inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lawn Darts

Written By: karen on 05/07/04 at 4:10 am

I remember several people reminiscing about these and complaining about their demise.

I spotted this in a catalogue yesterday and thought about you all.

http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/GBP/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Otoj4_1botP08b3Aa60v5VWb9r9aA2wSVdk=?ProductID=DIbAqAYUgHQAAAD7mLkr1Sql

This company does mail order in the UK but not sure about the States.  You could always ask I suppose; they have the reputation of being a very helpful company.  If all else fails let me know and we may be able to sort something out between us.

Subject: Re: Lawn Darts

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/07/04 at 7:49 am

karen

I know of a certain member who has these close to their heart  :)

Written By: karen on 05/07/04 at 7:53 am

karen

FBVP

I know of whom you speak.  :)

I'm sure one or two others are almost as keen

karen

Written By: mandamoo on 05/07/04 at 10:11 am

I must have lead a sheltered life, 'cause I've never heard of them ! :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/07/04 at 12:20 pm

Same here.  :-\\

Written By: Zella on 05/07/04 at 1:43 pm

Same here.  :-\\

http://webs.lanset.com/azazella/rotatejart.gif

Written By: gemini61 on 05/07/04 at 4:02 pm

If I remember right, weren't they called "Jarts"? And I do remember they were pretty dangerous!!

Written By: AL-B on 05/08/04 at 2:54 am

I got one stuck in my head when I was 9 years old (AND THAT'S WHY I AM THE WAY I AM!!!) :D :D :D

Written By: mandamoo on 05/08/04 at 4:20 am

If I remember right, weren't they called "Jarts"? And I do remember they were pretty dangerous!!

I guess a lot of the things we played with as kids were dangerous, in hindsight. Anything mis-handled and not used under the correct supervision, has that ability. :)

Didn't stop me and my brother playing with slingshots and riding our billycarts downhill REALLY fast ! ;D 8)

Written By: Sentimentalist on 05/09/04 at 3:26 am

Heck, I played Jarts with my niece just 7 days ago!
God lyk!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/09/04 at 9:16 am

karen

Same here, Luke. I wonder who it could be...hmmmm ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/09/04 at 9:17 am

Don't feel bad mandamoo....I had no idea either ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 05/16/13 at 1:16 am

Hey, with all of the recently resurrected threads, I thought I would randomly bring this back form the dad as well.

Personally, I think they should allow Lawn Darts again.  Darwinism needs a little push from time to time I think.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/13 at 3:56 am

Personally, I think they should allow Lawn Darts again.  Darwinism needs a little push from time to time I think.
This would be a good ploy to get children active and off the computers.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 6:25 am

or play lawn darts online.

Written By: warped on 05/16/13 at 6:28 am

or play lawn darts online.

How does "playing lawn darts online" get the children active and off the computer?

Written By: ninny on 05/16/13 at 7:11 am

How does "playing lawn darts online" get the children active and off the computer?

lol ;D Maybe they can play on their laptop or phone outside.

I use to love playing Jarts with my family.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/13 at 11:48 am

I used to play them all the time with my mother & step-father and who ever we could nab for a 4th.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 05/16/13 at 12:13 pm

http://www.bmigaming.com/Games/Pictures/video-arcade-games/target-toss-pro-bags-lawn-darts-video-arcade-game-its-games.jpg

Written By: warped on 05/16/13 at 3:42 pm

If you play lawn darts with Dick Cheney, is it called Lon Lawn Chaney?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/13 at 5:22 pm

If you play lawn darts with Dick Cheney, is it called Lon Lawn Chaney?

Oh, I would LOVE to play lawn darts with Dick Cheney. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/devilgrin.gif

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:18 pm

lol ;D Maybe they can play on their laptop or phone outside.

I use to love playing Jarts with my family.

could be a new app?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/13 at 8:38 am

Outdoors and playing in the back yard or on the lawn.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:16 pm

Outdoors and playing in the back yard or on the lawn.

which is a good way to get kids to get exercise.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:18 pm

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/013/Purple/8a/07/e8/mzl.nucfbums.480x480-75.jpg

There is a Lawn Darts App for your android. ^

Written By: ninny on 05/17/13 at 8:38 pm

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/013/Purple/8a/07/e8/mzl.nucfbums.480x480-75.jpg

Nice, this way I don't have to worry about my sisters bad aim ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/13 at 2:16 am

Oh dear!

Written By: Howard on 05/18/13 at 6:29 am

Nice, this way I don't have to worry about my sisters bad aim ;D

How do you play Lawn Darts?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/13 at 8:40 am

There are a number of variations of lawn darts, including Traditional and Handly Cup Style. Either variation can be played one-on-one or in teams of two. In the team version the players stand with one member from each team at each end (when throwing, they should be sure to stand well back when the other side is throwing) and toss the darts to a target about 35 feet (11 m) away (with variation based on the players' skill and the venue in which the game is being played).

In Traditional Lawn Darts, points are scored when a dart lands in the target area. Usually if a player from each team lands a dart in the target, the scores cancel each other (so if Team A got 2 darts into the target, and Team B got 1 in, Team A would get 1 point and Team B would get 0). Also, some versions of Lawn darts include a smaller "bulls-eye" ring for additional points.

In Handly Cup Style Lawn Darts, scores are based on darts in the ring plus darts closer to the ring than any of the opposing team's darts. Darts landing inside the ring, or "ringers", are worth 3 points each, and can be cancelled by an opponent also throwing a dart into the ring. Additionally, any dart that is closer to the ring (but outside) than any other dart by the opposing team is worth one point. This means that if neither team managed to place a dart into the ring, but Team A had two darts closer than any of Team B's darts, Team A would score 2 points. If Team A had one dart in the ring, and one dart closer than any of Team B's darts, they would score 4 points. If both teams have darts in the ring it is impossible for a dart outside the ring to score any points (as it is farther from the ring than the opposing team's dart that is inside). If Team A and Team B each had a dart inside the ring, and Team A also had a dart outside the ring but closer to the ring than Team B's other dart, neither team would score any points for that round. Handly Cup Style matches typically are played in teams of two, with the pairs alternating, until one teams total score is 21 or more. In addition, for a point to count the dart must stick into the ground.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/13 at 8:42 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Lawndartsthrow.jpg/300px-Lawndartsthrow.jpg

A man throwing lawn darts

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/18/13 at 9:25 am

Oh, I would LOVE to play lawn darts with Dick Cheney. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/devilgrin.gif

Cat

By that, do you mean you'd like to play a friendly game of lawn darts with Mr. Cheney on a nice summer afternoon while sipping mint juleps and having a pleasant and engaging conversation about global politics?

Or does that mean you'd like to tie him to a stake in the middle of the desert and slowly and sadistically fling lawn darts closer and closer to him for hours and hours until you finally stick one in the top of his bald head?

Just wanted some clarification. :D

Written By: warped on 05/18/13 at 9:58 am

By that, do you mean you'd like to play a friendly game of lawn darts with Mr. Cheney on a nice summer afternoon while sipping mint juleps and having a pleasant and engaging conversation about global politics?

Or does that mean you'd like to tie him to a stake in the middle of the desert and slowly and sadistically fling lawn darts closer and closer to him for hours and hours until you finally stick one in the top of his bald head?

Let's Make a deal Monty Hall, I take door #2...

But can I drink a Mint Julep afterwards?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 12:36 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Of course after drinking a couple of mint juleps, your aim may not be quite on target,  ;)

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/18/13 at 1:52 pm

Being a more middle-of-the-road type, I'd be happy with either option. Because the way I see it, in both cases I'd have the opportunity to pick the brain of a former Vice-President of the United States. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 2:02 pm

Being a more middle-of-the-road type, I'd be happy with either option. Because the way I see it, in both cases I'd have the opportunity to pick the brain of a former Vice-President of the United States. :D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/18/13 at 7:05 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Lawndartsthrow.jpg/300px-Lawndartsthrow.jpg

A man throwing lawn darts

sort of like playing horseshoes.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/18/13 at 9:06 pm

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/lawn-darts.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 05/18/13 at 10:27 pm

Hey, we can even use this as a way to shorten the campaign season!

Have the two candidates play lawn darts.  Survivor assumes office.

Written By: ninny on 05/19/13 at 6:16 am

Hey, we can even use this as a way to shorten the campaign season!

Have the two candidates play lawn darts.  Survivor assumes office.

Good idea to bad they have been banned in the US and Canada since the late 1980's after one young girl was killed in California and her dad lobbied for the ban. However it is possible to import the parts and build your own.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/13 at 2:58 pm

Are they that dangerous?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/13 at 12:58 am

Good idea to bad they have been banned in the US and Canada since the late 1980's after one young girl was killed in California and her dad lobbied for the ban. However it is possible to import the parts and build your own.

A rapier in the hands of a six-year-old.
:o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/13 at 2:30 am

sort of like playing horseshoes.
But with a point to the game!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/13 at 2:30 am

Ouch!

Written By: ninny on 05/20/13 at 5:48 am

A rapier in the hands of a six-year-old.

The guys 9 year old son and friends found the set while the dad was putting up a volleyball set, and one of the friends threw it too far.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/13 at 6:08 am

But with a point to the game!

how do you win? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/13 at 6:13 am

how do you win? ???
Horseshoes have no points and Lawn Darts have only one point.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/20/13 at 11:23 pm

Are they that dangerous?

No.  They never were.  They're blunt-tipped objects that you really wouldn't want to get hit by.  So, your parents teach you not to throw them anywhere where people might be.  Same as with firearms, BB guns, or bowling balls: if throwing an object downrange might hurt something downrange, don't throw the object downrange.  Lawn darts were a fun game, but became a symptom - and are now a symbol - of our decline into paranoia.

Written By: ninny on 05/21/13 at 5:54 am

No.  They never were.  They're blunt-tipped objects that you really wouldn't want to get hit by.  So, your parents teach you not to throw them anywhere where people might be.  Same as with firearms, BB guns, or bowling balls: if throwing an object downrange might hurt something downrange, don't throw the object downrange.  Lawn darts were a fun game, but became a symptom - and are now a symbol - of our decline into paranoia.

Yeah a couple of fluke accidents were the parents weren't paying attention ruined it for everyone. Hell my sister was a bad aim but I was never in fear of my life, once you saw it come near you, you ran. I loved Jarts heck I wouldn't mind playing a game.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 6:08 am

What's the difference between darts and jarts? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/13 at 6:11 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Jarts_Canada.jpg/220px-Jarts_Canada.jpg

"Jarts" appears to be the trade name, like "Hoover" for vacuum clearner.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/13 at 2:02 pm

A Jart is a Jedi fart.

Use the Fart, Luke!

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 2:15 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Jarts_Canada.jpg/220px-Jarts_Canada.jpg

"Jarts" appears to be the trade name, like "Hoover" for vacuum clearner.

Are they made of plastic?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/13 at 2:30 pm

EXTREME LAWN DARTS!

Written By: ninny on 05/22/13 at 2:34 pm

Are they made of plastic?

Only the wings, the rest was metal, though I think they did make some all plastic versions.

Written By: ninny on 05/22/13 at 2:38 pm

A company named Jarts In The Heart, was selling pieces online and this is their quote if you were interested in buying

"These Jarts are NOT toys. They should be kept out of reach from children. They should be treated as you would a bow and arrow. These have and will puncture a person. If you have the IQ of a monkey please don't buy lawn darts. I will not sell to anyone under 18. I do not have many sets left so when they're gone they're gone Jarts in Your Heart will not be held liable for any death or injury caused by these Jarts. By purchasing from Jarts in your heart you agree to these terms. Again, I can not stress this enough. If you're an idiot just don't buy Jarts, stick to playing Horseshoes, Baggo or that ladder ball game."

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 6:44 am

Only the wings, the rest was metal, though I think they did make some all plastic versions.

Can you buy it at Toys R Us and for how much? ???

Written By: ninny on 05/23/13 at 7:02 am

They don't sell them anymore, but you can buy something called Backyard darts at Sears or 
Franklin Soft Tip Target Toss Lawn Darts  at Modells for $19.99

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/13 at 8:16 am

...or make your own?

Written By: ninny on 05/23/13 at 9:34 am

...or make your own?

I found this on one site:

A Standard Set of Crown Darts includes an Ivory Dart, four player darts, a rubber delivery mat and set of rings to play both games...Lawn Darts (the traditional game) and Crown Darts (The advanced game) The rules of Crown Darts are not dissimilar to Bowls. Points are scored by the players closest to the marker dart.The game is more difficult because the distance is variable...set by the first player to throw out the Crown Dart. USA and Canadian customers cannot buy this set, but can order spare parts below to the equivalent. Priced at £41.00/set plus £9.00 postage (UK)totalling £50.00GBP.
Some where in Staffordshire.

Since July 2004, we have been able to supply lawn darts parts to US and Canada without contravening any law. Before this date, it was extremely difficult for Americans and Canadians to obtain a new set of real lawn darts on account there has been a sales ban in their country. It is not illegal to own a set. It is just that sales of such items are restricted. We at Crown Darts figured out that by sending out spare part items individually, a normal service we provide all over the world for our customers, this was not classed as buying a full set and customers can assemble their parts together upon arrival.

The guidelines below show how you can order the correct parts needed to create your own set. Don’t be worried about assembly. Crown Darts can be assembled very easily.

To keep ordering simple, we incorporated the price of shipping into the parts:
HOW TO ORDER;

You can order exactly how many darts you want to make your own set, so long as you order one flight, (choose which colour you want) one brass body and one stainless steel spigot (the tip) for each dart.

Click on the order page or ‘buy parts’ page and scroll down and select the part required. Just follow the sequence of information input that comes up to complete the process. Be sure to have the details of address where you want the parts delivering, any special delivery message, for example; ‘please leave around the back if no one is in’ and a payment card such as Mastercard or Visa.

To order the equivalent of our Target Set, you will need to order the following parts; 4 x flights (in two different colours) 4 x brass bodies, 4 x stainless steel spigots and 1 x set of target rings.

To order the equivalent of our Standard Set, you will need to order; 4 x flights (in two different colours) 1 x Ivory Crown Dart flight, 5 x brass bodies, 5 x stainless steel spigots, 1 x set of target rings and 1 x delivery mat.

*this was revised in 2011

Written By: Mushroom on 05/23/13 at 5:46 pm

A Jart is a Jedi fart.

Use the Fart, Luke!

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2717772288/h479565F7/

Written By: Howard on 05/23/13 at 7:19 pm

They don't sell them anymore, but you can buy something called Backyard darts at Sears or 
Franklin Soft Tip Target Toss Lawn Darts  at Modells for $19.99

never played it before.

Check for new replies or respond here...