inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beyoncé Accused of Ableism

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/02/22 at 9:11 am

Beyoncé will change a lyric in her latest album after accusations of ableism

www.npr.org/2022/08/02/1115081955/beyonce-change-lyric-latest-album-renaissance-accusations-ableism

Beyoncé will change a lyric in one of the songs on Renaissance in order to remove an offensive and ableist term.

On the album's 11th track, "Heated," which features Beyoncé and Drake among its writers, is the word "spaz," a term that disability activists have called an ableist slur.

Beyoncé's publicist told NPR over email that the lyric will be changed.

"The word, not used intentionally in a harmful way, will be replaced," the publicist said.

This is not the first time an artist has been criticized for using the term.

In June, Lizzo changed a lyric in one of her songs after receiving the same criticism. She posted a statement on social media explaining her reasoning for changing the lyrics and apologized to the communities she offended.

Disability advocate Hannah Diviney, who also called out Lizzo for using the word, wrote an opinion piece for The Guardian expressing her disappointment in Beyoncé for using the lyric.

"I thought we'd changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music," Diviney wrote.

While saying it's important that people are held accountable for their actions, some people have noted the higher standard that Black women face compared with other artists. Black disability activist Vilissa Thompson previously told NPR how white artists who use ableist language do not receive the same visceral reaction as Black artists.

"Grace and room for correction are typically not given . The double standard of inconsistent reactions is profound. They don't trust Black people to do the right thing," Thompson said.

The word "spaz" comes from the term "spastic," which is used to refer to people with spastic paralysis or cerebral palsy. The word has evolved into a derogatory term for people with disabilities and has been used to describe "weird" or "uncool" behavior usually related to physical movement.

Thompson said that the meaning and context of words change over time and that it's important to unlearn a term that is offensive.

"The onus is on us to not just unlearn but also update and improve the way that we communicate with each other, so that our words are intentionally used, so that they don't cause unintentional harm," Thompson said.

Subject: Re: Beyoncé Accused of Ableism

Written By: Contigo on 08/02/22 at 1:37 pm

There must be a vast number of films or TV shows that have used that word in its dialogue somewhere , and a large # of comedians who have used that word in their stand up routines.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/02/22 at 1:49 pm

There must be a vast number of films or TV shows that have used that word in its dialogue somewhere , and a large # of comedians who have used that word in their stand up routines.

Not any more.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/22 at 2:27 pm

Beyoncé will change a lyric in her latest album after accusations of ableism

www.npr.org/2022/08/02/1115081955/beyonce-change-lyric-latest-album-renaissance-accusations-ableism

Beyoncé will change a lyric in one of the songs on Renaissance in order to remove an offensive and ableist term.

On the album's 11th track, "Heated," which features Beyoncé and Drake among its writers, is the word "spaz," a term that disability activists have called an ableist slur.

Beyoncé's publicist told NPR over email that the lyric will be changed.

"The word, not used intentionally in a harmful way, will be replaced," the publicist said.

This is not the first time an artist has been criticized for using the term.

In June, Lizzo changed a lyric in one of her songs after receiving the same criticism. She posted a statement on social media explaining her reasoning for changing the lyrics and apologized to the communities she offended.

Disability advocate Hannah Diviney, who also called out Lizzo for using the word, wrote an opinion piece for The Guardian expressing her disappointment in Beyoncé for using the lyric.

"I thought we'd changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music," Diviney wrote.

While saying it's important that people are held accountable for their actions, some people have noted the higher standard that Black women face compared with other artists. Black disability activist Vilissa Thompson previously told NPR how white artists who use ableist language do not receive the same visceral reaction as Black artists.

"Grace and room for correction are typically not given . The double standard of inconsistent reactions is profound. They don't trust Black people to do the right thing," Thompson said.

The word "spaz" comes from the term "spastic," which is used to refer to people with spastic paralysis or cerebral palsy. The word has evolved into a derogatory term for people with disabilities and has been used to describe "weird" or "uncool" behavior usually related to physical movement.

Thompson said that the meaning and context of words change over time and that it's important to unlearn a term that is offensive.

"The onus is on us to not just unlearn but also update and improve the way that we communicate with each other, so that our words are intentionally used, so that they don't cause unintentional harm," Thompson said.

I understand where they're coming from but I don't think the word 'spaz" is such a big deal.

Written By: J. Rob on 08/04/22 at 12:48 pm

I've never heard that term used toward disabled people in any context. "Wild out", "go off", "snap"....are completely synonymous.

I feel like performative wokeness is losing steam

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/04/22 at 12:58 pm

I've never heard that term used toward disabled people in any context. "Wild out", "go off", "snap"....are completely synonymous.

I feel like performative wokeness is losing steam

Oh, I know what you mean. But they don't cancel these words because they are being used towards disabled people. They cancel them because they were once legitimate words (being "spastic" is a specific medical condition) used to describe medical or mental conditions that have since become all purpose insults. Like "retard". But I hope you are correct about performative wokeness a/k/a "virtue signaling" losing steam.

Written By: karen on 08/04/22 at 2:24 pm

Spaz was a common insult (almost used in a jokey way between friends) in the U.K. in the seventies and eighties. I don’t think it is used any more and I would consider it a very rude word if I heard anyone using it today

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/22 at 3:26 pm

Spaz was a common insult (almost used in a jokey way between friends) in the U.K. in the seventies and eighties.

This is how I always thought of the word. I never realized that it is offensive to some.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/22 at 5:00 pm

Spaz was a common insult (almost used in a jokey way between friends) in the U.K. in the seventies and eighties. I don’t think it is used any more and I would consider it a very rude word if I heard anyone using it today

I had a classmate named Spaziani. We called him Spaz for short.

I guess we have to change his nickname now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/05/22 at 12:24 am

This is how I always thought of the word. I never realized that it is offensive to some.

Cat

It's one of those words tat people may not be aware of because they are not making the connection between "spaz" and "spastic", although I myself remember "spastic" also being hurled as a jokey insult before it got shortened. I'd wager that most people don't get the connection between "gypped" and "gypsy" either.  "Gyp" is another word that has been cancelled because it is offensive to Roma Gypsies and perpetrates the stereotype of the Gypsy as a thief. Sometimes it pops up on old TV shows from the 60s that I watch like The Munsters and it seems jarring now. It would never be used in a TV show now. Yet when I was a kid we freely through it around. "Don't try to gyp me", etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 12:45 am

Also, there was a chain of charity shop which involved the word for the origin of that word, and the name of the shop was changed.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/22 at 3:43 am

Cat

Me neither.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/22 at 5:25 am

It's one of those words tat people may not be aware of because they are not making the connection between "spaz" and "spastic", although I myself remember "spastic" also being hurled as a jokey insult before it got shortened. I'd wager that most people don't get the connection between "gypped" and "gypsy" either.  "Gyp" is another word that has been cancelled because it is offensive to Roma Gypsies and perpetrates the stereotype of the Gypsy as a thief. Sometimes it pops up on old TV shows from the 60s that I watch like The Munsters and it seems jarring now. It would never be used in a TV show now. Yet when I was a kid we freely through it around. "Don't try to gyp me", etc.

My company has a customer that is in the gypsum business. We simply refer to them as “Amalgamated Gyp” as a shortened name to “Amalgamated Gypsum”.

Written By: karen on 08/05/22 at 4:53 pm

Cat

Watching TV at the moment. The Last Leg is on and they are discussing this. All are agreed that “spaz” is very insulting. No one can understand why anyone thought it would be acceptable as a song lyric

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/22 at 6:12 pm

”So if they call you a dork
A spaz or a geek
Stand up and be proud
Don't be meek (hey!)
Beautiful people
Haven't you heard
The joke's on you
It's revenge of the nerds”

Check for new replies or respond here...