inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2023: The year in film

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/09/22 at 2:07 pm

I thought it's not too early to start this topic as the movie lineup slated for release should be for the most part on schedule as the "COVID shuffle" should be pretty much over now. Here are the movies in my watchlist:

Super Mario Bros
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
The Little Mermaid
Wonka
Star Trek 4
TMNT: Mutant Mayhem
Peter Pan & Wendy
The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
The Marvels
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Fast X
The Flash
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (this one will probably be another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull if not worse, but I'll still watch it)
Dune: Part Two

It's looking like it's going to be a great year for movies, the best since 2019 if not better than that.

Subject: Re: 2023: The year in film

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/27/22 at 6:04 pm

Also the movie 65 looks interesting, and also Jesus Revolution.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/23 at 7:08 am

Michael Jackson's 26-year-old nephew, Jaafar Jackson, has confirmed he will portray the singer in a new big-screen biopic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 9:10 am

Disney has removed an episode of The Simpsons referring to Chinese labour camps from its streaming service in Hong Kong.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/07/23 at 10:17 am

I thought it's not too early to start this topic as the movie lineup slated for release should be for the most part on schedule as the "COVID shuffle" should be pretty much over now. Here are the movies in my watchlist:

Super Mario Bros
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
The Little Mermaid
Wonka
Star Trek 4
TMNT: Mutant Mayhem
Peter Pan & Wendy
The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
The Marvels
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Fast X
The Flash
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (this one will probably be another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull if not worse, but I'll still watch it)
Dune: Part Two

It's looking like it's going to be a great year for movies, the best since 2019 if not better than that.

Sorry, but the only one on your list that has any appeal to me is the Indiana Jones, and, as you say, it will probably disappoint.  Guess I'll stick to my old favorites, maybe  a Bogie splurge 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/23 at 7:56 am

Disney chief executive Bob Iger has announced sequels for Toy Story, Frozen and Zootopia as he detailed plans to turn around its streaming business.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/13/23 at 12:20 pm

The trailers aired during the Superbowl really has me excited for some of the movies, especially The Flash (with Michael Keaton reprising his role as Batman), Guardians 3, and Transformers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/23 at 1:44 am

World War One epic All Quiet on the Western Front has dominated at the Baftas, taking home seven awards, including best film.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/23 at 7:31 pm

I finally watched M3GAN today now that it's available on Peacock (for subscribers I believe). It was a lot better than I expected, and I could watch it again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/23 at 5:22 am

It's the Oscars on Sunday...

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/16/23 at 5:41 am

This is not really a matter of this year’s film slate, but I’d love to see my 2 new favorite sci-fi action heroes, Diego Luna (Andor) and Pedro Pascal (The Mandalorian, The Last of Us) co-star in something epic this year or next. That would make my year.

Subject: Bruce Willis's wife speaks of her grief at his dementia on his 68th birthday

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/23 at 6:28 am

Emma Heming Willis, the wife of actor Bruce Willis, has spoken about the "grief and sadness" she feels over her husband's dementia, as they celebrated his 68th birthday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65012888

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/23 at 6:29 am

"Luther: The Fallen Sun" is my must-see film at the moment.

The concept of a film adaptation for the BBC series was broached in August 2013, when series creator Neil Cross revealed he had written a script for a prequel to the series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/23 at 1:23 pm

A new Winnie the Pooh horror movie will not be released in Hong Kong and Macau, its distributor has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65030531

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/23 at 2:12 pm

Anyone seen the Super Mario Bros movie yet? I'm debating if I want to see it in the theater or wait until it's available on digital.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/23 at 2:52 pm

Anyone seen the Super Mario Bros movie yet? I'm debating if I want to see it in the theater or wait until it's available on digital.
Simply putting it, I am not rushing out to see it.

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/09/23 at 3:49 pm

I quite enjoyed it. So did my daughter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/23 at 6:45 am

Super Mario Movie's 'sensational' box office takings defy poor reviews

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65230431

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/12/23 at 4:21 am

Apparently it was the biggest opening weekend for an animated film, ever.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/12/23 at 5:46 am

It's definitely more successful than the forgettable movie from 30 years ago.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/12/23 at 8:15 am

Forgettable?  ;D SMB 1993 is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, along with Jason X. Eagerly looking forward to the new one.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/13/23 at 2:01 am

the Mario movie is an interesting phenomenon. Your enjoyment of it almost completely depends on how well you personally know the Mario franchise. Personally, as a lifelong Mario fan, and Bowser simp 🥵, I LOVED IT!!! But overall I'd give it a B

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/23 at 11:39 am

Filming for the latest Star Wars series has been cancelled amid landslip concerns. The set in Dorset is to be used for the latest Disney+ Star Wars series, Andor. The series is a prequel to the 2016 spin-off film Rogue One, and follows main character Cassian Andor. A National Trust spokeswoman confirmed filming had been cancelled because of safety concerns. Film crews previously used the site for filming two years ago and had been expecting to resume.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/22/23 at 6:10 pm

the Mario movie is an interesting phenomenon. Your enjoyment of it almost completely depends on how well you personally know the Mario franchise. Personally, as a lifelong Mario fan, and Bowser simp 🥵, I LOVED IT!!! But overall I'd give it a B

I finally watched today as I had the FOMO on the chance to see it in 3D. I really enjoyed it! The only thing that could have made it better was if it was live action/CG.

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/23/23 at 7:21 am

The Mario movie is on track to become the highest grossing animated movie of all time, and has already achieved top box office of 2023 as well as highest grossing video game adaptation of all time. This is historic.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/23 at 7:24 am

I finally watched today as I had the FOMO on the chance to see it in 3D. I really enjoyed it! The only thing that could have made it better was if it was live action/CG.

Was there all sorts of stuff looking like it was flying out of the screen at you? ???  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/23 at 8:47 am

Just watched Murder Mystery 2 on Netflix yesterday with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. It had its funny moments, but nothing like the classic Adam Sandler/Happy Madison produced movies. I must say Jennifer Anniston still looks great for her age, like she hasn't aged since Friends.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/23 at 10:38 am

Interesting CNN article about the Summer of 2023 movies, and how it's going to be the biggest one since the pandemic with the line-up. The article opens with one particular summer film, or an entire summer of films and made me think of 1989 with Batman and the other films from that summer, and 2005 with Batman Begins and that summer.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/05/entertainment/summer-movie-preview-2023/index.html

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/15/23 at 2:50 pm

Just watched "Jesus Revolution" recently and it was good. It was also based on a true story of Pastor Chuck Smith who founded the Calvary Chapel in California. I like the movies made by the Erwin Brothers, and this one wasn't as sad as their others, it was more uplifting.

Also I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 on Friday. It was ok overall, but I liked the first two better especially the 2nd one. It's seems to be the common thing with "Three-quels".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/23 at 7:02 am

Indiana Jones star Harrison Ford said he was "deeply moved and humbled" as he received an honorary Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival on Thursday.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/22/23 at 11:05 am

Fast X opened this past weekend. Anyone see it yet? I'm not in a rush to watch this one so I can wait until it's available for streaming. I do want to watch it eventually though since it features Rome.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/28/23 at 7:22 am

The Little Mermaid opened over the weekend. Anyone seen it? I think I'll wait until it comes to Disney+.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/23 at 9:19 pm

Fast X opened this past weekend. Anyone see it yet? I'm not in a rush to watch this one so I can wait until it's available for streaming. I do want to watch it eventually though since it features Rome.

I saw it.  It's so over the top with action and special effects, to not see it on big screen is almost a crime!

Written By: Elor on 05/30/23 at 6:26 am

Haven't seen it but from what I hear you need to switch off your brain to watch it or you'll go stupid.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/30/23 at 9:17 am

Haven't seen it but from what I hear you need to switch off your brain to watch it or you'll go stupid.

It started to get ridiculous after the 7th one. Even that one was far-fetched but at least it had Paul Walker right before he died so that's why that one was special.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/23 at 1:00 pm

It started to get ridiculous after the 7th one. Even that one was far-fetched but at least it had Paul Walker right before he died so that's why that one was special.
I gave up very on in the series...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/23 at 8:03 am

The Little Mermaid opened over the weekend. Anyone seen it? I think I'll wait until it comes to Disney+.
I will be waiting just like you.

Check for new replies or respond here...