inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Three Detroit Rappers Found Dead…

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/04/23 at 3:23 pm

Three aspiring rappers in Detroit, who had been missing for days, have been found dead in what has been described as a rat-infested house

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/police-missing-3-rappers-were-killed-upstairs-in-abandoned-apartment-dumped-in-basement

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/missing-detroit-rappers-bodies-found-b2275522.html

Armani Kelly (who rapped by the name “Marley Whoop”), Dante Wicker (“B12”) and Montoya Givens (no nom de rap) were found “frozen solid” in the Highland Park area. Due to the frozen bodies, autopsies were delayed until they could be thawed out. At this point they have no suspects, but fowl play is being considered a possibility by the cops; a 15 year old has been arrested, having been caught with Kelly’s car with no good explanation.  :-\\

Detroit is such a cr@p hole. I used to spend a lot of time in that town. What a dump. Many of the surrounding ‘burbs are not much better.

Subject: Re: Three Detroit Rappers Found Dead…

Written By: Elor on 02/05/23 at 1:37 pm

Is it just me or is rapping a serious health hazard in the US? :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/23 at 2:22 pm

Is it just me or is rapping a serious health hazard in the US? :o

By rap standards, these guys did fairly well. Marley Whoop was 28, B12 was 31; and Montoya Givens was 31. They made it well past the “27 Club”.  :-\\

It’s not just American rappers though. Canadian rapper Pat Stay was stabbed to death last year at 36. And also last year, British rapper Jamal Edwards died at 31, but his was due to natural causes. Fellow Twenty-four year old British rapper Chris Kaba was not as lucky; he was shot dead by the Bobbies this past September.

Back in ‘19, French rapper Sabat was found shot dead at the age of 37 whilst sitting in his car outside a McDonald’s.

In ‘20, Ukrainian rapper Alexander Yushko (rap name, Andy Cartwright) was found dead at 30 in Russia, allegedly dismembered by his wife.  :o

So it’s not just American rappers.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/09/23 at 5:25 am

The cops have determined that the deaths likely were not random, as each rapper had been shot multiple,times, and analysis of the crime scene indicated that they were murdered elsewhere, and their bodies moved later to where they were found.

Apparently Kelly (“Marley Whoop”) and Givens (turns out his rap name was “Jugg”) met while in prison. Whoop did 8 years for armed robbery, and Jugg did 10 years and had just been out of the pokie for 10 months.  So perhaps they had run across some unsavory people in prison who had an axe to grind.  :-\\

Jugg was previously in the news. Back in 2012, he and a buddy robbed, beat, and carjacked legendary gospel singer Marvin Winans :o, which is how he spent a decade in the Michigan slam. Looks like Karma paid a visit to Detroit last month.  :-X

Written By: Elor on 02/09/23 at 10:09 am

Am I evil for believing that not much of value was lost?

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/23 at 4:16 pm

I'm shocked it wasn't gun related or a drive-by.  That seems to be the way most rappers go :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/09/23 at 6:04 pm

I'm shocked it wasn't gun related or a drive-by.  That seems to be the way most rappers go :(

Well they all died due to multiple gunshot wounds, so I’d say that gunplay was involved somehow.  :-\\

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/23 at 5:01 am

Detroit is such a cr@p hole. I used to spend a lot of time in that town. What a dump. Many of the surrounding ‘burbs are not much better.

Are you a Michigander? Because I am and I take umbrage with your statement.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/23 at 5:29 am

Are you a Michigander? Because I am and I take umbrage with your statement.

Spend a few years living in Ecorse and you’ll understand. Or visit some establishments along 8 Mile.

I remember one time… five people were found dead in a house (fowl play) in Ecorse and it was not a particularly big story. Another day, another house with dead people.

Then there’s the perpetually decayed and crime ridden Detroit itself, and the plethora of mob-connected businesses there. Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance comes to mind. And don’t get me started on Kwame Kilpatrick’s era.

Here’s a list of the most dangerous cities in the USA. Detroit comes in at #3, right behind St Louis and Jackson Mississippi. I’ve worked in all three places… the order of ranking is debatable but that’s just details. Baltimore and Memphis rank a couple notches lower than Detroit and that tells you something.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/02/23/crime-in-america-study-reveals-the-10-most-dangerous-cities-its-not-where-you-think/?sh=2d16da67710a

Nice strip clubs out by the airport though.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/23 at 6:12 am

Judging the entire greater Detroit area solely by what happens south of Hamtramck seems a little unfair, no? The only decent part of downtown Detroit may indeed be Gilbertville (i.e. Campus Martius and the surrounding area), I’ll grant you that, but I’d hardly condemn areas like Ferndale, Royal Oak, or even Oak Park by the sheesh that goes down from 8 Mile and onward.

Edit: Plus you can’t knock Motown, man, come on.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/10/23 at 8:02 am

Judging the entire greater Detroit area solely by what happens south of Hamtramck seems a little unfair, no? The only decent part of downtown Detroit may indeed be Gilbertville (i.e. Campus Martius and the surrounding area), I’ll grant you that, but I’d hardly condemn areas like Ferndale, Royal Oak, or even Oak Park by the sheesh that goes down from 8 Mile and onward.

Edit: Plus you can’t knock Motown, man, come on.

Actually the Downtown area has cleaned up a lot over the last decade. Greektown has become a popular go-to spot and the riverwalk around the Renn Center and Hart Plaza is pretty decent as well. It just has a negative image because of its history and certain areas that are still pretty bad. Same with Atlanta.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/23 at 8:12 am

Actually the Downtown area has cleaned up a lot over the last decade. Greektown has become a popular go-to spot and the riverwalk around the Renn Center and Hart Plaza is pretty decent as well. It just has a negative image because of its history and certain areas that are still pretty bad. Same with Atlanta.

In the last decade, yeah, but Midtown and that area has been backsliding somewhat since the pandemic started.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/23 at 7:53 pm

In the last decade, yeah, but Midtown and that area has been backsliding somewhat since the pandemic started.

By the way, Bolt, did you ever by happenstance go to a place called The Dizzy Duck out on 8 Mile?  I went in there with one of my suppliers one night, when troops were getting ready to be shipped out for Desert Storm. We went in there after we watched the Lions at the Silverdome. Was a wild time…  :P

Written By: Howard on 02/11/23 at 2:42 am

By the way, Bolt, did you ever by happenstance go to a place called The Dizzy Duck out on 8 Mile?  I went in there with one of my suppliers one night, when troops were getting ready to be shipped out for Desert Storm. We went in there after we watched the Lions at the Silverdome. Was a wild time…  :P

Was this during The 90's? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/23 at 4:16 am

Was this during The 90's? ???

Yep.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/23 at 4:39 am

It was Desert Storm, so it had to be. Anyway, no, never been.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/23 at 4:19 pm

It was Desert Storm, so it had to be. Anyway, no, never been.

Well The Dizzy Duck is no more. Seems they had some stuff going on that the authorities did not like, and they got shut down. Made its way to the Michigan Supreme Court… actually a landmark case… but the court sided with the prosecutors and the Duck was  dead. A few years later the venue burned down.

Mind you, the Duck was the kind of club where the talent was made up of dancers who had already run their course at Jason’s or Cheetah’s over in Windsor, and then did stints at the old PT’s by the airport. The Dizzy Duck was indeed a “third tier” venue. But wild nonetheless!

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/11/23 at 5:07 pm

Well The Dizzy Duck is no more. Seems they had some stuff going on that the authorities did not like, and they got shut down. Made its way to the Michigan Supreme Court… actually a landmark case… but the court sided with the prosecutors and the Duck was  dead. A few years later the venue burned down.

Mind you, the Duck was the kind of club where the talent was made up of dancers who had already run their course at Jason’s or Cheetah’s over in Windsor, and then did stints at the old PT’s by the airport. The Dizzy Duck was indeed a “third tier” venue. But wild nonetheless!

Interesting, MI Supreme Court decision here: https://casetext.com/case/michigan-v-dizzy-duck-1

Honestly I can’t argue with the reasoning of the court. No matter how you slice it, aiding and abetting prostitution is a crime.

Also this place was gone before I was even of age to patronize an establishment such as this, so yeah, no chance I would’ve heard of it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/23 at 5:11 pm

Interesting, MI Supreme Court decision here: https://casetext.com/case/michigan-v-dizzy-duck-1

Honestly I can’t argue with the reasoning of the court. No matter how you slice it, aiding and abetting prostitution is a crime.

Also this place was gone before I was even of age to patronize an establishment such as this, so yeah, no chance I would’ve heard of it.

They didn’t have the “plexiglass shower” when I was there.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...