inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sologamy: Some women are choosing to marry themselves

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/04/23 at 11:57 am

It appears that sologamy is on the rise among women.

I, take me, to love forever: Some women are marrying themselves, complete with white dresses, cakes, and lavish parties

https://www.insider.com/women-marrying-themselves-sologamy-pandemic-self-love-covid-2022-3

Excerpts:

When she opened the box with her engagement ring, Nneka Carter burst into tears.

It was the ring she'd dreamed of her entire life — perhaps because the 40-year-old had designed it herself and was about to accept her own proposal.

During the pandemic, Carter, a master cosmetologist and fitness instructor, endured months of separation from her friends and family. As a single woman, she had to remind herself that she could get through that difficult time on her own. Ultimately, she decided to affirm that strength by marrying herself.

In August, Carter said "I do" to herself at a surprise ceremony in Tampa, Florida, surrounded by 40 friends and family members.

Carter is one of dozens of singles around the globe who are embracing "sologamy," vowing to love themselves until death do them part. On the rise over the past decade, the trend has kicked into high gear since COVID-19 hit, as singles exhausted by Zoom dates and fortified by months of homebound self-discovery have embraced public declarations of self-love.

I chose to do this in recognition of the culmination of my journey to loving and accepting myself, and recognition that I didn't need to be in a romantic relationship with a significant other to be happy or find fulfillment," said Roberta "Robbie" Lyndall Fincham, who married herself on July 2 — her 55th birthday. Her closest friends attended the ceremony, complete with a wedding cake, in her garden.

"If someone has achieved something so important as self-love and self-compassion, then it's definitely worth celebrating," said Fincham, who lives in Australia. "Why should couples have all the fun?"

Subject: Re: Sologamy: Some women are choosing to marry themselves

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/23 at 12:03 pm

I, take me, to love forever: Some women are marrying themselves, complete with white dresses, cakes, and lavish parties

https://www.insider.com/women-marrying-themselves-sologamy-pandemic-self-love-covid-2022-3

Excerpts:

When she opened the box with her engagement ring, Nneka Carter burst into tears.

It was the ring she'd dreamed of her entire life — perhaps because the 40-year-old had designed it herself and was about to accept her own proposal.

During the pandemic, Carter, a master cosmetologist and fitness instructor, endured months of separation from her friends and family. As a single woman, she had to remind herself that she could get through that difficult time on her own. Ultimately, she decided to affirm that strength by marrying herself.

In August, Carter said "I do" to herself at a surprise ceremony in Tampa, Florida, surrounded by 40 friends and family members.

Carter is one of dozens of singles around the globe who are embracing "sologamy," vowing to love themselves until death do them part. On the rise over the past decade, the trend has kicked into high gear since COVID-19 hit, as singles exhausted by Zoom dates and fortified by months of homebound self-discovery have embraced public declarations of self-love.

I chose to do this in recognition of the culmination of my journey to loving and accepting myself, and recognition that I didn't need to be in a romantic relationship with a significant other to be happy or find fulfillment," said Roberta "Robbie" Lyndall Fincham, who married herself on July 2 — her 55th birthday. Her closest friends attended the ceremony, complete with a wedding cake, in her garden.

"If someone has achieved something so important as self-love and self-compassion, then it's definitely worth celebrating," said Fincham, who lives in Australia. "Why should couples have all the fun?"

Do you still get a marriage licence, and therefore is a legal contract?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/04/23 at 12:15 pm

Do you still get a marriage licence, and therefore is a legal contract?

It's all covered in the article.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/23 at 12:18 pm

It all sounds great until you end up in Divorce Court against yourself.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/23 at 12:19 pm

It all sounds great until you end up in Divorce Court against yourself.  :P
...and you get all the money and assets?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/23 at 12:20 pm

It's all covered in the article.
Thanks

"Not a binding, legal affair, but an expression of self-love."

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/23 at 12:25 pm

Excerpts:

How about equal rights for me?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/23 at 3:01 pm

Weird  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/23 at 3:05 pm

Weird  ::)

Is it April Fool's Day?

Written By: Howard on 06/04/23 at 3:32 pm

Is it April Fool's Day?

No, April 1st was 2 months ago so it's most likely real.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/23 at 3:33 pm

Excerpts:

Who's going to do the vows? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/23 at 4:12 pm

Who's going to do the vows? ???
Traditionally, the groom says his vows first followed in turn by the bride. That said, some couples may choose to say them in unison to each other, and if you'd rather the bride go first, speak to your registrar or celebrant well in advance to see if it's something that can be arranged.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/04/23 at 6:09 pm

Boy, people are sure getting desperate to get likes on Instagram.  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/05/23 at 2:45 am

Traditionally, the groom says his vows first followed in turn by the bride. That said, some couples may choose to say them in unison to each other, and if you'd rather the bride go first, speak to your registrar or celebrant well in advance to see if it's something that can be arranged.

I was referring to if the woman marries herself, does the woman take turns talking to herself?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/23 at 3:12 am

I was referring to if the woman marries herself, does the woman take turns talking to herself?
Just "an expression of self-love".

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/23 at 4:48 am

Here’s the appropriate wedding processional song: :P

wv-34w8kGPM

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/23 at 4:56 am

... or "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/23 at 5:03 am

... or "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen?

Or his classic from the Atlanta Rhythm Section.  ;)

nVQFHy6mM5A

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/23 at 5:32 am

Or his classic from the Atlanta Rhythm Section.  ;)

nVQFHy6mM5A
For me this: This video is not available

Written By: Howard on 06/05/23 at 3:31 pm

wv-34w8kGPM

That's a good one.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...