inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Origin Of The Bump

Written By: Arthur on 05/06/04 at 1:45 pm

Hi I am new here. The Bump is my favorite dance of all time from the 70s. I am a little curious though how did it start? The way it is it must have an interesting story. Was it something like two girls were dancing in a club a little too close bumped hips liked,kept going and it went on from there or ounce I heard it started on Soul Train. Anybody know?

Subject: Re: The Origin Of The Bump

Written By: kairi747 on 11/08/04 at 12:11 pm

:o

whoa!  i don't know the origin, but it's bringing back painful memories for me!  when i was in 7th grade and my boyfriend was in 8th grade, i would come home after a night of bumping the dance with majorly bruised hips because we were both so skinny!  also remember doing the hustle, but that one didn't hurt!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/04 at 12:45 pm

Actually, it my great-grandfather that orginated the bump-when we were kids, he used to play a game with us called "bumpers". He would pick us up and bump our rumps against the wall.

Ok, ok, so it wasn't the origin of the bump but it does make for a good story.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/08/04 at 5:49 pm

From What I remember,there was a song called "Lady Bump".I forgot who sang it? ???

Howard

Written By: bj26 on 11/09/04 at 11:59 am

I remember at this family party in the 70s, my Mom, 5 foot 0 inches and about 105 lbs dancing with this 6 foot 6 - 275 lb guy named Jerry.  He would bump her and she would go flying accross the dance floor ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/09/04 at 5:41 pm

There's also a song called"Ain't Gonna Bump No More(With No Big Fat Woman) ;D

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 11/10/04 at 12:59 pm

I believe it started in 1975 and I vaguely remember someone one time mentioning how or where it started, but what I remember is so little there just ain't enough brain cells concerning it to come up with a complete thought. Sorry.
:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/14 at 12:16 pm

The Bump was a primarily 1970s fad dance introduced by Johnny Spruce in which the main move is to lightly "bump" hips on every other beat of the music. As the dance (and the evening) progressed, the bumping could become more intimate, bumping hip to backside, low bending, etc. There were several songs that were inspired by the bump, such as "The Bump" by Kenny and "Lady Bump" by Penny McLean, but the song that is most remembered is "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)" by George Clinton and Parliament, which was released in 1976. The lyric in the song is "we want the funk", but has been mistaken for "we want the bump". In the UK, possibly the most popular and evocative song used for this dance was "Nutbush City Limits" by "Ike & Tina Turner".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfthQTqj24

Written By: Paul on 02/24/14 at 4:28 am

I remember at this family party in the 70s, my Mom, 5 foot 0 inches and about 105 lbs dancing with this 6 foot 6 - 275 lb guy named Jerry.  He would bump her and she would go flying accross the dance floor ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sensible idea was to match yourself with a partner approximately the same height - this may have been why platform shoes were popular at the time...

Emergency clinics all over the world must have cursed this dance craze!

'The Bump', as posted above ^ was a Bay City Rollers cast-off! It did surface on one of their flip sides...

Written By: Howard on 02/24/14 at 6:22 am

Emergency clinics all over the world must have cursed this dance craze!

Why? did it cause any injuries? ???

Written By: zcrito on 03/09/14 at 6:38 pm

I don't know when in the '70s, but it looks like it was being done at least since April, 1972...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlnM3F6Ud64
Medley: Hey Man/We Got to Get You a Woman -- The Four Tops.

01:38 and at 04:17.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/14 at 6:32 am

I don't know when in the '70s, but it looks like it was being done at least since April, 1972...

Medley: Hey Man/We Got to Get You a Woman -- The Four Tops.

01:38 and at 04:17.

wow, excellent video. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...