inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Abba Poll

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/01/04 at 7:34 am

Nice outfits  ;D

Well, two outta four ain't bad  ;D

Subject: Re: Abba Poll

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/01/04 at 7:37 am

I chose S.O.S.

Written By: mandamoo on 05/01/04 at 7:43 am

Neato pic ! ;D

TOUGH choice !  I will go with 'Chiquitita' today, thank you  :D

Written By: jaytee on 05/01/04 at 7:52 am

Other:  Take A Chance On Me

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 9:04 am

"Knowing Me, Knowing You" was just behind "The Name Of The Game"....I love them all, except "Fernando"  :P

Written By: Paul on 05/01/04 at 9:55 am

I could've been difficult and put 'The Day Before You Came' as an 'other'...

...but y'just gotta love 'Dancing Queen'

Incidentally, anyone remember a song called 'Movie Star' by Harpo? Came out about 1976 - fairly big in Europe...well, that's Agnetha & Frida on the backing vocals...I never knew that until yesterday...!

Written By: zcrito on 05/01/04 at 12:33 pm

Other.

There are only two that I like from ABBA...

My favorite "Thank You For the Music" ( :) ) and my 2nd favorite "Dancing Queen".  :)

:D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 1:09 pm

I almost forgot about the song where the GUYS sang lead...."Does Your Mother Know" from 1979....anyone else remember it ???

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/01/04 at 2:23 pm

Neato pic ! ;D

TOUGH choice !   I will go with 'Chiquitita' today, thank you  :D

Ditto!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/01/04 at 2:25 pm

I almost forgot about the song where the GUYS sang lead...."Does Your Mother Know" from 1979....anyone else remember it ???

I remember that one...it's a really fast song.  I have it on their Gold album.  :)

Written By: Paul on 05/01/04 at 2:54 pm

Yes, 'Does Your Mother Know' had a lead vocal by Bjorn (the one normally without a beard...) - this was the only time one of the guys took the lead...although 'Honey Honey' does have a male 'break' on it...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Paul and Karen ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/01/04 at 5:45 pm

Incidentally, anyone remember a song called 'Movie Star' by Harpo? Came out about 1976 - fairly big in Europe...well, that's Agnetha & Frida on the backing vocals...I never knew that until yesterday...!

Yep !  Big hit in Aus !

"You feel like Steve McQueen
When you're driving in your car
And you think you look like James Bond
When you're smoking your cigar
It's so bizarre, you think you are
A new kind of James Dean
But the the only thing we've ever seen of you
Was a commercial spot on the screen...
"

I'm 'familiar with it'  ;D

Harpo had another hit here with "Horoscope"  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/01/04 at 5:46 pm

Yes, 'Does Your Mother Know' had a lead vocal by Bjorn (the one normally without a beard...) - this was the only time one of the guys took the lead...although 'Honey Honey' does have a male 'break' on it...

What about "Rock Me", Paul ?  That has Bjorn singing lead ?

Written By: Paul on 05/01/04 at 6:57 pm

Oh, marvellous spot, Fuss...completely escaped my brain that...!

Written By: mandamoo on 05/01/04 at 8:34 pm

'Does Your Mother Know' is a great song and yes, Bjorn signs the lead on 'Rock Me' ;)

Written By: mandamoo on 05/01/04 at 8:38 pm

I remember it ! I quite like it ! I never knew Agnetha & Frida did backing on that either, Paul !

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/04 at 4:44 pm

I voted for Take a Chance on Me followed by Momma Mia. Dancing Queen really got over played, and over played and over played. I think it is still be over played.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 05/02/04 at 5:04 pm

I voted for Take a Chance on Me followed by Momma Mia. Dancing Queen really got over played, and over played and over played. I think it is still be over played.

Cat

I remember when I first heard Dancing Queen make its comeback in the '90s. It was summer 1996, I was at a bar and remember how odd/clever it was for the DJ to play Dancing Queen then he followed it with Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails.

A very odd song combo?  :o

To tell the truth, I like DQ more now than when it first came out.   ;)

:D

Written By: Hairspray on 05/03/04 at 12:06 am

"Dancing Queen". Followed by "Voulez-Vous".

Written By: roy on 05/03/04 at 6:12 am

i actually bought the 45 of "the name of the game" and played the crap out of it. "s.o.s." is cool ,too(great production on both).

Written By: moonriver on 05/07/04 at 11:51 am

one of those groups with at least 5 songs which I like..

my favorites : Voulez-Vous, Mama Mia, Honey Honey, Our Last Summer

Written By: Lanie on 05/08/04 at 4:01 pm

"Dancing Queen"

Written By: smgridley on 05/11/04 at 4:55 pm

I choose SOS on the basis of sentimental value. It was the first ABBA song I ever heard

Written By: Holly on 05/19/04 at 6:10 pm

I chose "Knowing Me Knowing You" but I love all ABBA songs so I have to say I don't have any one favorite, they are all great!

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/20/04 at 10:59 am

Dancing queen, Take a chance on me and S.O.S., Mamma Mia,The Winner Takes It All.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/20/04 at 2:27 pm

I love Waterloo!  I was also stuck on a song called "Dumb Dumb Diddle".  Hey, I was like 8.  ;)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/20/04 at 3:16 pm

My favs:

1.  Dancing Queen
2.  Knowing Me, Knowing You
3.  Give Me A Man After Midnight!! 

;D 8) :D

Written By: Class of 84 on 05/20/04 at 9:27 pm

I was always a "closet" Abba fan, didn't want the big kids making fun of me.  Have to say "Dancing Queen" is there most defining piece of work.

Written By: maddog on 05/21/04 at 7:53 am

I voted for "The Name Of The Game".
The list of their songs that Fuss put together here reveals the Abba dichotomy - some really cheesy pop songs (which I never really enjoyed) and others that are genuine classics.

I don't this that photo you posted is actually Abba is it Fuss? It looks more like one of the tribute bands like Bjorn Again.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/21/04 at 8:03 am

I voted for "The Name Of The Game".
The list of their songs that Fuss put together here reveals the Abba dichotomy - some really cheesy pop songs (which I never really enjoyed) and others that are genuine classics.

I don't this that photo you posted is actually Abba is it Fuss? It looks more like one of the tribute bands like Bjorn Again.

AH !  You are first person to mention this in the thread  :)  Well done maddog, it is indeed Bjorn Again.

And congrats to Mooey for pointing it out about 3.86 seconds after I had posted it originally  ;D :P

As for Cheesy songs, would I be right in assuming they only released "Bang A Boomerang" in Australia  ???  The title of, to which I must add  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  :( ::)

Written By: mandamoo on 05/21/04 at 8:21 am

AH !  You are first person to mention this in the thread  :)  Well done maddog, it is indeed Bjorn Again.

And congrats to Mooey for pointing it out about 3.86 seconds after I had posted it originally  ;D :P

As for Cheesy songs, would I be right in assuming they only released "Bang A Boomerang" in Australia  ???  The title of, to which I must add  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  :( ::)

Yeah, well done maddog....and thanks Fussy  :D

Ha ! I completely forgot about Bang A Boomerang !  I'm not sure if it was released elsewhere. :-\\

Written By: Paul on 05/21/04 at 8:08 pm

Due to a wonderful attack of good sense, we in Britain were never subjected to it as a single release...

...but I gather our American friends had it tucked away on the other side of 'I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do'...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/22/04 at 8:04 am

Due to a wonderful attack of good sense, we in Britain were never subjected to it as a single release...

...but I gather our American friends had it tucked away on the other side of 'I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do'...

Poor bastards  ;)

That explains why no-one has voted for the A-side  :P

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/25/04 at 7:47 am

I voted for SOS, but ya gotta love the overplayed, everyone's sick of hearing it, Dancing Queen!  I do anyway!  ;)

Written By: AL-B on 05/25/04 at 9:20 pm

If my friends ever found this out they'd whoop my a** but I think  "Dancing Queen" is a cool song. :)

Written By: zcrito on 05/25/04 at 10:25 pm

If my friends ever found this out they'd whoop my a** but I think  "Dancing Queen" is a cool song. :)

"Outted" again.
;) ;D

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 05/28/04 at 8:01 am

"The Winner Takes It All"

Written By: arnequis on 05/30/04 at 4:04 pm

To me, "Abba" is like Lay's Potato Chips: it's impossible to choose only one song!  ;)

My Faves: Voulez-Vous
              Waterloo
              Take a Chance on Me
              Does Your Mother Know?

And hey, what about Super Trooper?  That was their last really upbeat-sounding song.  "Winner Takes it All" is good but it has such a tragic knell to it . . . you knew the end was near for this great band.  :\'(

Written By: hoogbest on 06/01/04 at 2:56 pm

"Dancing Queen" was my eight year old daughter's favorite so it was and still is mine. :)

Written By: namilliron on 06/10/04 at 1:06 pm

Actually, Bjorn also sang lead on WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE ME?, a track from Arrival (1976).  The song was re-worked (and improved) as HAPPY HAWAII, which at least in the US was a flip to DANCING QUEEN (their only US #1, BTW)

As for favorite song, it would have to be EAGLE.

Written By: Paul on 06/10/04 at 3:52 pm

Actually, Bjorn also sang lead on WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE ME?, a track from Arrival (1976).  The song was re-worked (and improved) as HAPPY HAWAII, which at least in the US was a flip to DANCING QUEEN (their only US #1, BTW)

At the risk of sounding too much like John Cleese (in 'The Life Of Brian' natch...)

Okay, apart from 'Rock Me' and 'Why Did It Have To Be Me' and the male break in 'Honey Honey'...the only time an Abba male sang lead was on 'Does Your Mother Know'...(!)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/11/04 at 8:16 am

At the risk of sounding too much like John Cleese (in 'The Life Of Brian' natch...)

Okay, apart from 'Rock Me' and 'Why Did It Have To Be Me' and the male break in 'Honey Honey'...the only time an Abba male sang lead was on 'Does Your Mother Know'...(!)

Well said John  ;)

Written By: Eve Orzabal Smith on 06/14/04 at 8:57 pm

I LOVE ABBA!!!!!!

I really like all their songs, but my favourite is "Chiquitita"

It was the 1st song I've heard from them 8).

I also Like "Take a Chance on me", "Dancing Queen", "That's me"...among many others!

Written By: nally on 06/15/04 at 12:40 pm

"Take A Chance On Me", "Dancing Queen", and "Name of the Game", in that order.

Written By: goldie on 06/18/04 at 9:19 am

"Take a Chance on Me"

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 06/19/04 at 3:47 pm

Dancing Queen is my fave. It was out the year I graduated high school and reminds me of those days.

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/19/04 at 11:48 pm

"Knowing Me, Knowing You".  Uh-huh.  8)

Written By: blackdog on 06/20/04 at 2:23 am

I may have already answered this one or voted before... but Waterloo has got to be at the top & one of the best.  (What is a waterloo anyway?   I've always wondered, any of you smart folks out here know?)

Catchy tune and I think it was their first hit in the states possibly?

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/01/04 at 11:05 pm

as if i could pick only one lol

Written By: annieox03 on 07/07/04 at 8:15 pm

It's so hard to choose...I Love ABBA.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 3:47 pm

Take a Chance on Me with Waterloo close behind

Written By: eddiescharmed1 on 07/29/04 at 12:19 am

I like all of them...but your talking to someone who had their greatest hits album from K Tel ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/29/04 at 12:27 am

I like all of them...but your talking to someone who had their greatest hits album from K Tel ;D

touche   ;)

Written By: Jen82 on 02/05/05 at 11:53 am

The Name Of The Game

Written By: Howard on 02/05/05 at 6:46 pm

Dancing Queen
Mama Mia
SOS

Howard

Written By: micah on 02/06/05 at 7:13 am

S.O.S was my choice.

Written By: Mergal on 02/08/05 at 8:59 am

From the list I picked "Dancing Queen". My parents have told me numerous times that I use to dance to this as a baby. But I think my all time favorite is "Like an Angel Passing Through the Room" because it's so haunting and beautiful.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/09/06 at 10:50 am

I could've been difficult and put 'The Day Before You Came' as an 'other'...

...but y'just gotta love 'Dancing Queen'

Yeah Paul,  Dancing Queen still sounds as fresh today as it did in the 70's, just brilliant.

I have HARPO'S 'Movie Star' on 7" vinyl..and heyyyy I didn't know that  :) :)

'you think you look like James Bond when you're driving in your car..it's soo bizarre..you think you are..'

>>>>grins<<<<

Written By: TheRemf on 02/09/06 at 3:04 pm

Other:  So Long

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/14 at 9:56 am

Fernando

Written By: Howard on 07/02/14 at 2:10 pm

Dancing Queen

Written By: Katluver on 07/09/14 at 2:18 am

I normally don't like selecting "Other" but for this poll it would be "Summer Night City".

Written By: Howard on 07/09/14 at 2:10 pm

Lay All Your Love On Me
Super Trouper
Winner Takes It All

Written By: DemiLover89 on 07/10/14 at 12:25 am

I heard Dancing Queen at every dance I've ever attended as a kid.

Written By: Cherie70 on 07/19/14 at 3:04 pm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cwKCU8Z5c

Check for new replies or respond here...