inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Twitter Shut Down?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/18/22 at 12:29 pm

Seems things are in disarray over there since Musk took over.

What say you?  ???

Subject: Re: Will Twitter Shut Down?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/22 at 12:48 pm

After hearing reports of many celebrities leaving the media, I was wondering the same, it's all going downhill now, and cheerio to this social media company. I have never used it, so I will not miss it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/18/22 at 1:14 pm

Seems things are in disarray over there since Musk took over.

What say you?  ???

No, it will not shut down though it may eventually morph into something else. Musk taking over is the best thing that could have happened to that cesspool and it's lazy employees. (I know I'm generalizing about the employees, but some that have shown themselves have been no prize. Not to mention the ones that do not want to return to work in the office instead of "quiet quitting" at home. Shape up or ship out!).

After hearing reports of many celebrities leaving the media, I was wondering the same, it's all going downhill now, and cheerio to this social media company. I have never used it, so I will not miss it.

Celebrities do not a social media company make.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/22 at 1:40 pm

Celebrities do not a social media company make.

No. But sponsors do and they are dropping like flies.

Cat

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/18/22 at 7:12 pm

No, it will not shut down though it may eventually morph into something else. Musk taking over is the best thing that could have happened to that cesspool and it's lazy employees. (I know I'm generalizing about the employees, but some that have shown themselves have been no prize. Not to mention the ones that do not want to return to work in the office instead of "quiet quitting" at home. Shape up or ship out!).

I'd hardly call this as "the best thing that could have happened to Twitter":

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/media/twitter-exodus-reliable-sources/index.html

Anyhow I rarely log in to my Twitter account so I don't really care what happens to it. Also I work in IT and there is no reason to work in the office when I can do the same exact job at home. In fact, I'm actually more productive and get more done as I put in more hours on the days I WFH, since I sign on to the VPN earlier and sign out later, since I don't have to waste time getting in my car and driving in traffic. Also on days when I go in to the office, once I walk out of those doors I'm mentally done for the day (I don't check emails or think to look at anything relating to work).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/18/22 at 7:36 pm

I'd hardly call this as "the best thing that could have happened to Twitter":

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/media/twitter-exodus-reliable-sources/index.html

Anyhow I rarely log in to my Twitter account so I don't really care what happens to it. Also I work in IT and there is no reason to work in the office when I can do the same exact job at home. In fact, I'm actually more productive and get more done as I put in more hours on the days I WFH, since I sign on to the VPN earlier and sign out later, since I don't have to waste time getting in my car and driving in traffic. Also on days when I go in to the office, once I walk out of those doors I'm mentally done for the day (I don't check emails or think to look at anything relating to work).

So you're saying that when you DO work from home there is no time you mentally check out from the job, since there are no doors to walk out of? Or maybe check out a LOT later than if you were pyhsyically there? Hardly sounds like a healthy work/life balance to me, regardless of one's physical location. Employers must love you. I think there should be a healthy seperation of work life and home life. This has nothing to do with slacking off or "quiet quitting", it's just that work is for work and home is for home, regardless of where you are working from.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/19/22 at 6:52 am

So you're saying that when you DO work from home there is no time you mentally check out from the job, since there are no doors to walk out of? Or maybe check out a LOT later than if you were pyhsyically there? Hardly sounds like a healthy work/life balance to me, regardless of one's physical location. Employers must love you. I think there should be a healthy seperation of work life and home life. This has nothing to do with slacking off or "quiet quitting", it's just that work is for work and home is for home, regardless of where you are working from.

The thing is we're always expected to be available 24/7, though we usually don't get calls in the middle of the night. On days I'm working from home, I tend to leave the laptop on and connected to VPN. I'm not necessarily sitting in front of it all day, I do other things like watching movies/TV, playing video games, exercising, etc. as long as I respond within a reasonable time period when needed. It's not like my last job where we were strictly hourly, and had designated times to clock in and out and we actually were not allowed to work off the clock.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/22 at 8:24 am

Perhaps Twitter should add a “message board feature” that has been so successful for ventures such as InThe00s, Reddit and Popedia.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:10 pm

I think it should shut down and never return, I mean what the heck is it good for anyways? People are always starting arguments on them. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/22 at 2:26 pm

I think it should shut down and never return, I mean what the heck is it good for anyways? People are always starting arguments on them. ::)

Yeah but that applies to Facebook, Instagram, and even InThe00s and ***edia. 😳

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 2:37 pm

Arguments can start  anyway in many different forms. Shut the bars in the town?

Written By: Howard on 11/20/22 at 2:40 am

No that wouldn't be a good idea.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/20/22 at 5:50 am

Everyone's favorite Twitter account has been reinstated, Donald Trump's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/22 at 7:08 am

Let him join up, and then shut the whole system down?

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/20/22 at 7:38 am

Lordy, I hope so!

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/20/22 at 7:59 am

Yeah but that applies to Facebook, Instagram, and even InThe00s and ***edia. 😳

The problem with some of those sites (especially Zuck's and also City-Data) is the way they are moderated. It's like bullies/trolls can away with it and whenever someone speaks up in defense then they get censored and/or banned. I sometimes feel like I'm back in 5th grade when I was the nerd and bully victim, but I was the only one to get in trouble while nothing happened to the bullies.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/22 at 8:07 am

Musk continues to clean house…

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/elon-musk-may-fire-more-after-twitter-employees-next-week-days-after-1200-resign-report-3537649

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/20/22 at 11:12 am

What you are describing is the reality for the large majority of working people, the alienation of work from the life process.  It wasn't always this way.  Think about all the surnames that refer to a craft - smith, baker, miller,  carpenter, farmer etc.  Before the industrial era, work was integrated into the fabric of life and a source of one's identity.  I have worked in a factory setting  where I was just a minor cog, one of the moving parts of a vast machine, doing one simple, repetitive, minor task which was totally removed from my life.  Vastly different from my work as a college professor, which was integrated into my life and was always with me, always in my head, not some alien "thing" separate and apart from "ME". What VOT 70s is describing about working from home sounds much the same, and in my book is much closer to what work should be

Written By: Howard on 11/20/22 at 3:18 pm

So now Trump owns Twitter?  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/22 at 6:01 am

So now Trump owns Twitter?  ::)
No he does not own Twitter, his account for Twitter has been reinstated.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/22 at 11:53 am

<Trump's Twitter account is restored>
Elon Musk:  I am giving Trump back his Twitter account
<Musk then shuts down twitter>
Elon Musk:  Psych!

Will Twitter Shut Down?

Yeah

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/22/22 at 12:12 pm

Yeah

UNLESS Elon Musk bought Twitter specifically for it to fail (which IS a somewhat common business practice), it will NOT shut down just because delicate people are upset at the turn it has taken. It certainly may morph into something different than it now is, however.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/22 at 3:28 pm

Yeah

Then what happens to the other social media platforms? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/22 at 3:30 pm

According to the Washington Post, 1/3 of advertisers have left and Musk can't afford to lose anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/22/twitter-advertiser-exodus-musk/

Cat

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/23/22 at 5:45 pm

Mashallah

Check for new replies or respond here...