inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Styles addresses queerbaiting accusations

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/22 at 9:47 am

Harry Styles, who by all appearance always seemed to identify as heterosexual, is giving open ended answers that would seem to some that he wants to be all things to all people. And seen by some as a marketing move.

Harry Styles opens up about his sexuality and addresses queerbaiting accusations
www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-pop-culture/harry-styles-opens-sexuality-addresses-queerbaiting-accusations-rcna44373

Excerpts:

Pop superstar Harry Styles is peeling back the curtain on his personal life, addressing accusations of queerbaiting, his sexuality and his romantic relationship with Olivia Wilde in a new interview with Rolling Stone.

Styles, known for his gender-fluid fashion emulating icons David Bowie and Mick Jagger before him, has fielded harsh criticism of queerbaiting — when one benefits from appearing as queer without claiming the community explicitly.

Unprompted, Styles brushed off comments regarding his sexual identity.

“Sometimes people say, ‘You’ve only publicly been with women,’ and I don’t think I’ve publicly been with anyone. If someone takes a picture of you with someone, it doesn’t mean you’re choosing to have a public relationship or something,” he said.

He's previously called the need to define one's sexuality "outdated," in an April interview with Better Homes & Gardens.

"It doesn’t matter, and it’s about not having to label everything, not having to clarify what boxes you’re checking," he told the magazine.

Styles is dating Wilde, the director of his upcoming September film "Don't Worry Darling." She's been seen at several of his packed shows dancing along to his music, and the two have been snapped by paparazzi hand in hand.

Subject: Re: Harry Styles addresses queerbaiting accusations

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/22 at 12:05 pm

What is queerbating?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/22 at 12:57 pm

What is queerbating?  ???

Did you read the post?

Styles, known for his gender-fluid fashion emulating icons David Bowie and Mick Jagger before him, has fielded harsh criticism of queerbaiting — when one benefits from appearing as queer without claiming the community explicitly.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/22 at 2:09 pm

Did you read the post?

How does one “appear” to be queer?  Seems like that would be judgmental.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/22 at 4:04 pm

How does one “appear” to be queer?  Seems like that would be judgmental.

If one was indeed queerbaiting, they would "appear" to be queer by their words or actions, whatever one thought it might mean to be "queer", and apparently some people pick up on this.  Harry Styles is being very cagey about it. He seems to be using the "neither confirm nor deny" method.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/22 at 4:13 pm

If one was indeed queerbaiting, they would "appear" to be queer by their words or actions, whatever one thought it might mean to be "queer", and apparently some people pick up on this.  Harry Styles is being very cagey about it. He seems to be using the "neither confirm nor deny" method.

You mean like wearing black leather caps, thick horseshoe moustaches,  or sailor uniforms?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/917Qf6V8ZkL._SX522_.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/22 at 7:42 pm

You mean like wearing black leather caps, thick horseshoe moustaches,  or sailor uniforms?

That isn't queerbaiting, that's queer asserting, I would say. Stereotypical or no. Remember the definition:

when one benefits from appearing as queer without claiming the community explicitly.

The Village People claimed the community explicitly. 

By the way, another onion"in the politically correct soup. I don't think the "Indian" would fly in today's day and age.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/22 at 9:06 pm

By the way, another onion"in the politically correct soup. I don't think the "Indian" would fly in today's day and age.

Indeed. “Native American” would be a more appropriate description.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/24/22 at 10:28 pm

I wasn't about the terminology, i was talking about the look.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/22 at 12:50 am

That term is total a different race altogether.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/22 at 3:25 am

Doesn't he have a girlfriend?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/22 at 9:03 am

That term is total a different race altogether.

You're both correct but you are missing my point. I was talking about the depiction of the "Indian". When was the last time you saw an indigenous person of the US or Canada walking around dressed like that unless it was a specific ceremonial occasion? You don't, because they dress like everybody else. If somebody showed up on TV to sing dressed like that in this day and age it would cause an uproar. On the other hand, the uniforms of the motorcycle cop, sailor, construction worker, "leather man" (some people just like to dress like that) and to some extent working cowboy are basically as depicted.

Written By: Contigo on 08/25/22 at 5:54 pm

On the other side of the spectrum, could we accuse Rock Hudson of "straightbating'?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/25/22 at 6:53 pm

On the other side of the spectrum, could we accuse Rock Hudson of "straightbating'?  ???

There's a difference. With Rock Hudson, it's pretty clear he would not have been able to work as a Hollywood actor in that day and age if he was open about his sexuality. With Harry Styles, if he is indeed "queerbaiting", it would be to appear hip and to enlarge his audience. In other words, he's playing a game whereas with Hudson it was a matter of survival. 

To make things even more confusing, one would think that Harry Styles would come across as very "woke" by doing what he is doing. You know, "embracing all", so to speak. But the criticism is coming from the "woke" side who say he is "queerbaiting". The far right website Breitbart  saw it's chance with this and ran the headline "Never Woke Enough: Harry Styles Slammed As Homophobic-'Queer People Don't Need Him and He Better Stop Speaking For Us'".

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/22 at 12:57 am

How do we include Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury in this?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/26/22 at 9:20 am

How do we include Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury in this?

Rock Hudson, Village People, Freddy Mercury...I don't know why people here are insisting on applying the very postmodern, identity politics concept of "queerbaiting" to figures of the past, from the pre-postmodern era. I would think "queerbaiting" is far more akin to "Blackfishing/Asianfishing" (non Black or Asian peoples trying to appear Black or Asian), both of which Arianna Grande, for example, has been accused of at times in the recent past, than anythng Rock Hudson or the Village People were doing.

And Freddy Mercury identified as a man attracted to men. I don't really see what that has to do with any of this.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 5:38 pm

Just my personal opinion. I think he's a bit on the bisexual side. But, that's just me.
I think there's a bit of queerbaiting there. But I do think a lot of gay and bisexual people are still in the closet in Hollywood.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/28/22 at 6:32 pm

Just my personal opinion. I think he's a bit on the bisexual side. But, that's just me.
I think there's a bit of queerbaiting there. But I do think a lot of gay and bisexual people are still in the closet in Hollywood.

At the end of the day, though, who really cares if Harry Styles putts from the rough?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/22 at 6:48 pm

At the end of the day, though, who really cares if Harry Styles putts from the rough?

Again the point missed...the point isn't whether he is or isn't. the point is how he's using it to appear "woke" and/or further his career. That's why he was accused of "queerbaiting", not "being queer".

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 7:20 pm

He might swing both ways. He might rough from the putts.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...