inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A documentary about the dark side of "Barney" coming to TV

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/29/22 at 10:23 am

A new documentary about "Barney" and the beginnings of hate culture.

New doc trailer reveals death threats, drug rumors around ‘Barney & Friends’

https://nypost.com/2022/09/28/new-doc-trailer-reveals-death-threats-around-barney-friends/

It wasn’t always “one big happy family.”

Peacock released the trailer Wednesday for a two-part documentary about the darkness surrounding the legendary kid’s show “Barney & Friends.”

Friendly faces like Bill Nye and Al Roker are interviewed for “I Love You, You Hate Me,” but so are former actors David Joyner and Bob West — who both donned the purple dinosaur suit during the show’s run from 1992 to 2010.

They both provide not-so-jovial recollections about their time as Barney — West even alleging that his entire family received death threats.

“They were violent and explicit, death and dismemberment of my family,” he recalls on top of video of Barney stuffed animals being lit on fire. “They were gonna come and find me, and they were going to kill me.”

Another interview subject talked about some of the “rumors” he heard about the costumed character, including that he hid “dugs in his tail.”

he trailer ends with a woman saying, “I don’t think you could ever think somebody would go and shoot someone.”

This could relate to “Barney” founder Sheryl Leach’s son, Patrick Kearns Leach, who was charged with one count each of assault with a firearm and shooting for allegedly shooting his neighbor multiple times after an argument in 2013. He pleaded no contest and was sentenced to 15 years in prison, according to Patch.

The doc “unpacks how a children’s character who stood for inclusion, understanding, and kindness birthed a movement of anger and criticism that threatened the show, its creators, and their futures,” according to Joel Chiodi, the head of documentaries and SVP of strategic development at Scout Productions.

“As it spotlights the beginnings of modern-day hate culture, this documentary traces the creation of the character and how it took a toll on the people closest to it, examining the surprising and lingering impact the ‘Big Purple Dinosaur’ left on American society,” he added.

“Barney came out on television when I was just 10 years old, and I admittedly didn’t understand him,” director Tommy Avallone said in a release. “As a teenager, for one of my birthdays I asked my aunt to make me a Barney costume, so my friends and I could beat him up on camera.

“Several years later, creating this docu-series, it feels good to be on the other side and no longer a Barney hater. Now having children of my own, I understand all the love that went into making the purple dinosaur,” Avallone added.

“I Love You, You Hate Me” premieres on, Oct. 12 on Peacock.

Subject: Re: A documentary about the dark side of "Barney" coming to TV

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/22 at 3:28 pm

I have a friend who had 2 young boys at the time when Barney was popular. I used to go shopping with her and we would go through the toy department. We would be strolling along and if I would see a Barney doll or something and I would say, "eww" and wince and shutter as if seeing a nasty bug or critter. She would just laugh. (I also had the same reaction when I saw Barbara Bush, too. lol)

BTW, those two boys are now college graduates. Boy do I feel old.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/22 at 3:35 pm

We once had a birthday for our son arranged to be at McDonald's with his many schoolfriends, and when Ronald McDonald appeared, several of the children ran off and hid.

Coulrophobia or something else?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/22 at 4:35 pm

We once had a birthday for our son arranged to be at McDonald's with his many schoolfriends, and when Ronald McDonald appeared, several of the children ran off and hid.

Coulrophobia or something else?

Ok, tangent time. (Sorry but I can't resist telling this story-again.  :D ;D ;D )

When I was student teaching, Ronald McDonald came to the school. He did a "show" for the kids. I was "volunteered" to participate. I did a Vanna White type thing where I was revealing letters or words. I was hamming it up and was having a great time. He made a comment about how I was enjoying myself and then he said, "We should go out for coffee sometime." I was like, WAIT! WHAT??!!! Did Ronald McDonald just ask me out? I have been asked out by some clowns in my day but that one took the cake.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 09/29/22 at 6:06 pm

Oh I was into that show as a kid lol but looking back he was creepy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/29/22 at 8:09 pm

Ugh. I despise that stupid purple bastard with every fiber of my being, and for good reason: My nickname all through grade school and high school was Barney. And it was a perfectly fine nickname because at the time it was most associated with Barney Rubble from The Flintstones, and Barney Rubble was cool enough.

Well, I got discharged from the Army in 1992, and I went home right about the same time that the anti-Barney (the dinosaur) sentiment was hitting its peak so I was like, "Al. Call me Al." That stupid purple bastard ruined my nickname.

Oddly enough, a few years back some guys at my work just out of the blue started calling me Barney again, and it stuck.

But I'm OK with it now.  8)

Ok, tangent time. (Sorry but I can't resist telling this story-again.  :D ;D ;D )

When I was student teaching, Ronald McDonald came to the school. He did a "show" for the kids. I was "volunteered" to participate. I did a Vanna White type thing where I was revealing letters or words. I was hamming it up and was having a great time. He made a comment about how I was enjoying myself and then he said, "We should go out for coffee sometime." I was like, WAIT! WHAT??!!! Did Ronald McDonald just ask me out? I have been asked out by some clowns in my day but that one took the cake.

Cat

You should have told him, "No thank you, I don't like having my coffee served at 209 degrees..."  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/22 at 9:06 pm

Barney always struck me as a little weird. If I had ever seen him coming down the sidewalk, I would have crossed over to the other side of the street.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/29/22 at 9:31 pm

Barney always struck me as a little weird. If I had ever seen him coming down the sidewalk, I would have crossed over to the other side of the street.

There was a period there when children's programming veered towards the bizarre. "Barney" being one, the notorious "Teletubbies" being another. In the case of "Teletubbies" I think it was an early attempt at programming for very small, non-verbal babies, and I'm not sure it succeeded. It just came off as weird. There has since been an entire TV/video/Youtube industry aimed at this "demographic" (if that's what you can call one year olds). I don't see the need for it. Any parent who plops their one year old in front of a screen all day to watch these electronic babysitters should have their parenting license revoked.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/22 at 3:28 am

Oh I was into that show as a kid lol but looking back he was creepy.

I always thought he was a bit weird.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/22 at 3:31 am

There was a period there when children's programming veered towards the bizarre. "Barney" being one, the notorious "Teletubbies" being another. In the case of "Teletubbies" I think it was an early attempt at programming for very small, non-verbal babies, and I'm not sure it succeeded. It just came off as weird. There has since been an entire TV/video/Youtube industry aimed at this "demographic" (if that's what you can call one year olds). I don't see the need for it. Any parent who plops their one year old in front of a screen all day to watch these electronic babysitters should have their parenting license revoked.

https://www.thelist.com/img/gallery/whatever-happened-to-the-girl-from-the-big-comfy-couch/intro-1658766272.jpg
How about The Big Comfy Couch? ???

Written By: Elor on 09/30/22 at 3:36 am

Cat

Am I the only one who finds it weird that a fast food restaurant mascot is officially doing his thing in a public school? I mean let's face it he's a walking advertisement for junk food. Not exactly what kids in school need. ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/30/22 at 9:18 am

Am I the only one who finds it weird that a fast food restaurant mascot is officially doing his thing in a public school? I mean let's face it he's a walking advertisement for junk food. Not exactly what kids in school need. ???

This is not strange at all. It's a version of an "embedded commercial". I wouldn't be surprised if McDonald's "donated" some money to the school in exchange for Ronald to come and speak to the children. These sneaky "embedded commercials" take place all the time on TV news, talk shows, etc. You'll be watching the local news and the newscaster will report, as a news story, something like "Dunkin Donuts released their new pumpkin spice coffee for Autumn today..." with video clips of people waiting in line to buy it, like this was a big, important thing. This is reported as STRAIGHT NEWS. In no way does it indicate that it is actually a commercial and Dunkin Donuts paid money for it. Happens all the time! One time I was watching the "Tonight" show back when Jay Leno was still host. the guest was Drew Barrymore. Seemingly casually or naturally, they somehow got onto the subject of their preferences in toasted cheese sandwiches. Leno said he liked them, but the cheese inside had to remain cold (which I thought was interesting). Barrymore said she liked hers "uber hot" (a dumb, "Valley Girl" sounding comment), but that the cheese had to be Kraft. Bingo! Don't think any single bit of that conversation happened by itself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/22 at 2:40 pm

You should have told him, "No thank you, I don't like having my coffee served at 209 degrees..."  ;D

Actually, my first instinct was to tell him that I don't drink coffee-like I do with everyone who suggests about going to get coffee. But, then I realized that there was a school full of kids (k-8) watching me and I thought better of it-but then it hit me who asked me.

I have learned if I do get tea from there, I have them put some ice in it-or I will do it myself if they have the dispenser on my side of the counter.

No, you are not. When I first heard that he was coming, yeah, my eyes rolled. Only being a student teacher, I didn't have any say what so ever. For one thing, I don't do McDonald's-except maybe for breakfast if we are in a hurry. I think McDonald's donated something to the school (can't remember what). It was a small school and any donation was appreciated. I remember my 5th grade class had one ream of construction paper for the year (10 5th grade students and sometimes we had 20 6th graders join us for certain subjects). Of course my cooperating teacher bought a lot of supplies. I do know that our next teacher's meeting when school wasn't in session was at McDonald's. If memory serves, I think we all had our coffee (and in my case tea) bought for us. But Ronald wasn't there. lol.

In the U.S. the teaching profession is pretty much the only profession where you have to purchase your own supplies.  >:( >:(  Teachers are entrusted with our children but yet they are not respected and underpaid. But yet, they are excepted to do more and more with less and less. Not only are they expected to teach, they are expected to be a parent to students, to be a doctor (either medical or psychological), to babysit, to discipline, and now they want to arm teachers instead of making sure people who shouldn't have guns do. It is wonder so many people are leaving the profession.

It just makes me so angry how teachers are being treated. It is a HARD job. I couldn't do it which is why I stopped teaching just a few years after I got my certification. I didn't have the stamina for it. You are basically "ON" for 7 or 8 hours with maybe a 45 minute break that you are preparing for other classes-5 days a week. And then there is grading homework or making lesson plans on your off hours. It is HARD! Anyone who says that teaching is easy have never taught a day in their lives.

Sorry. Rant over.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/30/22 at 3:35 pm

Actually, my first instinct was to tell him that I don't drink coffee-like I do with everyone who suggests about going to get coffee. But, then I realized that there was a school full of kids (k-8) watching me and I thought better of it-but then it hit me who asked me.

I have learned if I do get tea from there, I have them put some ice in it-or I will do it myself if they have the dispenser on my side of the counter.

No, you are not. When I first heard that he was coming, yeah, my eyes rolled. Only being a student teacher, I didn't have any say what so ever. For one thing, I don't do McDonald's-except maybe for breakfast if we are in a hurry. I think McDonald's donated something to the school (can't remember what). It was a small school and any donation was appreciated. I remember my 5th grade class had one ream of construction paper for the year (10 5th grade students and sometimes we had 20 6th graders join us for certain subjects). Of course my cooperating teacher bought a lot of supplies. I do know that our next teacher's meeting when school wasn't in session was at McDonald's. If memory serves, I think we all had our coffee (and in my case tea) bought for us. But Ronald wasn't there. lol.

In the U.S. the teaching profession is pretty much the only profession where you have to purchase your own supplies.  >:( >:(  Teachers are entrusted with our children but yet they are not respected and underpaid. But yet, they are excepted to do more and more with less and less. Not only are they expected to teach, they are expected to be a parent to students, to be a doctor (either medical or psychological), to babysit, to discipline, and now they want to arm teachers instead of making sure people who shouldn't have guns do. It is wonder so many people are leaving the profession.

It just makes me so angry how teachers are being treated. It is a HARD job. I couldn't do it which is why I stopped teaching just a few years after I got my certification. I didn't have the stamina for it. You are basically "ON" for 7 or 8 hours with maybe a 45 minute break that you are preparing for other classes-5 days a week. And then there is grading homework or making lesson plans on your off hours. It is HARD! Anyone who says that teaching is easy have never taught a day in their lives.

Sorry. Rant over.

Cat

There might be some advantages of dating Ronald McDonald.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/22 at 5:48 pm

In the U.S. the teaching profession is pretty much the only profession where you have to purchase your own supplies.  >:( >:(

Not so fast. Auto and commercial truck mechanics at dealer shops and independent repair shops are usually expected to provide their own tools. Which can run into the thousands of dollars.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/22 at 5:53 pm

Not so fast. Auto and commercial truck mechanics at dealer shops and independent repair shops are usually expected to provide their own tools. Which can run into the thousands of dollars.

They are usually the business owners or contractors. You said it yourself-INDEPENDENT! Teachers are public workers paid by taxpayers.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/22 at 6:01 pm

They are usually the business owners or contractors. You said it yourself-INDEPENDENT! Teachers are public workers paid by taxpayers.

Cat

No, these are mechanics who are employees of said shops, not the owners. My company (up until recently) employed 25 mechanics, all who had to provide their own tools.

My reference to “independent shops” meant shops that are not affiliated with a given vehicle manufacturer brand, not the mechanics.

Written By: Elor on 10/01/22 at 6:12 am

No, these are mechanics who are employees of said shops, not the owners. My company (up until recently) employed 25 mechanics, all who had to provide their own tools.

My reference to “independent shops” meant shops that are not affiliated with a given vehicle manufacturer brand, not the mechanics.
That sounds just absurd to me. That would never fly over here. :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/22 at 6:18 am

That sounds just absurd to me. That would never fly over here. :o

It’s pretty much the standard for vehicle repair mechanics in the US of A. 🇺🇸

Written By: Howard on 10/01/22 at 2:20 pm

I never knew Barney had a "dark side" all this time I always thought of him was a loving dinosaur.

Written By: nally on 10/01/22 at 3:20 pm

I never knew Barney had a "dark side" all this time I always thought of him was a loving dinosaur.

A lot of people have found him as annoying.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/22 at 3:40 am

A lot of people have found him as annoying.

I found him a bit too friendly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/19/22 at 10:12 pm

Dr. Todd Grande analyzes the Barney situation. There's much more to the picture than meets the eye.

Did Barney Terrorize Viewers for Years?
Dr. Todd Grande

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Xe1W0n1ts

Check for new replies or respond here...