inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hey Hey, He’s a Monkee… Micky Dolenz Sues the FBI

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/22 at 5:10 am

Legendary musician Micky Dolenz has filed legal action against the Federal Bureau of Investigation, demanding copies of the FBI dossier that the agency allegedly compiled on The Monkees during their heyday. Dolenz is the only remaining survivor of the musical group, as the other members have all passed away.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/monkees-frontman-micky-dolenz-files-lawsuit-against-fbi

One heavily redacted file refers to the group as “The Monkeys”.  ;D

Subject: Re: Hey Hey, He’s a Monkee… Micky Dolenz Sues the FBI

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 6:09 am

From "Mrs Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel

"We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files
We'd like to help you learn to help yourself".

Interesting for Davy Jones was still a British national?

Will the files on John Lennon be released?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/22 at 9:03 am

The files on John Lennon were released decades ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Some-Truth-Lennon-Files/dp/0520222466#:~:text=OK-,Gimme%20Some%20Truth%3A%20The%20John%20Lennon,Files%20Paperback%20%E2%80%93%20January%2021%2C%202000&text=Find%20all%20the%20books%2C%20read%20about%20the%20author%2C%20and%20more.&text=When%20FBI%20Director%20J.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 9:14 am

The files on John Lennon were released decades ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Some-Truth-Lennon-Files/dp/0520222466#:~:text=OK-,Gimme%20Some%20Truth%3A%20The%20John%20Lennon,Files%20Paperback%20%E2%80%93%20January%2021%2C%202000&text=Find%20all%20the%20books%2C%20read%20about%20the%20author%2C%20and%20more.&text=When%20FBI%20Director%20J.
Imagine that?

Did the files say he was a dreamer and he's not the only one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/22 at 9:23 am

Legendary musician Micky Dolenz has filed legal action against the Federal Bureau of Investigation, demanding copies of the FBI dossier that the agency allegedly compiled on The Monkees during their heyday. Dolenz is the only remaining survivor of the musical group, as the other members have all passed away.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/monkees-frontman-micky-dolenz-files-lawsuit-against-fbi

One heavily redacted file refers to the group as “The Monkeys”.  ;D
Did the six o'clock alarm that would never ring feature in any of the files?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/22 at 9:56 am

Did the six o'clock alarm that would never ring feature in any of the files?

No, because that song ("Daydream believer") was written by legendary songwriter, Godfather of Americana music and former Kington Trio member John Stewart. He wrote the song about the "bloom being off the rose", so to speak, in a love affair. Stewart's original line was "you once thought of me as a white knight on his steed/now you know how funky I can be". Although in later years, especially the 70s, the word "funky" would come to mean a certain style or sound of music and it's associated traits, back in the mid 60s it still meant something old, rancid, smelly. Makes perfect sense in the context of the song. The record company wouldn't let squeaky clean Davy Jones sing "funky" for some reason. They changed it to "now you know how happy I can be" which makes no sense at all. Stewart was initially a bit upset at this. A few months later the song was a worldwide smash, Stewart had a new Ferrari, and all was well with the world.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/22 at 6:14 pm

I wonder when the file on LyricBoy will be released. Given some of the sketchy people I have done business with over the years (among them, a former card-carrying Communist who has a picture of himself and Leonid Brezhnev yucking it up at a worker’s convention in Moscow, and another whose name came up every now and then re: Jimmy Hoffa going missing)  I’m fairly sure they got a file on me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 7:28 am

I wonder when the file on LyricBoy will be released. Given some of the sketchy people I have done business with over the years (among them, a former card-carrying Communist who has a picture of himself and Leonid Brezhnev yucking it up at a worker’s convention in Moscow, and another whose name came up every now and then re: Jimmy Hoffa going missing)  I’m fairly sure they got a file on me.
Jimmy Hoffa is one name that intrigues me, what precisely happened to him.

Add D. B. Cooper, the unidentified man who hijacked a plane back in 1971, to the list.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/01/22 at 9:18 am

Back in the mid '70s I wrote to the FBI to get my files.  They informed me that there were none (but there are now).  I wrote back telling them that they were  falling down on the job and had better get cracken.  I'm fairly sure the has one since they photographed me at a pro Allende demo in Chile in 1972

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 10:29 am

Back in the mid '70s I wrote to the FBI to get my files.  They informed me that there were none (but there are now).  I wrote back telling them that they were  falling down on the job and had better get cracken.  I'm fairly sure the has one since they photographed me at a pro Allende demo in Chile in 1972
Photographed in Kodachrome?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/05/22 at 5:40 pm

I don't know. Did you have anything to do with the Kennedy assassination?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/05/22 at 6:37 pm

I don't know. Did you have anything to do with the Kennedy assassination?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nah, I was too young to be in on that caper, and (as far as I know) none of my, uh, *colorful* business connections’ names come up on that deal.

I did have a customer on my newspaper route who was convicted for running heroin from Lebanon into the USA. His wife was my 6th grade home room teacher. :o Funny, for a few weeks whenever I would go to collect for the newspaper, I noticed a small private plane circling the area, did not really think much about it. But after he got nabbed, no more airplanes. I always wondered if the popo thought I was a bag man!  ;D

Other than that, my Dad did some business with Rudolf Hess’ brother, but that was several years after the war, so no harm, no foul. 

Check for new replies or respond here...