inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do the 2020s Suck?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/22 at 11:33 am

Some people seem to think so, although I don’t.

What say you? ???

Subject: Re: Do the 2020s Suck?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/15/22 at 12:32 pm

Based the on the first 3 years, it's not exactly the greatest decade of my life, especially when you look back to the 80's, 90's, or 2000's for comparison since it started with the pandemic which is still lingering on even though it's less deadly, plus inflation, inevitable recession, and the war in Ukraine. It has some positives as well like more upbeat music and a dynamic range of streaming series.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/22 at 3:09 am

What say you? ???

If I had to give the first 3 years of the 2020's a letter grade I'd probably give it a C.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/16/22 at 9:05 am

I thought we were done with all the repetitive "2020s suck" threads when certain people were banished to the cornfield, but I guess not. Oh well, it was a nice break while it lasted.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/22 at 10:10 am

No worse than other years, and there have been many that were much much worse

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/16/22 at 9:28 pm

I thought we were done with all the repetitive "2020s suck" threads when certain people were banished to the cornfield, but I guess not. Oh well, it was a nice break while it lasted.

Only you thought we were done with them. I don't remember seeing any official rule on here banning such threads. I think people should be allowed to vent and express themselves if they are going through rough times. The "nice break" you enjoyed was this forum being completely dead and nothing interesting being discussed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/17/22 at 3:12 am

Well this thread is different. It does not claim that the 2020s suck. It states that some people (not the O.P.) think the 2020s suck, and canvasses the community for its view of things.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/17/22 at 5:46 am

OK, I had to do some digging and saw here where Cat mentioned we don't need another of those threads.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=64287.15

Well this thread is different. It does not claim that the 2020s suck. It states that some people (not the O.P.) think the 2020s suck, and canvasses the community for its view of things.

Lol, I probably would have worded it differently in the title, like "Don't the 2020's NOT suck?"

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 6:48 am

It certainly has been a very depressing 3 years in the news with the stuff that's been going on.

Written By: J. Rob on 10/22/22 at 9:46 pm

You really have to be living in a bubble to think this decade has been anything but terrible so far. 2022 has been a decent year for me, but that doesn't change the world around me

Written By: JacobThePlante on 10/23/22 at 1:40 am

It's been trash. The only positive is the culture's been quite interesting, well before 2022 started. Pop culture seems to have fizzled out this year

Written By: Howard on 10/23/22 at 3:19 am

It's been trash. The only positive is the culture's been quite interesting, well before 2022 started. Pop culture seems to have fizzled out this year

Yes, A lot of interesting things have been happening within the past 2 years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/23/22 at 10:12 am

2020 had a lot of good music, and upbeat culture overall despite the circumstances. 2021 also had a lot of good music in the beginning, but started to go downhill in the 2nd half. That year did have a lot of good movies though. Both years had a lot of good TV/streaming series. In 2022 it seems like I can count with one hand how many I liked of each (well with songs/albums both hands, but still nothing compared to the first two years).

2023 at least looks promising with the line up of movies scheduled to be released.

Written By: Wink-182 on 10/23/22 at 2:28 pm

I mean, going by personal events. Yes, I could argue these last few years could be the most suckiest years of my life (death of a family member that I was close with and workplace issues that I had gone through). World events, with COVID-19 and it's aftermath on the world being the biggest, January 6th, The Ukraine-Russia Conflict, and the death of some well beloved celebrities (although some of these kinda just came with time, like Betty White and The Queen). Yeah, it can seem like the decade hasn't really started off too a good start. But we do have about eight more years roughly left into the decade, so it has plenty of time to redeem itself.  Maybe 2023 might be better than these last two years.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/22 at 2:35 pm

I mean, going by personal events. Yes, I could argue these last few years could be the most suckiest years of my life (death of a family member that I was close with and workplace issues that I had gone through). World events, with COVID-19 and it's aftermath on the world being the biggest, January 6th, The Ukraine-Russia Conflict, and the death of some well beloved celebrities (although some of these kinda just came with time, like Betty White and The Queen). Yeah, it can seem like the decade hasn't really started off too a good start. But we do have about eight more years roughly left into the decade, so it has plenty of time to redeem itself.  Maybe 2023 might be better than these last two years.

I certainly hope so.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/22 at 8:44 am

My wife is Ukrainian so that is the main reason why this year has been tough for us.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/24/22 at 9:30 am

My wife is Ukrainian so that is the main reason why this year has been tough for us.

That would certainly put a damper on everything else.  I hope your relatives survive the storm unscathed

Written By: Wink-182 on 10/24/22 at 10:45 am

Yeah I totally get that, my solidarity is with you guys.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/22 at 10:57 am

That would certainly put a damper on everything else.  I hope your relatives survive the storm unscathed

Yeah I totally get that, my solidarity is with you guys.

Thank you! Yeah, it's hard to enjoy anything with that always in the back of our minds. Every day we wake up wondering what happened, especially these last few weeks as the attacks on the Kyiv region have been increasing, and the worst since late February.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 12:53 pm

My great-grandmother was born in Kyiv and my great-grandfather was born in a town outside of Kyiv (can't remember the name). I'm sure I probably still have distant relatives there. Who knows, your wife could be my distant cousin.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/22 at 1:08 pm

My great-grandmother was born in Kyiv and my great-grandfather was born in a town outside of Kyiv (can't remember the name). I'm sure I probably still have distant relatives there. Who knows, your wife could be my distant cousin.

Cat
Here is hoping that the family history records have not been destroy in the warfare.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/22 at 2:23 pm

How long you two been married?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/22 at 3:06 pm

Cat

Wow, I didn't know that. Wouldn't that be something?

How long you two been married?

Seven years in August

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 3:48 pm

Wow, I didn't know that. Wouldn't that be something?

Is your wife Jewish (or have Jewish ancestors)?

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/22 at 3:52 pm

Is your wife Jewish (or have Jewish ancestors)?

Cat

She's not, she was raised Christian Orthodox. Not sure about her ancestors but I doubt it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 4:03 pm

She's not, she was raised Christian Orthodox. Not sure about her ancestors but I doubt it.

Well, maybe she isn't a distant cousin but she could be a distant, distant, DISTANT cousin. Because after all, aren't we ALL related somehow?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/22 at 4:07 pm

Well, maybe she isn't a distant cousin but she could be a distant, distant, DISTANT cousin. Because after all, aren't we ALL related somehow?

Cat
In 2013, geneticists Peter Ralph and Graham Coop showed that all Europeans are descended from exactly the same people. Basically, everyone alive in the ninth century who left descendants is the ancestor of every living European today, including Charlemagne, Drogo, Pippin and Hugh.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford#:~:text=In%202013%2C%20geneticists%20Peter%20Ralph,%2C%20Drogo%2C%20Pippin%20and%20Hugh.

Sorry the URL is long...

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/26/22 at 8:00 am

Cat

My ancestry is in Poland on my father's side, and my wife also has ancestry in Poland. That would just be weird to find out if me and my wife are related somehow, even if we are distant 100th cousins.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/22 at 2:56 pm

My ancestry is in Poland on my father's side, and my wife also has ancestry in Poland. That would just be weird to find out if me and my wife are related somehow, even if we are distant 100th cousins.

I have another set of great-grandparents from Poland-Sztabin which was part of Russia at the time. But, they are also on the Jewish side of the family.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/22 at 7:26 pm

With the passing of Christine McVie, there’s one more reason for people to think that the 2020s suck.

Written By: Girli on 01/08/23 at 11:18 pm

What say you? ???

In some way yes? but otherwise No there just fine I mean it could be worse, ok yes (the west) at least has became more politically polarized but you can blame big media (not just social media) for this and they been doing this for a long time even before the internet was a thing and people falling for sensailised (bad speller :D :D) , clickbait BS so the media could control the minds of the people, many people for a long time have had that "hive mind" sheeple mindset where they do everything the media tells them to do and  I see it more now this decade than ever and the reason was is because of the pandemic where everyone stayed home for a year (and some) with no external human contact and all they did was stayed home and watch mainstream internet media or if your "old school" watched Television (which is a another can of warms) and in that time the media kind of "trapped" people into having a Certain mindset for having a strong "political opinion" on everything (even silly things) like decades for example, you did see this in the late 2010s  but I think the biggest difference between 2017 and 2020s is that I felt more of a "wholesome" feel in 2016-2017, I think they way COVID was covered (trying to induce extreme fear for clicks instead of coming up with solutions) in the media it kind of added the icing on the cake and "broke" some people it added another strong political layer to they already existing one from the latter part of the 10s and overhauled many people thoughts and opinions  to the point where things seem more "hostile" today. but thats just my obersavtion which makes it "seem" like this decade "sucks",  but this decade is not bad,  I personally like it (00s are meh IMO)

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/09/23 at 8:30 am

The 2010's are considered "cheugy" and there is somewhat of a backlash against it, particularly Facebook and some of the other social media apps that were popular then. It's in that time range when it was too recent to have any nostalgia for it. The 2000's otoh, are in and that's the decade that is in and most of the nostalgia is for now.

The 2020's has some things going for it, like the dynamic pop-culture with upbeat sounding music and mini-series for streaming. I also like the anesthetics of this decade more than the 2010's which were more bland and generic.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/09/23 at 9:07 am

The 2010's are considered "cheugy" and there is somewhat of a backlash against it, particularly Facebook and some of the other social media apps that were popular then. It's in that time range when it was too recent to have any nostalgia for it. The 2000's otoh, are in and that's the decade that is in and most of the nostalgia is for now.

The 2020's has some things going for it, like the dynamic pop-culture with upbeat sounding music and mini-series for streaming. I also like the anesthetics of this decade more than the 2010's which were more bland and generic.

Cheugy (/ˈtʃuːɡi/ CHOOG-ee) is an American neologism coined in 2013 (allegedly by zoomers) as a pejorative description of lifestyle trends associated with the early 2010s and millennials. This aesthetic has been described as "the opposite of trendy"or "trying too hard". The term has been used positively by some who identify with the aesthetic.

People who are cheugy are referred to as cheugs.Things described as cheugy include "mom jeans", "live, laugh, love signs", "Minion memes",and "anything that says 'girl boss' on it". While it has been compared to being basic, some sources have suggested that it is "not quite 'basic'".The Evening Standard said that "the cheug's logical archnemesis is probably the hipster".
-Wikipedia

Written By: JacobThePlante on 01/23/23 at 7:48 pm

That's true, minimalism was a big thing from 2013 - 2018, so a lot of the core 2010s was generic. 2020s so far is practically the opposite, maximalism is in now

Check for new replies or respond here...