inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Will A New Unique Musical Style Be Popular?

Written By: Slim95 on 09/05/22 at 12:11 pm

Currently music is just borrowing from previous decades and hopping on the nostalgia bandwagon. This will get old pretty soon and people will want something new.

When do you think we will have a new revolutionary sound in music? Next year?

Subject: Re: When Will A New Unique Musical Style Be Popular?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/22 at 12:23 pm

Currently music is just borrowing from previous decades and hopping on the nostalgia bandwagon. This will get old pretty soon and people will want something new.

It will have to wait until the “Covid mania” has dissipated.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/22 at 2:30 pm

I wonder what this new sound will sound like?

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/05/22 at 6:33 pm

If you’re so unsatisfied, then go out and make the new sound. Stop throwing stones from glass houses.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/22 at 12:24 am

If you’re so unsatisfied, then go out and make the new sound. Stop throwing stones from glass houses.
BDbUEydkuR8

Written By: Sman12 on 09/06/22 at 5:43 pm

The current music scene is so fragmented nowadays (with the help of music streaming services) that pretty much every digestible musical mixture has already happened (or will happen).

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/22 at 5:46 pm

I just wish that Ke$ha would get back in the studio.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/06/22 at 5:53 pm

The current music scene is so fragmented nowadays (with the help of music streaming services) that pretty much every digestible musical mixture has already happened (or will happen).

Sounds like you COMPLETELY subscribe to the postmodern "end of history" theory.  I have talked about it here outright. And everybody else seems to be talking about it without defining what it is. A looplike caretaking/curating cycle of what has come before.  Are you saying you doubt you will ever now hear a song that is so new, so different, that has no connotation of a "throwback" or an "era" that you say "the world is different now. It has gone from black and white to color. I will never feel as I did before"? Believe it or not, music once actually had that power.  You state that you cannot even conceive of that being a thing because "pretty much everything has already happened". Bingo! "End of history".

"In the post-historical period there will be neither art nor philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history. I can feel in myself, and see in others around me, a powerful nostalgia for the time when history existed."
-Francis Fukuyama

Written By: J. Rob on 09/06/22 at 10:44 pm

R&B may be the most "futuristic" sounding right now, but it's not Pop friendly

Written By: JacobThePlante on 12/14/22 at 1:51 am

it's here, right now!

Anti-Hero
Bad Habit
As It Was
You Proof
I Like You
Wait For U
Just Wanna Rock
Golden Hour
Star Walkin
Romantic Homicide

^these currently charting songs sound advanced compared to the stuff coming out just a few years ago. Music's always evolving & it doesn't show signs of stopping, even with all the decentralization of media

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/14/22 at 7:13 am

I wonder what this new sound will sound like?

I think it will sound like this:

6wgG33eO-5A

But even that sounds better than most of the music of 2022.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/14/22 at 7:28 am

it's here, right now!

Anti-Hero
Bad Habit
As It Was
You Proof
I Like You
Wait For U
Just Wanna Rock
Golden Hour
Star Walkin
Romantic Homicide

^these currently charting songs sound advanced compared to the stuff coming out just a few years ago. Music's always evolving & it doesn't show signs of stopping, even with all the decentralization of media

I always thought of "As It Was" to be the "SexyBack" of 2022 as it had a unique and futuristic sound, but also because it was the defacto song of the summer and by a solo artist who's a former lead of a boy band.

I disagree about Anti-Hero as that doesn't sound too much different from her older songs, like Blankspace, but the other songs on the list sure, especially Bad Habit and Romantic Homicide. You could also include Stay by Kid LAROI to that category, at least that sounds different and unique compared to the late 2010's and even 2020.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 12/16/22 at 6:58 am

I always thought of "As It Was" to be the "SexyBack" of 2022 as it had a unique and futuristic sound, but also because it was the defacto song of the summer and by a solo artist who's a former lead of a boy band.

I disagree about Anti-Hero as that doesn't sound too much different from her older songs, like Blankspace, but the other songs on the list sure, especially Bad Habit and Romantic Homicide. You could also include Stay by Kid LAROI to that category, at least that sounds different and unique compared to the late 2010's and even 2020.

Anti-Hero has that VHS sound that's big rn. Very hard hitting bass & drenched in reverb. Definitely fits the current dreamy vibe going on

Check for new replies or respond here...