inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Blizzard of Christmas 2022?

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/22/22 at 1:23 pm

If you are paying attention to the weather forecast, then you know we're in for a doozy of a winter storm, at least for 2 thirds of the U.S. Lots of wind, snow and astronomically low temperatures. If the weather people are correct, we might be in for a full Christmas weekend of this turmoil. They are pretty sure about this, and they are really confident  on this. Please stay warm and be careful for icy or snowy roads, if you are in the path of this storm. Have a safe Holiday season.  :-\\  :o 8-P

Subject: Re: The Blizzard of Christmas 2022?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/22/22 at 1:40 pm

Indeed, we have been tweaking our plans (here in Chicagoland) accordingly.

Stay safe yourself, Indy Gent!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/22 at 2:39 pm

Please stay safe out there, Everyone!

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/22/22 at 2:59 pm

Stay safe yourself, Indy Gent!  :)

With my health, I need to. :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/22/22 at 3:00 pm

Please stay safe out there, Everyone!

Cat

Amen to that.

Written By: Emman on 12/22/22 at 4:38 pm

Temps into the mid teens here with wind chills in the single digits, that is too cold for the Deep South >:(.

Our winters are supposed to be highs in low 60s and lows around 40, not this!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/22/22 at 9:37 pm

SHEESH - we had to go out in that awfulness.  (A medical thing - couldn't be helped.)  The roads are pretty snow-covered and treacherous.  We went in hubby's car; he has 4 wheel drive.  It helped that (a) the snow stopped falling heavily while we were out and (b) few other people were out.  Thankfully we made it to the hospital and back home, hubby being extra careful.  Subzero temps are in store for tomorrow; I think we'll stay home.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/22/22 at 10:08 pm

Temps into the mid teens here with wind chills in the single digits, that is too cold for the Deep South >:(.

Our winters are supposed to be highs in low 60s and lows around 40, not this!

Where I live (near Atlanta) it's normally supposed to be highs in the 40's or 50's and lows in the 20's and 30's. It's going to be almost the same temperature as Detroit and barely warmer than Chicago, but probably no snow.

SHEESH - we had to go out in that awfulness.  (A medical thing - couldn't be helped.)  The roads are pretty snow-covered and treacherous.  We went in hubby's car; he has 4 wheel drive.  It helped that (a) the snow stopped falling heavily while we were out and (b) few other people were out.  Thankfully we made it to the hospital and back home, hubby being extra careful.  Subzero temps are in store for tomorrow; I think we'll stay home.

I'm sorry you had to go out. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/22 at 3:22 am

If you are paying attention to the weather forecast, then you know we're in for a doozy of a winter storm, at least for 2 thirds of the U.S. Lots of wind, snow and astronomically low temperatures. If the weather people are correct, we might be in for a full Christmas weekend of this turmoil. They are pretty sure about this, and they are really confident  on this. Please stay warm and be careful for icy or snowy roads, if you are in the path of this storm. Have a safe Holiday season.  :-\\  :o 8-P

From what I heard on the news, NY will only get a bit of snow and a whole lot of rain and wind, temperatures will get up to 56 then fall dramatically to near 20 with bitter wind chills later on in the day but this cold spell will only be for 2 days then temperatures will then start to go up slightly to the upper 30's to near 40 for next week.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/23/22 at 12:10 pm

Hang in there, AG! Right now, we are at -6 degrees with no hope in getting any higher than that. You tubers in Michigan  are sending comments on that their weather is no big deal since this is normal Michigan winter weather. Apparently, they've never had to go out for a long time. They should show a little respect for Senior Citizens and others with health issues. They are the most affected with extreme cold. I hope that faucets are running and the cabinets are open so the pipes don't freeze.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/23/22 at 1:17 pm

...I'm sorry you had to go out. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Thanks, batfan2005!  :)

Hang in there, AG! ...

Thanks, Indy Gent!  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/23/22 at 1:25 pm

Temps into the mid teens here with wind chills in the single digits, that is too cold for the Deep South >:(.  ...

Where I live (near Atlanta) it's normally supposed to be highs in the 40's or 50's and lows in the 20's and 30's. It's going to be almost the same temperature as Detroit and barely warmer than Chicago, but probably no snow.  ...

...Right now, we are at -6 degrees with no hope in getting any higher than that...

Misery all over - that's just wrong!    :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/22 at 2:32 pm

I hope you guys are ok-not the going out part but having to go to the hospital part.

Cat

Subject: The Blizzard of Christmas 2022?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/23/22 at 2:34 pm

I hope everyone is ok!!!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/22 at 2:45 pm

Woke up this morning and the sun was shining and it was almost 60 degrees. Then it got dark and the wind picked up. It started raining and then it stopped and the sun came out but it was still windy and the temps were still in the 50s or so. Now it is dark again and rainy with the temps in the 40s. I'm just worried when the temp drops with the rain and all the snow melt it is going to be pretty slick out there. Glad we don't have any place to go for the next few days.

I really don't understand why people think that Vermont is above the Arctic Circle. My sisters in southern Conn. gets more snow that we do. I have been keeping an eye on the weather for many years now and it seems like other parts of the nation gets worst weather than we do. When other parts of the country gets nailed with a wicked storm, we are usually spared the brunt of it-whether it be rain, snow, or even hurricanes.

One time in December I was visiting my mother in upstate NY which was about 3 hours from here. When people learned that I lived in Vermont they asked how much snow we had. I looked out the window and said, "About the same amount that you have here." 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/23/22 at 3:47 pm

Hang in there, AG! Right now, we are at -6 degrees with no hope in getting any higher than that. You tubers in Michigan  are sending comments on that their weather is no big deal since this is normal Michigan winter weather. Apparently, they've never had to go out for a long time. They should show a little respect for Senior Citizens and others with health issues. They are the most affected with extreme cold. I hope that faucets are running and the cabinets are open so the pipes don't freeze.

How are the supermarkets over there, Indy?

Written By: Howard on 12/23/22 at 3:50 pm

So, just this morning, we had the mild temperatures around 50, then came the heavy rains, powerful gusty winds and then the plummeting temperatures, now it is a cold 23 degrees in NYC.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/23/22 at 3:55 pm

Misery all over - that's just wrong!    :(

I hope everyone is ok!!!!!!

Hopefully this will be the final suck of 2022.

So, just this morning, we had the mild temperatures around 50, then came the heavy rains, powerful gusty winds and then the plummeting temperatures, now it is a cold 23 degrees in NYC.

In Atlanta it was overnight last night. It was about 45 when I went to bed and then it started pouring down rain, then the temp dropped to the teens this morning. Luckily I was able to work from home today even though most people still went in to the office.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/23/22 at 4:56 pm

How are the supermarkets over there, Indy?

I haven't been in a supermarket in awhile, but my guess is that the shelves are half-empty. :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/23/22 at 5:26 pm

I hope you guys are ok-not the going out part but having to go to the hospital part.

Cat

Thanks, Cat.  As of now we're fine.  We actually made the hospital trip on behalf of a dear friend who lives near us.  She seems OK, too (though maybe I should check in on her).

Written By: Howard on 12/24/22 at 3:06 am

Thanks, Cat.  As of now we're fine.  We actually made the hospital trip on behalf of a dear friend who lives near us.  She seems OK, too (though maybe I should check in on her).

What did this friend come down with?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/22 at 2:07 pm

Like I said, we had mostly rain and then it turned to snow but didn't get too much. My cousin who lives about 2 hours north of here lost electricity for about 8 hours yesterday. Our lights only blinked once or twice.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/24/22 at 2:25 pm

Is anyone experiencing frigid cold temperatures right now?

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/24/22 at 5:43 pm

Is anyone experiencing frigid cold temperatures right now?

It's still pretty much cold here
We're not going to get warmer until Monday, and it's only gonna reach the 20s. But a warm up is ahead later in the week.
We deserve it.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/22 at 7:04 am

It's still pretty much cold here
We're not going to get warmer until Monday, and it's only gonna reach the 20s. But a warm up is ahead later in the week.
We deserve it.

NYC is still cold but we will eventually get a warm up by the end of the week when temps will get up into the 40's to near 50.

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/22 at 12:29 pm

We got lots of snow and high winds.  It was probably the worst blizzard I'd seen since Ice Storm '98.  I was very afraid because I had to drive to a funeral, and I wasn't going to let the snow stop me.  It didn't as it calmed down by the day I had to go, but we got a lot of snow here

Check for new replies or respond here...