

If he does, we'll have to endure more stupid nonsense from him.  ::)

At least it's entertaining, if he didn't have the whole country in his hands. There were plenty of blooper moments in 2017-2020 like when had toilet paper stuck to his shoe while boarding AF1, walking down the ramp, holding a glass with two hands, the dance that he did, or bragging about how he can remember the 4 words from the dementia test. Also the mispronounciation of names like "The Yosemites" and "United Shakes of America".

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 8:16 am

The mayor of Uvalde, TX stated that the senior police officer who knew about the children in Robb Elementary School in danger but didn't take immediate action will be gone by the end of the week.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/16/22 at 9:15 am

Could be, but I think the midterms indicate the people are sick and tired of crazy.  So I think he will lose, if he gets the nom

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 9:36 am

Could be, but I think the midterms indicate the people are sick and tired of crazy.  So I think he will lose, if he gets the nom

Yeah, many Republicans are saying it's time to move on from Trump and the Trumpians to someone different.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/22 at 1:48 pm

At least it's entertaining, if he didn't have the whole country in his hands. There were plenty of blooper moments in 2017-2020 like when had toilet paper stuck to his shoe while boarding AF1, walking down the ramp, holding a glass with two hands, the dance that he did, or bragging about how he can remember the 4 words from the dementia test. Also the mispronounciation of names like "The Yosemites" and "United Shakes of America".

Will you vote for him?

Written By: Howard on 11/16/22 at 1:49 pm

Yeah, many Republicans are saying it's time to move on from Trump and the Trumpians to someone different.

He can go back to The Apprentice.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/16/22 at 2:04 pm

Will you vote for him?

No, never have and never will.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/22 at 3:04 am

No, never have and never will.

I won't either.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/22 at 3:05 am

Jay Leno skin graft

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/22 at 5:59 am

He can go back to The Apprentice.

I once stealth-quoted him in a job interview years ago, the day after an Apprentice episode.

And I got the job which I still have.  8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/17/22 at 6:10 am

UVA shooting and a quadruple homicide in Idaho has been on the headlines

Written By: Howard on 11/17/22 at 3:48 pm

I once stealth-quoted him in a job interview years ago, the day after an Apprentice episode.

And I got the job which I still have.  8)

After how many years?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/22 at 5:06 pm

After how many years?

Written By: Howard on 11/18/22 at 3:15 am

Wow, that's wonderful. O0

Do you like the tasks you're doing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/22 at 5:36 am

World Cup 2022: Beer sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/18/22 at 7:36 am

World Cup 2022: Beer sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar

Good thing I didn't have tickets to any of the games, lol. Many are boycotting that World Cup due to the human rights violations with the construction of the venues.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/22 at 7:54 am

Good thing I didn't have tickets to any of the games, lol. Many are boycotting that World Cup due to the human rights violations with the construction of the venues.
It could all turn out interesting when the matches start... ?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/18/22 at 5:44 pm

Snowstorm in Western New York State (including Buffalo)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/18/22 at 8:11 pm

Wow, that's wonderful. O0

Do you like the tasks you're doing?

Heck yeah. I work for the owner and get sent in to fix things when they get screwed up.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:57 am

Snowstorm in Western New York State (including Buffalo)

I heard that Buffalo is getting walloped with snow.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:58 am

Heck yeah. I work for the owner and get sent in to fix things when they get screwed up.

Like, what kind of things do you fix?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 7:17 am

The rail link between Ukraine's capital and the recently liberated city of Kherson has been re-established, with the first train between the two rolling in on Saturday morning.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/22 at 8:21 am

Like, what kind of things do you fix?

Departments that are screwed up. Customer problems that need to get resolved. Buildings that need to get renovated. Anything for a buck.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 10:13 am

Rishi Sunak pledged £50m in defence aid to Ukraine as he met President Volodymyr Zelensky in his first visit to Kyiv since becoming prime minister.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:08 pm

Departments that are screwed up. Customer problems that need to get resolved. Buildings that need to get renovated. Anything for a buck.  8)

So what do you call your job description? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/22 at 2:28 pm

So what do you call your job description? ???

That’s sort of the company joke. Everybody knows what I do, but nobody can really say what my job is!

Nobody directly reports to me. But if I show up in your office, you gotta give me whatever I ask for.  :P

Written By: Howard on 11/20/22 at 2:42 am

6 feet of snow in Buffalo.  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/20/22 at 5:48 am

- Mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs. 18 shot and at least 5 killed.
- World Cup kicks off today, Qatar vs. Ecuador

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/22 at 6:30 am

- Mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs. 18 shot and at least 5 killed.

Club patrons ‘subdued’ the gunman who is now being treated at a hospital.

Looks like they gave him a good old fashioned a$$ beating.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/22 at 10:02 am

Just had the National Anthems, let the games begin.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/22 at 3:20 pm

But why a gay nightclub?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/22 at 3:41 pm

But why a gay nightclub?

Apparently it was not just gay. It was also LBTQIA+.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/22 at 1:24 am

Multiple students in a primary school in the Australian city of Sydney have been injured after a classroom science experiment went wrong.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/22 at 1:16 pm

Indonesia: Java quake kills 162 and injures hundreds

Written By: Howard on 11/21/22 at 3:37 pm

Apparently it was not just gay. It was also LBTQIA+.

Something is just wrong with today's world these days. ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/21/22 at 3:44 pm

Something is just wrong with today's world these days. ::)

And what is it with Colorado and mass shootings? Sadly that state has dealt with some high profile ones like Columbine, the movie theater during Dark Knight Rises, and the supermarket in Boulder, and now this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/22 at 3:48 pm

Iran declined to sing their national anthem before their World Cup match with England in an apparent expression of support for anti-government protests in their home country.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/22 at 12:28 pm

Cristiano Ronaldo to leave Manchester United with immediate effect

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/22 at 1:09 pm

Train strikes: Rail workers to strike in run-up to Christmas in the UK

Written By: Howard on 11/22/22 at 3:23 pm

And what is it with Colorado and mass shootings? Sadly that state has dealt with some high profile ones like Columbine, the movie theater during Dark Knight Rises, and the supermarket in Boulder, and now this.

What don't they like about Colorado?

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/23/22 at 5:38 am

Mass shooting at a Wal-Mart in Chesapeake, VA kills at least 10

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/22 at 6:42 am

What don't they like about Colorado?

It’s hard to tell. A few years ago we were interviewing a guy for an executive position at my company and his resume said he had worked at a place in Colorado. Making small talk, we asked him how he liked Colorado, and  he replied “it’s a sewer”.  :o

We did not offer him the job. Not so much because he thought that Colorado was a sewer, but because he went on to pretty much describe every other state in the West, including California, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington as sewers too. We figured in pretty short order he’d think Pittsburgh was a sewer too!  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/22 at 9:12 am

It’s hard to tell. A few years ago we were interviewing a guy for an executive position at my company and his resume said he had worked at a place in Colorado. Making small talk, we asked him how he liked Colorado, and  he replied “it’s a sewer”.  :o

We did not offer him the job. Not so much because he thought that Colorado was a sewer, but because he went on to pretty much describe every other state in the West, including California, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington as sewers too. We figured in pretty short order he’d think Pittsburgh was a sewer too!  ;D

I would not have hired that guy regardless. One simply does not talk that way in a job interview. Do not speak ill of past employers, or even locations like Colorado. How does he know the person interviewing him doesn't come from Colorado? Ane even describing any little innocuous thing as a "sewer" in a somewhat formal setting like a job interview shows a lack of class. It's just COMMON SENSE. It NEVER ceases to amaze me how clueless people are. And it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/22 at 9:17 am

I would not have hired that guy regardless. One simply does not talk that way in a job interview. Do not speak ill of past employers, or even locations like Colorado. How does he know the person interviewing him doesn't come from Colorado? Ane even describing any little innocuous thing as a "sewer" in a somewhat formal setting like a job interview shows a lack of class. It's just COMMON SENSE. It NEVER ceases to amaze me how clueless people are. And it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Well way back when, a boss of mine and me were conducting a Saturday “Career Day”, interviewing candidates for an engineering team we were looking to fill. One candidate was being interviewed by my boss, who noticed that the applicant had a master’s degree in mechanical engineering.

Boss then asked the guy “Are you thinking of getting a doctorate degree in your field?”, to which the guy replied “Nah. Every PhD I’ve known had his head up his butt.”

My boss then enlightened the candidate that he was indeed holder of a PhD himself. Interview went downhill from there!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/22 at 9:23 am

Latest news on the shooting at the Colorado GBTLIA+ bar:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/23/colorado-shooting-suspect-anderson-aldrich-is-nonbinary-lawyers/

Apparently the shooter identifies as “non-binary” and prefers being addressed as neither Mr, Mrs, or Miss, but rather “Mx.”. First I heard of that.

Also it turns out his father was a former porno star who went by the stage name, Dick Delaware. :o

D.D. appeared in hard core flicks “White Boys Can Hump’’ in 2016 (co-starring with Anthony Hardwood and Buster Good) and “My MILF Boss 8” in 2014, according to his IMDb page.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/23/22 at 10:04 am

With that type of common sense (or lack there of) he might as well have shown up to the interview in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops, which I've actually heard some people have done.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/22 at 10:10 am

Well way back when, a boss of mine and me were conducting a Saturday “Career Day”, interviewing candidates for an engineering team we were looking to fill. One candidate was being interviewed by my boss, who noticed that the applicant had a master’s degree in mechanical engineering.

Boss then asked the guy “Are you thinking of getting a doctorate degree in your field?”, to which the guy replied “Nah. Every PhD I’ve known had his head up his butt.”

My boss then enlightened the candidate that he was indeed holder of a PhD himself. Interview went downhill from there!  ;D

Now I might have given that guy the job for his sheer gall and the fact that it simply happens to be true. Talk about speaking truth to power.  ;D  ;D  ;D

(no offense to you PhD's out there  ;D ;D ;D)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/22 at 12:17 pm

Only 6 victims got killed. Apparently the perp was a manager… he walked into the break room and started blasting, then plugged himself.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/deaths-reported-virginia-walmart-gunman-dead-police-say-2022-11-23/

The perp has been identified as André Marcus Bing.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/23/22 at 2:58 pm

Only 6 victims got killed. Apparently the perp was a manager… he walked into the break room and started blasting, then plugged himself.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/deaths-reported-virginia-walmart-gunman-dead-police-say-2022-11-23/

The perp has been identified as André Marcus Bing.

Different sources said different things. Apparently some of them were misprint titles. 10 may have been the number shot while 4 of them were non-fatal.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/22 at 3:50 pm

No one is safe anywhere you go. :(

Written By: Howard on 11/23/22 at 3:51 pm

Latest news on the shooting at the Colorado GBTLIA+ bar:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/23/colorado-shooting-suspect-anderson-aldrich-is-nonbinary-lawyers/

Apparently the shooter identifies as “non-binary” and prefers being addressed as neither Mr, Mrs, or Miss, but rather “Mx.”. First I heard of that.

Also it turns out his father was a former porno star who went by the stage name, Dick Delaware. :o

D.D. appeared in hard core flicks “White Boys Can Hump’’ in 2016 (co-starring with Anthony Hardwood and Buster Good) and “My Boss Boss 8” in 2014, according to his IMDb page.

How did his Father get into the porn business?  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/22 at 4:49 pm

How did his Father get into the porn business?  :o

According to one article:

(Dick Delaware) has a career record in MMA, across UFC and other fighting competitions, of 29 wins and 27 losses.

He was encouraged into doing porn by a producer at a party and began starring in films in 2002. He returned to the adult industry in 2019 after a lengthy hiatus.

Some other film titles of his include fare such as  Stimulus Package, Service Animals 14, Naughty Neighbors 13, Chubby Chasers, and Porn Valley P.T.A.. Although the titles of most of his films cannot be posted here because they’d violate the InThe00s terms of service.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/24/22 at 2:55 am

According to one article:

Some other film titles of his include fare such as  Stimulus Package, Service Animals 14, Naughty Neighbors 13, Chubby Chasers, and Porn Valley P.T.A.. Although the titles of most of his films cannot be posted here because they’d violate the InThe00s terms of service.  :o

It's better you watch them on a different place.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/26/22 at 11:36 am

No one is safe anywhere you go. :(

Not in this country anyways. Having this many hundreds of mass shooting incidents in one year is unheard of in most first world countries, including Canada.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/26/22 at 11:51 am

Not in this country anyways. Having this many hundreds of mass shooting incidents in one year is unheard of in most first world countries, including Canada.

And yet people are beating down the doors to enter.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/26/22 at 12:03 pm

And yet people are beating down the doors to enter.

Mostly people from places much worse than here. I'll gladly exit. There are plenty of countries with a much better quality of life and more freedoms than this one. Waking up in this country is probably one of the main reasons why I'm so unhappy and miserable. Some of the best years of my life were when I was living overseas.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/22 at 1:26 pm

To be honest Bat, this year was just insane.  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/27/22 at 6:41 am

Protests in China over the Zero COVID policy, including the "iPhone City".

To be honest Bat, this year was just insane.  :o

But this in an every year issue, only gotten worse in the post-COVID years.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/22 at 3:05 pm

Do you see it getting any better in the next few years or will it just stay the same (status quo)?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 7:47 am

Bob Dylan has issued a rare public statement to apologise for using a machine to duplicate his signature on books and artworks since 2019.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 8:11 am

Chinese police beat a BBC journalist in Shanghai and briefly arrested him while he was covering anti-government lockdown protests gripping the nation.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/28/22 at 12:31 pm

Bob Dylan has issued a rare public statement to apologise for using a machine to duplicate his signature on books and artworks since 2019.

Looks like his signature never changed while The Times They Are A-Changing, lol

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/28/22 at 12:53 pm

Here is Bob Dylan's complete statement:

To my fans and followers,

I’ve been made aware that there’s some controversy about signatures on some of my recent artwork prints and on a limited-edition of Philosophy Of Modern Song.  I’ve hand-signed each and every art print over the years, and there’s never been a problem.

However, in 2019 I had a bad case of vertigo and it continued into the pandemic years.  It takes a crew of five working in close quarters with me to help enable these signing sessions, and we could not find a safe and workable way to complete what I needed to do while the virus was raging.  So, during the pandemic, it was impossible to sign anything and the vertigo didn’t help.  With contractual deadlines looming, the idea of using an auto-pen was suggested to me, along with the assurance that this kind of thing is done ‘all the time’ in the art and literary worlds. 
Using a machine was an error in judgment and I want to rectify it immediately.  I’m working with Simon & Schuster and my gallery partners to do just that.

With my deepest regrets,

Bob Dylan

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 1:06 pm

I’ve been made aware that there’s some controversy about signatures on some of my recent artwork prints and on a limited-edition of Philosophy Of Modern Song.  I’ve hand-signed each and every art print over the years, and there’s never been a problem.

However, in 2019 I had a bad case of vertigo and it continued into the pandemic years.  It takes a crew of five working in close quarters with me to help enable these signing sessions, and we could not find a safe and workable way to complete what I needed to do while the virus was raging.  So, during the pandemic, it was impossible to sign anything and the vertigo didn’t help.  With contractual deadlines looming, the idea of using an auto-pen was suggested to me, along with the assurance that this kind of thing is done ‘all the time’ in the art and literary worlds. 
Using a machine was an error in judgment and I want to rectify it immediately.  I’m working with Simon & Schuster and my gallery partners to do just that.

With my deepest regrets,

Bob Dylan

Look out, kid
It's somethin' I did
God knows when
But I'm not doin' it again

http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/thanksgiving/grin.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/22 at 1:56 pm

With my deepest regrets,

Bob Dylan

There is a rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 2:22 pm

There is a rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.

Cat
In the past few months Bob Dylan has toured Europe and the UK...

...probably resting now.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/22 at 2:52 pm

...probably resting now.

I'm thinking he needs the rest.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/22 at 2:55 pm

...probably resting now.

I saw him preform in Greece back in the dark ages. I wasn't impressed.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 3:09 pm

I saw him preform in Greece back in the dark ages. I wasn't impressed.

Cat
I have a friend who has followed Bob Dylan all his life, his all the albums, books, etc, and when he saw he live (more recently) is not impressed as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 5:14 pm

A protester carrying a rainbow flag invaded the pitch during the World Cup game between Portugal and Uruguay.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:06 am

Mother kills her own children.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/22 at 4:50 am

A protester carrying a rainbow flag invaded the pitch during the World Cup game between Portugal and Uruguay.
The press are now asking where is the protester now?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/22 at 5:16 am

I have a friend who has followed Bob Dylan all his life, his all the albums, books, etc, and when he saw he live (more recently) is not impressed as well.

I had a fellow high school classmate who was completely absorbed in all things Bob Dylan. Basically wasted his life away doing dope and listening to Dylan music until he finally OD’d. Named his kid Dylan too.  One of three of my classmates who pretty much F-ed up their lives with drugs.

One was voted “most likely to succeed”.  Smartest guy in our class, best athlete, good looking… we figured he’d be running the country by now. Instead he went way deep into dope, and when I run into him occasionally at the grocery store, he’s disheveled and barely coherent. Moral of the story: STAY AWAY FROM DOPE.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/22 at 5:19 am

Fewer than half of people in England and Wales have described themselves as Christian for the first time, the 2021 census has revealed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/22 at 7:11 am

Looks like his signature never changed while The Times They Are A-Changing, lol
BTW, my signature (and handwriting) has got worse over the years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/22 at 7:11 am

People in China who attended weekend protests against Covid restrictions say they have been contacted by police, as authorities begin clamping down

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:28 pm

I had a fellow high school classmate who was completely absorbed in all things Bob Dylan. Basically wasted his life away doing dope and listening to Dylan music until he finally OD’d. Named his kid Dylan too.  One of three of my classmates who pretty much F-ed up their lives with drugs.

One was voted “most likely to succeed”.  Smartest guy in our class, best athlete, good looking… we figured he’d be running the country by now. Instead he went way deep into dope, and when I run into him occasionally at the grocery store, he’s disheveled and barely coherent. Moral of the story: STAY AWAY FROM DOPE.

Wow, so all that made him into a slob? :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/02/22 at 8:03 am

Musk has suspended Ye's Twitter account for violating the terms and conditions regarding inciting violence.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/22 at 3:37 pm

Musk has suspended Ye's Twitter account for violating the terms and conditions regarding inciting violence.

It figures!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/22 at 12:25 pm

Sir Elton John is to headline the Glastonbury Festival next summer, playing what will be the last UK date of his farewell tour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/22 at 2:31 pm

Indonesia's Mount Semeru volcano has erupted, sending ash billowing into the sky and sparking evacuations on the country's main island, Java.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/22 at 3:01 pm

Sir Elton John is to headline the Glastonbury Festival next summer, playing what will be the last UK date of his farewell tour.

So he'll be retiring for good? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/22 at 3:16 pm

So he'll be retiring for good? ???
...from performing, I would guess, he can still carry on composing songs I would think.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/22 at 3:37 pm

...from performing, I would guess, he can still carry on composing songs I would think.

I'm thinking he's been doing this for about 50 years?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/22 at 6:06 am

Airline passengers in the European Union (EU) will soon be able to use their phones to full effect in the sky.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/22 at 2:17 pm

Airline passengers in the European Union (EU) will soon be able to use their phones to full effect in the sky.

They got to make sure their phones are on "airplane mode".

Written By: Howard on 12/05/22 at 2:18 pm

Woman gets acid thrown in their face by a stranger on a train.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/05/22 at 2:25 pm

- A substation in North Carolina is shot with bullets and takes out power for approximately 50,000 people. FBI is investigating.

- Sacha Baron Cohen performed in his Borat character at the Kennedy Center Honors lashing out about Trump and Ye and  antisemitism.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/22 at 5:29 pm

- A substation in North Carolina is shot with bullets and takes out power for approximately 50,000 people. FBI is investigating.

Sounds like they suspect foul play.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/22 at 3:00 am

Person shoots a 96 year old man in a wheelchair by accident.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/22 at 9:40 am

Twenty-five people have been arrested in raids across Germany on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the government.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/22 at 9:41 am

Border Force staff are going on strike for eight days over Christmas at Heathrow, Gatwick and several other airports in the UK, the PCS union has announced.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/22 at 2:59 am

Americans dug for new word definitions in Google this year, looking up terms like tacit, cacao and foray, driven by a nearly singular pursuit - Wordle.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/08/22 at 8:02 am

Brittney Griner has been released from the Russian prison in a prisoner exchange for arms dealer Viktor Baut.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/22 at 2:10 pm

Brittney Griner has been released from the Russian prison in a prisoner exchange for arms dealer Viktor Baut.

Is Brittney supposed to be a guy or girl cause when I heard interviews from many years ago, I'm thinking that she's a he.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/22 at 6:47 pm

Is Brittney supposed to be a guy or girl cause when I heard interviews from many years ago, I'm thinking that she's a he.

She’s LGBTQIA+.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/22 at 3:08 am

She’s LGBTQIA+.

O0

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/09/22 at 6:04 am

She’s LGBTQIA+.

The L part anyways as far as I know she is female and has a wife. All I can say is Christmas came early for them.

Written By: Elor on 12/09/22 at 9:49 am

The L part anyways as far as I know she is female and has a wife. All I can say is Christmas came early for them.
Still pretty stupid to exchange such a dangerous man for that fool IMHO. ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/09/22 at 3:22 pm

Was Brittney at one time ever into men or no?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/22 at 11:52 am

The Russian co-winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize has said Kremlin authorities told him to turn down the award.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/22 at 2:43 pm

Brittney Griner arrested in Russia.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/22 at 5:25 am

A nurses' strike this month may be called off if the health secretary negotiates "seriously" over pay, says the head of the Royal College of Nursing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/22 at 5:27 am

Brittney Griner arrested in Russia.
Ten months after she left the US to play basketball in Russia, WNBA star Brittney Griner has landed in her home state of Texas.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/22 at 6:37 am

A Libyan man accused of making the bomb which destroyed Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie 34 years ago is in United States custody, Scottish authorities have said.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/22 at 6:50 am

Parts of the UK are experiencing severe conditions this weekend, as snow and ice hits Scotland and the south-west of England.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/22 at 3:08 pm

Ten months after she left the US to play basketball in Russia, WNBA star Brittney Griner has landed in her home state of Texas.

I hope she goes home and parties with her wife.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/22 at 3:20 pm

She as at home! At least the same state.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/11/22 at 3:22 pm

And puff away with cannabis vape cartridges.  :P

Written By: Elor on 12/12/22 at 2:41 am

And thinks about why the "dealer of death" is a free man now. >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/12/22 at 3:00 am

And maybe some drinking too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/22 at 1:45 pm

A major breakthrough has been announced by US scientists in the race to recreate nuclear fusion.

here

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/16/22 at 5:00 pm

In Peru around 300 tourists are stranded in Machu Picchu due to protests in the surrounding areas.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/22 at 3:02 am

Trump announces his bid for 2024 election.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/22 at 4:58 am

Trump announces his bid for 2024 election.

And sells ‘virtual playing cards’ for $99 a pop.  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/17/22 at 11:19 am

I'd love to know how many he sells

Written By: Howard on 12/17/22 at 2:36 pm

Why is it so expensive? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/22 at 3:54 pm

Why is it so expensive? ???

I dunno, but he sold out all 45,000 cards.  :o

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63995563

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/19/22 at 8:59 am

Mass shootings are rare in Canada but they do happen occasionally, like the one in a condo in the suburbs of Toronto that killed 5 last night.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/22 at 3:46 pm

Mass shootings are rare in Canada but they do happen occasionally, like the one in a condo in the suburbs of Toronto that killed 5 last night.

Were they able to catch the shooter? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/20/22 at 9:00 am

- Freezing cold temperatures in most of US a few days before Christmas could disrupt travel plans
- Earthquake in the area of Eureka, California

Written By: Howard on 12/20/22 at 3:43 pm

- Freezing cold temperatures in most of US a few days before Christmas could disrupt travel plans
- Earthquake in the area of Eureka, California

Thank God the freezing cold will only last 2 days till it starts to warm up slightly to the upper 30's and low 40's.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/23/22 at 6:26 am

CNN's interactive the year in pictures:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/specials/year-in-pictures/

Check for new replies or respond here...