inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Burrrp… Tupperware Is on the Skids…

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/11/23 at 5:04 pm

Longtime vendor of all sorts of home kitchen goods Tupperware may soon be a thing of the past.  :(

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/investing/tupperware-trouble/index.html

In a regulatory filing late Friday, the container maker said there’s “substantial doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern,” and that it’s working with financial advisers to find financing to stay afloat.

Better get your plastic wares while you can, folks.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Burrrp… Tupperware Is on the Skids…

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/23 at 5:25 am

I just checked out their website. No wonder they are going out of business. Their prices are obscenely high.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/23 at 7:55 am

One of the totemic things of the 1960s were "Tupperware Parties". Starting in the 1950s women would host these parties in their homes, invite all their friends,  and would earn a commission on items sold. It was direct marketing. This was the way Tupperware was sold. It was not available in stores at the time. Tupperware parties were all the rage.

Before writing this I looked online and was surprised to find this is still the way most Tupperware is sold, though one seldom hears of Tupperware parties anymore.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/12/23 at 9:52 am

One of the totemic things of the 1960s were "Tupperware Parties". Starting in the 1950s women would host these parties in their homes, invite all their friends,  and would earn a commission on items sold. It was direct marketing. This was the way Tupperware was sold. It was not available in stores at the time. Tupperware parties were all the rage.

Before writing this I looked online and was surprised to find this is still the way most Tupperware is sold, though one seldom hears of Tupperware parties anymore.

In the early '70s while in grad school my x wife was a Tupperware dealer.  She convinced me to do a party, just to see the reaction of the women.  She insisted that I ware a"sexy" shirt and tight pants etc. It or I was a big hit, so I kept on doing her parties.  True story

Written By: Howard on 04/12/23 at 1:48 pm

In the early '70s while in grad school my x wife was a Tupperware dealer.  She convinced me to do a party, just to see the reaction of the women.  She insisted that I ware a"sexy" shirt and tight pants etc. It or I was a big hit, so I kept on doing her parties.  True story

What was her reaction?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/23 at 1:52 pm

I never liked Tupperware. I found the lids never fit (if you could find them). They just felt cheap to me. There was ONE item they sold that I did like but never got it: their party platter.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71s5AQB48hL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

But, I like making platters (you can ask Carlos how many platters I create when guests come over).

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/23 at 6:57 pm

Dig THIS far out sociological definition of a Tupperware party I found online in an article called "Plastic Fantastic: The Endurance of the Tupperware Party". (By the way "Plastic Fantastic" is surely a reference to a classic Jefferson Airplane song "Plastic Fantastic Lover", from their classic 1967 "Surrealistic Pillow" album).

Plastic Fantastic: The Endurance of the Tupperware Party
https://pantograph-punch.com/posts/plastic-fantastic-the-endurance-of-the-tupperware-party

"Tupperware parties superficially operated as quasi-social gatherings, the ideal way for a young, socially self-conscious house-wife to widen her claustrophobically small circle of friends. More covertly, they gave thousands of hard-headed fifties house-wives with an insatiable zest for home economics an opportunity to safely fuse entrepreneurialism with the traditional social obligations of home entertainment – and improvement."

https://pantograph-punch.com/derivations/image/limit/1600/1600/eyJpZCI6ImltYWdlLzI2NTcvYXR0YWNobWVudC81YjIzYmJlYjdiZDNmMjY3OTQ1MjA3NjYzNzBjZDdhMi5qcGciLCJzdG9yYWdlIjoic3RvcmUifQ?signature=4f53fd285c4e5885d2672744d22e6c7b93b32936e4adf82d98752084242f9c60

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/23 at 1:53 am

Tupperware is the crème de la crème
Handy to put things in them
Helps the food to stay fresh long
For if not, will produce a pong

Written By: JacobThePlante on 04/13/23 at 1:57 am

nice burp!

Written By: Howard on 04/13/23 at 2:39 am

I never liked Tupperware. I found the lids never fit (if you could find them). They just felt cheap to me. There was ONE item they sold that I did like but never got it: their party platter.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71s5AQB48hL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

But, I like making platters (you can ask Carlos how many platters I create when guests come over).

Cat

You put the dip in the middle and the vegetables in those small slots.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/13/23 at 5:04 am

nice burp!

VWZfHxShRmA

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/23 at 2:28 pm

Dig THIS far out sociological definition of a Tupperware party I found online in an article called "Plastic Fantastic: The Endurance of the Tupperware Party". (By the way "Plastic Fantastic" is surely a reference to a classic Jefferson Airplane song "Plastic Fantastic Lover", from their classic 1967 "Surrealistic Pillow" album).

Plastic Fantastic: The Endurance of the Tupperware Party
https://pantograph-punch.com/posts/plastic-fantastic-the-endurance-of-the-tupperware-party

"Tupperware parties superficially operated as quasi-social gatherings, the ideal way for a young, socially self-conscious house-wife to widen her claustrophobically small circle of friends. More covertly, they gave thousands of hard-headed fifties house-wives with an insatiable zest for home economics an opportunity to safely fuse entrepreneurialism with the traditional social obligations of home entertainment – and improvement."

https://pantograph-punch.com/derivations/image/limit/1600/1600/eyJpZCI6ImltYWdlLzI2NTcvYXR0YWNobWVudC81YjIzYmJlYjdiZDNmMjY3OTQ1MjA3NjYzNzBjZDdhMi5qcGciLCJzdG9yYWdlIjoic3RvcmUifQ?signature=4f53fd285c4e5885d2672744d22e6c7b93b32936e4adf82d98752084242f9c60

Other companies copied the Tupperware party model: Mary Kay, Avon (though I didn't do any parties when I was selling Avon) Party Lite (candles), Magic Chef to name just a few. I remember going to a party with a bunch of dirty old women where they sold...um...adult items. I remember winning a lolly pop in the shape of  :-X. I never did eat it. I kept it as a conversation piece lol. But finally threw it away.

Cat 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/23 at 9:13 am

Other companies copied the Tupperware party model: Mary Kay, Avon (though I didn't do any parties when I was selling Avon) Party Lite (candles), Magic Chef to name just a few. 

Cat

All of the companies you mention are pyramid schemes of one form or another. The worst offender of all is Mary Kay. They are notorious for it. Even more notorious is Amway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/23 at 9:18 am

All of the companies you mention are pyramid schemes of one form or another. The worst offender of all is Mary Kay. They are notorious for it. Even more notorious is Amway.
Are pyramid schemes legal in UK?

Pyramid selling schemes are illegal and people who establish, operate or promote them can be prosecuted under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Nine people have been convicted under this law during 2012-14. These materials do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/23 at 9:55 am

Are pyramid schemes legal in UK?

Pyramid selling schemes are illegal and people who establish, operate or promote them can be prosecuted under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Nine people have been convicted under this law during 2012-14. These materials do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.

Pyramid schemes are not legal in the US. But most of the companies mentioned above are as close as it can get without technically being illegal. But, you know, if it looks like a rat and smells like a rat...

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 04/20/23 at 5:10 pm

Cat

You put the dip in the middle and the vegetables in those small slots.

Crudites!

_MMOa3ZQO78

Check for new replies or respond here...