inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artemis 1

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/22 at 7:17 am

Artemis 1 is scheduled to launch tomorrow morning carrying the Orion Spacecraft, which will be the first mission to the moon in a half-century.

Subject: Re: Artemis 1

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/22 at 7:38 am

From wiki:

"The test flight is currently scheduled to launch on 29 August 2022 at 12:33 UTC from the Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex 39B, from which Apollo 10 was launched 53 years before.

Artemis 1 will last for three weeks and will test all the rocket stages and spacecraft that would be used in later Artemis missions. After reaching orbit and performing a trans-lunar injection (burn to the Moon), the mission will deploy ten CubeSat satellites and the Orion spacecraft will enter a distant retrograde orbit for six days. The Orion spacecraft will then return and reenter the Earth's atmosphere, protected by its heat shield, and splash down in the Pacific Ocean."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_1

I am interested in the same way I was back with the Apollo missions in the late 1960s and early 1970s, but this time the viewing will be in colour.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/28/22 at 3:34 pm

I remember the name "Artemis" from superman!!

I think that was the name of the craft they were in on the moon......

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/22 at 3:36 pm

I remember the name "Artemis" from superman!!

I think that was the name of the craft they were in on the moon......
I know Artemis as from the goddess of wild animals.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/22 at 4:23 pm

It's also the name of the avatar of the main female character in Ready Player One.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/28/22 at 4:45 pm

I remember the character of Artemis Gordon on The Wild, Wild West, played by Ross Martin 8). Artemis was the trusty sidekick of agent James West, who was portrayed by William Conrad

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 7:08 am

All in all, the launch could be with the next hour or so.

Subject: BREAKING: Artemis flight called off for the day

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 7:42 am

Nasa have just announced the launch director "has called a scrub for the day".

An engine bleed that "couldn't be remedied" is the cause.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 8:25 am

Nasa have just announced the launch director "has called a scrub for the day".

An engine bleed that "couldn't be remedied" is the cause.
The cancelling of today's mission "isn't unexpected", says Dr Becky Smethurst, an astrophysicist at the University of Oxford, who points out that there were snags during dress rehearsals earlier in the year.

"It literally is rocket science," she tells the BBC.

Dr Smethurst commends the engineers involved, saying she imagines the atmosphere on the ground was "insane" as Nasa personnel rushed around trying to find a last-minute fix for an engine issue.

She says she's "confident" that a couple more days will be enough to fix any snags ahead of a second launch attempt on Friday.

From the BBC.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 10:27 am

Latest:

Nasa has called off the launch of its big new Moon rocket - the Space Launch System (SLS). Controllers struggled to get an engine on the 100m-tall vehicle cooled down to its correct operating temperature.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62715616

Written By: karen on 08/30/22 at 7:59 am

Artemis is sister to Apollo

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 12:20 pm

I believe the launch is now scheduled for this Saturday.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/01/22 at 6:23 pm

I wonder if it will be called again?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 12:28 am

Nasa to try launching Artemis 1 mission again on Saturday

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/aug/30/nasa-to-try-launching-artemis-1-mission-again-on-saturday

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/02/22 at 6:31 am

I wonder if it will be called again?

No, it will still be called Artemis 1.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/22 at 10:02 am

The launch of the US space agency's most powerful ever rocket is in jeopardy, after a leak was found in its hydrogen tank.

Nasa is making a second attempt to get the Artemis I Moon mission off Earth. It was thwarted by a mix of technical and weather woes on Monday.

Saturday's leak was picked up as the rocket began to be loaded with super-cold propellants.

Controllers have tried a number of fixes but so far without luck.

The vehicle burns 2.7 million litres of liquid hydrogen and oxygen to provide the thrust needed to get off Earth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62758482

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/22 at 10:29 am

The launch of the US space agency's most powerful ever rocket is in jeopardy, after a leak was found in its hydrogen tank.

Nasa is making a second attempt to get the Artemis I Moon mission off Earth. It was thwarted by a mix of technical and weather woes on Monday.

Saturday's leak was picked up as the rocket began to be loaded with super-cold propellants.

Controllers have tried a number of fixes but so far without luck.

The vehicle burns 2.7 million litres of liquid hydrogen and oxygen to provide the thrust needed to get off Earth.

The launch of the US space agency's most powerful ever rocket has been cancelled for the second time in a week.

Check for new replies or respond here...