inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: George Harrison Solo...1970-1988

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 3:40 pm

I went with the Lord..."My Sweet Lord" that is!  Followed by "Is This Love" and then "Blow Away"

Subject: Re: George Harrison Solo...1970-1988

Written By: Hairspray on 05/01/04 at 7:16 pm

My Sweet Lord. Honorary mention to "When We Was Fab".

Written By: mandamoo on 05/01/04 at 8:43 pm

'What Is Life' is my favourite.  'My Sweet Lord','Give Me Love' and 'Blow Away' tie for second. 8)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/01/04 at 9:34 pm

I had to go with I Got My Mind Set on You

Written By: jaytee on 05/02/04 at 12:13 am

What Is Life

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/04 at 1:36 pm

Other: When we was Fab followed by I got my mind set on you.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 05/02/04 at 1:39 pm

Other: 'What Is Life" which was unbelievably relegated to the back of 'My Sweet Lord' in many countries (certainly was here!) - top song in its own right...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/02/04 at 1:49 pm

What a hard choice - I REALLY, REALLY LOVE George Harrison!  :) :) :)

I picked "Blow Away" but I almost picked "Other" to enter "What Is Life", and debated whether to pick "Crackerbox Palace" too.

Written By: roy on 05/03/04 at 8:05 am

concrete blonde recorded a version of "beware of darkness" on one of their records, and the week george harrison died i saw them @ the roxy in boston and they performed it -not a dry eye in the house :'( :'( :'( :'(i will never forget it. i'm seeing todd rundgren @ the roxy this tuesday(tomorrow), and he's going to be doing "while my guitar gently weeps" which he recorded for a george harrison tribute album,and even though it's been a while since george left the material world, i'm predicting a similar emotional response(from me,anyway).

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 11:24 am

Yep, followed by 'When we was fab'. It's a simple song but it has such a nice feel to it.

I never thought much of 'My sweet lord'. It does have that kind of 'He's so fine' by The Chiffons feel to it - and I didn't think of that song either.  :-\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/04/04 at 9:29 pm

My Sweet Lord

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 9:35 pm

My Sweet Lord
Testify!

Written By: Zella on 05/06/04 at 12:05 am

Well, I bought "My Sweet Lord" whe it was out, but now have to admit it is a bit....repetetive...  ::)

Of the above choices I would go with "Give Me Love" - I disliked it in 1973, but it sounds nicely nostalgic now.

Also points for "Dark Horse" as Harry-boy had a very interesting "I'm on heavy drugs and mumbling" performance in that one...  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 1:10 pm

Well, I bought "My Sweet Lord" whe it was out, but now have to admit it is a bit....repetetive...  ::)

Of the above choices I would go with "Give Me Love" - I disliked it in 1973, but it sounds nicely nostalgic now.

Also points for "Dark Horse" as Harry-boy had a very interesting "I'm on heavy drugs and mumbling" performance in that one...  :P
This is former Beatle # 2 that you've slandered, good woman, have you NO mercy ??? Now I must go check out #'s 3 and 4 ::)

Written By: Lanie on 05/06/04 at 11:35 pm

"I Got My Mind Set On You"

Written By: nally on 06/23/04 at 3:53 pm

My favorite solo hits of his are "My Sweet Lord" and "I've Got My Mind Set On You" (the latter of which was parodied by Weird Al).

Written By: blackdog on 06/25/04 at 10:39 pm

My favorite solo hits of his are "My Sweet Lord" and "I've Got My Mind Set On You" (the latter of which was parodied by Weird Al).

I'm with you nally on "My Sweet Lord" and "My Mind set on you"  but as someone said they are a bit repetitive.

Is there a Ringo poll somewhere?   I love Ringo!

Written By: nally on 06/25/04 at 10:45 pm

I'm with you nally on "My Sweet Lord" and "My Mind set on you"  but as someone said they are a bit repetitive.

I know they're a bit repetitive but I like 'em anyway. In fact, I heard "My Sweet Lord" on the radio the other day, and I knew there was a George Harrison song poll, but I hadn't voted in it yet, so I decided to post in it. Of course, I haven't voted yet, since I'm torn between that one and "I've Got My Mind Set On You."

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/26/04 at 8:03 am

I got my mind set on you

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 4:46 pm

All those Years ago
When we was fab
Crackerjack Palace

Written By: fragswife on 02/05/05 at 1:44 pm

My Sweet Lord, then All Those Years Ago  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/05/05 at 6:37 pm

My Sweet Lord
All Those Years Ago
Got My Mind Set On You

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/12/05 at 10:14 am

*bump*

Written By: gord on 03/13/05 at 9:01 am

I've gotta go with his tribute to John 'All Those Years Ago' :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/14/05 at 6:27 pm

I've gotta go with his tribute to John 'All Those Years Ago' :)
Great song, gord :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 3:01 am

My Sweet Lord

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/25/06 at 3:08 am

My Sweet Lord, no contest.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/25/06 at 7:48 am

A few months back I started a thread about this, but...

Anybody see or have "The Concert For Bangladesh"?  It came out on DVD last November, and the DVD is awesome!  :D

In the concert film you'll recognize several rock luminaries besides George, including Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, the (recently) late great Billy Preston, Badfinger, and Leon Russell.

Highly recommended!  :)

Written By: KKay on 06/25/06 at 8:11 am

What is Life  ...my favorite.

I also love Give Me Love

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/06 at 10:18 pm

Got My Mind Set on You at one time was one of my all-time favourite songs.  I still like it alot 8)

Written By: robby76 on 06/27/06 at 10:48 am

"My Sweet Lord" again... sums up a sunny afternoon in the 70s. "Got My Mind Set On You" was great too.

"My Sweet Lord" was re-released in the UK after George's passing. I'm sure it went top 10.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 1:56 pm

"My Sweet Lord" again... sums up a sunny afternoon in the 70s. "Got My Mind Set On You" was great too.

"My Sweet Lord" was re-released in the UK after George's passing. I'm sure it went top 10.
Re-released in the UK in Jannuary 2002 and reached number one for the second time.

Subject: George Harrison Solo...1970-1988

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 3:29 pm

Yup same here.......A good song!! (havent heard it in along time)

Written By: Howard on 07/09/17 at 7:06 am

Yup same here.......A good song!! (havent heard it in along time)

the video is pretty cool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/17 at 9:42 pm

from wiki:

"Two music videos were released for the cover version (originally recorded by James Ray in 1962). The first, directed by Gary Weis, starred Alexis Denisof vying for the heart of a girl in an amusement arcade. It featured Harrison and the band inside of a movie viewer, while the young man tries to win a toy ballerina for the girl. The second, which Weis also directed, depicts Harrison sitting and playing in a study. As the song progresses, furniture and knick-knacks (like a stuffed squirrel, sentient chainsaw, a statue and mounted stag and warthog) begin to dance along with the song. In the middle of the video, Harrison (through the use of a stunt double) performs a backflip from his chair and follows it with a dance routine before jumping back to his seat. The second received significant airplay, and was nominated for three MTV VMAs."

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/13/17 at 9:57 pm

from wiki:

"Two music videos were released for the cover version (originally recorded by James Ray in 1962). The first, directed by Gary Weis, starred Alexis Denisof vying for the heart of a girl in an amusement arcade. It featured Harrison and the band inside of a movie viewer, while the young man tries to win a toy ballerina for the girl. The second, which Weis also directed, depicts Harrison sitting and playing in a study. As the song progresses, furniture and knick-knacks (like a stuffed squirrel, sentient chainsaw, a statue and mounted stag and warthog) begin to dance along with the song. In the middle of the video, Harrison (through the use of a stunt double) performs a backflip from his chair and follows it with a dance routine before jumping back to his seat. The second received significant airplay, and was nominated for three MTV VMAs."

I remember hearing that the amusement arcade video was made for a younger audience while the version with George in the study was more for his core Boomer audience.  I think it's possible that the "study" version might have originally been considered a bit too "old" or "stuffy" for the MTV generation so the "arcade" version was made to hedge their bets, but the one in the study is the one I recall always seeing on MTV and VH-1 back then, I think I only saw the arcade version once or twice. And the "study" version is the one that ended up with the VMA nominations.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/17 at 7:00 am

from wiki:

I always thought that was him doing the backflips.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/17 at 8:42 am

I always thought that was him doing the backflips.  :o
...at that age?

Written By: Howard on 07/14/17 at 2:44 pm

...at that age?

Maybe he got some exercise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/17 at 3:21 am

Maybe he got some exercise.
It is an life long still, you suddenly cannot start back flipping without due care and attention.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/17 at 3:13 pm

It is an life long still, you suddenly cannot start back flipping without due care and attention.

and someone to watch over you just in case something happens during production.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/17 at 6:46 pm

and someone to watch over you just in case something happens during production.
Injuries can still happen when being watched over.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/17 at 5:03 am

Injuries can still happen when being watched over.

He could fall and break some bones.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/23/17 at 4:58 pm

So many great songs to choose from.

Crackerbox Palace, When We Was Fab, Wreck of the Hesperus, I Got My Mind Set On You, I had to go with All Those Years Ago.

Originally written as a song for Ringo, he recorded but did not release it because he felt the vocal range was wrong.  And after the death of John, George took it back and re-wrote it as a tribute song to his friend.

It was also the only time the 3 remaining Beatles would perform in a song together until the Anthology project 2 decades later.  The original drum track by Ringo was kept after the lyric change, and Paul was brought in to provide background vocals.

Of all the Beatles, George performed by far the 2 best tribute songs to their original group.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/01/17 at 10:18 pm

Anybody else really love "This Song":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0i9rjTxhpY

He was embroiled in a court battle at the time defending one of his earlier songs over plagiarism  :-\\

Nonetheless - I love it!  :)

Written By: nally on 08/01/17 at 11:49 pm

He was embroiled in a court battle at the time defending one of his earlier songs over plagiarism  :-\\

Nonetheless - I love it!  :)

I actually don't know that one too well, but I did hear that it had to do with his plagiarism deal with "My Sweet Lord."

I'll take a listen sometime!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/04/17 at 9:05 pm

A couple notes about "This Song", besides the plagiarism case:

- It was the first release from George's 33 1/3 album.  What you might not know: George had been going through a rough patch, musical career-wise. His first solo album, All Things Must Pass, came out with a Bang! - no, a KaBloooiee!!!!!, and George was soaring on top of the world.  A year later his Concert for Bangladesh effort was extremely well received.  And his 1973 album, Living In The Material World, also received critical praise along with commercial success, keeping George in the mix.  But it was to stop there.  His 1974 album, Dark Horse, was hurriedly cut after a long grueling tour, begrudgingly to meet a contractual deadline, and George's voice was shot; the critics had a field day.  A hard fall for an Ex-Beatle.  His next album, Extra Texture, fared little better - by now his fair weather fans had moved on.  So as 33 1/3 got raves from the critics, it was at last a return to George's glory days.

-George's personal life was likely going through changes - I don't know the exact timeline but if you recall, George's first wife left him for Eric Clapton (the Layla that Eric sung about).  It was likely around this time that George's romance with Olivia, his eventual second wife, began.

- 33 1/3 was the first album released on George's own brand new record label, Dark Horse

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...