inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Going to the movies just got more expensive… Ante up…

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/23 at 5:04 am

Just when you thought that going to the movies couldn’t get more expensive, what with $5 boxes of Junior Mints  and $6 buckets of stale popcorn, the geniuses at AMC Movie Theatres has come up with another bright idea.  ::)

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/amc-theaters-movie-ticket-price-seat-location-1235514262/

In the next few months, they’ll start charging more for “seats in the center” and less for front-row seats. It will be interesting to see exactly how they plan on policing this in the dark.  ???

Subject: Re: Going to the movies just got more expensive… Ante up…

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 7:22 am

There is still one good thing with a chain of cinemas here in the UK. An unlimited monthly card, with you pay a set price, usually around the value of watching ten to twelve viewings, and the rest of the films you see for the month are free. Plus bonuses, 10% off purchases at the kiosk, for candy, popcorn, ice cream, etc.

Written By: kickit on 02/07/23 at 11:51 am

Cinema is going to go the way of TV, in other words, streaming will take over that too, eventually.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 12:10 pm

All in all, the only true way to see a film is on the big cinema screen, and the last major film I saw that way was "1917" and can only be properly seen that way.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/23 at 3:10 pm

Just when you thought that going to the movies couldn’t get more expensive, what with $5 boxes of Junior Mints  and $6 buckets of stale popcorn, the geniuses at AMC Movie Theatres has come up with another bright idea.  ::)

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/amc-theaters-movie-ticket-price-seat-location-1235514262/

In the next few months, they’ll start charging more for “seats in the center” and less for front-row seats. It will be interesting to see exactly how they plan on policing this in the dark.  ???

I'm so glad I don't go to the movies anymore, even refreshments have gotten so expensive lately, I remember back in the days when you used to sneak in a bag of your own popcorn and trying not to get caught.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 3:14 pm

I'm so glad I don't go to the movies anymore, even refreshments have gotten so expensive lately, I remember back in the days when you used to sneak in a bag of your own popcorn and trying not to get caught.
Generally, I eat before seeing a film, and have a bottle of water in my pocket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 3:44 pm

... and if my pockets were big enough, I would take a packet of biscuits too.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/23 at 3:45 pm

That's a good idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 3:48 pm

But do not crunch the biscuits to loud.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/23 at 4:21 pm

I have not been to the "movies" since last century. Seriously. The last movie I saw at the theatre was Maverick. I did see a special screening of Flags of our Fathers on the big screen but that was at our local college-not a movie theatre. I prefer to watch movies in my VERY comfortable recliner/rocker. I KNOW what it on the floor and it is NOT sticky.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/23 at 4:35 pm

I have not been to the "movies" since last century. Seriously. The last movie I saw at the theatre was Maverick. I did see a special screening of Flags of our Fathers on the big screen but that was at our local college-not a movie theatre. I prefer to watch movies in my VERY comfortable recliner/rocker. I KNOW what it on the floor and it is NOT sticky.

Cat
Like you, I have fallen into that trap. It is much easier to watch films at home now.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/23 at 5:18 pm

Cat

It's been about 2-3 years since I've been to a movie theater but they've vastly improved since you last went. I don't know how common these are nor do I know if they have them in your neck of the woods, but some of the newer movie theaters around here have what are called "Dreamloungers," which are big leather power reclining chairs with cupholders in the armrests. As you can imagine, the tickets cost more than the regular seating but I can assure you that they're worth it.  8)

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/07/23 at 6:50 pm

Imagine going to a movie theater in the year of our Lord 2023. Streaming movies is far superior.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 2:47 am

But do not crunch the biscuits to loud.

Or they'll hear you!

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 2:48 am

Like you, I have fallen into that trap. It is much easier to watch films at home now.

And not deal with so many dumb people. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 2:49 am

Imagine going to a movie theater in the year of our Lord 2023. Streaming movies is far superior.

Exactly! And less expensive too. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 5:37 am

Exactly! And less expensive too. O0
Streaming films still have to be paid for.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 6:19 am

Or they'll hear you!
Just bite them softly, or during a noisy sequence of the film.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/08/23 at 7:03 am

It is nice to watch movies at home these days, especially considering how good TV's are now, but the one thing I like about going to movie theaters is the shared experience with other people who are witnessing iconic pop culture moments with you for the first time.

Sure, it's nice to watch Back To The Future in the comfort of your own home on your 65" hi-def TV, but it will never compare to the magic of seeing it in the theater for the first time in 1985 and cheering wildly with 200 other people when George McFly laid Biff out.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 7:09 am

Streaming is not that superior for all films in the cinema are not available online.

It is nice to watch movies at home these days, especially considering how good TV's are now, but the one thing I like about going to movie theaters is the shared experience with other people who are witnessing iconic pop culture moments with you for the first time.

Sure, it's nice to watch Back To The Future in the comfort of your own home on your 65" hi-def TV, but it will never compare to the magic of seeing it in the theater for the first time in 1985 and cheering wildly with 200 other people when George McFly laid Biff out.  ;)
Yes indeed, a shared experience, I saw "Casablanca" on the movie screen in a packed house, and you could hear the people saying the lines of the dialogue at the right moments of the film, movie karaoke?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/08/23 at 8:59 am

Yes indeed, a shared experience, I saw "Casablanca" on the movie screen in a packed house, and you could hear the people saying the lines of the dialogue at the right moments of the film, movie karaoke?

If I were there and people were saying the lines of the film out loud I would tell them in no uncertain terms to be quiet. One of the reasons (but by far not the only reason) movie theaters have died a death is the rude, loutish behavior of the patrons. Talking on cell phones, walking in and out, being loud, boisterous and inconsiderate in general. Who needs it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 9:02 am

If I were there and people were saying the lines of the film out loud I would tell them in no uncertain terms to be quiet. One of the reasons (but by far not the only reason) movie theaters have died a death is the rude, loutish behavior of the patrons. Talking on cell phones, walking in and out, being loud, boisterous and inconsiderate in general. Who needs it?
The showing of "Casablanca" was all done in good humour, in one sense it was expected to happen, the muttering of the lines was done in good respect. It was a leading repertory cinema in London and you have to be a member to see films there. The majority of the audience were die-hard movie buffs and had probably seen the film many a time before.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/08/23 at 9:36 am

It's been about 2-3 years since I've been to a movie theater but they've vastly improved since you last went. I don't know how common these are nor do I know if they have them in your neck of the woods, but some of the newer movie theaters around here have what are called "Dreamloungers," which are big leather power reclining chairs with cupholders in the armrests. As you can imagine, the tickets cost more than the regular seating but I can assure you that they're worth it.  8)

Went to the movie theater on Friday - it was a wonderful experience.  We thoroughly enjoyed those dreamlounger seats and the big screen viewing was extra special.  It was a matinee that we saw, as our dinner plans were for after the show. There were other people there - it wasn't crowded though - and the other patrons were pleasant enough.  I could've done without the $4.50 bottle of water, but I'm glad we went.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 9:56 am

Went to the movie theater on Friday - it was a wonderful experience.  We thoroughly enjoyed those dreamlounger seats and the big screen viewing was extra special.  It was a matinee that we saw, as our dinner plans were for after the show. There were other people there - it wasn't crowded though - and the other patrons were pleasant enough.  I could've done without the $4.50 bottle of water, but I'm glad we went.
We were in dreamlounger seats when I saw "La La Land", it was the first time I had seen them, and the popcorn at the cinema was vile.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/08/23 at 9:57 am

The showing of "Casablanca" was all done in good humour, in one sense it was expected to happen, the muttering of the lines was done in good respect. It was a leading repertory cinema in London and you have to be a member to see films there. The majority of the audience were die-hard movie buffs and had probably seen the film many a time before.

Ah yes, Casablanca, "play it again Sam" which isn't quite accurate, but has become iconic, so  "Here's lookin at you kid"

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 10:13 am

Ah yes, Casablanca, "play it again Sam" which isn't quite accurate, but has become iconic, so  "Here's lookin at you kid"
Actual line "Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!", my favourite line and I use it in situations in life today "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 1:26 pm

Yes, and you can enjoy them in the comfort of your own home.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 1:29 pm

It sure is,when you're by yourself and never have to deal with stupid people on their phones all day. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 1:31 pm

I remember dealing with them too back in the days but who knows how long movie theaters will continue to be in business for but for how long?

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 1:32 pm

4 dollars for water, you could've just filled up your own water in a small bottle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 1:35 pm

Yes, and you can enjoy them in the comfort of your own home.
For example, if there is one film you wish to see when the is not available to stream, you g to the cinema.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 1:40 pm

It sure is,when you're by yourself and never have to deal with stupid people on their phones all day. ::)
Over hear the audience are requested to switch off their phones before the start of the film, if they persist the management have the right take the phone away and return it after the film has finished.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/23 at 2:08 pm

Over hear the audience are requested to switch off their phones before the start of the film, if they persist the management have the right take the phone away and return it after the film has finished.

Or just have them take their calls outside.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 2:09 pm

Or just have them take their calls outside.
... how can they take and know if they have a call when their phones are switched off?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/23 at 2:18 pm

Actual line "Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!", my favourite line and I use it in situations in life today "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_A4Skusro

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/23 at 2:20 pm

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

nM_A4Skusro

Cat
I have to watch (and listen to) it on the phone, remember I have no computer speakers.

We are all shocked!

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/08/23 at 8:05 pm

It's already been a year since I went to the theater. Unfortunately it was the Grudge reboot that I probably would never have considered seeing. I miss going to the theater, but I don't really miss having to see whatever random movie my cousin wanted to go see. Whether the film was a) mainstream/popular b) anything I'd heard of c) any good was always a total crapshoot. My cousin has such questionable tastes. Actually, the same goes for most of my family. They are hardly artisans.

Normal person's franchises: Batman, James Bond, Jurassic, Star Wars, Marvel, Halloween
Cousin's franchises: Halloween, Jurassic, Jeepers Creepers, Rambo, Godzilla, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn

He pretty much only likes horror, comedy, action and Military. The more edgy/inappropriate, the better. He calls CGI "graphics." And he refers to the classics as "old school," in an affectionate way.

My Mom's "favorite actress" is... Queen Latifah. And she likes Tyler Perry movies.

I'm one of the few (Two? Three?) Democrats in the family, if that's a factor.

I had rarely gotten to see what I wanted to see since I moved in 2017. It's almost always been my cousin's movie. I made plans to see Suspiria (1977 and 2018) and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but things came up. I did get to see Joker with Mom. I'm so thankful we all love the Halloween franchise. We almost saw Kills and Ends in theaters, but things came up and we settled for Peacock.

Usually if there's a popular or arthouse movie I want to see, I have to stream or wait for the Blu-ray. Or hope against hope that my cousin wants to see it. These movies tend to be Disney, Marvel, A24, Oscar movies, Criterion, etc. We have Disney Plus, but I haven't bothered to use it because last I tried I needed to log in and I don't have that info, and my family annoys me on a level akin to Spongebob and Squidward.

Speaking of my family, they are often so annoying/noisy that I can barely get anything done until they start going to bed. So in that respect it's much easier to see films in the theater. As for my family's "taste" in movies, the opposite is true.

I must be an anomaly. Am I the only person who has never had a rude audience at a theater, except for perhaps my own family? I've found every audience to be respectful without exception.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/08/23 at 9:33 pm

Normal person's franchises: Batman, James Bond, Jurassic, Star Wars, Marvel, Halloween
Cousin's franchises: Halloween, Jurassic, Jeepers Creepers, Rambo, Godzilla, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn

"Normal person's franchises". I love it!!  O0  ;D  ;D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/08/23 at 10:37 pm

I knew I was going to forget one! Predator. Now there's a "Why is that a" franchise. I did like the one before Prey fairly enough, but the IP (until Prey) just never seemed relevant in this century. I liked Last Blood well enough, but hated the 2008 Rambo. I still say First Blood is the best of what little I've seen of the franchise. That's another franchise that just seems tired to me in 2023 AD.

Don't get me wrong, I love streaming. I love Netflix and HBO Max. HBO is the closest thing I have to TCM anymore, apart from Criterion Blu-rays. I enjoy watching originals on these services, but I mostly use Netflix to stream TV, and HBO Max to watch shows like The Sopranos that have eluded me for years. But there's just something about the theatrical experience that's second to none. I didn't always have good sound, and I only just recently got my TV's white balance/color temperature properly calibrated. (My TV is a Sanyo and has white balance settings instead of just color temp presets like on most TVs. So I spent over a decade eyeballing the picture several times until I got it right.) So watching a movie in theater, I can trust that the picture and sound are correct (even if the sound is rather loud nowadays). Not everybody has a huge TV (Mine's only 42 inches, large for a bedroom, but modest for a living room.) and certainly not everybody has surround sound, whether for money or practical reasons. I have floorstanding stereo speakers, but I've never hooked them up and I use Hi Res headphones plugged into an AV receiver for all of my audio needs. In the theater I get everything I can't get at home.

As for this whole price hike, yeah, it's stupid. "I came here to see Batman, not The Stones." The center seats are not only the best in terms of picture, but also for surround sound. I doubt this will last long.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/23 at 2:59 am

... how can they take and know if they have a call when their phones are switched off?

They can switch it back on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/23 at 3:28 am

They can switch it back on.

...and keep the phones switched off.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/23 at 2:51 am

...and keep the phones switched off.

They need to respect other people in the theater too.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/10/23 at 5:00 am

Considering how many streaming services are producing original content, the income stream is already there from your monthly or annual subscription.

I haven’t been in a movie theater since 2019, and I haven’t needed to be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/23 at 5:02 am

Considering how many streaming services are producing original content, the income stream is already there from your monthly or annual subscription.

Of course, in a matter of a few years, the films will be shown on 'normal' television channels.

BTW, I can wait.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/23 at 3:56 pm

I haven't been to one in many years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/23 at 6:03 pm

I haven't been to one in many years.

Knowing what goes on in those theatre seats, I would not go in there without a full hazmat suit.  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/11/23 at 2:43 am

Knowing what goes on in those theatre seats, I would not go in there without a full hazmat suit.  :o

Too many germs are probably lingering in that theater. 8-P

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/23 at 12:10 am

A lot of movies these days go to theatres for maybe a week (just so they can be considered for major awards), then they go straight to streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I wouldn't be surprised if one day, theatres just closed down

Written By: Howard on 02/12/23 at 2:43 am

A lot of movies these days go to theatres for maybe a week (just so they can be considered for major awards), then they go straight to streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I wouldn't be surprised if one day, theatres just closed down

I think that eventually might happen but not right now.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/23 at 2:57 am

You can easily go to the supermarket and buy some packs of candy and a big bottle of soda so you save yourself some money,everything became so expensive lately.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/16/23 at 4:52 am

You can easily go to the supermarket and buy some packs of candy and a big bottle of soda so you save yourself some money,everything became so expensive lately.

Theatres usually won’t let you BYOF though.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/23 at 2:46 am

I know that now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/23 at 8:24 am

Have larger pockets in your jacket.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/23 at 2:34 pm

That's one idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/23 at 2:01 am

That's one idea.
As I was saying in a previous reply here.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/23 at 2:47 am

As I was saying in a previous reply here.

And try not to make to much noise or they'll search you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/23 at 3:12 am

We are going full circle here?

And try not to make to much noise or they'll search you.

Just bite them softly, or during a noisy sequence of the film.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/20/23 at 5:19 am

What if the ushers hear some unauthorized munching?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/23 at 5:50 am

You tell the ushers or usherettes that you have food allergies and cannot eat the food available at the sales kiosk.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/20/23 at 10:00 am

You tell the ushers or usherettes that you have food allergies and cannot eat the food available at the sales kiosk.

Or just tell them to pound sand

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/23 at 10:38 am

With the length of some films today over 2½ hours long, you may need to take a three course dinner in with you.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/23 at 3:31 pm

Would they believe you?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/20/23 at 6:41 pm

Would they believe you?

Not if you have a box of Junior Mints or JujyFruits in your hand.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/21/23 at 6:58 am

With the length of some films today over 2½ hours long, you may need to take a three course dinner in with you.

I don't think the food over there fills you up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/23 at 12:29 pm

I don't think the food over there fills you up.
My meals do me fine!

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/21/23 at 1:49 pm

They have some theaters that serve a full (restaurant style) meal like Studio Movie Grill or something similar.

Cinema is going to go the way of TV, in other words, streaming will take over that too, eventually.

I thought it already was getting that way during the pandemic. This year though seems like it's a return to normal with cinema only releases. Then again you only need to wait a month or two at the most before it becomes available for streaming. Not like before when you had to wait like 4-6 months before it becomes available for renting at Blockbuster.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/23 at 1:55 pm

They have some theaters that serve a full (restaurant style) meal like Studio Movie Grill or something similar.
O0

Hoping that it is not too dark so that you can still see what you are eating?  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/21/23 at 1:59 pm

O0

Hoping that it is not too dark so that you can still see what you are eating?  ;D

Lol, for me the issue is not being able to multi-task. Eating literally takes my focus off the film and then I might miss some detail, and then people would be like "did you really watch the movie?" when I can't remember something they are talking about. I'm the type that can't remember every single detail of a movie from just watching it one time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/23 at 2:10 pm

Lol, for me the issue is not being able to multi-task. Eating literally takes my focus off the film and then I might miss some detail, and then people would be like "did you really watch the movie?" when I can't remember something they are talking about. I'm the type that can't remember every single detail of a movie from just watching it one time.
Guess who's coming for dinner, the whole cinema audience.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/21/23 at 2:41 pm

My meals do me fine!

Maybe you can bring a hamburger with you but then you got to worry about the mess from the burger itself.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/23 at 2:42 pm

O0

Some theaters have good lighting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/23 at 8:26 am

Some theaters have good lighting.
On the whole, the cinema should be dark so that a film can be shown.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/23 at 1:15 pm

On the whole, the cinema should be dark so that a film can be shown.

Or carry a device that has a flashlight.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/23 at 1:22 pm

Or carry a device that has a flashlight.
How can you hold a torch/flashlight when you have a knife and fork in your hands while eating?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/22/23 at 5:46 pm

How can you hold a torch/flashlight when you have a knife and fork in your hands while eating?

Get one of those jeweler’s headbands that has the light on it.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/23 at 3:19 am

That's one idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/23 at 3:37 am

Each time you lift your head to look at the movie screen the light will shine on to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...