inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs of 1978

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/22/04 at 11:03 pm

This was a tough one for me, as 1978 was probably my favorite year of the 1970's.  I finally went with "Baker Street", with "Night Fever" following close behind.  8)

Subject: Re: Songs of 1978

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/23/04 at 5:14 am

Same for me !

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

(with Le Freak, a distant last....)  :o

Written By: mandamoo on 04/23/04 at 5:55 am

Extremely tough choice, CF ! :P

I picked 'Time Passages' ;D

Written By: jaytee on 04/23/04 at 8:40 am

Baker Street

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/04 at 8:40 am

I picked "La Freak" (don't ask why-long story).

There are several more that I can think of that you didn't include-2 out of 3 aint bad, Do you think I'm sexy, and maybe a few others.

Cat

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 04/23/04 at 10:35 am

Ill choose Baker Street.  Thats definitely the coolest song among the selections.  Its about the only song I can think of that has a ripping sax solo for the chorus!

Written By: Huw on 04/24/04 at 5:20 am

Has to be Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty did quite a few good records both alone ('Night Owl' is another superb one) and with Stealer's Wheel ('Stuck In The Middle With You'). But Baker Street is just one of those rare almost perfect classics.

Huw

Written By: pennsygirl on 04/26/04 at 12:33 pm

Tough choice, but Baker Street is my choice, I LOVED the sax in that song.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/26/04 at 1:37 pm

There are several more that I can think of that you didn't include-2 out of 3 aint bad, Do you think I'm sexy, and maybe a few others.

Cat

I would have included others, Cat, but 8 is the limit for polls.  :-\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/04 at 2:11 pm

Cat

Next time, put down 7 and say number 8 for "Other"  ;)

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/26/04 at 2:15 pm

Cat

Next time, put down 7 and say number 8 for "Other"  ;)

Cat

Normally I do include an "other" option, but there were just too many good songs that I had to fill all the blanks!  ;D ;)

Written By: zcrito on 04/26/04 at 3:16 pm

The first six work for me (I like 'em  :) ), but the last two... >:(

:D

Written By: Fred on 04/26/04 at 8:46 pm

Baby Come Back - Player

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/27/04 at 10:32 am

I went with Fred on this one....Player.  I actually liked that whole LP.  As for Gerry Rafferty, IMHO his best and my favorite was the follow-up to "Baker Street" called "Right Down The Line"....just my opinion though ;)

Written By: AL-B on 04/30/04 at 11:11 pm

Baker Street

Written By: barrisfan on 04/30/04 at 11:30 pm

i love the sax solo

baker street

Written By: Hairspray on 05/01/04 at 12:05 am

I can't vote here. I like all these tunes equally as much!! :o :D

Written By: roy on 05/01/04 at 1:30 am

an easy choice since al stewart's song is the only one that didn't bite.

Written By: Pandora on 05/01/04 at 1:46 pm

I went with Fred on this one....Player.  I actually liked that whole LP.  As for Gerry Rafferty, IMHO his best and my favorite was the follow-up to "Baker Street" called "Right Down The Line"....just my opinion though ;)

Well...that's just my opinion too. :) I also chose Player. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/01/04 at 2:19 pm

I wanted to put that one down instead, Mark, but I was afraid that only you and I would vote for it.  It is a fantastic song, but wasn't a big hit at the time...unfortunately.  :(

Written By: MooRocca on 05/01/04 at 3:58 pm

Hot Child In the City.  The only other song I like on this list is Le Freak. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 4:17 pm

Well...that's just my opinion too. :) I also chose Player. 
No pick, Pandora ;) I like that whole LP

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 4:19 pm

I wanted to put that one down instead, Mark, but I was afraid that only you and I would vote for it.  It is a fantastic song, but wasn't a big hit at the time...unfortunately.  :(
I know what you mean, Karen....now :-\ gets a LOT of airplay here...much more than Baker Street

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/01/04 at 8:33 pm

I know what you mean, Karen....now :-\ gets a LOT of airplay here...much more than Baker Street

I guess maybe the deejays were getting worn out on "Baker Street".  :-\  "Right Down The Line" is at the top of my list of all-time favorite songs and I still hear it on the radio here about once or twice a week (if I'm lucky).  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/04 at 12:23 pm

I guess maybe the deejays were getting worn out on "Baker Street".  :-\  "Right Down The Line" is at the top of my list of all-time favorite songs and I still hear it on the radio here about once or twice a week (if I'm lucky).  :)
You should turn off the radio and burn a few cd's..... ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/02/04 at 12:26 pm

Oh I've burned lots of CD's!  ;D  I bought Gerry Rafferty's greatest hits CD about 7 or 8 years ago.  And BTW, the ONLY time I listen to the radio is when I'm in the car.  At home it's strictly my own CD's.... ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/04 at 12:29 pm

Oh I've burned lots of CD's!  ;D  I bought Gerry Rafferty's greatest hits CD about 7 or 8 years ago.  And BTW, the ONLY time I listen to the radio is when I'm in the car.  At home it's strictly my own CD's.... ;D
Then you should consider a CD player for your car....my new Honda has a CD/Cassette player and I love it :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/02/04 at 3:18 pm

Then you should consider a CD player for your car....my new Honda has a CD/Cassette player and I love it :)

I do have a CD player in my car and I listen to it all the time!  But ever since this awesome new radio station started here I've been listening to the radio again...more than I have in YEARS!  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/04 at 6:55 pm

I do have a CD player in my car and I listen to it all the time!  But ever since this awesome new radio station started here I've been listening to the radio again...more than I have in YEARS!  8)
That's cool, Karen...I wasn't sure if you did or not.  We have a pretty decent station here as well...ever since I've had my cell phone I win a lot of cool stuff in trivia contests....after pulling to the side of the road first though ;)

Written By: nally on 09/30/04 at 10:54 am

Of those listed, probably "You're The One That I Want" and "Shadow Dancing." I would say "other", but you didn't put an "other".

Written By: bj26 on 09/30/04 at 1:06 pm

Good soulful songs seemed to come out that year.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/04 at 1:27 pm

Hot Child in the City

Tanya

Written By: Chrisrj on 10/04/04 at 8:00 pm

I actually voted Shadow Dancing because my mom let me hear the record album in the 80s... :-[

So it kinda has nostalgic value...

You know my brother was born that year?

Written By: Alice on 10/11/04 at 6:28 am

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty. No contest!

Chic's "Le Freak" is the second one.

Written By: Corinth on 10/11/04 at 7:34 pm

:oI really liked Hot child in the city with Nick Gilder. Of course the first time I heard that song I think that girl in it was me at the time. Corinth

Written By: Naschkater on 10/20/04 at 5:49 am

I go with "Baker Street", too. The saxophone parts are awesome.

Written By: Mergal on 12/03/04 at 12:26 am

I chose Baker Street, but it was a toss-up with Baby Come Back.

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/03/04 at 12:30 am

how did i miss this topic?!

Baby Come Back hands down(a shock,i know  ;D)..however,i do love most of the others as well... :)

Written By: Banks on 12/03/04 at 4:48 am

I love ALL of those songs...But the standout one for me would have to be Baker Street. Infact, I also liked Gerry Rafferty in Steelers Wheel when he sang Stuck In The Middle With You.

You guys sure do know how to make it hard for a guy to choose.

Alright Now

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/05 at 5:44 pm

Love them saxophone songs.  Gotta go with Baker Street  8)

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 09/22/05 at 8:25 pm

I like both "Baker Street" & "Baby Come Back"

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/23/05 at 6:27 am

Shadow Dancing

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/23/05 at 7:28 am

I picked 'Hot Child in the City'  8)

One of my favorite guilty pleasure songs from that year is 'Hey Deenie' by Shaun Cassidy  :)

Written By: cables on 09/23/05 at 11:04 am

Out of the available choices I went for Time Passages - I'm married to someone who likes Al Stewart as much as I like The Who!

I used to like Baker Street, but not so long ago it was still popular enough to be on the popular radio stations and old enough to be on the "gold" stations. I got sick of hearing it! If I never hear it again it will be too soon!

If there had been seven choices and "other" I would have gone for other as my favourite 1978 song is Who Are You by The Who.

Check for new replies or respond here...