inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blinding Lights

Written By: Slim95 on 09/03/22 at 5:17 pm

This song was technically released in 2019, but there is no doubt this is a "2020s" song because it was on the radio all throughout 2020...

My question is do you think this song is gonna be remembered in the future and be considered "revolutionary" like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Sexy Back? I mean the Billboard had already declared it as a record of the most popular song of all time...

On another note, I think it's also telling that the song that's so popular is just a retro 80s throwback.. Do you guys think this is a sign that creativity and newnesss is dying now in music?

In my opinion, I love this song.. It feels great hearing this song on the radio when you're on the freeway. You're always tempted to start speeding on the freeway when you hear this song...

Subject: Re: Blinding Lights

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/03/22 at 6:11 pm

On another note, I think it's also telling that the song that's so popular is just a retro 80s throwback.. Do you guys think this is a sign that creativity and newnesss is dying now in music?

Is this just another way of asking if we are truly in the postmodern "end of history" era? I have talked about it here outright. And everybody else seems to be talking about it without defining what it is. A looplike caretaking/curating cycle of what has come before.  Are you saying you doubt you will ever now hear a song that is so new, so different, that has no connotation of a "throwback" or an "era" that you say "the world is different now. It has gone from black and white to color. I will never feel as I did before"? Believe it or not, music once actually had that power.  Is it possible you cannot even conceive of that being a thing? Where when you hear something you don't say "that reminds me of the first three months of 2017 and July of 2015 when there was an 80s revival that had a 90s sheen to it"? (Some people here actually talk that way).  I was so used to the foreword thrust motion of the mid 20th Century that it took me some time to see what people were talking about with this "throwback/revival" thing, but, believe it or not, that's ALL some people now know, it is their only experience. I'm glad you asked this question.

"In the post-historical period there will be neither art nor philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history. I can feel in myself, and see in others around me, a powerful nostalgia for the time when history existed."
-Francis Fukuyama

Check for new replies or respond here...