inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Number One Song On This Day...1970's (UK)

Written By: Paul on 04/29/04 at 2:53 pm

Karen's done the US top sellers...here's the British equivalent...

1970 - All Kinds Of Everything - Dana

1971 - Hot Love - T.Rex

1972 - Amazing Grace - The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

1973 - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando

1974 - Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks

1975 - Bye Bye Baby - The Bay City Rollers

1976 - Save Your Kisses For Me - The Brotherhood Of Man

1977 - Knowing Me Knowing You - Abba

1978 - Night Fever - The Bee Gees

1979 - Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel

Subject: Re: Number One Song On This Day...1970's (UK)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/29/04 at 2:56 pm

Doing a little better...I know 5 of these songs!  And two of them matched what we had on our U.S. charts!  8)

Written By: Paul on 04/29/04 at 3:25 pm

Did indeed, Karen...a lot of 'doubling up' there...

A special mention to 1972's #1, 'Amazing Grace' - the only time (to my knowledge) that the bagpipes were prominently featured on a #1 record...certainly an acquired taste...

'Bye Bye Baby' was the high water mark of The Rollers' UK success (my sister being one of the screaming devotees...!) - this was a cover of the old Four Seasons number...

'Save Your Kisses For Me' was another British Eurovision winner...it's twee, dangerously twee, probably insufferably twee, so it should have me running for the hills - yet strangely it still appeals...a guilty pleasure par excellence...

Art Garfunkel managed a UK#1 twice - something his former partner never did...this song was featured in a full-length animated feature of Richard Adams' 'Watership Down'...which must have shocked any children who went to see it, as it's quite violent in places...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/29/04 at 3:54 pm

1972 - Amazing Grace - The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards  3

1973 - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando  3.5 

1974 - Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks  Sad, yet pretty song.  5

1977 - Knowing Me, Knowing You - ABBA  Love ABBA!  I'll give this song a 4.

1978 - Night Fever - The Bee Gees  Great song!  5

Written By: mandamoo on 04/29/04 at 6:41 pm

1971 - Hot Love - T.Rex 5....love T-Rex !

1972 - Amazing Grace - The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards 3.....bagpipes do nothing for me....having said that, AC/DC's 'It's A Long Way To The Top' certainly brought the best out in them ! ;D 8)

1973 - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando 3...I have this one on 45 ! :D

1974 - Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks 3

1975 - Bye Bye Baby - The Bay City Rollers 5...a sentimental favourite  :)

1976 - Save Your Kisses For Me - The Brotherhood Of Man 4...cheesey, but I like it ! :D

1977 - Knowing Me Knowing You - Abba 5

1978 - Night Fever - The Bee Gees 5+

1979 - Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel 5...I've always liked this....a lovely song IMO  :)

Written By: maddog on 04/30/04 at 8:05 am

I've had a soft spot for Dana ever since she played Snow White in a pantomime at our local theatre when I was a kid.
I was one of the birthday kids invited up on the stage, I think I was about 8 years old, and she kissed me on the cheek.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/30/04 at 8:10 am

1970 - All Kinds Of Everything - Dana  U/K

1971 - Hot Love - T.Rex  4.5 - at least THIS one wasn't re-named like another song of theirs we could mention  ;D

1972 - Amazing Grace - The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards  3

1973 - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando  3.5 - OK, but incredibly sappy

1974 - Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks  4 - also sappy, but I still like it  :o

1975 - Bye Bye Baby - The Bay City Rollers  4 - yeah.....

1976 - Save Your Kisses For Me - The Brotherhood Of Man  2 - grrrrr - and that AWFUL film clip with them doing the in/out feet thing

1977 - Knowing Me Knowing You - Abba  4 - okay

1978 - Night Fever - The Bee Gees  4 - not one of their better disco ones....

1979 - Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel  5 - beautiful  :)

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/04/04 at 2:09 pm

Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun. WOW  I remember that tune. It reminds me of my Grandparents. Great memories.

Tim

Written By: mon on 01/11/05 at 4:38 am

oh the horror of the AM radio.hadnt you kids discovered life beyond the top 40 yet?dear oh dear.two words,just for a start.DAVID BOWIE.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/12/05 at 2:07 pm

1970 - All Kinds Of Everything - Dana

1971 - Hot Love - T.Rex

1972 - Amazing Grace - The Pipes & Drums & Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

1973 - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando.........3

1974 - Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks............4

1975 - Bye Bye Baby - The Bay City Rollers......3

1976 - Save Your Kisses For Me - The Brotherhood Of Man

1977 - Knowing Me Knowing You - Abba..........5

1978 - Night Fever - The Bee Gees.......4

1979 - Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel

I voted on the ones I knew :)

Check for new replies or respond here...