inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: As It Was - the anthem of Summer 2022

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/22 at 10:39 am

Just about every summer has one particular song that stands out above the rest and is considered the de facto song of the summer (ex: Sexy Back in 2006, Party Rock Anthem in 2011, Call Me Maybe in 2012, etc). For 2022 I'm pretty sure it's "As It Was" by Harry Styles. Not only has it held #1 in the charts, but it's everywhere especially on social media reels on TikTok and IG. What are your thoughts? Any disputes on this?

Subject: Re: As It Was - the anthem of Summer 2022

Written By: Slim95 on 07/17/22 at 7:40 pm

The so song's too generic. I would still say 2022 is slightly better than 2021 music-wise, but nowhere near as good as 2020.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/17/22 at 10:10 pm

Not to be pedantic, but SexyBack was more the song of the fall 2006. It didn't hit #1 until September and stuck around until late October. Promiscuous, which was #1 for most of July and half of August, has a better claim to the song of the summer title.

As for this year, it definitely seems like As It Was is the go-to, though I personally don't think it has real summer hit vibes. It's not this fun song you can dance to like I think a summer song should be.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/18/22 at 8:22 pm

Not to be pedantic, but SexyBack was more the song of the fall 2006. It didn't hit #1 until September and stuck around until late October. Promiscuous, which was #1 for most of July and half of August, has a better claim to the song of the summer title.

As for this year, it definitely seems like As It Was is the go-to, though I personally don't think it has real summer hit vibes. It's not this fun song you can dance to like I think a summer song should be.

I thought it was earlier, like June or July. For this year there aren't really any fun songs to dance to, unless you count Beyone's early 90's style house/dance.

The so song's too generic. I would still say 2022 is slightly better than 2021 music-wise, but nowhere near as good as 2020.

It's hard to say, as 2021 wasn't that great either. For sure neither of them compare to 2020. 2022 may have 2021 beat for quantity as for the number of songs in my playlist for the first half, but 2021 had quite a few songs that were better in quality than anything in 2022. Most of the songs in my 2022 playlist are ones that I just kind of like, and only a handful that I really like. Music fell off the cliff about a month ago. It seems they dropped all the good music in the first half and now we've been in a drought.

Written By: Wink-182 on 07/20/22 at 2:08 pm

Yeah it's the closest thing I feel we have to a summer hit this year, even though it doesn't really feel like it and it has such a somber vibe to it. I feel like 2019 was the last year we've had a huge poppy-sounding summer hit, with Lil Nas X's Old Town Road. I feel like As It Was, Sweetest Pie, and abcddefu were really the only major hit songs I've heard so far this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...