inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Clown fashion

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/12/23 at 11:45 am

Interesting article about the clown fashion that seems to have become a trend now. One example is Harry Styles outfit he wore at the Grammys.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/clowncore-harry-styles-playboi-carti-dua-lipa-1234676624/

Subject: Re: Clown fashion

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/12/23 at 12:42 pm

I cannot believe this is real. It’s like the kind of thing you’d expect to see in a cartoon with exaggerated pop culture parodies meant to go over the kids’ heads.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/12/23 at 12:56 pm

I have been been talking about clown fashion since the 1990s when men's clothing became baggy beyond words and men's shorts (thanks to the influential Michael Jordan) became baggy and longer than anything that could be legitimately considered "shorts". I said they looked like something  from a clown's garage sale. I said it numerous times on this very site.  I guess I was ahead of my time, fashionwise.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/12/23 at 1:56 pm

Interesting article about the clown fashion that seems to have become a trend now. One example is Harry Styles outfit he wore at the Grammys.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/clowncore-harry-styles-playboi-carti-dua-lipa-1234676624/

This fashion is so stupid, Why don't they just don a green wig and a red nose while they're at it.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/12/23 at 4:15 pm

The final paragraph of the article explains the clown fashion phenomenon thusly:

Still, the presence of all these clowns in the musical zeitgeist cannot be explained by algorithmic attention-seeking alone. In the same era that led to widespread romantic notions of “villain eras” and “goblin modes,” the popularity of clowns in music may be an extension of our decision to embrace depravity. Feeling like a fool in love is a tale as old as time, but a global pandemic, war, economic disaster, and a climate catastrophe have made clowns out of all of us. Musicians may simply be holding up a mirror to an anarchic world, or acknowledging the humor of our own insignificance. When faced with the absurdity of so many converging crises, life itself can feel like a joke. And when resolve is wearing thin and hope feels futile, sometimes the only thing left to do is laugh.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/23 at 4:38 pm

Then you have the various performer who want to see how far they can get their boobs to hang out without actually failing out of their costumes.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/23 at 5:28 pm

Does this mean we will start seeing actual clowns dressing to the 9's in pinstripe suits and tuxedos? :D

Written By: Howard on 02/13/23 at 2:40 am

Then you have the various performer who want to see how far they can get their boobs to hang out without actually failing out of their costumes.  ::)

Especially at The Grammys.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/13/23 at 2:41 am

Does this mean we will start seeing actual clowns dressing to the 9's in pinstripe suits and tuxedos? :D

You never know. ;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/13/23 at 11:03 am

Nothing is new under the sun. Freddy Mercury was rocking clowncore fashion as early as 1977.

https://fashionpost.pl/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/freddie_mercury-image-495994-660x1000.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/13/23 at 3:02 pm

Are they available for birthday parties?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/23 at 7:45 am

Nothing is new under the sun. Freddy Mercury was rocking clowncore fashion as early as 1977.

https://fashionpost.pl/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/freddie_mercury-image-495994-660x1000.jpg

An expert use of the Harlequin fashion style.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/23 at 7:46 am

Especially at The Grammys.  ::)
Don't mention the Grammys!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/23 at 7:47 am

Are they available for birthday parties?  ;D
Just buy your own?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/23/23 at 1:51 pm

I have noticed the "Wonder Bread" design in jackets/hoodies or even track suits, the white with red, yellow, and blue polka-dots or some other type of pattern.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/23 at 3:08 am

I have noticed the "Wonder Bread" design in jackets/hoodies or even track suits, the white with red, yellow, and blue polka-dots or some other type of pattern.

Would you consider that clown fashion?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/23 at 5:24 am

Would you consider that clown fashion?

It looks like it

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/23 at 2:05 pm

Maybe some guy wearing Wonder Bread pants should hook up with Lady Gaga in that meat dress and together they can make a ham sandwich :D

Written By: Howard on 02/24/23 at 3:50 pm

Maybe some guy wearing Wonder Bread pants should hook up with Lady Gaga in that meat dress and together they can make a ham sandwich :D

;D That's a good idea.

Check for new replies or respond here...