inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2023: The year in music

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/23 at 8:31 am

Although this song was in the charts in December 2022 from her new album, SOS (which is also really good btw), as most songs released that time of year are considered the following year's song so that said I think this will be classified as a 2023 song:

NNd_ufPG3x4

Kill Bill is another one that I think will be a hit over the next few weeks.

Subject: Re: 2023: The year in music

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/16/23 at 2:20 pm

This sounds a lot different from her older stuff, even from 10 years ago. Her voice sounds a lot different.

G7KNmW9a75Y

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/23 at 9:11 pm

This one first entered the charts late last year, but it's rising up the charts now for January.  This is 10:35 by DJ Tiesto and Tate Mcrae
Currently at #18 in the UK and #30 in Canada

EXIWlRrkjKE

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/23 at 9:23 pm

Here is a song called Whitney by a singer named Rêve.  It's a tribute to Whitney Houston and contains an interpolation of I'm Every Woman.  Currently at #59 in Canada and rising!

dx-59tzasVw

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/17/23 at 12:48 pm

This song is a diss track aimed at her ex-boyfriend, soccer player Gerard Pique of FC Barcelona/Manchester United and the Spanish NT. The MV was inspired by A-ha's "Take On Me" video.

CocEMWdc7Ck

Here's another one that just released:

P10HOvTNPbk

This year just started and already music seems like it's headed in a different (better) direction from 2022.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/23 at 12:45 pm

Here is a song called Superstar by Irish DJs Belters Only and Micky Modelle with vocals by Canadian singer Simone Denny.  It is a reworking of the 1998 (2002 for the UK) hit You're A Superstar by Love Inc., of which Simone Denny was originally the singer for

VUzX4WGuy28

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/18/23 at 3:12 pm

"Never Let You Down Again" by Depeche Mode might be the next song to get Kate Bushed into a big resurgence after being used on HBO's The Last of Us.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/18/23 at 3:17 pm

"Never Let You Down Again" by Depeche Mode might be the next song to get Kate Bushed into a big resurgence after being used on HBO's The Last of Us.

I noticed it. I like that song. Good show too btw from watching the premier the other night.

Written By: LooseBolt on 01/20/23 at 2:26 pm

Yesssss love TLOU being a pop culture bellwether.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/22/23 at 4:48 pm

I really thought this was Avril Lavigne when I first heard this song, in a Taco Bell commercial.

-px9MYLIhGo

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/28/23 at 4:20 pm

ZWj-Z4Z2W3k

Macklemore is back. Haven't heard from him in 10 years.

ynlD8U_TvTs

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/28/23 at 4:24 pm

Another song I like. Perfect for Valentine's Day in a few weeks.

-Y7zc0eO26k

I'm liking the music of this year already. Also some big albums released on Friday including Ava Max - Diamonds & Dancefloors and Sam Smith - Gloria.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/23 at 2:02 pm

Beyoncé has announced a 43-date world tour in support of her critically-acclaimed Renaissance album, including five nights in the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/23 at 4:45 am

Beyoncé won a record-breaking 32nd Grammy Award, while Harry Styles won album of the year, at this year's ceremony in Los Angeles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/23 at 1:51 pm

Award-winning musical Hamilton is set to tour the UK for the first time. The show will open at Manchester's Palace Theatre for 15 weeks, running from 11 November to 24 February 2024.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/21/23 at 2:00 pm

Beyoncé won a record-breaking 32nd Grammy Award, while Harry Styles won album of the year, at this year's ceremony in Los Angeles.

Their albums were really good although they didn't have much competition last year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/26/23 at 4:18 pm

One of my favorite groups, the Gorillaz released their album Cracker Island on Friday. The titular song was released as a single back in 2022. The album is good overall, and one earworm from it is New Gold.

qJa-VFwPpYA

Another song I like recently (not in the charts and doesn't sound anything like mainstream music) is by New Zealand artist Kimbra, off her new album A Reckoning.

uZuo3Mp-TGI

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/23 at 9:01 am

I am addicted to the latest by Brits Jax Jones and Calum Scott.  This is called Whistle

1603gItZ9GI

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/23 at 2:05 am

Eurovision fans are preparing for the rush to get hold of coveted tickets for this year's song contest later.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/07/23 at 8:28 am

This song/video is very Early 2020's with the disco sound and aesthetics in the video, and a lot of pink everywhere. I have a feeling she will be popular over the next few years.

m8_8tMzmpTg

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/23 at 2:12 pm

Here is the latest from Canadian DJs Loud Luxury and DVBBS with American country singer Kane Brown.  This is new in the Canadian Chart at #63.  I gather it will soon be big in the US as Kane Brown is one of the BIGGEST country stars currently

FeI6iZI2OXw

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/23 at 3:11 am

Mae Muller will represent the United Kingdom at this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/23 at 5:28 am

Miley Cyrus has achieved a relatively rare chart feat in the UK - topping both the singles and album chart in the same week. Her eighth studio album Endless Summer Vacation enters the chart in pole position, while her single Flowers spends a ninth week at number one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/23 at 9:00 am

Culture Club will pay former drummer Jon Moss £1.75m to end a legal battle after he claimed they "expelled" him.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/23/23 at 8:48 am

WcIcVapfqXw

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/23/23 at 10:22 pm

This song/video is very Early 2020's with the disco sound and aesthetics in the video, and a lot of pink everywhere. I have a feeling she will be popular over the next few years.

m8_8tMzmpTg

She already has a bit hit with "Big Energy," which samples "Genius of Love."

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/23 at 12:57 pm

New entries in the Top 10 of the Billboard chart:

MZV0CIFQbbE

QyapQFCHUlg

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/01/23 at 10:46 am

The instrumentals in this song remind of music for an old Nintendo game.

oftolPu9qp4

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/01/23 at 12:44 pm

It’s official: I’m too old and I simply don’t get this generation’s music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/23 at 1:34 pm

Join the club  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/01/23 at 1:46 pm

What happened to the days of classic music with a great tune and beat?  ???

73RYirgeLV4

Written By: Howard on 04/01/23 at 2:54 pm

I'm almost 50 and I can't stand today's music, I don't even know who most of today's artists are anymore. ::)

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/01/23 at 5:26 pm

I'm almost 50 and I can't stand today's music, I don't even know who most of today's artists are anymore. ::)

Yep same ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/01/23 at 5:56 pm

But overall this year so far has been an improvement over 2022. Only at the end of Q1 and I already have 25 songs on my playlist.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/23 at 2:37 am

Yep same ;D

I think singers today don't have any taste whatsoever.

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/02/23 at 5:14 am

To be completely honest, if not for this thread, I would have no idea anyway. I am so completely out of sync with current music.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/23 at 3:26 pm

To be completely honest, if not for this thread, I would have no idea anyway. I am so completely out of sync with current music.

There is some good music from today that I like but others pretty much suck.

Written By: Emman on 04/02/23 at 5:44 pm

What happened to the days of classic music with a great tune and beat?  ???

73RYirgeLV4

You know younger musicians are ripping off '70s disco, also ripping off '80s synthpop and '90s house.
There's not even a hint of originality anymore in "youth" music.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/05/23 at 5:59 am

Jimin of BTS went solo and this song is #1 in the charts. I actually like this one.

nOI67IDlNMQ

Written By: Howard on 04/05/23 at 7:40 am

You know younger musicians are ripping off '70s disco, also ripping off '80s synthpop and '90s house.
There's not even a hint of originality anymore in "youth" music.

And that's the sad part in today's generation of music artists.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/14/23 at 7:33 pm

Jimin of BTS went solo and this song is #1 in the charts. I actually like this one.

nOI67IDlNMQ

same, I'm quite impressed, most of BTS's stuff has been mid af. His other new song Set Me Free P2 is even better! btw you should join Pulse Music Board, another forum like this, but focused on music and much more active

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/14/23 at 7:35 pm

"boohoo new music sucks, wah old music was so much better" few things irritate me more than this sentiment from 90% of people over the age of 40. Do you actually listen to the new stuff? A lot of it is great! Music's always evolving, there are definitely distinguishable trends going on rn. Most of the new stuff is more cinematic and dynamic in song structure

Written By: Emman on 04/15/23 at 4:53 pm

"boohoo new music sucks, wah old music was so much better" few things irritate me more than this sentiment from 90% of people over the age of 40. Do you actually listen to the new stuff? A lot of it is great! Music's always evolving, there are definitely distinguishable trends going on rn. Most of the new stuff is more cinematic and dynamic in song structure

It's not about the quality of "new" music, it's the fact it's all rehashing old styles over and over, there's no distinct aesthetic Zeitgeist like there was throughout the decades of the 20th century, it's just a post-modern closed loop. There's a guy named Kurt Andersen who called out the stylistic stagnation in a 2012 article called "you say you want a devolution" that really hits the nail on the head.

The 21st century so far has produced no genuinely new music styles or aesthetic movements, think of all the new aesthetic movements emerging between 1900 and 1920 alone, cubism, the futurist, dada, art deco, ect. Think of all the new subcultural movements in music that emerged between 1970 and 1990, nothing even close compares post-2000.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/23 at 7:21 am

A song that uses artificial intelligence to clone the voices of Drake and The Weeknd is being removed from streaming services.

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/19/23 at 3:57 am

Nah, new music sucks. I’m not even 40 yet, but the writing is on the wall for the current wave of artists.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/23 at 3:06 am

It has been reported in the British press that the Norwegian band A-Ha are due for a comeback.

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/23 at 6:33 am

It has been reported in the British press that the Norwegian band A-Ha are due for a comeback.

That comeback already happened.  They released an album last year, and it was a big hit throughout Europe including the UK, though it did not produce any charting singles

Written By: Howard on 04/20/23 at 2:15 pm

Are they going to sing their originals?

Written By: J. Rob on 04/21/23 at 11:03 pm

I'm 37 and most of what's popular sounds like generic versions of the stuff I heard as a kid. If you're too young to remember the 80s or 90s then I can understand how it sounds fresh, but I can also understand how people older than me find it even more boring than I do.

But I listen mostly to underground/fringe mainstream Hip Hop and R&B, which is in a pretty good place right now, so I don't have much to complain about.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/22/23 at 6:13 pm

I'm 37 and most of what's popular sounds like generic versions of the stuff I heard as a kid. If you're too young to remember the 80s or 90s then I can understand how it sounds fresh, but I can also understand how people older than me find it even more boring than I do.

But I listen mostly to underground/fringe mainstream Hip Hop and R&B, which is in a pretty good place right now, so I don't have much to complain about.

I still like some of the music of today even though it's mostly unoriginal, though some of it does sound unique.

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/27/23 at 6:02 am

So I'll be honest, I don't like Snoop Dogg that much and I've never heard of Bebe Rexha (where the hell have I been, right?), but I was amused by the video:

VBHr0faDCoQ

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/28/23 at 7:37 am

So I'll be honest, I don't like Snoop Dogg that much and I've never heard of Bebe Rexha (where the hell have I been, right?), but I was amused by the video:

VBHr0faDCoQ

That's a good one. It has a disco style. I've never heard of Bebe Rexha either but she kind of reminds me of Gwen Stefani.

Here's another recent one I like:

0OKqK8Fr72k

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/28/23 at 3:58 pm

Also country singer Morgan Wallen has been topping the charts with a few hits from his "One Thing at a Time" album, including the titular song.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/23 at 11:20 am

Neil Young and Snoop Doggy Dog joined Willie Nelson at his 90th birthday celebration.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/30/1172957015/neil-young-and-snoop-dogg-joined-willie-nelson-on-stage-for-a-90th-birthday-conc

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/23 at 6:10 pm

Popular French DJ David Guetta is back with another take on a 90s classic.  This is Baby Don't Hurt Me featuring Anne-Marie and Coi Leray.  I am a big fan of both Guetta and Anne-Marie, and What is Love by Haddaway was one of my favourite songs, so this one was a no brainer for me.  I love it!

The music video even pokes fun at A Night At the Roxbury

k3DBmAlUh1A

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/23 at 10:16 am

Popular French DJ David Guetta is back with another take on a 90s classic.  This is Baby Don't Hurt Me featuring Anne-Marie and Coi Leray.  I am a big fan of both Guetta and Anne-Marie, and What is Love by Haddaway was one of my favourite songs, so this one was a no brainer for me.  I love it!

The music video even pokes fun at A Night At the Roxbury

Yeah, every time I hear the original Haddaway's song I always do the head bobbing to the side, lol

Subject: Violinist Stefan Jackiw carries on performance when bow breaks

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/23 at 4:58 am

A violinist who travelled from New York to perform in Dorset wowed the audience after he manged to continue his performance despite his £24,000 bow breaking unexpectedly.

Stefan Jackiw was performing in Poole with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (BSO) on 10 May when it happened.

He was surprised as he says violin strings usually break, but bows do not.

The broken bow was immediately swapped for a different one and Mr Jackiw carried on as if nothing happened.

Cit0baSM-fY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-65615151

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/18/23 at 10:37 am

Is it just me or did music really hid a dud this quarter? The first quarter had a lot more good songs and albums but nothing really good this quarter except for Morgan Wallen if you even call that good. Ed Sheeran's "-" album is just ok, and same with Jack Harlow's "Jackman." album. We'll have to see how the summer months go but so far I don't see anything promising to be on the level of Beyonce's RENNAISANCE or Harry's House like last summer. So far this year the closest album to that level is "Red Moon in Venus" by Kali Uchis. It's a nice album to chill to.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/19/23 at 1:51 am

Last year (summer), I noticed that "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush overshadowed nearly every other song that was popular or a hit. The only other song that seemed as big up until "Anti-Hero" was "About Damn Time."

Harry Styles seemed like he wasn't doing his songs as "big" as his previous album, which featured monster hits "Adore You" and "Watermelon Sugar," plus "Golden." (Like, imagine if Michael Jackson had followed up Thriller with Invincible.) Beyonce was just kind of there.

One of my favorites last year (besides the obvious one) was "Numb Little Bug," especially because I relate to it so much, particularly the chorus.

2022 was the year of the resurrected hit. In addition to Kate Bush's Stranger Things-fueled smash, we also got "Unstoppable" by Sia (fueled by a commercial), "Die for You" by The Weeknd, "Sweater Weather," "Bloody Mary," and "Heat Waves" finished a lengthy (Record?) chart run. And even this year, Miguel's "Sure Thing" has been resurrected.

There have also been a lot of samples, like "Big Energy" ("Genius of Love"), "Creepin'" ("I Won't Wanna Know"/"Boadicea"), "I'm Good (Blue)" (Yes, "Da Ba Dee"), "Baby Don't Hurt Me" (Yes.), "Playaz" ("The Message"), and "Alone" by Kim Petras ("Better Off Alone").

"Creepin'" is a favorite of mine so far this year. Probably the most I've listened to Enya in ages.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/19/23 at 9:05 am

Last year (summer), I noticed that "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush overshadowed nearly every other song that was popular or a hit. The only other song that seemed as big up until "Anti-Hero" was "About Damn Time."

Harry Styles seemed like he wasn't doing his songs as "big" as his previous album, which featured monster hits "Adore You" and "Watermelon Sugar," plus "Golden." (Like, imagine if Michael Jackson had followed up Thriller with Invincible.) Beyonce was just kind of there.

One of my favorites last year (besides the obvious one) was "Numb Little Bug," especially because I relate to it so much, particularly the chorus.

2022 was the year of the resurrected hit. In addition to Kate Bush's Stranger Things-fueled smash, we also got "Unstoppable" by Sia (fueled by a commercial), "Die for You" by The Weeknd, "Sweater Weather," "Bloody Mary," and "Heat Waves" finished a lengthy (Record?) chart run. And even this year, Miguel's "Sure Thing" has been resurrected.

There have also been a lot of samples, like "Big Energy" ("Genius of Love"), "Creepin'" ("I Won't Wanna Know"/"Boadicea"), "I'm Good (Blue)" (Yes, "Da Ba Dee"), "Baby Don't Hurt Me" (Yes.), "Playaz" ("The Message"), and "Alone" by Kim Petras ("Better Off Alone").

"Creepin'" is a favorite of mine so far this year. Probably the most I've listened to Enya in ages.

Unfortunately this year is mostly a continuation of last year. I did like Harry's House, I thought of it more as the equivalent to Justin Timberlake's FS/LS album which followed his Justified album, and "As It Was" was like the "SexyBack". I never listened to Harry Styles' Fine Line album but I did like the "Adore You" song. "Running Up the Hill" was a good one and an earworm last summer while binge watching Stranger Things.

Samples and less originality seems to be the thing now, especially ones that have been sampled many times before like the Grandmaster Flash song which was sampled by Ice Cube, then P Diddy, and a few others. Reminds me of last year when Latto's song "Big Energy" was popular, which sampled "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club which was also sampled by Mariah Carey's "Fantasy".

This year's music so far seems to be dominated by Gen Z or Gen Z audience targeting artists like Ice Spice, Latto, and Coi Lerai. There's also been a lot of country in in the charts, not just Morgan Wallen but also Bailey Zimmerman, Luke Combs, and a few others.

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/23 at 9:39 am

Good music will always exist, you just have to know where to look.

Here is a new one called Substitution by Purple Disco Machine and Kungs.  It samples the 1984 hit Big in Japan by Alphaville, so right away, this one was a no brainer for me

7x5lqqji9ww

----------------------

Here is another new one called Rock My Body by R3HAB, INNA and SASH!.  It interpolates the 1997 SASH! hit Ecuador, which was a song I loved back in the day!  Plus, I am a fan of INNA, so I would have loved this regardless

aYCuEONIIDM

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/19/23 at 10:05 am

Good music will always exist, you just have to know where to look.

Here is a new one called Substitution by Purple Disco Machine and Kungs.  It samples the 1984 hit Big in Japan by Alphaville, so right away, this one was a no brainer for me

----------------------

Here is another new one called Rock My Body by R3HAB, INNA and SASH!.  It interpolates the 1997 SASH! hit Ecuador, which was a song I loved back in the day!  Plus, I am a fan of INNA, so I would have loved this regardless

Definitely not in the Billboard charts or mainstream radio. Spotify is a good place as it offers a lot of suggestions, including on the New Music Friday playlist. Here is one by Robin Thicke:

N7PZzD6fIf4

Here is one by Kylie Minogue, which sample a classic by Edith Piaf:

p6Cnazi_Fi0

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/19/23 at 10:07 am

This is a good one if you're into K-Pop:

Qc7_zRjH808

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/23 at 3:54 am

Four songs from the Eurovision Song Contest have charted in the UK top 10 simultaneously for the first time.

Loreen's Tattoo, which won the 2023 competition for Sweden, scored this week's highest new entry at number two.

Finland's Cha Cha Cha by Käärijä, which placed second in the contest, landed at number six, becoming the first fully-Finnish language song to chart.

I Wrote a Song by the UK's Mae Muller and Queen of the Kings by Norway's Alessandra reached number nine and 10.

Muller's track performed poorly at this year's contest, finishing in second-last place, but the song has enjoyed strong support from UK radio stations.

The Official Charts Company said the last and only other time two or more Eurovision songs have been in the top 10 at the same time was in 1982.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65647557

Written By: JacobThePlante on 05/20/23 at 8:04 pm

This is a good one if you're into K-Pop:

Qc7_zRjH808

my favorite song recently! Things were looking promising at the start of this year but we've entered a slump again

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/21/23 at 5:08 am

Four songs from the Eurovision Song Contest have charted in the UK top 10 simultaneously for the first time.

Loreen's Tattoo, which won the 2023 competition for Sweden, scored this week's highest new entry at number two.

Finland's Cha Cha Cha by Käärijä, which placed second in the contest, landed at number six, becoming the first fully-Finnish language song to chart.

I Wrote a Song by the UK's Mae Muller and Queen of the Kings by Norway's Alessandra reached number nine and 10.

Muller's track performed poorly at this year's contest, finishing in second-last place, but the song has enjoyed strong support from UK radio stations.

The Official Charts Company said the last and only other time two or more Eurovision songs have been in the top 10 at the same time was in 1982.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65647557

Some of my favorites were:

"Who the Hell is Edgar" by Teya & Salena (Austria)
Loreen "Tattoo"
Croatia
Moldova
Australia
Alessandra "Queen of Kings" (Norway)
"My Sister's Crown" (Czech Republic)
"Unicorn" (Israel)
Finland
Albania
Georgia (Kate Bush "Wuthering Heights" vibes)
Ukraine
Estonia

And speaking of Kate Bush, it looks like she might end up with another Netflix-fueled belated/resurrected hit. "This Woman's Work" was synced in the new J Lo movie The Mother.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/23 at 8:11 am

my favorite song recently! Things were looking promising at the start of this year but we've entered a slump again

Looks like things might be picking up again as we're approaching the summer months, hopefully. I added 7 songs to my playlist on Friday that all released around that day. Here's two of them:

YoSsWLB6nCk

Xm7ErNtgJuA

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/05/23 at 2:43 pm

MFNj3E_h2co

Check for new replies or respond here...