inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's

Written By: BlinkBABYgrl87 on 04/29/04 at 7:59 pm

What were the famous authors and books of the nineteen seventees?
???

Subject: Re: 70's

Written By: jaytee on 04/29/04 at 9:40 pm

I was a teenager in the 70s - I remember reading the following books at school:

I Heard The Owl Call My Name - Author?
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Author ?
My Name Is Asher Lev - Chaim Potok
Cry The Beloved Country - Author ?

We used to read a lot of Harold Robbins and Jacqueline Sussan (s/p) which we though were so sophisticated and grown up (LOL).  Other favourites were Rich Man Poor Man by Irwin Shaw and The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.  Leon Uris was also a popular author.

That about all I can remember off the top of my head.  Hope this helps.

Written By: mon on 01/10/05 at 4:45 am

go ask alice was written by anonymous so is probably entirely bogus,much to my disillusionment.but bothe the book and the film were a big deal at the time.also anyting by carlos casteneda or robert hienlien.and remember that hippie nonsense "remember be here now"?very venice beach stoner.and dont forget those furry freak bros.anthologies.....

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/10/05 at 11:53 am

Wifey and God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
The Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Tanya

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/10/05 at 6:19 pm

Wifey and God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
The Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Tanya

Loved, loved, loved all of Judy Blume's books.  In fact, re-reading Wifey now!! Well...not at THIS very moment, but it's under my desk at work!!!   8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/10/05 at 11:22 pm

I love Judy Blume! She is one of my all time favorite authors. My favorite is Forever.

Tanya

Written By: mon on 01/11/05 at 3:53 am

i never promised you a rose garden.dont remember the author.william blatty's the excorcist.the other{also cant remember author}.such good friends by lois gold.was a movie with dyan canon.my darling,my hamburger.what was the name of the one where the three former mental hospital patients try to share a flat?

Written By: kydolphin34 on 01/13/05 at 6:57 pm

what was the name of the one where the three former mental hospital patients try to share a flat? 

Was the book titled "Tell Me that You love me Junie Moon"?  There was also a movie of it in 1970 starring Ken Howard, and I believe Liza Minelli.

Rhonda

Written By: Banks on 01/14/05 at 5:45 am

Here in Australia two books that I remember being huge were Jay Ansons The Amityville Horror and Audrey Rose (I think) by Frank Defilita. I loved both the movies from these books at the time, although The Amityville Horror movie has dated quite a bit, yet Audrey Rose still gets to me. Gota love Anthony Hopkins in the role of the grieving father in the movie as well.

AN

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/14/05 at 7:26 am

Stephen King first made it big in the 70's - he published his first novel Carrie in 1974.

For dieters out there, that book about the Scarsdale diet was published in 1978.

Written By: lorac614 on 01/14/05 at 2:39 pm

I remember reading books by Paul Zindel:

My Darling, My Hamburger
Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball!
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds
The Undertaker's Gone Bananas

Also Judy Blume.

Written By: gemini61 on 01/14/05 at 4:10 pm

Not sure if it was late 60s or early 70s, but a few I read

The Red Pony
The Cross & The Switchblade
The Outsiders
Go Ask Alice

Check for new replies or respond here...