inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things 2023 will be remembered for

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/13/23 at 5:53 am

Potentially:

- The storms in California
- The M3GAN viral dance and memes

Subject: Re: Things 2023 will be remembered for

Written By: Howard on 01/13/23 at 3:50 pm

Death of Lisa Marie Presley

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/23 at 5:43 pm

The death of Adam Rich.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/14/23 at 3:00 am

Donald Trump situation

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/23 at 2:23 pm

Climate campaigner Greta Thunberg being detained by police at a protest outside a western German village.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/18/23 at 10:55 am

- Possibly the Shakira/BZRP song, depending on how viral it gets and chart duration.

- The Last of Us on HBO Max could be depending on the ratings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/23 at 12:35 pm

Andy Murray produced another scarcely-believable display to fight back from two sets down to beat Thanasi Kokkinakis in an epic Australian Open match finishing at 04:05 local time, lasting around 6 hours.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/27/23 at 3:06 pm

Tyre Nichols, in the same way as George Floyd and Rodney King. Even if it might not be as much of a racial issue, the brutality of how he got killed was pretty graphic and will induce emotions.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/23 at 3:21 pm

Double mass shootings in California.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/04/23 at 9:52 pm

The Chinese balloon

Written By: Howard on 02/05/23 at 2:46 am

Tyre Nichols

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/23 at 7:18 am

Tyre Nichols, in the same way as George Floyd and Rodney King. Even if it might not be as much of a racial issue, the brutality of how he got killed was pretty graphic and will induce emotions.

Makes for nice show. Meanwhile every year 9000+ African Americans are murdered and you hear very little other than the occasional “stop the violence vigil”.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/06/23 at 6:48 am

The earthquake in Turkey

Makes for nice show. Meanwhile every year 9000+ African Americans are murdered and you hear very little other than the occasional “stop the violence vigil”.

But the thing is the media chose to over report it for days if not weeks, hence why it might be something it will be remembered for even if we don't want to.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/23 at 6:53 am

The earthquake in Turkey

But the thing is the media chose to over report it for days if not weeks, hence why it might be something it will be remembered for even if we don't want to.

What was the magnitude of the earthquake? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/23 at 6:59 am

What was the magnitude of the earthquake? ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/12/23 at 3:37 pm

In addition to the Chinese balloon, 2 other unidentified objects.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/15/23 at 2:30 pm

Potentially Rihanna's SB Halftime show. I'm seeing it in memes everywhere.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/23 at 3:00 am

I have no idea what the hell she was singing about?  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/18/23 at 12:13 pm

I have no idea what the hell she was singing about?  ::)

She mainly focused on her Early 2010's songs like the ones with David Guetta and Calvin Harris. The only song she performed that was from before 2010 besides Umbrella was the song with Jay-Z. I was thinking S.O.S. and Pon De Replay would have been in the lineup. But more than her songs, the highlight of it was the announcement of her pregnancy and the raised glass platforms.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/18/23 at 12:36 pm

She mainly focused on her Early 2010's songs like the ones with David Guetta and Calvin Harris. The only song she performed that was from before 2010 besides Umbrella was the song with Jay-Z. I was thinking S.O.S. and Pon De Replay would have been in the lineup. But more than her songs, the highlight of it was the announcement of her pregnancy and the raised glass platforms.

There are some doubts among us that a Rhianna performance or a Rhianna pregnancy is something 2023 will be remembered for at some point down the line among people in future times.  And it certainly won't be remembered in the same breath as Prince's VERY memorable 2007 half time performance. (And, unlike Rhianna, Prince actually sang live and didn't fake it). I notice that people have started using these "what 2022 will be remembered for", "what 2023 will be remembered for" etc topics as catchalls for anything, memorable or otherwise,  that happens to be happening in the 24 hour news cycle.

I did notice that you said "potentially Rihanna's SB Halftime show" which indicates you do have some degree of perspective.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/18/23 at 1:19 pm

There are some doubts among us that a Rhianna performance or a Rhianna pregnancy is something 2023 will be remembered for at some point down the line among people in future times.  And it certainly won't be remembered in the same breath as Prince's VERY memorable 2007 half time performance. (And, unlike Rhianna, Prince actually sang live and didn't fake it). I notice that people have started using these "what 2022 will be remembered for", "what 2023 will be remembered for" etc topics as catchalls for anything, memorable or otherwise,  that happens to be happening in the 24 hour news cycle.

I did notice that you said "potentially Rihanna's SB Halftime show" which indicates you do have some degree of perspective.

Rihanna’s “scratch and sniff” maneuver in her ‘show’ shows just how lowest-denominator the NFL has sunk.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 02/18/23 at 3:12 pm

I don't even like that type of music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/23 at 8:22 am

A cinema in Brazil flooded out while showing "Titanic".

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/23 at 10:13 am

A cinema in Brazil flooded out while showing "Titanic".

Now that's memorable

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/20/23 at 9:15 am

I put potentially in case it does for some reason become something that stays in the news tabloids/social media even though it's doubtful. Aside from Prince in 2007 the only Halftime show that is remembered is the 2004 one because of the JT and Janet Jackson incident, for the similar reason that the Oscars of 2022 will be remembered. I like to note everything with potential as time progresses and then list the noteworthy news events/pop-culture trends usually at the end of each quarter, and then just exclude the ones that won't be remembered after about a week or so. Also when I make my final list at the end of the year, not necessarily everything from the quarterly lists make it to that one.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/30/23 at 11:54 am

Now that we're nearing the end of the first quarter, here's what I think we have so far:

- Turkey/Syria earthquake
- The Chinese balloon and other flying objects
- The train derailment/toxic spill in Palestine, OH
- The Nashville Covenant School shooting (possibly, it has been compared to Uvalde but not as large of a scale. Also incidents like these are becoming like hurricanes or tornadoes, increasing in frequency and thus becoming less novel)
- Possibly the storms in California and how much snow they got
- M3GAN (instant cult classic)
- The Last of Us
- Miley Cyrus' Flowers
- ChatGPT

Written By: Howard on 03/30/23 at 2:30 pm

Now that we're nearing the end of the first quarter, here's what I think we have so far:

- Turkey/Syria earthquake
- The Chinese balloon and other flying objects
- The train derailment/toxic spill in Palestine, OH
- The Nashville Covenant School shooting (possibly, it has been compared to Uvalde but not as large of a scale. Also incidents like these are becoming like hurricanes or tornadoes, increasing in frequency and thus becoming less novel)
- Possibly the storms in California and how much snow they got
- M3GAN (instant cult classic)
- The Last of Us
- Miley Cyrus' Flowers
- ChatGPT

And also Donald Trump too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/01/23 at 8:06 am

And also Donald Trump too.

Yeap, his inditement. Depending on how it goes.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 05/01/23 at 7:54 pm

the start of the AI takeover

Written By: Howard on 05/02/23 at 3:15 am

The flooding waters from the rain and showers from the few days.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/31/23 at 5:31 am

Morgan Wallen

Written By: Howard on 05/31/23 at 6:54 am

The Debt Ceiling

Check for new replies or respond here...