inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dirty Dancing Remake - Original Cast Members Returning

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/22 at 6:00 am

Jennifer Gray :-*, famous for her role as Baby in the 1980s flick Dirty Dancing, says that the DD sequel/remake is on schedule to be released in early 2024.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jennifer-grey-reveals-dirty-dancing-sequel-will-feature-other-characters-from-original-movie

She also says that many of the original cast members will reprise their roles.  8)

Jennifer was offered a role in the ABC-TV remake back in 2017, but she turned that down.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Dirty Dancing Remake - Original Cast Members Returning

Written By: Howard on 11/27/22 at 3:07 pm

Jennifer Gray :-*, famous for her role as Baby in the 1980s flick Dirty Dancing, says that the DD sequel/remake is on schedule to be released in early 2024.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jennifer-grey-reveals-dirty-dancing-sequel-will-feature-other-characters-from-original-movie

She also says that many of the original cast members will reprise their roles.  8)

Jennifer was offered a role in the ABC-TV remake back in 2017, but she turned that down.  :-\\

Do they not realize that Patrick Swayze's been dead for 13 years now? ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/22 at 4:37 pm

Do they not realize that Patrick Swayze's been dead for 13 years now? ::)

Well he’ll certainly not have much of a role. Probably just some flashback footage. Unless they go with CGI.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/22 at 3:11 am

Well he’ll certainly not have much of a role. Probably just some flashback footage. Unless they go with CGI.

Yeah they can certainly go with that or someone that looks like him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 5:36 am

If the film is a remake, it cannot be sequel, or vice versa.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/28/22 at 9:35 am

I don't, they can do some amazing stuff with make-up these days

Written By: Howard on 11/28/22 at 2:56 pm

If the film is a remake, it cannot be sequel, or vice versa.

Didn't they come out with a remake before, Am I imagining things? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 3:01 pm

Didn't they come out with a remake before, Am I imagining things? ???
From wiki:

"Sequel
In 2020, a sequel to the film was announced. Jennifer Grey will reprise the role as Baby Houseman. As part of their presentation during CinemaCon 2022, producer and, through their ownership of the Vestron library, current owner of the film Lionsgate announced the film had the tentative title of DD and reaffirmed that Grey would still reprise her role as Baby. On May 9, 2022, it was announced that the film was eyeing a 2024 release date, with Jonathan Levine announced to direct.

Prequel
In 2004, a prequel of the film was released, entitled Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. It tells the story of a sheltered American teenager learning about life through dance, when her family relocates to Havana, Cuba just before the 1959 Cuban Revolution. Swayze was paid $5 million to appear in a cameo role as a dance teacher.

Remake
In August 2011, Lionsgate, which owns the film rights, announced their plan to remake the film. It was confirmed that the studio had hired the film's choreographer, Kenny Ortega, to direct. "We believe that the timing couldn't be better to modernize this story on the big screen, and we are proud to have Kenny Ortega at the helm", Joe Drake, president of Lionsgate's Motion Picture Group, explained about the project. A miniseries version of Dirty Dancing had been scheduled to be shot in Western North Carolina. As of July 29, 2015, the miniseries has been put on hold.

In December 2015, ABC ordered a three-hour musical remake of Dirty Dancing, starring Abigail Breslin, Colt Prattes, Debra Messing, Sarah Hyland, Nicole Scherzinger, Billy Dee Williams & Shane Harper. It aired on May 24, 2017. It received negative reviews from a majority of critics.

Stage version
The film was adapted for the stage in 2004 as a musical, Dirty Dancing: The Classic Story on Stage. Produced by Jacobsen Entertainment in Australia for $6.5 million, it was written by Eleanor Bergstein and had the same songs as the film, plus a few extra scenes."

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/22 at 5:25 pm

From wiki:

Prequel
In 2004, a prequel of the film was released, entitled Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. It tells the story of a sheltered American teenager learning about life through dance, when her family relocates to Havana, Cuba just before the 1959 Cuban Revolution. Swayze was paid $5 million to appear in a cameo role as a dance teacher.

The reviews posted at IMDB suggest that it was a real suckfest.

The total budget was $25MM, and they spent one-fifth of that to give Swayze a bit part.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 5:28 pm

The reviews posted at IMDB suggest that it was a real suckfest.

Rotten Tomatoes has the film rated as 23%, for me that is one to avoid.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:04 am

Rotten Tomatoes has the film rated as 23%, for me that is one to avoid.

That's why they should just leave the past in the past. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/22 at 5:11 am

That's why they should just leave the past in the past. ::)

On the other hand, this sequel could be like The Godfather Part II and be a smash hit.  :P

I wonder if the new plot will explain what happened to Jennifer Grey’s nose? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/22 at 5:19 am

On the other hand, this sequel could be like The Godfather Part II and be a smash hit.  :P

I wonder if the new plot will explain what happened to Jennifer Grey’s nose? ???
Something tells me I should the original "Dirty Dancing" again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/22 at 5:20 am

Something tells me I should the original "Dirty Dancing" again.
Will it be on television over the festive holiday?

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:30 pm

Why? What happened to her nose? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:31 pm

Will it be on television over the festive holiday?

I don't think so but you could see if it is.

Check for new replies or respond here...