inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Say Yes to the Dress… but not at David’s Bridal…

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/17/23 at 5:40 pm

Storied wedding wear purveyor David’s Bridal, which handles something like 1 in 4 weddings, has thrown in the towel and has filed for bankruptcy.  :- https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/business/davids-bridal-bankruptcy-retail/index.html

While they claim to still be “open for business” they are whacking 9000 of their 10000 employees.  :o

Ladies you’ll have to shop elsewhere for your bridal train.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Say Yes to the Dress… but not at David’s Bridal…

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/23 at 6:49 pm

I was very disappointed in my dress because it should have fit like it was made for me-because it was. Yeah, I hired the wrong seamstress to make it.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/17/23 at 6:57 pm

I was very disappointed in my dress because it should have fit like it was made for me-because it was. Yeah, I hired the wrong seamstress to make it.  :\'(

Cat

I have a seamstress who is going on 80 years old and she does excellent work.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/17/23 at 7:37 pm

I have a seamstress who is going on 80 years old and she does excellent work.  8)

You have a seamstress? What does she do for you?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/23 at 1:30 am

You have a seamstress? What does she do for you?  ???

Repairs clothing items that need mending. Also does alterations of clothes that I buy online occasionally.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/18/23 at 9:44 am

Repairs clothing items that need mending. Also does alterations of clothes that I buy online occasionally.

That's convenient to have. You don't see many seamstresses anymore. Another dying breed is the old independent shoe repair guys. The little shops we used to call "shoemakers". I found one to go to but they charge an arm and a leg now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/23 at 10:40 am

Could she mend or do drapes/curtains for you?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/23 at 4:53 pm

Could she mend or do drapes/curtains for you?

She’s done some “specials” for me, like taking a bolt of tweed cloth and making me a tablecloth with matching place mats and runners.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/23 at 4:56 pm

That's convenient to have. You don't see many seamstresses anymore. Another dying breed is the old independent shoe repair guys. The little shops we used to call "shoemakers". I found one to go to but they charge an arm and a leg now.

Her daughter is poised to take over the business eventually, so I’ll be well set for seamstressing hopefully for a long time.

As for shoes, we have a cobbler nearby, but he has a personality like Seinfeld’s “Soup Nazi”.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/23 at 6:43 pm

There is an alteration place that I go to that is called "Make it Sew." I asked the owner if she was a Trekkie. She said yes. lol. I have bought some dresses at a second hand place and gone right over to have them altered since they are around the corner from the second hand store. I wish it was open when I was having my dress made. I'm sure she would have done a better job.

There is a shoe repair place not too far from here.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...