inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why did NBC try to nix the Peacock...and use that ugly 'N'?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/03/04 at 7:38 pm

I wonder what the execs at NBC were thinking when they tried to get rid of THE PEACOCK!?! That 'N' symbol was just plain UGLY,in my opinion. I remember laying in bed,watching the local news,when I heard that NBC was gonna get rid of the peacock. I thought to myself'the end of an era'. I'm glad that NBC brought him back,although he lost some feathers along the way.

Subject: Re: Why did NBC try to nix the Peacock...and use that ugly 'N'?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/30/17 at 7:45 am

I wonder what the execs at NBC were thinking when they tried to get rid of THE PEACOCK!?! That 'N' symbol was just plain UGLY,in my opinion. I remember laying in bed,watching the local news,when I heard that NBC was gonna get rid of the peacock. I thought to myself'the end of an era'. I'm glad that NBC brought him back,although he lost some feathers along the way.

At the time, the Peacock was just an indication that the show is being brought to you in living color. NBC's official logo was known as the "snake", with NB on top of the C with the letters intersecting themselves together at the middle. 

By the mid-'70s, NBC was starting to lose ground in the ratings to CBS, which it had traditionally ran neck-and-neck with since the beginning, and fast-rising ABC, boosted by new programming like Happy Days, Barney Miller, Baretta, S.W.A.T., Marcus Welby, M.D., The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Monday Night Football, with CBS still going strong with established hits like All In The Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Bob Newhart Show, The Carol Burnett Show, M*A*S*H, Maude, Hawaii Five-O, and The Waltons, along with new or newish hits like The Jeffersons, Rhoda, Good Times, and Barnaby Jones. Although NBC had struck gold with Saturday Night Live in late 1975, its primetime lineup was faltering in the ratings, with forgettable shows such as The Invisible Man, Movin' On, Joe Forrester, Chico and the Man, Doctor's Hospital, and the Tony Petrocelli show, with The Rockford Files, Little House On The Prairie, Sanford and Son, and Police Story about the best it could offer.

Some people believe that the change was to improve its programming, and that's what the revised 1979 version with the "Proud N" peacock provided. But in actuality, it was a means to commemorate its 50th anniversary as a broadcast network (including radio), along with the fact that color TV had pretty much been universal for nearly a decade by that point (that's why you don't see HD as much like you did in the 2000s and early 2010s). Interestingly, the current logo was also anniversary based (the 60th). As far as the design with a red and a blue trapezoid, it just demonstrates the popularity of abstract, avant-garde art at the time. Some stations (mostly in smaller markets) continued to use this logo well into the '80s after the Proud N was introduced in their on-air graphics. Still, it wouldn't be until the fall of 1982 where NBC started to find its groove again.

Written By: aja675 on 11/30/17 at 8:07 am

A8giOAWtQ4g

Written By: nally on 11/30/17 at 5:41 pm

At the time, the Peacock was just an indication that the show is being brought to you in living color. NBC's official logo was known as the "snake", with NB on top of the C with the letters intersecting themselves together at the middle.

I liked the peacock, it was very colorful. Even the reruns of "Laugh-In" retain the peacock intro, which I also like.

By the mid-'70s, NBC was starting to lose ground in the ratings to CBS, which it had traditionally ran neck-and-neck with since the beginning, and fast-rising ABC, boosted by new programming like Happy Days, Barney Miller, Baretta, S.W.A.T., Marcus Welby, M.D., The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Monday Night Football, with CBS still going strong with established hits like All In The Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Bob Newhart Show, The Carol Burnett Show, M*A*S*H, Maude, Hawaii Five-O, and The Waltons, along with new or newish hits like The Jeffersons, Rhoda, Good Times, and Barnaby Jones. Although NBC had struck gold with Saturday Night Live in late 1975, its primetime lineup was faltering in the ratings, with forgettable shows such as The Invisible Man, Movin' On, Joe Forrester, Chico and the Man, Doctor's Hospital, and the Tony Petrocelli show, with The Rockford Files, Little House On The Prairie, Sanford and Son, and Police Story about the best it could offer.

Some people believe that the change was to improve its programming, and that's what the revised 1979 version with the "Proud N" peacock provided. But in actuality, it was a means to commemorate its 50th anniversary as a broadcast network (including radio), along with the fact that color TV had pretty much been universal for nearly a decade by that point (that's why you don't see HD as much like you did in the 2000s and early 2010s). Interestingly, the current logo was also anniversary based (the 60th). As far as the design with a red and a blue trapezoid, it just demonstrates the popularity of abstract, avant-garde art at the time. Some stations (mostly in smaller markets) continued to use this logo well into the '80s after the Proud N was introduced in their on-air graphics. Still, it wouldn't be until the fall of 1982 where NBC started to find its groove again.

Interesting story...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/30/17 at 8:28 pm

Even more interesting, unbeknownst to NBC, the Nebraska ETV (Educational Television) Network was already using an identical "N" logo.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8Or1-qZiEJY/TkzPRSlUi6I/AAAAAAAAIAc/b2GOAY7z1TU/s1600/1975_NBC_LOGO_NEN_Logo.jpg

Nebraska ETV threatened to sue NBC so as a settlement, NBC gave Nebraska ETV $500,000 in new equipment and $25,000 to develop a new logo, so NBC could keep using the big "N."

The best part? NBC spent $750,000 to develop their "N" while Nebraska ETV spent about $100 to come up with the same design.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/30/17 at 9:46 pm

Really, I'd like to see NBC bring back the old 1960's-early 70's "snake" logo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RnnN_9GAro

Subject: Why did NBC try to nix the Peacock...and use that ugly 'N'?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/01/17 at 2:00 am

The best part? NBC spent $750,000 to develop their "N" while Nebraska ETV spent about $100 to come up with the same design.  ;D

Ah man!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/17 at 5:02 pm

Even more interesting, unbeknownst to NBC, the Nebraska ETV (Educational Television) Network was already using an identical "N" logo.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8Or1-qZiEJY/TkzPRSlUi6I/AAAAAAAAIAc/b2GOAY7z1TU/s1600/1975_NBC_LOGO_NEN_Logo.jpg

Nebraska ETV threatened to sue NBC so as a settlement, NBC gave Nebraska ETV $500,000 in new equipment and $25,000 to develop a new logo, so NBC could keep using the big "N."

Too funny.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/06/17 at 6:06 am

It's like when Channel 13 in New York used their old classic logo from the early 1980's:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NCuqlLq1k7o/hqdefault.jpg

and went kid friendly later on with a new logo:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mChOa_EcCmw/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/17 at 6:14 pm

I was too young to remember when NBC used just the N, but I do remember when they brought the peacock back and put it inside the N

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/a0/34/f3a0341ffb4c9cc96fd24519d878da2d.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/17 at 6:20 pm

Really, I'd like to see NBC bring back the old 1960's-early 70's "snake" logo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RnnN_9GAro

NBC had a catchy campaign in the fall of 1978 called "NB See Us'.  I wish they'd bring that back, but since every new fall NBC show that year was a failure, I bet they want to bury those memories lol

q9slsdjRZbs

Written By: nally on 12/06/17 at 11:15 pm

I was too young to remember when NBC used just the N, but I do remember when they brought the peacock back and put it inside the N

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/a0/34/f3a0341ffb4c9cc96fd24519d878da2d.jpg

interesting...

Written By: Howard on 12/07/17 at 5:12 am

Wasn't that during the early 1980's? ???

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/17 at 11:04 pm

Wasn't that during the early 1980's? ???

Yes, from 1979 to 1986, after which they got rid of the N and shortened the feathers of the peacock to create the new logo that is the one they still use today

Check for new replies or respond here...