inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: T-Rex poll

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/05/04 at 7:35 am

I went for "Children Of The Revolution"  :)

Subject: Re: T-Rex poll

Written By: mandamoo on 05/05/04 at 7:37 am

I went for "Children Of The Revolution"  :)

You'd better vote then, Fussy  ;)

'Jeepster' here !

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/05/04 at 7:39 am

You'd better vote then, Fussy  ;)

Well, 'someone' didn't gimme enough time to modify the poll so I could put extra choices in before 'they' voted....  ;D :o

Written By: mandamoo on 05/05/04 at 7:46 am

Well, 'someone' didn't gimme enough time to modify the poll so I could put extra choices in before 'they' voted....  ;D :o

Ha ! You're too slow ! ::) ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 10:31 am

Haven't heard any but Bang-A Gong...so I went with it :-\

Written By: Paul on 05/05/04 at 1:36 pm

'Ride A White Swan' - superb catchy-as-hell song and one of their first 'electric' numbers...

(Were it possible, I'd also have chosen the awesome 'Desdemona' when Marc was with a group called John's Children in 1967...)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/05/04 at 1:47 pm

Actually Fuss, it's "Bang A Gong (Get It On)"....and it's the only song I know by T-Rex.  :-\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 3:09 pm

Actually Fuss, it's "Bang A Gong (Get It On)"....and it's the only song I know by T-Rex.  :-\
Same for me, Karen :-\\

Written By: MooRocca on 05/05/04 at 4:08 pm

Get It On (Bang a Gong) -- I used to have a "best of," so I've probably heard at least some of the others, but darned if I can remember any of them.  The only other title I recognised was Jeepster. 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/05/04 at 10:00 pm

OMG !  People !

Do yourselves a favour and "obtain" from the list everything down to and including at least Telegram Sam.  :o

I can't believe that you never got this stuff there.  :(

Written By: Rush on 05/05/04 at 10:08 pm

Children Of The Revolution for me!!

Written By: Zella on 05/06/04 at 12:01 am

OMG !  People !

Do yourselves a favour and "obtain" from the list everything down to and including at least Telegram Sam.  :o

I can't believe that you never got this stuff there.  :(

We got, it, just very few paid attention. I know "Life's a Gas" got airplay, as did "Jeepster." I have also heard "Teenage Dream" and "Baby Strange" a number of times on the radio many years ago.

Far and away however, I have to go with "Ballrooms of Mars" - one of the most beautiful R&R ballads ever written. :)

Written By: jaytee on 05/06/04 at 2:11 am

Metal Guru - hard choice!

Written By: karen on 05/06/04 at 5:15 am

I voted for Born to Boogie.

I prefer the Bauhaus version of Telegram Sam and the Power Station version of Get It On.

Written By: jaytee on 05/06/04 at 7:33 pm

I prefer the Bauhaus version of Telegram Sam and the Power Station version of Get It On.

No way !!!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/06/04 at 8:17 pm

Scary  ;D

Written By: Lanie on 05/06/04 at 11:23 pm

"Get It On"

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/07/04 at 4:00 pm

I chose "Bang a Gong", but I also liked "20th Century Boy".

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/04 at 9:24 am

Get it On here, too.

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/08/04 at 1:59 pm

Cliche choice, but Bang a gong

Written By: jaytee on 05/09/04 at 6:17 am

Is it just me .... or do others hate it when "Get It On"  is referred to as "Bang A Gong" ?  :-X

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 5:02 pm

Bang a Gong (Get it on)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/24/04 at 5:22 pm

Is it just me .... or do others hate it when "Get It On"  is referred to as "Bang A Gong" ?  :-X

Yes!  In the extreme  ::)  Drives me crazy  :D   <<< See !  But I am learning to live with it, Jaytee  :) 

I am still waiting for someone to explain WHY the US record execs felt the need to change it  ???  (I presume it was the execs, it's hard to imagine the group deciding to change it) ?

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 07/24/04 at 5:45 pm

Deborah

Written By: Paul on 07/24/04 at 6:04 pm

I am still waiting for someone to explain WHY the US record execs felt the need to change it  ???  (I presume it was the execs, it's hard to imagine the group deciding to change it) ?

Still waiting? Okay, it goes like this...

It was indeed the execs, or whoever the powers-that-be were, and it was done to avoid confusion with another (different) song called 'Get It On', which was a hit for Chase over there in the summer of 1971...(the American issue of the T Rex record was issued later that year)...clear as mud?!!

Strange how they never really caught on in America...they did tour there a couple of times, but I gather the reception was muted...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 1:41 am

Maybe the title was deemed too sexual  ???

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 11/20/04 at 12:59 am

That was such a tough choice for me, I had to go with Raw Ramp cuz that was just the song I was listening to and I can't stop listening to it, especially the "electric boogie" near the end of the song.......

Ride a White Swan came in at second by about thismuch and then, oh forget it! I could go on all night talking about which T-rex songs I love the most!

As for Americans not knowing many T-rex songs, I feel bad for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm an American. A 19 year old at that and I am completely taken by T-rex now!!!! I can NOT stop listening to the music at all!

Rio

Written By: Revolution Baby on 11/22/04 at 6:56 am

RR - hunt down an old CEL video titled 'Marc Bolan On Video.'
It's narrated by one Mr. A Ant.
:)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/22/04 at 8:10 am

As for Americans not knowing many T-rex songs, I feel bad for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm an American. A 19 year old at that and I am completely taken by T-rex now!!!! I can NOT stop listening to the music at all!

Rio

Exxxxxcellent Rio  :)  Better late than never  :P

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 11/23/04 at 3:37 am

RR - hunt down an old CEL video titled 'Marc Bolan On Video.'
It's narrated by one Mr. A Ant.
:)

Really?........ :D :D :D

I wonder where I may be able to obtain this video! I only learned about about 10 seconds ago and am already desperatley wishing I had it!!! :o

That certainly sounds like my kind of video though, I have to say! Marc Bolan and Adam on the same video?! Its almost too much to think about!!!!

Oh, thanks for the info, by the way!!!! :D ;D

Rio

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 11/23/04 at 3:40 am

Exxxxxcellent Rio  :)  Better late than never  :P

Thats what I always say..... 8)

I am now thoroughly convinced I was born in the wrong decade, year, or what have you!

Rio

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/07 at 8:57 pm

I picked other for '20th Century Boy'.  In 1987, a Canadian group called Chalk Circle had a smash hit with it, which prompted me to seek out the original T. Rex version, and I love it! 8)

Year 1971 1971 1971 1971 1972 1972 1972 1972 1973 19731973197419741974 1975 1975 1976 1976 1976 1977

Song Title Ride A White Swan Hot Love Get it On / Bang A Gong Jeepster Telegram Sam Metal Guru Children of the Revolution Solid Gold Easy Action 20th Century Boy The Groover Truck on Tyke Teenage Dream Light of Love Zip Gun Boogie New York City Dreamy Lady London Boys I Love to Boogie Laser Love The Soul of My Suit

UK #2 #1 #1 #2 #1 #1 #2 #2 #3 #4 #12#13#22#41#15#30 #40 #13 #41 #42

US #76 #72 #10 -- #67 -- -- -- -- -- ------------ -- -- -- --

CAN #48 #47 #12#73#66#45-- -- ---------------- -- -- -- --

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/01/07 at 3:58 am

If I made a movie from the 70's, this song would be on the soundtrack. "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" because I think the song captures that era nicely and it's my very favorite.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...