inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020 Atmosphere Thread

Written By: NightmareFarm on 08/08/22 at 7:15 am

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/297820267_515154410384256_7810186272983574996_n.png?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=qqe-vYAoansAX9jYwo5&_nc_oc=AQl-ihY5b3bkSHVgaZ4QQd_gL3Mi1zzceYKD2YICANaqlzLR9sDMtWg6S-f4j-5BCVs&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-2.fna&oh=03_AVIWbYLEtrueBPLh2dCiygOZvmNKJamgJY-6zqduqsqIAw&oe=63166212

This year actually happened... r-r-ight...?

Subject: Re: 2020 Atmosphere Thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/22 at 8:04 am

Was the year "Twenty Twenty" or Two Thousand and Twenty"?

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/08/22 at 10:35 am

This video best shows the atmosphere of Spring 2020, the depressing and somber vibe of being in quarantine.

0sBo0jasxH4

Otoh this video shows more of the vibe of Fall 2020, when people have come to acceptance and gotten used to the "new normal".

ppZJKv_f4rk

Was the year "Twenty Twenty" or Two Thousand and Twenty"?

I don't know anyone who called it the latter. The 2010's years might have been, even "Two Thousand Nineteen". Btw I remember the "2020 vision" jokes.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/22 at 1:31 pm

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/297820267_515154410384256_7810186272983574996_n.png?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=qqe-vYAoansAX9jYwo5&_nc_oc=AQl-ihY5b3bkSHVgaZ4QQd_gL3Mi1zzceYKD2YICANaqlzLR9sDMtWg6S-f4j-5BCVs&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-2.fna&oh=03_AVIWbYLEtrueBPLh2dCiygOZvmNKJamgJY-6zqduqsqIAw&oe=63166212

This year actually happened... r-r-ight...?

This was the year that the whole world went quiet, people were starting to wear face masks and I never knew why, public transportation was free, We were all doing Zoom and people were "social distancing".

Written By: Slim95 on 08/09/22 at 9:55 pm

This was the year that the whole world went quiet, people were starting to wear face masks and I never knew why, public transportation was free, We were all doing Zoom and people were "social distancing".

Public transit wasn't free here but the bus drivers didn't check fares in 2020 because you were not allowed to enter through the front doors. You needed to enter the back door. So it was an honour system.

You were asked to rip up your ticket when you entered the bus once, that half ticket was considered your transfer. And then when the 90 minutes were up you were asked to rip it up one more time which would be consider the ticket being no longer valid. And they relied completely on the honour system for this, no one was checking it and no one could due to not being allowed to enter the front doors and mandated social distancing.

2020 was a weird year.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/22 at 3:12 am

Public transit wasn't free here but the bus drivers didn't check fares in 2020 because you were not allowed to enter through the front doors. You needed to enter the back door. So it was an honour system.

You were asked to rip up your ticket when you entered the bus once, that half ticket was considered your transfer. And then when the 90 minutes were up you were asked to rip it up one more time which would be consider the ticket being no longer valid. And they relied completely on the honour system for this, no one was checking it and no one could due to not being allowed to enter the front doors and mandated social distancing.

2020 was a weird year.

That's what MTA here in New York did, we had to enter thru the back door and didn't pay fare, buses were pretty much empty for the first year then it started getting crowded again when people started taking public transportation a year later.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/10/22 at 2:52 pm

The sad thing is I actually miss 2020. Maybe because 2022 has been sucking so bad for me personally so 2020 looks better by comparison. I also thought there were plenty of silver linings during the pandemic.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/22 at 3:01 pm

The sad thing is I actually miss 2020. Maybe because 2022 has been sucking so bad for me personally so 2020 looks better by comparison. I also thought there were plenty of silver linings during the pandemic.

I don't miss 2020, it could stay in the past.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 08/12/22 at 3:48 am

I already miss parts of 2020, specifically the start, pre-pandemic. The "fake early 2020s". There were multiple vibes within this year because it was so unprecedented. In fact I'd separate the year like this:

-Fake early 2020s (Start of year - March 11th)
-Early Covid (March 12th - May 24th) - the lockdowns were kinda exciting at first IMO, it was such a new experience
-The summer (May 25th - late August) had a heavy weight over it, things really went downhill after George Floyd's death. Politics got more heated than ever with the upcoming election & riots were going on every night
-The fall (Late August - the election) - despite the election being right around the corner things started seeming better, some restrictions started easing & people weren't rioting as much
-From the election to the end of the year things were a lot calmer, even with half the country upset about the results

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/12/22 at 12:04 pm

I already miss parts of 2020, specifically the start, pre-pandemic. The "fake early 2020s". There were multiple vibes within this year because it was so unprecedented. In fact I'd separate the year like this:

-Early Covid (March 12th - May 24th) - the lockdowns were kinda exciting at first IMO, it was such a new experience
-The summer (May 25th - late August) had a heavy weight over it, things really went downhill after George Floyd's death. Politics got more heated than ever with the upcoming election & riots were going on every night
-The fall (Late August - the election) - despite the election being right around the corner things started seeming better, some restrictions started easing & people weren't rioting as much
-From the election to the end of the year things were a lot calmer, even with half the country upset about the results

That's the parts I liked/miss about 2020, the first two months and August through December.

In August I took a vacation for two weeks, and even though it wasn't the originally planned vacation it was enjoyable. Everywhere we went seemed to have a calm and peaceful atmosphere despite what was on the news.

At the time I was happy about the election results as I had no idea what the following years were going to be like. The Christmas season was peaceful as well despite it being a socially distanced/Zoom Christmas. The vibe continued/improved through the first half of 2021 before going back downhill over the summer.

Also throughout the entire year of 2020 there was plenty of good music, and music can really affect the mood.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 1:20 pm

I missed many a birthday party in 2020.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/22 at 2:24 pm

I missed many a birthday party in 2020.

I missed getting a haircut when there was a lockdown and my barber was closed for a while.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/22 at 3:21 pm

I missed getting a haircut when there was a lockdown and my barber was closed for a while.
I had no problem there, a member of my family cut our hair and is very good at it now.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/22 at 7:46 pm

I love the fake early 2020s too. It's interesting to think that would be the tone of the era if the pandemic didn't happen.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/22 at 7:00 am

I had no problem there, a member of my family cut our hair and is very good at it now.

I had to wait just a few months for mine.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/13/22 at 7:45 am

I love the fake early 2020s too. It's interesting to think that would be the tone of the era if the pandemic didn't happen.

Yeah, everything would have played out differently. The Tokyo Olympics would have been held that summer. The year overall would have had more of a "feel good" vibe. Only Trump would have been reelected even though the alternative wasn't much better, and I think the Ukraine War wouldn't have happened. Hurricane Ida might have been his biggest dilemma. Also The Batman would have released in Summer 2021, making it a great summer for movies. 2022 probably would have still sucked though, but mainly just because of the bland pop-culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/22 at 4:22 pm

Yeah, everything would have played out differently. The Tokyo Olympics would have been held that summer. The year overall would have had more of a "feel good" vibe. Only Trump would have been reelected even though the alternative wasn't much better, and I think the Ukraine War wouldn't have happened. Hurricane Ida might have been his biggest dilemma. Also The Batman would have released in Summer 2021, making it a great summer for movies. 2022 probably would have still sucked though, but mainly just because of the bland pop-culture.

And the only major news event of that year would be the January wildfires in Australia. Coronavirus would be looked at the same way as the Zika virus, a pandemic that happened in a single country which was China. Music would still be retro-pop since most of those albums were already recorded in 2019. We wouldn't have pandemic anthems like Level of Concern,  Toosie Slide, and Gnat. But it would be a feel good fun year. Imagine The Weeknd's Blinding Lights playing in every club.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/22 at 3:04 am

And if the Coronavirus had stayed in China, we most likely wouldn't be having this problem?

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/14/22 at 5:51 am

And if the Coronavirus had stayed in China, we most likely wouldn't be having this problem?

Exactly. Our way of life would be completely different now.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/22 at 2:10 pm

Exactly. Our way of life would be completely different now.

We wouldn't be wearing surgical masks, social distance and buying a load of hand sanitizers.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/22 at 12:06 pm

I don't miss 2020, it could stay in the past.

People hated 2020 because they couldn't leave their house and be around people, while I actually loved it because I didn't have to leave my house and be around people.

I also miss when my daily commute was walking down the stairs to the basement to my home office. Now it's like I have to prepare for combat when I drive to/from the office with all the people driving like maniacs. There are days when literally the commute is more stressful than the job itself.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/22 at 12:13 pm

Covid came to America in January. By March it had come to the Midwest.  :(

Written By: Howard on 08/29/22 at 2:40 pm

People hated 2020 because they couldn't leave their house and be around people, while I actually loved it because I didn't have to leave my house and be around people.

I also miss when my daily commute was walking down the stairs to the basement to my home office. Now it's like I have to prepare for combat when I drive to/from the office with all the people driving like maniacs. There are days when literally the commute is more stressful than the job itself.

I don't really hate 2020, there were some things I liked, I got a lot of things done around the house like a few house chores and doing stuff on the computer.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/22 at 11:12 pm

I don't really hate 2020, there were some things I liked, I got a lot of things done around the house like a few house chores and doing stuff on the computer.

2020 was a weird year where I both loved it and hated it at the same time. It's like you either love it, hate it, or both. No one is just neutral about that year. For me, it was a year of growth.  I really loved the first quarter, and part of the second quarter, but hated the rest. But looking back I've really grown a lot that year.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/22 at 7:06 am

2020 was a weird year where I both loved it and hated it at the same time. It's like you either love it, hate it, or both. No one is just neutral about that year. For me, it was a year of growth.  I really loved the first quarter, and part of the second quarter, but hated the rest. But looking back I've really grown a lot that year.

The only part I hated was when things closed for a few months especially my barber and I really needed a haircut so bad that I had to wait till he opened up when COVID rates dropped but we still had to wear the masks inside the shop.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/30/22 at 8:38 am

The only part I hated was when things closed for a few months especially my barber and I really needed a haircut so bad that I had to wait till he opened up when COVID rates dropped but we still had to wear the masks inside the shop.

The only part I hated was the feeling of uncertainty about the future. I'm the type that likes to plan everything in details and this time I had to learn to be more flexible and spontaneous, and just go with the flow.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/22 at 9:16 am

The early 2020's kinda has this 'slow techno pop' or 'slow electro pop' feel to it. Maybe it's my projection, or imagination. Whatever!

I'd say that Gen Z has kinda a 'laid back' vibe similar to that of Gen X. It was us Millennials that were shrill, divisive, and intense. A little bit of the latter personality traits can be good. I'm just saying that Gen Z is a bit different.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/30/22 at 9:45 am

I'd say that Gen Z has kinda a 'laid back' vibe similar to that of Gen X. It was us Millennials that were shrill, divisive, and intense. A little bit of the latter personality traits can be good. I'm just saying that Gen Z is a bit different.

A reasonable analysis. It seems Millennials were the first generation to realize they didn't have anything "new", anything TRULY their own. It was a truly postmodern, end-of-history world of  all "revival", rehash, recycle. Endless cycles rather than the forward thrust of the 20th Century. Witness all the posts here about "2017 was a revival of the first two months of 2010 which was an 80s revival". And on it goes in ever decreasing circles. Hence, this gave rise to the "hipster" mentality that went on for a while in which things (often kitschy) from the past were considered cool and hip, but always viewed through a scrim of irony. I always thought that was so sad. Imagine living life through irony only! Pathetic. Though the "hipster" persona has faded, the attitude got absorbed into the culture. By the time Gen Z came along it was just part of their world, it's all they had known, so they have no reason not to be laid back about it.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/22 at 1:57 pm

I also hated when we had to "social distance" everywhere you went to at every place you had to stand 6 feet, after a while this just got so annoying.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 6:44 am

I also hated when we had to "social distance" everywhere you went to at every place you had to stand 6 feet, after a while this just got so annoying.  ::)
Being vulnerable I had to "social distance" I did not like it, but had too.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/22 at 3:02 pm

Being vulnerable I had to "social distance" I did not like it, but had too.

You had no choice but to comply.

Check for new replies or respond here...