inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Andy Gibb...The "Baby Bee Gee"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/30/04 at 2:29 pm

I love them all but chose "Don't Throw It All Away"....I was going to pick "I Just Wanna Be Your Everything" but it always bothered me ther way he pronounced "String"....Shtring :-\

Subject: Re: Andy Gibb...The "Baby Bee Gee"

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/30/04 at 2:31 pm

I love Andy Gibb!  My favorite is "Shadow Dancing".  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/04 at 2:39 pm

Thicker than Water

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 04/30/04 at 5:45 pm

Shadow Dancing

Written By: Lanie on 04/30/04 at 8:21 pm

"Don't Throw It All Away" :)

Written By: Hairspray on 04/30/04 at 11:27 pm

"I Just Wanna Be Your Everything"

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/01/04 at 7:47 am

Love Is Thicker Than Water

Written By: mandamoo on 05/01/04 at 7:50 am

I love Andy Gibb!  My favorite is "Shadow Dancing".  8)

Me too ! :D 8)

My favourite is '(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away'. Beautiful song.

Written By: jaytee on 05/01/04 at 7:51 am

I Just Wanna Be Your Everything (the memories that song brings back  :) )

Subject: Re: Andy Gibb...The "Baby Bee Gees"

Written By: aguilar on 05/06/04 at 3:19 pm

you are my everything .  My hub sang that to me on our wedding day .
    and on my 30 B-day 7 years ago he thougth me a surprise B-day witch is on X-mas all my friends
          showed up .after they where done with therer familys . the only music playing was the BeeGees

Subject: Re: Andy Gibb...The "Baby Bee Gees"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 3:21 pm

you are my everything .  My hub sang that to me on our wedding day .
    and on my 30 B-day 7 years ago he thougth me a surprise B-day witch is on X-mas all my friends
          showed up .after they where done with therer familys . the only music playing was the BeeGees
That's great, aguilar :)

Written By: gemini61 on 05/06/04 at 4:16 pm

I just want to be your everything! Love that song!

Written By: moonriver on 05/08/04 at 12:08 am

Shadow Dancing
Rest Your Love on Me (duet with Olivia Newton John)
I Just Want to Be Your Everything

Written By: NbC on 05/08/04 at 6:49 am

I Just Wanna Be Your Everything

Written By: Koop on 05/08/04 at 8:38 am

"I Just Want To Be Your Everything" is my favorite, followed by "Shadow Dancing".  Of course, anytime I hear "Shadow Dancing" now, I think of South Park and Mr. Garrison walking around with David Hasselhoff's head on his body.  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/30/04 at 10:59 am

"Shadow Dancing" is the only song of his that I know well; I'll go with it.

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/30/04 at 11:28 am

i went with (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away but it's really a toss up for me..Shadow Dancing,I Just Want To Be Your Everything,and Love Is Thicker Than Water all tie for second  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/04 at 7:06 pm

I Just want to be your everything - good song!

Tanya

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 10/04/04 at 4:14 pm

I pick other because I like them all.

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 10/04/04 at 4:34 pm

Not from the 70s,but I like an early 80s song which I believe is called "Time is Time"?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/26/04 at 2:40 pm

Not from the 70s,but I like an early 80s song which I believe is called "Time is Time"?
I'll have to check that one out :)

Written By: Schoolexnick on 12/23/04 at 1:09 pm

The Best Andy Gibb Song Ever is "Waiting For You"  which he wrote and composed totally by himself (very talented), but of those listed, my favorite would be Don't Throw It All Away.  The Way he sings it, you feel the sadness

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/04/05 at 9:55 pm

I too loved Andy Gibb My best friend and I went to his concert in 1978 In Seattle Washington our Moms took us our feet didnt touch the floor the whole time!  One of the best times of our lives!!!!!  He commited suicide soon after  OD on Cocaine I believe Because of Victoria Principle Does anyone remember her?

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 01/05/05 at 3:08 pm

Ski luvr,
He died in 1988,that's not what I would concider "soon after"..
And he died of  from an inflammatory heart virus,not suicide..

Written By: Howard on 01/05/05 at 4:03 pm

I Just Wanna Be Your Everything
Shadow Dancing

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/05/05 at 4:04 pm

Ski luvr,

March 10th,1988.

Howard

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/05/05 at 6:26 pm

SuspiciousMinds

I stand corrected I probably wasnt real aware of how soon because in my 20's I quit giggling over him. I guess everyone heard different if they didnt follow close.  I guess only family knows for sure and Cocaine does cause heart disease I had a very close friend die from this.  But I suppose no one would want to admit that  a family member died from drugs. The year is more then likely right but the cause I wouldnt be so sure! Everyone has their own source!!!!  10 years is a short time for some!    Have a nice Day. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/23/05 at 8:01 pm

*bump*

Written By: robby76 on 04/24/05 at 7:09 am

Thanks for *bump*'ing this as I've just gotten back into Andy Gibb. What great nostalgic and feelgood tracks! In fact i just bought a dvd of his tv appearances off Ebay.

I voted for "Shadow Dancing"... it really gets the feelgood factor going. Though my ultimate Andy song is Time Is Time from 1981!!! What a rockin' tune!

I was actually born in 1976, but my older sister was a huge fan and i also loved Punky Brewster which Andy starred in for 2 episodes... his rendition of "I Can't Help It" on the piano is absolutely incredible... way better than the original and dare I say way better without Olivia. Track it down guys... it's worth it!!!

Written By: KP Nut on 05/11/05 at 1:38 pm

I love I just Want To Be Your Everything,I also love Shadow Dancing,Reminds of of Tom's Rhinoplasty,that South Park Episode where Mr.Garrison is walking down the street to Andy Gibb,who my brother has never heard of. I don't know if he likes Andy Gibb Anyway,because he hates the Bee Gees. :D Picky,Picky,Picky! I also love Thicker Than Water. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/11/05 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for *bump*'ing this as I've just gotten back into Andy Gibb. What great nostalgic and feelgood tracks! In fact i just bought a dvd of his tv appearances off Ebay.

I voted for "Shadow Dancing"... it really gets the feelgood factor going. Though my ultimate Andy song is Time Is Time from 1981!!! What a rockin' tune!

I was actually born in 1976, but my older sister was a huge fan and i also loved Punky Brewster which Andy starred in for 2 episodes... his rendition of "I Can't Help It" on the piano is absolutely incredible... way better than the original and dare I say way better without Olivia. Track it down guys... it's worth it!!!
That's cool...and your welcome...thanks for the reply :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/11/05 at 3:44 pm

I love I just Want To Be Your Everything,I also love Shadow Dancing,Reminds of of Tom's Rhinoplasty,that South Park Episode where Mr.Garrison is walking down the street to Andy Gibb,who my brother has never heard of. I don't know if he likes Andy Gibb Anyway,because he hates the Bee Gees. :D Picky,Picky,Picky! I also love Thicker Than Water. ;)
Hey, it's politically correct to hate the Bee Gees...but the people who say they hate them usually deep down...like them ;)

Written By: robby76 on 05/11/05 at 9:11 pm

The Bee Gees were legends, but maybe too over-exposed.

Rock and rollfan, can u suggest anyone who's music is kinda like Andy's? Sorta happy 70's pop with a bit of disco. I really wanna explore that side of 70's music now.

Written By: spaceace on 05/11/05 at 9:17 pm

8)I miss Solid Gold!  Favorite Baby Gibb song . . . "Thicker Than Water".  Pretty wicked  stuff for a Gibb!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/11/05 at 9:54 pm

The Bee Gees were legends, but maybe too over-exposed.

Rock and rollfan, can u suggest anyone who's music is kinda like Andy's? Sorta happy 70's pop with a bit of disco. I really wanna explore that side of 70's music now.
At the moment nothing comes to mind...I'll have to sleep on that one....meanwhile, if anyone else would like to add thier thoughts on this....Karen? Maria?  :)

Written By: blueyedsoul on 11/05/05 at 11:27 am

I have been a huge beegees fan my whole life. I have my own fan site for them.  

VICTORIA PRINCIPAL DID KILL ANDY GIBB!!

I am outraged because ppl dont know the truth.  Victoria Principal has been said to chop up cocaine like a pro chef would chop with a knife!  She got Andy into cocaine.  And she was so old compared to him, she ran circles around him mentally, and she took him under.  She could have helped him. and she chose not to.  She was the abuser, playing the victim with such stealth that you dont realize it.  She arrived at Andy's funeral in a limo---and Barry Gibb sent the driver AWAY. The BeeGees want to have tact about this issue, so I am gonna say it for them.  Andy's heart condition was how Victoria stomped on it. She chewed him up and spit him out. if you argue that there was a 10 yr lapse in between the death--the effects of mental abuse do not just go away, look at how many ppl are in therapy over their childhood!!

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/05 at 11:34 am

I liked Andy's Final hit 'All I Have to Do is Dream' which was a 1981 duet with Victoria Principal.  Who even knew she could sing? LOL

Written By: bubu on 11/11/05 at 1:16 pm

actually, he died from heroin. he was madly in love w/ victoria and vowed to her that he would give it up. she dumped him, wanting nothing to do w/ someone doing that kind of drug. he kind of lost it after that and the drug became the end of him. the rest of the family barred her from entering when she showed up at his funeral.

Written By: bubu on 11/11/05 at 1:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Gibb

just so you know the truth:D of course, he might have had the heart problem, but it's more than likely he helped it along w/ heroin. i watched a documentary on him and that's what it said. i'm sure they didn't like him being remembered that way so they buried it and it became his heart problem.

The Fall From Grace

A well publicised affair with actress Victoria Principal ensued, while Gibb signed to several projects outside of the recording studio, including acclaimed performances in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on Broadway, The Pirates of Penzance in Los Angeles, and a short-term stint as co-host of a TV's Solid Gold. However, as Gibb's drug use intensified, he was unable to commit to regular performances and tapings, and was eventually removed from each of these endeavours. His romance with Principal also ended a short time later, but not before recording and releasing a vanity duet of the Everly Brothers' classic "All I Have To Do Is Dream". This would be Gibb's last official single, and his last US chart entry, peaking at number 51.

After seeking treatment for his drug addiction at the Betty Ford Clinic in the mid-1980s, Gibb toured small venues with a stage show of his greatest hits and covers, and appeared in guest-starring roles on several television situation comedies and game shows. Although his performances were well-received, they failed to return him to the height of his past successes. In 1987, with his debts far outweighing his income, Gibb was forced to declare bankruptcy.

Determined to revive his recording career, Gibb returned to work alongside brothers Barry and Maurice. They produced a series of demo recordings, which would eventually secure him a contract with the UK branch of Island Records. One of the demos, "Man On Fire", was released posthumously on the 1991 Polydor anthology, Andy Gibb, while another demo, "Arrow Through The Heart", though unreleased to the present day, would be featured on an episode of VH1's series Behind the Music.

The Death Of Andy Gibb

Ironically, "Arrow Through The Heart" included lyrics about death that would prove to be prophetic for Andy ("I'm too young to die"). He travelled to England to fulfil the label's request for more songs, moving into brother Robin's estate in Oxfordshire. Isolated and underinspired, he turned to drinking heavily, and fell ill. On March 7, 1988, Andy was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford complaining of stomach pains. Hidden even from those who were closest to him, Andy's illness was tempered by a previously diagnosed heart condition. Three days later, on the morning of March 10, 1988, Andy Gibb died of myocarditis — an inflammation of the heart muscle at the age of 30. His sudden death became fodder for tabloids. His body was brought back to Los Angeles, California for interment in Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery.

Written By: robby76 on 11/11/05 at 6:23 pm

I bought an Andy Gibb dvd from Ebay which included the "VH1 Andy Story"... which pretty much confirms the above. I think he had a lot of personal issues and demons in his head. I think he had an addictive personality... even where women were concerned and this may have even been too much for Victoria. Anyway no-one can truly know what went on.

Anyway his music still lives on and I'm loving all his studio albums, especially his 1980 "After Dark".

Written By: ValleyGirl on 11/11/05 at 11:02 pm

(Our Love)....Don't Throw it all away...Everlasting Love and I just want to be your everything...are 3 of my all time favorite songs. I love Andy Gibb.  I am a huge Bee Gee fan too! :)

Written By: snafu on 11/12/05 at 8:53 pm

I love them all but chose "Don't Throw It All Away"....I was going to pick "I Just Wanna Be Your Everything" but it always bothered me ther way he pronounced "String"....Shtring :-\
I was a 1970's child - My older sister always played this music! MY favorite Bee Gees song is "Too Much Heaven".  Jeez-Louise, talk about a REALLY ROMANTIC SONG!!! :P

Written By: My candy on 02/21/06 at 12:43 am

Ski luvr,

YOU did NOT spell consider right.
Your a big wingnut.
Andy Gibb had a weak heart resulting from his longterm heavy drug usage.
He was very depressed because of his stardom spiralling downward, he just turned 30,
and because of his devastation from his breakup w/Victoria Principle.
She dumped him, he couldn't take it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 12:48 am

I love "I Just Want To Be Your Everything".  His voice is so beautiful on it. 

Written By: vinyl lover on 02/24/06 at 12:05 am

dont throw it all away (our love) is the best song he sang although his other hits are great!!!

Written By: robby76 on 06/26/18 at 4:36 am

Rare performance of this song which I loved from his 3rd and final album.

LwDsFqmAZbY

Written By: Howard on 06/26/18 at 5:11 am

Shadow Dancing
I Just Want To Be Your Everything

Check for new replies or respond here...